Lovelace

Knowing his game him & Rabbi would link up perfect they both can read the game & other players movement

The fact that Derek Johnstone keeps getting used as an example shows how rare an occurrence it is.

For me, a 16 year old is too young to push up into the top team. They're still growing into their body / mind and you could absolutely burn a player out playing them too fast too young.

I think you have to nurture the talent you have with a view to having them contribute at 18/19

I don’t think we will ever see this boy play for Rangers first team sadly.

He’s only 16 and we have only been able to sign him on a 2 year deal.

He will be snapped up by an English team when he’s 18.

If we can show him a pathway into the first team then we could re-sign him on a longer deal.

By all accounts he knocked back a few clubs to sign for us so he must see some kind of future here.

If we can show him a pathway into the first team then we could re-sign him on a longer deal.

By all accounts he knocked back a few clubs to sign for us so he must see some kind of future here.
We won’t though. He won’t see first team football aged 16 or 17 and probably not 18 either. We just don’t do it.

The fact people are having to go back 50 years to big DJ is all the evidence you need.

We won’t though. He won’t see first team football aged 16 or 17 and probably not 18 either. We just don’t do it.

The fact people are having to go back 50 years to big DJ is all the evidence you need.

If he is a stand out in the B team then he will get involved with the first team similar to the way King, Lowry & McCann all have been recently.

He's only 16 but he is built like a grown man. I could see him being involved in the 2nd half of the season.

Said it before his got big ambitions but that's why we need to start nursing him in to the first team other wise he will definitely look to go asap

Leon King made his debut at 16.

Willie Henderson was 17 and playing regularly with us

You're talking about the best 2 young players ever to come through our youth ranks and the most recent of them was 52 years ago.

That shows you how rare an occurrence it is.

I like the look of Lovelace, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and give Gio and his staff time to assess him and work out a plan for him.

It may well be a loan, or joining the 1st team squad.
It's very unlikely he'll be staying with the B team much longer imo.

Leon King made his debut at 16.

He's still a good bit away from our 1st team and may have struggled to make the bench on Saturday, had Davies been fit.

If we're being realistic, all of King, Lowry and McCann are still a fair bit away from regular 1st team football.

There's a good few better options still ahead of them, in their positions.

It's not easy to break into a side like our's, with so much depth of quality in every position.

It's a gradual development process, unless you're really special.

Its almost as have numerous academy players haven’t made debuts in the last 4 years, if they are showing up well then they’ll get a taste and it’s over to them to keep developing.

Could probably name 12+ off the top of my head.
Exactly. Think it’s quite clear already that unless Lovelace suffers an injury or regresses in some other way then he will at least make an appearance for the first team – very likely this season.

And two years later how many first team games will he play this season?

Answer-hardly any.

The likes of big Lovelace won’t put up with that.
You make it sound like King wasn’t highly sought after, before signing a new deal in January.

We don’t know what he thinks his development path will be or what his expectations for game time over the next couple of years are.

I’m hopeful he will follow the same path as Lowry/King/Patterson, but there’s no guarantee he will.

Last edited:
Exactly. Think it’s quite clear already that unless Lovelace suffers an injury or regresses in some other way then he will at least make an appearance for the first team – very likely this season.
Lovelace is a few injuries to key players away from a first team start.

He is still raw but will improve his game and push for recognition this season.

FCDF6123-659-D-472-F-9507-91919-E2-E9-B5-B.jpg

ThErE’s GoAt TaE Be Ah PaFf FuR Eh YoOf InTaE eH fUrST tEaM
That's mature. B-D

Back