Long term sustainable growth. Deal with it.

midlandbear

The whole model from root to fruit is for a long term squad and supportive infrastructure that is sustainable when we return to the top. Quick fixes don’t work and we don’t have the finance to do it anyway.
It may take longer than we all want, but we can’t deny the improvement across the board, especially in a European competition we didn’t expect to even get out of qualification for.

We need to stop acting like spoilt weans demanding everything immediately and realise that one of the all time great leaders is at the helm. He’s bringing us back from what was a horrendous mess, to being able to beat the time on their own patch, get out of a very high calibre European group and give us a situation where we can even consider challenging for the league.

We should forget about stopping 9 or 10. Personally it means nothing to me as they know they’ve not been contested. I will take the current model every day of the week, as we are gradually making up the ground and when we go past them, we will have the strength and stability to keep them in their box for a long time.

Ok, so how long do we accept second place is acceptable? How long do we accept no silverware?

Teams with a fraction of our budget are regularly taking points off us but we’ve got to give blind faith into the notion it’ll eventually get better?

I don’t care what anyone says, no major trophy in 9 years is an embarrassment considering the size of our budget compared to every single team outwith Celtic

Reasonable post. Recent games have proved our squad isn't strong enough and we are relying on 8 or 9 players to play at their top level for 60 games a season without injury or suspension, which they patently cant do. We've had fleeting glimpses of the potential but the season is long and we need to be able to change our team and formation and not lose 2 levels.

Ok, so how long do we accept second place is acceptable? How long do we accept no silverware?

Teams with a fraction of our budget are regularly taking points off us but we’ve got to give blind faith into the notion it’ll eventually get better?

I don’t care what anyone says, no major trophy in 9 years is an embarrassment considering the size of our budget compared to every single team outwith Celtic

It's not blind faith. If you take a step back you can see the trajectory is upwards. We simply aren't progressing quickly enough for most people's liking. It's compounded by performances like the one at the piggery showing that 11 v 11 we can do it. We just can't do it over 38 games. Yet.

The longer term risk for us is ripping it up and starting again every couple of years. That would be short sighted and idiotic.

We're all hurting. But we need to hang in there.

When recruitment has been more hit than miss it just feels like shooting ourselves in foot.

we haven’t spent a coin on a midfielder in Gerrards time. Aribo we paid 350k for but he was shifted Into the front three.

Is there long term growth?

The least that Rangers should expect is a title challenge. For that challenge to be essentially over in February doesnt seem much like progression. A Scottish Cup win may well change that feeling, but right now there doesnt look to be youngsters capable of coming in and boosting the squad and it's likely that the first team will need another major overhaul in the summer.

The whole model from root to fruit is for a long term squad and supportive infrastructure that is sustainable when we return to the top. Quick fixes don’t work and we don’t have the finance to do it anyway.
It may take longer than we all want, but we can’t deny the improvement across the board, especially in a European competition we didn’t expect to even get out of qualification for.

We need to stop acting like spoilt weans demanding everything immediately and realise that one of the all time great leaders is at the helm. He’s bringing us back from what was a horrendous mess, to being able to beat the time on their own patch, get out of a very high calibre European group and give us a situation where we can even consider challenging for the league.

We should forget about stopping 9 or 10. Personally it means nothing to me as they know they’ve not been contested. I will take the current model every day of the week, as we are gradually making up the ground and when we go past them, we will have the strength and stability to keep them in their box for a long time.
I concur well said .

Everything is spot on. Including us stopping acting like spoiled weans. I include myself in that.

Would be great if we could build the players not acting like utter shitebags every January / February to supplement it.

Last edited:

I think you should lay the blame for that at the door of the spivs.

Still no excuses for blowing leads against teams in the bottom 6 OP. I get where you are coming from, but losing to the worst Hearts team in living memory and the likes of Killie from winning positions is simply not good enough. I appreciate there is no quick fix, but things should still be better. I dont think it's too much to ask for that we should be winning some silverware by now. I understand over a 38 game league campaign it's going to tough, but our collapse since the break is the biggest concern for me, it's the mentality of it all that baffles my mind.

The problem is the model hasn't yet shown to work. I'm not saying it won't but right now we have no body of evidence to back it up.

We haven't yet made that big sale. We haven't yet shown that we can replace that big sale on a fraction of the price.

The fun starts this summer because I reckon we're punting at least 2/3 important players. Their replacements will go a long way to showing us if the model works.

We have a total rookie manager who seems to be making the same mistakes every week and fails to recognise it.
We have players he keeps picking irrelevant of form and his after match comments are now embarrassing.
We should never be a learning project for anyone and we really are in big trouble as to what our next move is.

It's not blind faith. If you take a step back you can see the trajectory is upwards. We simply aren't progressing quickly enough for most people's liking. It's compounded by performances like the one at the piggery showing that 11 v 11 we can do it. We just can't do it over 38 games. Yet.

The longer term risk for us is ripping it up and starting again every couple of years. That would be short sighted and idiotic.

People are saying we’ve made progress because we’ve beat Celtic but on current form we’ll end up further behind than we were last season and potentially worse off than Pedro/Murtys season

European runs have been great and progress has definitely been made in that area however it’s counter productive as it’s bought Gerrard a lot of leeway.

If we’re taking Europe out of the equation, would you still say we’re making progress? We’ve spent around £20m building this squad and it’s full of players who dont have what it takes when it matters

At what point in the re-build does dropping 10 points in a month (8 of them from winning positions) become unacceptable then?

The standard in the league this season is as bad as it has ever been. We should be wiping the floor with the rest of them, give or take the odd game.

[/we can’t beat shite like killie hearts sheep st Johnstone despite having a wage bill 10x these clubs . Europe has been great and is a bonus but the league is our bread and butter we must do better.

You do realize where we have been for the majority of those nine years.just over five years ago the present board took over a club that had been hollowed out and a stadium and training centre falling to bits.its nothing short of miraculous of how far we have come on since then

When King et al took the helm, when we were finally promoted to to the top league, would it have been deemed acceptable to go this many seasons without challenging for the title? Would it have been deemed acceptable for Celtic to be on the brink of 4 successive trebles and Rangers further away than ever?

They acted swiftly on Warburton, Pedro and Murty, they have then hired a rookie youth coach, backed him with huge investment, yet Celtic who have downgraded massively themselves rack up treble after treble?

If that is sustainable long term growth, then we really are f.ucked.

To have not won even one trophy in a shit scottish league in almost 10 yrs is an embarrassment. What the %^*& is going on behind closed doors. 1 point in 9 against shite. Unforgivable!

When King et al took the helm, when we were finally promoted to to the top league, would it have been deemed acceptable to go this many seasons without challenging for the title? Would it have been deemed acceptable for Celtic to be on the brink of 4 successive trebles and Rangers further away than ever?

They acted swiftly on Warburton, Pedro and Murty, they have then hired a rookie youth coach, backed him with huge investment, yet Celtic who have downgraded massively themselves rack up treble after treble?

If that is sustainable long term growth, then we really are f.ucked.

Not sure if Celtic have downgraded massively in all honesty.

Manager maybe, but certainly not in the playing squad they haven't.

by now we should be destroying the likes of kilmarnock and st johnstone
Why..because we are rangers,rubbish the niar team lost many games to the likes of these teams infact Motherwell thumped us at home the day we expected to achieve niar,I’m not happy but not stupid either we still have a bit to go but I’m pretty sure we will not be very far away next season have faith bro the good times will be back just not today.

I think you should lay the blame for that at the door of the spivs.

Of course they’re the ones who started all this but we’re now in a position where we have by far the second biggest budget in the league.

There gets a point that a line has to be drawn and fans stop looking backwards.

2012 is not the reason that we’ve dropped 10 points since returning from the winter break. Our squad shouldn’t be capitulating in the manner that it is, so let’s look at the causes of that rather than citing 7/8 years ago as an excuse

So how long to we hang in sorry but it is blind faith so we give him say another 3 year a we still haven't won a trophy then what another 3 sorry but being 2nd isn't acceptable.

The issue is, this wasn't a one-off performance.

Apart from the 2nd half against Hibs and the last 30 minutes against Braga we've been rotten since coming back after the winter break. 8 points dropped to teams in the bottom half of the league.

Long term the model may work, but we should be doing better than this in the meantime.

Stopped reading at this point. Can we please stop thinking that excellent footballers somehow translate to being excellent managers?

For the section before - our team has several loan players and we're not capable of punting players on. Can you tell me how that's supportive?

Colour me shocked that a guy who (I think) advocated Gerrard for the job and has a Liverpool and Rangers flag in his avatar wants him to stay.

To have not won even one trophy in a shit scottish league in almost 10 yrs is an embarrassment. What the %^*& is going on behind closed doors. 1 point in 9 against shite. Unforgivable!
Did you expect us to win a major trophy when we were playing in the bottom two tears of Scottish football

I'm not really seeing the sustainable growth.

"At the time of preparation, the forecast identified that the Group would require £10.0m by way of debt or equity funding by the end of season 2019/2020 in order to meet its liabilities as they fall due. The first tranche of funding is required from investors in November 2019. However, the final amount required is dependent on future football performance, European football participation and player trading amongst other factors. "

You do realize where we have been for the majority of those nine years.just over five years ago the present board took over a club that had been hollowed out and a stadium and training centre falling to bits.its nothing short of miraculous of how far we have come on since then

Again, of course I do but we’re now in a position that our budget dwarfs the rest of the Scottish football other than Celtic.

We should absolutely not be faltering the way we have been with the squad we have, so why are we? Players mentality? Manager that has ran out of ideas? Is it our tactics?

Without serious further investment, we won’t be going past anyone.

We should however be regularly beating the rest of the dross in the league. We can't just have players that show up when they fancy it - which appears to be happening now.

People are saying we’ve made progress because we’ve beat Celtic but on current form we’ll end up further behind than we were last season and potentially worse off than Pedro/Murtys season

European runs have been great and progress has definitely been made in that area however it’s counter productive as it’s bought Gerrard a lot of leeway.

If we’re taking Europe out of the equation, would you still say we’re making progress? We’ve spent around £20m building this squad and it’s full of players who dont have what it takes when it matters

The one thing utterly beyond our control is how consistent the scum have been this season. We're heading in the right direction but they have had a significant jump in consistency this year. They can still afford to outspend us in terms of fees and salaries. Therefore even if we're doing okay or better than okay all they need to do is just keep their noses in front.

As SDF says above, the next part of the process for us will be cashing in on the likes of Alfie and reinvesting. We've not been able to do that yet as everyone is understandably fixated on stopping the scum, and for this season that was always going to be more doable with Alfie here than not. However, it hasn't worked (arguably we were cheated out of the first trophy of the season, mind you). Therefore we need to cash in, reinvest and go again next season.

If we rip it all up again I genuinely fear we could be looking at another five years in the wilderness.

Why..because we are rangers,rubbish the niar team lost many games to the likes of these teams infact Motherwell thumped us at home the day we expected to achieve niar,I’m not happy but not stupid either we still have a bit to go but I’m pretty sure we will not be very far away next season have faith bro the good times will be back just not today.

because the wage bill is 35M and we've spent 7M on one player

if you can't beat the likes of st johnstone with that budget you're a fucking failure that's why

Did you expect us to win a major trophy when we were playing in the bottom two tears of Scottish football
No but in 2016 we should have then built from there. Losing 5 pts to crap like bottom team hearts is unacceptable. Mibbe ur comfortable with that. Im not.

Talking sense isn’t going to get you anywhere, not today at least
Agreed with everything, it’s just a longer haul than some can handle

We were cheated out of the league cup a couple of months ago but people have forgotten that and use it as a stick to beat Gerrard with now.

Back