Lundstram contract situation.

Good.

If true, I'm glad to hear that the club are not rolling over to his unrealistic demands.

I don't want him to stay, but if he is to stay, the most I would give him would be 1 year with a wage reduction and he would only be a squad player.

Only clement decides who is a squad player or not, on evidence there’s no chance of him being a squad player.

There’s no value in giving him 30k a week at his age those wages should be for match winners he ain’t 1 if he wants 15-18k a week ok otherwise we go our seperate ways

I wouldn't be shocked if both parties aren't waiting to see if we win the league.

If we know there's guaranteed football/income, it would suit both the player and the club for him to sign. But if he's asking for more and we don't have that, it's a different story.

For what it's worth I want him to stay.

We need to be ruthless when it comes to moving players on and getting value from our players.

If he's not happy with what's being offered, then let him go. He won't get a Premiership club offering him a contract, and he certainly won't be playing European Football if he wants to remain in the UK.

Bit of a win win this one. If we can get him on less cash then we've secured a good player who the manager rates. If we move him on, then we free up significant wages to invest in a younger player. I like Lundstram, but not bothered one way or the other. I trust the gaffer.

Since the start of the season, he's been the most reliable outfield player in nearly every game imo.

Not since the start of the season IMO. He's improved under Phil but he still doesn't justify the outlay we've already spent on him or what we'd be expected to spend on him over the next 3 or 4 years.

Lunny's a good player on his day but hand on heart how many times have we saw it ? He's still nowhere near the levels he was under Gio for three months(and BTW he liked Gio for a while before he chucked it towards the end) and bar one game at Hampden where he bullied Hatate, he's been miles off it against Celtic.

Tying up another huge wage for multiple years on a guy in his 30's would be mental.

I am on the fence with this one.

I wouldn’t be upset if we got him signed again and also wouldn’t be upset if you used the funds to bring in a younger player.

There is no resale value on Lunny and that has to be a priority but he has been consistent and we need some experienced players in the squad.

Not every player has to have a resale value

Wanted him to stay based on his form under Clement but not too fussed if he goes. To us he simply isn’t worth 30k a week for another 2/3 years.

He’ll get that down south no problem so good luck to him if he does move on.

We will be able to replace him with a younger player, cheaper and with sell on value.

Forget the player and look at the facts he's in his thirties and has no sell on value. We should be shaking hands and saying thank you at the end of this season.
100%

PC already mentioned that this was the way forward.

It is a no brainer to sign him up for 3 years if his wage demands are reasonable. We have a partial rebuild ahead, he is a senior player and one of our leaders and economically it would be cheaper to keep him than fund a replacement. If the costs are simply a renewing of the wage rather than transfer fees, agents fees etc etc (there will still be some of that involved, but a lot less), we know what we are getting and it would make sense to keep him on board. If he is expecting a wage rise and a big signing on fee, we would probably be better off looking to spend it on someone with resale value.

As he is out of contract, he might have some more lucrative offers from down south on the table that we won’t be able to match (large signing on fee). So he may already be aware of an offer on the table from elsewhere or is waiting to see if something comes up before putting pen to paper at Ibrox. I wouldn’t hold it against him, this will most likely be his final payday.

Does highlight that we must get better at handling contracts!
How would you have handled this situation?

At the end of last season, nobody would’ve given it a second though if Lundstram left along with Kent, Morelos, Arfield, Colak, Helander and Sakala.

He only really hit the form that’s even giving him the option of a new contract around Oct/Nov, by which time he was only a couple of months away from being able to speak to other sides.

The club isn’t to blame in this situation. If we’d given Lundstram on his end of last season form a 3 year deal then there would’ve been threads popping up all over the place.

The manager has openly said he wants to keep Lundstram and that he is one of his most important and influential players so in my opinion he should be kept on that basis and that comes with a decent wage. Jack is done, Diomande is still learning, it seems a lot want Raskin out, Cantwell plays further up, Lawrence is injury prone.

By letting him go we’re reliant on Dio and Sterling so would probably need to bring in another 2 midfielders and hope they don’t pick up injuries, whilst we know Lundstram is available pretty much every game.

Yes heard this as well Rangers offered 2 years and a small wage cut.

Hes looking for more security as got young children.

Time will tell as things can change quickly
Exactly, I’ve a feeling there’s a lot more legs in these negotiations but was miles apart a couple of weeks ago.

He has definitely been one of our top players this season and is one of the main leaders on the pitch. The counter argument is a lot our biggest earners are players that will not have much of a sell on value, we could invest that money in a good young player that we can sell on for a profit.

My preference would be we get the deal done but it has to be a deal that works for the club, if he want a final big pay day then he will get that elsewhere although wherever he goes will be a step down.

If Clement wants to keep him then we have to back the manager however Clement may want to use the money differently and bring in his own players as freeing up his wages may be a big help to strengthening the team.

I'd be looking to sign him up for 2 years to give us some continuity and retain our most influential midfielder for next season. The manager is likely to be revamping almost our whole forward line as well as moving on other defensive minded midfield options like Jack and Raskin.
But I'd look to sell Lundstram next summer at 31 and with a year still left on his deal, we should get enough for him to have paid off the wages he got in that 1 year.

JL won’t get anywhere near £30k from anyone in the UK. He’s not the level for premiership clubs and Championship clubs won’t pay the money. If it’s a bigger wage he’s after I think his ship has sailed. He could be left signing for a much less wage than we’ve offered for a pishy club. Needs to think carefully.

He’s been offered a two year deal on less money he’s on so I doubt he’s staying.
I would like him so stay, but that doesn't sound like an unreasonable offer.

If his wages are kept the same, he could even have a small increase, and end up taking home less as his signing on fee would now be removed from his deal.

That is the reality.

If he can get better elsewhere, then fair enough. I think he would leave with the good blessings of most of us.

Seems to enjoy playing under PC and he surely must be savouring the european campaigns as he heads into latter stage of his playing career.

If it's all just about money though (& he's perfectly entitled to that stance) then I'd wish him well and we move on.

Hope something can be worked out though. He's a very handy player to have around.

JL won’t get anywhere near £30k from anyone in the UK. He’s not the level for premiership clubs and Championship clubs won’t pay the money. If it’s a bigger wage he’s after I think his ship has sailed. He could be left signing for a much less wage than we’ve offered for a pishy club. Needs to think carefully.
I’d imagine he and his agent will know exactly what’s on offer elsewhere .

I’d pull the contract offer he’s on huge money and let’s not forget he’s been largely disappointing most of his time here.

A good half season under Gio and same same under Clement that’s not what we need to win trophies and league titles.

We need consistency and he doesn’t give us that over his time here.

On reduced wages and he drives us to a title then so be it but history will tell us next season he has every chance of not turning up again.

He’s probably been our most consistent player since clement came in but I wouldn’t be spending 30k a week wage on someone which in all likelihood isn’t going to get better with age.

The brutal reality is if we can’t get a player aged 23-26 to sign on a 4 year deal for the same money and have the potential of us getting a transfer fee down the line this is the course we should be taking.

If John Lundstram thinks he is going to get a better sporting offer than us then he’s on cloud cuckoo land.

If he wants purely the money then there’s plenty places he can go.
Completely agree.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that we could bring in two very good players for what we are paying Lundstram.

Yes heard this as well Rangers offered 2 years and a small wage cut.

Hes looking for more security as got young children.

Time will tell as things can change quickly
No deal it will be ta ra and let us move on to someone who wants the job,that's the way of things ,I don't believe he is not well paid by us at the moment so if he is holding out it would be best to let him try and find alternative employment we had enough with Goldson without another one at it

100%

PC already mentioned that this was the way forward.
People seem to have misconstrued PC's earlier comments on the number of players leaving for free in the summer as an indication we should renew most of them.

We should obviously try to avoid this kind of upheaval during one summer, but most of these deals are expiring for a reason

I dont think id chuck the kitchen sink at of our squad to stay. Whether it be the wage they are on or age etc.

He's got a decision to make, does he stay playing for club, in front of 50k and big euro nights for less money than a championship/league 1/USA contract

He'll be worse off financially, but will have much more football satisfaction

Not since the start of the season IMO. He's improved under Phil but he still doesn't justify the outlay we've already spent on him or what we'd be expected to spend on him over the next 3 or 4 years.

Lunny's a good player on his day but hand on heart how many times have we saw it ? He's still nowhere near the levels he was under Gio for three months(and BTW he liked Gio for a while before he chucked it towards the end) and bar one game at Hampden where he bullied Hatate, he's been miles off it against Celtic.

Tying up another huge wage for multiple years on a guy in his 30's would be mental.
He’s been excellent for many games this season.

How would you have handled this situation?

At the end of last season, nobody would’ve given it a second though if Lundstram left along with Kent, Morelos, Arfield, Colak, Helander and Sakala.

He only really hit the form that’s even giving him the option of a new contract around Oct/Nov, by which time he was only a couple of months away from being able to speak to other sides.

The club isn’t to blame in this situation. If we’d given Lundstram on his end of last season form a 3 year deal then there would’ve been threads popping up all over the place.
Very simple, in summer 2023 we should have either extended his contract or sold him.

We absolutely should be better at handling contracts and the architects of this situation are mainly the club.

This thread is bonkers.

Our best players this season is between him Tav and Butland.

If we win the league he gets a new deal for me.
Same opinion especially with Jack likely (hopefully) offskie

2 year deal he’s a senior solid pro bigger things to worry about we know what we get with Lundstram

He’s having his best season for us but that could be down to wanting a new contract.
We have to stop paying 30 year olds massive wages for 3/4 year deals.
If he wants to sign then use a rolling 1 year deal that keeps him constantly playing for next years money. When his legs are done we just have a year to pay.

Very simple, in summer 2023 we should have either extended his contract or sold him.

We absolutely should be better at handling contracts and the architects of this situation are mainly the club.
It’s never that simple.

Was he sellable in the summer? You do realise you can’t sell someone unless another club makes an offer to buy them, match or better their wages? I don’t recall a clamour for sides to sign Lundstram in the summer of 2023, coming off the back of a poor season.

You’re right, overall we should get better at handling contracts, but this isn’t one of the examples like Kent or Morelos.

Lundstram is the wrong side of 30, on high wages and we’d lost Arfield, Tillman & Davis, while Jack can’t string 2 games together. It made total sense to do what we did,, which was to retain and use him, see how things panned out and then make the best offer we could, if we decided to make any offer at all, based on his form this season. If we were having this discussion in November, he probably wouldn’t have got a new deal offered at all. The chances are that he’d always have let it play out to see what options there was going to be on the table anyway, like Goldson and so many others have done before.

I'll give you that and I did think of that one, but even then, the fact that we can only really name one shows you how poor and ineffective he has been in these big crunch games. For me it's not been good enough and I'd rather have a new midfield next season which doesn't include Lundstram.
That was just off the top of my head. I think youre being unfair and id keep him albeit on a reduced rate. Few comments about 30k a week should be for matchwinners. You dont win matches without guys like JL in the engine room.

The manager has openly said he wants to keep Lundstram and that he is one of his most important and influential players so in my opinion he should be kept on that basis and that comes with a decent wage. Jack is done, Diomande is still learning, it seems a lot want Raskin out, Cantwell plays further up, Lawrence is injury prone.

By letting him go we’re reliant on Dio and Sterling so would probably need to bring in another 2 midfielders and hope they don’t pick up injuries, whilst we know Lundstram is available pretty much every game.
I can understand fans not being too bothered either way but we'll still be sorting out the mess left by the previous manager this summer.
Fwiw here's a list of some of the players who could potentially leave:

McLaughlin, Devine, Balogun, Davies, Barisic, King, Hagi, Jack, Dowell, Lowry, Wright, Matondo, Lammers, Roofe, Lovelace, Dessers.

That's before we try to resign any of Cortes, Silva or Sima.

Huge turnover coming imo.

Back