Lovelace

If he keeps it up he will be in and around the first team squad next season.

Age shouldn’t come into it but the management team will do what they think is for the best.

If he keeps performing for the B team then I hope he’ll be in match squad for the upcoming cup game against QOTS.

He seems to be the real deal. Got high hopes for him!

Much closer than you think. I won’t be surprised if he steps up to the first team squad around New Year, in the same way as King and Lowry did last year and gets a little bit of game time before the season is done. He looks like no 16 year old I have ever seen. He is an absolute physical unit. The boy looks a player.
Derek Johnstone was 16 when he scored against them, should get his chance sometime this season I would have thought.

Reactions: ald
I find it funny all these people saying age isn't important, if he's good enough he's old enough etc have probably only seen 3 clips of him on twitter.

Weston scored about 40 goals for the B team at 18 last season and was nowhere near the first team. The quality of the lowlands league is horrific.

If the management team thinks he's good enough then he'll be involved but a few goals against amateurs won't dictate that.

I find it funny all these people saying age isn't important, if he's good enough he's old enough etc have probably only seen 3 clips of him on twitter.

Weston scored about 40 goals for the B team at 18 last season and was nowhere near the first team. The quality of the lowlands league is horrific.

If the management team thinks he's good enough then he'll be involved but a few goals against amateurs won't dictate that.
Looking forward to seening how Weston gets on at Partick

Stating if you good enough you’re old enough i funny is it? Seems like common sense to me.

Not seeing him play doesn’t change that statement.

There might well be but there's a world of difference between the Lowland League and our 1st team level.
There is. But that makes a generalisation about the B team. Watch that B team and you can see that most of them are young lads, not men. They have the physique of youths. IMHO Lovelace is different. To me, he looks like he has the physique to handle men’s football as well as plenty of talent. Now it is early yet; he has only been with us a couple of months. Maybe his form will dip. Maybe he’ll pick up an injury or two. Maybe others will step up and move past him. But if I was betting on the next one - after King, Lowry and McCann - to make the step up then my money is on Lovelace and I won’t be surprised if he is only tracking 6 months or so behind them.

26 minutes or something.

Weston played for Blackpool’s first team.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, because physically he’s developed a lot more than most his age.
Hopefully Weston scores and gets a good run at Thistle as looked a class apart for the B team all the way through.

Playing that higher level of opponent and full time players should help strengthen them.

There is. But that makes a generalisation about the B team. Watch that B team and you can see that most of them are young lads, not men. They have the physique of youths. IMHO Lovelace is different. To me, he looks like he has the physique to handle men’s football as well as plenty of talent. Now it is early yet; he has only been with us a couple of months. Maybe his form will dip. Maybe he’ll pick up an injury or two. Maybe others will step up and move past him. But if I was betting on the next one - after King, Lowry and McCann - to make the step up then my money is on Lovelace and I won’t be surprised if he is only tracking 6 months or so behind them.

I'm not disputing his talent or anything its clear from the highlights I've saw of him he looks one for the future. My point is more we had similar noise round Alegria last season for example (I appreciate different players etc) and he went on loan and done nothing. Lovelace's next step if he keeps doing well will be a loan in January to a better level.

Lovely finish from Lovelace there, how far away from the first team is he? Looks really good in any clips I’ve seen of him.

A good bit away.

There's a huge gulf between B team opposition and 1st team opposition.

He's certainly too good for the B team though, so maybe a good 6 month loan in the Scottish Championship would be the next realistic step.

I'm not disputing his talent or anything its clear from the highlights I've saw of him he looks one for the future. My point is more we had similar noise round Alegria last season for example (I appreciate different players etc) and he went on loan and done nothing. Lovelace's next step if he keeps doing well will be a loan in January to a better level.
You might be right re a loan. I am not so sure he won’t be one of the ones who skips that step however. I didn’t actually sense much noise around Alegria last season but maybe there was. I don’t think he was even viewed as one of the better B team players. To me, Lovelace looks a totally different quality to Alegria.

Regardless, if Lovelace comes through at all we’ll all be delighted. If he does it at an early stage then we’ll all be even more delighted.

I’d have thought our coaches will let Gio and his staff know if they believe he’s worth training with the 1st team squad. I’m happy to hear he’s doing well right enough. Keep up the good work young fella and you will get your chance.

The one size fits all approach people have with regards to youth development confuses me. If the rumours of Lovelace impressing the management in training are true I really doubt he’s ‘miles away’. One 16 year old player isn’t at the same stage of development as another 16 year old.

Btw, is Lovelace the youngest player in the B-Team?

Anyone that has seen alegria and this lad and even tries to compare them need a serious eye test. Lovelaces movements,touch is way ahead. Boy looks really really good.

Played for Millwalls 1st team, so don’t get he’s miles away from our 1st team. Age shouldn’t come into it, don’t buy that shite.
Agree.
If the lad can cope with first-team football and he is capable of scoring at that level, then he is in the frame.
Derek Johnstone is the prime example of the adage that if you are good enough, then you are old enough.
This lad didn't leave the first team squad at Millwall to come up to Scotland and settle for our B Team.
Gio will be more than aware of his goalscoring exploits.

I'm always reminded of David Moyes describing a 16 year old Wayne Rooney as a boy with a man's body. Some 16 year olds develop physically quicker than others. DJ is another who springs to mind. With Lovelace getting a few minutes with Millwall's first team I assume he's more physically developed than most 16 year olds. Still, it doesn't mean he's yet ready for regular football against fully grown adults.

The one size fits all approach people have with regards to youth development confuses me. If the rumours of Lovelace impressing the management in training are true I really doubt he’s ‘miles away’. One 16 year old player isn’t at the same stage of development as another 16 year old.

Btw, is Lovelace the youngest player in the B-Team?

Agree with this it's fairly ridiculous when folks try and claim a 16 year old doing well for us 50 years ago means this one will too.

2 goals for the first team in a friendly a goal every game for the b team and everyone associated with b team saying it won't be long until he's in and about the first team...... 16 or not he's cleary he's not miles away.

Are you counting the BCD game against Queens Park reserves as a 1st team game?

I really like the look of Lovelace, but that's a bit of a jump mate.

Despite the goal, he’s a fair bit off the first team according to a friend of mine who was playing with Cumbernauld Colts yesterday

Barry Ferguson was 19.
Most young players are held back and allowed to develop due to their physicality and game understanding rather than ability. As you know virtually all do not make it top level.

The physicality aspect does not apply with Lovelace. The game understanding probably does.

Time will tell but IMO he is already far and away our best U19.

Hopefully he continues to learn the game and we have a star.

Most young players are held back and allowed to develop due to their physicality and game understanding rather than ability. As you know virtually all do not make it top level.

The physicality aspect does not apply with Lovelace. The game understanding probably does.

Time will tell but IMO he is already far and away our best U19.

Hopefully he continues to learn the game and we have a star.
I haven’t been able to make any of the B team games of late, so can’t comment on how he compares to the other players we have.

Agree with the physicality point.

Miles away I'd imagine. Boy looks a real talent but our first team is a massive massive step up from the level he's currently playing at. Still excited about him for the future but I don't think he'll be involved anytime soon.
Exact same was said about Patterson, King, Lowry and McCann. It comes down to the individual - how much he wants it. Some rise to the challenge, many don't. We might see him training with the 1st team and decisions will be made then.

I can only speak, historically.
Only Derek Johnstone has done it in 150 years
Alex Scott played and scored in his first game at 17, what age did Willie Henderson first appear in a Rangers jersey and there’s many more, only we go by age, what happened to abilities

Can’t be any longer than 2 until he signs a professional contract at 18.
I thought they could only sign two year deals at 16 myself, however @Valley Bluenose found something on the SFA site that says 3 years.
They can sign a pro contract at 16 or, more precisely, at school leaving age. I thought two years max, same as you guys. However, I got bored and had a look around the SFA Rules and it seems I was wrong. I was, like you, convinced it was a maximum contract of two years. In fact I’m near certain that’s what Rangers routinely offer. However, here’s what it says in the SFA Handbook Page 199, and it seems it’s 3 years when u18 and 5 years when over 18:

4.3 A Player, who is under 18 years of age at the date of signing as a Professional Player upon the Registration Form may only be registered for a period not exceeding 3 years. Any clause referring to a longer duration within the relative agreement between the Player and the Club shall not be recognised and in such circumstances, the Player’s registration shall cease after 3 years, from the date of the signing as a Professional Player upon the Registration Form.

4.4 The registration of a Player who is 18 years of age and over at the date of signing the Registration Form may be registered for a period up to but not exceeding 5 years from the date of the signing of the Registration Form. Agreements of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national laws.

Back