Lundstram contract situation.

For me, let's see where we are at the end of the season.
Massive games still to play, where he can influence.
Let's hope he does.
And if he does, and we go on to have a very successful season, then what will happen will happen.
If Phillipe and Nils want him to stay, and accommodate him, he probably will.

I can't see him staying, last big contract while playing well he won't be decreasing wages.

I think he's been great but let's see where we are at the end of the season and how he performs in the 2 OF's and split. These games will define which positions need upgrading and who is really good enough.

He’s got the rangers bug, some players just get it . Excellent season soo far . No brainer to offer a new contract . And if so , I’m sure he would accept .

Agreed.

He's ok against the jobber sides in SPHell, but in the big games he usually looks lost, took slow and doesn't think quick enough.

We need a quicker thinker and someone more dynamic who doesn't turn like the Titanic.

And someone who makes less passes between him and Goldson would be nice.
That's just categorically and objectively nonsense.

Lundstram's best performances have been in the Europa League.

That's just categorically and objectively nonsense.

Lundstram's best performances have been in the Europa League.
We should resign Lundstram but only with the right deal. Our wage bill is way too high for what we are getting on the pitch.

Am sur Clement knows what he is doing and Koppen seems to know his stuff. So we have to trust them to get this right.

He has improved massively since big Phil came in, some games he has dictated from the middle, new contract should be on the table but has to work for the club as well. Clear how much he loves the club & wants to stay, just a case of whether, if he gets a new contract he will have the same determination or drive. Time will tell.

I like Lundstram but would be more concerned about losing his influence than his footballing ability.

I may be in the minority but despite an upturn in performances these past few months, I would not be disappointed to see him move on.

Hes a good player and has proved to be a successful signing all things considered but given his age and not infrequent mistakes with the ball it wouldnt be quite the loss some are thinking.

Can you talk us all through these?

Can you talk us all through these?
I think he wastes a lot of attacking opportunities by hitting long shots which cause the opponent no trouble and ultimately give up possession freely. Its a really poor return for the number of times he tries it and yet he seems to think its always on for him.

Hes also not above being a little slack in the pass and letting the opposition nick it off Rangers. That is exacerbated by him not being fast enough to recover if its a very quick break away,

Im not suggesting his mistake laden but I think at times his decision making could be a little sharper.

Ultimately hes 30 and not going to sign a one year deal so lets assume it would be 2-3 years. Hes walking away for nowt at the end of that whatever the length and realistically we've probably seem the best of him in the years hes been here.

Getting him for nothing was super business and hes been a big part of the team in his time here.

There is nothing wrong in saying we've done really well out of it as has he and now its time for both to move on because we're each at different places from where we were 3 years ago.

What would be slightly misguided would be to sign him for another 3 years thinking we'll get the same 3 already enjoyed because it wont happen and not even close.

Would I be happy with him signing a year extension? Indeed I would but its highly unlikely he would take it. So all in, from Rangers perspective its maybe better to move on.

Minds better than mine will decide this, but, given our stated signing model, surely some thought must be given to letting him go and replacing him in midfield with Sterling.
Our model assumes every player can be sold if the price is right but not that all players will be sold. We need consistency in selection to win trophies so only a small number of players will usually be sold each window. Constant changes don’t help us win anything.

What would be slightly misguided would be to sign him for another 3 years thinking we'll get the same 3 already enjoyed because it wont happen and not even close.

Genuine question for those telling us signing Lunny to the next 3/4 years is the no brainer they're saying it is.

If the next 3/4 years JL's form plays out along the same lines as the last three - signs of undoubted ability, periods of good form but even longer periods of mediocrity including signs of a poor attitude and very, very rarely showing up against that mob - would it still be worth it ?

You're paying big bucks for him to be a core member of the spine of the next Rangers team. I don't think he's given us anywhere near enough over the 3 years to justify it.

Last edited:
Another three years of Lundstram disappearing against Celtic whilst Yahoos rack up medals sounds a great idea to me.
He won’t have a better chance to show something against them in a week or so.

He will be playing against a half fit McGregor and Hatate. If he can’t dictate that, he never will.

Hold fire in any new deal til nearer end of season

Genuine question for those telling us signing Lunny to the next 3/4 years is the no brainer they're telling us it is.

If the next 3/4 years JL's form plays out along the same lines as the last three - signs of undoubted ability, periods of good form but even longer periods of mediocrity including signs of a poor attitude and very, very rarely showing up against that mob - would it still be worth it ?

You're paying big bucks for him to be a core member of the spine of the next Rangers team. I don't think he's given us anywhere near enough over the 3 years to justify it.
Nobody has said just signing him is a no brainer. A few have said if the money is right, then it absolutely is. Renewed deals carry additional costs in terms of signing on fees and agents fees, but they are significantly lower than the costs involved in bringing in a new player. If he is willing to take a sensible wage offer and there is no fee and lower costs, then it absolutely makes sense to keep him around, particularly when he clearly gives us much more when involved in a better team, with better players and with trophies to play for, which we should have going forwards. Add in all the associated risks involved in bringing in a new face, the fact we will be losing a minimum of 6 first team players this summer, then there really is little to consider when deciding to offer him a deal that suits us financially or not. If the player wants more than the club feels is right, it is a no brainer to shake his hand, thank him for his time at the club and move to another target.

There is literally no thought needed in the equation beyond 'How much per week is he worth to us'? and then offering him that amount. If the figures match, he stays, if they don't, he doesn't.

Genuinely not fussed who goes or leaves this season as long as we get the appropriate transfer fees. I have trust that Clement and Koppen will have the names of players we need to take us to the next level.

Genuine question for those telling us signing Lunny to the next 3/4 years is the no brainer they're saying it is.

Couldn't agree more.

Looking at his overall contribution over his time here, it's been inconsistent at best

Or simply big Phil gets the best out of him and big Phil can only go with what he’s witnessed since he arrived and that’s that he has a quality midfielder under his wing.

Big fan of lundstram but we need to think long term too, If him Goldson and Tav are our three leaders then really we should be trying to replace them one at a time over the next few seasons with quality rather being naive in the market again

Last edited:
He will rightly be looking for 1 last big deal at his age. It's not something we should be giving him.

I'd like to keep him but not on a big 3 year deal which he will get offered down south.

Lundstram is getting a harsh pegging here for supposed disappearing v Celtic.

It's happened, sure, but none more or less than other midfielders who have played for us with far higher profiles, he has also had games when he has been excellent v them
One game he was excellent against them. The 2-1 Cup semi final. Every other outing he's been overshadowed and outplayed by McGregor, whom himself isn't a superstar

Its very normal for a player to put in a great season when his contract is up for renewal.

Quite often the next season sees a big drop off, partly due to lack of motivation and partly because of the effort they put in the season before.

Lets see where we are in May.

At the moment I'd give him no more than another 2 years and on no more than £20k a week.

If the wages he's looking for a going to eat into our wage bill then I'd rather replace Lundstram with a younger player.

He’s been one of our best and most consistent outfield players this season.

What he gets paid is a matter for the club not me and he’s be one of the first names on the teamsheet for

All sounds like the usual agent postering to get the best deal possible for the player.

Giving him a 3yr deal would be similar to the Goldson contract situation which I think we will eventually regret (& Goldson has a lot more credit in the bank than Lundstrum).

I'd like someone more dynamic in his position (although I do agree he has flourished under Clement)

He most likely wants to stay and we’d be happy if he did to be honest .
However, at his age , financially it makes no sense for either party for that to happen.

If he decides to stay, it seems it will only be because no clubs in England actually want him based on the brain dead criteria some on here apply to Goldson.

I would expect it is more likely he takes his time and weighs up the decision given it's likely the last truly defining contract of his career.

What brain dead criertia? Goldson is a liability. He will increasingly become a bigger liabilty as we go forward.

I for one believe that Big Phil will be putting his own stamp on the squad and that the squad will be completely different after the next few transfer windows. That means that anything longer than a 2 year extension for JL would be madness. That goes for all players who's age dictates that they will gradually get that wee bit slower, more injury prone, take longer to recover etc.
And that is no reflection on any individual, simply an opinion of where PC will want to take us.

Consistently one of our best players week in week out, and usually always available.

Those wanting him to go are probably the same ones wanting us to get rid of Tav and Goldson too.

Who exactly is it we have in midfield that can be relied on to keep fit ? Jack, Dowell, Raskin, Cantwell, Lawrence, Sterling (who has only started about 3 games in midfield for us) Lowry, Cortes, Matondo.

Back