Looking at long term solutions for Jacks injuries

His unwise decision to prolong his pointless Scotland career has cost him and us one too many times.

He should have been resting and recovering during international breaks, instead of training with a coach who couldn't give two fu**s about managing his injuries, and throwed him an odd 5 minutes here and there.

Time to move on, shouldn't have been kept on last year.

Does PC not mean a solution for Jack long term i.e to extend his career ?

Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be here but that the club might try rehab it so he can play elsewhere next season rather than we risk him now and toss him on the scrapheap in the summer.

Exactly this. He is a signed player and we have a duty of care to our players.

We have a contractual and moral obligation to look after Ryan Jack’s physical and professional wellbeing. Which is exactly what we will do.

We have made him a very rich man for not a great amount in return over the course of his time at our club. A constant sick-note for me and the decision to give him an extra year was madness.

Good opportunity to free up a chuck of wasted wages in the summer. Jack and Roofe at the head of the queue for the exit door.

His unwise decision to prolong his pointless Scotland career has cost him and us one too many times.

He should have been resting and recovering during international breaks
, instead of training with a coach who couldn't give two fu**s about managing his injuries, and throwed him an odd 5 minutes here and there.

Time to move on, shouldn't have been kept on last year.
Totally agree with you.

He should already be away imho, him Goldson and others should have been let go, when an Arfield should have been given an extension.

Exactly this. He is a signed player and we have a duty of care to our players.

We have a contractual and moral obligation to look after Ryan Jack’s physical and professional wellbeing. Which is exactly what we will do.
No decent player would touch us with a bargepole if we ripped up player contracts because they are injured.Ryan Jack has given his all for the club and has brought in millions of pounds of European competition money as part of those squads who have delivered unprecedented success in Europe.

Is it Jacks fault he gets continually injured? No, is is the clubs fault for standing by him, probably.
See Roofe as an example.
Ridvan appears to me to be constantly injured too...do we punt him? No, because we see the talent.
It's very subjective imho.

Been my favourite player, but we shouldn’t be extending his deal - we’ve tried a long term solution before with surgery, it appeared to work when he returned in 2022 but sadly looks to have gone awry.

A good player when fit, was a great dovetail for Tav in bigger games but I’d rather a younger player took his place in the squad. Hopefully he’s fit for some minutes towards the end of the season and gets a send off with a treble.

Well said. Exactly my take on it.

My big hope from this is that our medical staff learn some things that may stand them in good stead in the future.

He should already be away imho, him Goldson and others should have been let go, when an Arfield should have been given an extension.
Arfield was nowhere near good enough at the time he left, he's playing a sub for Charlotte FC for a reason. Giving Jack a new deal was stupid, likewise it would have been madness to give one to Arfield.

Last edited:
How's our Home Grown / Nation Trained list looking for next season?

That's the only thing that might get him an extension, if we're really struggling for numbers in that regard.

Would have loved him available for the run-in, especially Parkhead.

Interesting situation for the Summer. A low cost 1-year deal if we think we’ve solved the issue…
I would love him to be available for the game at the piggery. He would need to be match fit though, which I doubt would be the case.
I think a fit Ryan Jack in the team last Sunday and we wouldn’t have been run ragged like we were in the first half. I’m not saying we would have been the better team but I don’t think it would have been so one sided

Any money spent on this guy next year is a waste and would be better spent elsewhere, fixing his injuries long term is mythical, it’s just not going to happen to allow him to perform at the level we need.

He may well go on and play somewhere else next year, and I hope he does, plenty games but it will never be at a level and intensity that we demand.

I don't even consider him when thinking about our team anymore.

Absolute shame but we need to move on.

Sounds cold but the long term soloution to his injury is his and his future clubs problem

Of course we have a duty of care and to manage the player but more the fact that we absolutely would be off our head to renew and I don’t think we will thankfully

Arfield was nowhere near good enough at the time he left, he's playing a sub for Charlotte FC for a reason. Giving Jack a new deal was stupid, likewise it would have been madness to give one to Arfield.

Hmmm. Not that it is a case of one over the other but Arfield would have offered much more this season if only for the reason that his availability would have seen to that. SA was rarely injured whereas RJ has been a sick-note almost his entire career with us.

You just know he will go to Hearts or Killie play 32 games in a row and be named player of the year.

Philip Helander anyone.

Hmmm. Not that it is a case of one over the other but Arfield would have offered much more this season if only for the reason that his availability would have seen to that. SA was rarely injured whereas RJ has been a sick-note almost his entire career with us.
A 35 year old Arfield, who can't even get a start for Charlotte FC would have offered the square root of nothing, he is well over the hill and nowhere near the required standard.

He was a good servant, but the time of him being any use for us is long gone.

He should get our thanks and be let go once is contract is up. Hugely disappointing for club and player the way is career has panned out with us.

Central Midfield is a bit weird for us at moment imo.

We have Lundstrum who is OOC soon. And there could be difficulties there due to his contract and wages he’s seeking and his age.

We have Diamonde who is a loan to buy option. So I’d say he’s our stick on midfielder for next season at moment. We have possibly Sterling in there (I’d prefer him there) who is a RB and used all over place basically. Lawrence who has only really recently returned from a long term injury and still not quite where he was before.

Cantwell probably more a striker/no 10. Sima a loaned striker/winger., McAusland - winger. Silva - loaned winger/striker

Cifuentes out on loan and unlikely to return.
Raskin, way out of form and out of favour it seems.
Leon King, a CH who possibly could be a holding mid!
And then a bunch of youths. McKinnon, Bailey-Rice, the lad Lyle who is out on loan.
Rumours of Barron, Miller coming in.

There is definitely going to need to be work done in the summer transfer window for that area.

There probably are no solutions and fortunately in a couple of months time, it will no longer be our problem or responsibility to try and find them.

Did his injury issues with us begin when he was injured in a tackle with a Motherwell player and then aggravated while on International duty

I thought he was a potential future captain for us but he just can't string a run of games together and it's time for us and him to move on

A 35 year old Arfield, who can't even get a start for Charlotte FC would have offered the square root of nothing, he is well over the hill and nowhere near the required standard.

He was a good servant, but the time of him being any use for us is long gone.

And compared to Jack...

The only solution is he leaves and Rangers move on as they shouldve last year.

No knock on Ryan Jack but it is somewhat depressing to see him at the club and not available after it was obvs going to be the case if resigned.

I feel having him and the other constantly injured players around the club is a real downer as well as a selection problem for the Manager.

Absolute head scratcher that from the boss. Guess he is just being polite.
I would have said,
6 to 8 weeks to go of season and then he is someone else's problem.
With all due respect, you're either very naive or very stupid if you think that is a comment that would pass without incident.

Club would have the player's union on their back.

Surely you don't need it explained as to why we couldn't make a blunt comment like that?

With all due respect, you're either very naive or very stupid if you think that is a comment that would pass without incident.

Club would have the player's union on their back.

Surely you don't need it explained as to why we couldn't make a blunt comment like that?
Erm no, i was trying to point out how the gaffer was being polite, compared to how i would just blurt out what i am thinking.

Hopefully we see younger and fitter players next season - more game time for McKinnon and Rice would be good but we could also potentially have a fit and revitalised Raskin available

He has all the potential to be another sick note! More time injured than available.

And compared to Jack...
I'll humour you. Jack has played for us 22 times this season, which isn't nearly enough. But it's also 22 times more than a completely over the hill, 35 year old Scott Arfield who can't even get a start for Charlotte FC would have made, as this stage he's so many levels below the required level.

Jack was a pointless singing due to his injury record, Arfield would be due to the fact he's completely over the hill and nowhere near good enough anymore.

Back