Long term sustainable growth. Deal with it.

Pissed the league away at the same time as last season in as embarrassing a fashion. Where’s the growth and progress there?

Any other manager does that he’s under serious pressure.

The whole model from root to fruit is for a long term squad and supportive infrastructure that is sustainable when we return to the top. Quick fixes don’t work and we don’t have the finance to do it anyway.
It may take longer than we all want, but we can’t deny the improvement across the board, especially in a European competition we didn’t expect to even get out of qualification for.

We need to stop acting like spoilt weans demanding everything immediately and realise that one of the all time great leaders is at the helm. He’s bringing us back from what was a horrendous mess, to being able to beat the time on their own patch, get out of a very high calibre European group and give us a situation where we can even consider challenging for the league.

We should forget about stopping 9 or 10. Personally it means nothing to me as they know they’ve not been contested. I will take the current model every day of the week, as we are gradually making up the ground and when we go past them, we will have the strength and stability to keep them in their box for a long time.

As frustrating as it is, I couldn’t agree more.

Is there long term growth?

The least that Rangers should expect is a title challenge. For that challenge to be essentially over in February doesnt seem much like progression. A Scottish Cup win may well change that feeling, but right now there doesnt look to be youngsters capable of coming in and boosting the squad and it's likely that the first team will need another major overhaul in the summer.
Not sure the squad needs a major overhaul. We have some of the best young talent around in guys like Hagi, Aribo, Morelos, etc.... The main thing is we need to add a few more experienced pros into the mix. Guys that know how to play the percentages when it's needed in order to dig out or hold onto a result at difficult away venues. Katic made it clear today that he's not ready to be depended on every week. Also wasn't impressed by him against Braga in the first half as often didn't make a great attempt to get near enough his man or follow their runs. Anyway, a combination of these young guys maturing and bringing in more experience should be the direction of travel.

Look at what he started with. We were a shambles. Has he made us better? I would say yes definitely. He's made mistakes. Every manager does. We've played some good football under him. If it's our first 11 on the pitch we are a good side. When we have to use our squad player's that's when we struggle. I think the europa is a double edged sword. It takes its toll on the players but it helps our finances. He carries himself well and is a good ambassador for the club. We attract a better standard of player because of him. To change now and bring somebody else in right now would be madness. We've played our cards. We don't have the money to rip it up and start again. I would rather we got behind him and gave him our support.
No problem as I have said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think the issue is more to do with our ability to compete with more than decent teams but struggle badly when up against the cloggers of the spl.
Aye, there's the rub.
We moan that every diddy team plays us like it's their cup final but go out and play mince in their next match.
Are we not doing the same thing right now? Braga must have looked at us yesterday and thought "What the fvck?"

4 trebles in a row is unforgivable. Doesn’t matter where we have came from.
Yip it is an any rangers manager before 2012 wouldn't survive it but things are different now.

We were raped by charletons and yes the board have had five years and made mistakes but people do need to realise that not all the money we have has went to the team it's went to the things that needed fixed as well the stadium the infrastructure of the club.

Sadly its incremental as to building up tothe level we were at previously there is no quick fix without a rich suger daddy there to use us as a play toy.

We are getting better but ultimately it comes to squad depth first 11 I believe we are better than then on form but they have a stronger squad and can generally swap like for like when they need to rotate we can't.

Is there long term growth?

The least that Rangers should expect is a title challenge. For that challenge to be essentially over in February doesnt seem much like progression. A Scottish Cup win may well change that feeling, but right now there doesnt look to be youngsters capable of coming in and boosting the squad and it's likely that the first team will need another major overhaul in the summer.
How can you judge long term growth over an 18 month period? There certainly has been short to medium term growth since Gerrard took the reigns, anyone suggesting otherwise is stark raving bonkers.

How can you judge long term growth over an 18 month period? There certainly has been short to medium term growth since Gerrard took the reigns, anyone suggesting otherwise is stark raving bonkers.
The foundations have been laid for sustainable growth, that growth isn't quick enough for some (not me) of course im not happy how this season is panning out but i still have faith we've got the right manager & coaching staff, also a solid looking infrastructure in terms of facilities and scouting set-up. Name recognition in Gary Mac, Beale, Culshaw & Gerrard will still help us get talent in, talent that we will need in the summer for sure, what positions? that's up for debate.

Yeah, and we’re dropping points from winning positions against teams with a fraction of our budget.

We accuse smaller teams of raising their game against us but it’s exactly what we do vs Celtic and in Europe.

Makes sense when you really think about it, eh?

Of course it does but the point was regarding budgets, we are second in the league and we have the second biggest budget.

Never once did I talk about Rangers underperforming against teams below us however much better and more expensive Rangers teams have lost games to teams where the gap in budgets was even more substantial.

It doesn't matter how big your budget is when the players continually make basic errors which has been the case at Tynecastle, Kilmarnock and Perth.

Last edited:
Back