Lyle Taylor

£30k a week for a 30yr old who’ll be playing in Scotland who’s done nothing of note in his career .

I hope the backroom staff have done their homework,I bow to their greater football knowledge so if he does sign he will get full backing !

The highest level he's ever played at is the bottom of the Championship and he's already failed in Scotland once.

He's genuinely not very good and is the type of signing that Warburton made.
Failed in Scotland did you see his record in Scotland. I'm not saying I want him to sign but his record in Scotland was really good

There are some amount of deluded people on here
Realistically what stats do you think we are going to get for the money on offer??? 30k is loads for us but when there is no signing on fee you need to take that into account.

We are never going to compete in terms of getting someone in with high class experience and stats for the money we have. It's a pipe dream.

30k a week is peanuts to any premiership side or certain european sides.

There is no chance of attracting someone who's scores like 20 plus goals in 30 games for the cash we have, it just isn't feasible.

interesting interview with him a few weeks ago. He talks about having a £4m deal in place with Brentford that Charlton pulled out of at the last minute, also said a team bid over £3m in January.

He is another player who charltons crazy owner has messed around with contracts so I would not read into him refusing to play over the next few weeks.

IMHO he is a better player than Kamberi and could play wide in a 3 chipping in a number of goal but it is far from a exciting signing

Reactions: SDF
Well he definitely won’t be on 30k if he joined that’s just a made up number. I wouldn’t sign him he’s not good enough to be second choice striker imo. His style of striker is the exact type we need to be back up to Morelos. Our team is built around having a striker like him being able to hold the ball up etc, having Defoe as back up last season is counter productive because he needs a completely different system to get the best out of him.

I don't get the negatiivty. This guy has some genuinely decent teams interested in him. Teams with a lot bigger budget than us. I don't get why people automatically assume we are too good for him, especially people who are basically making assumptions without really seeing the lad play.

Failed in Scotland did you see his record in Scotland. I'm not saying I want him to sign but his record in Scotland was really good
His record in Scotland was “mixed” , goal wise he had a good season with Falkirk , not so good with Partick.

Last edited:
Hes a better player than people are making out, as many have said he wont be on 30k a week if he joined.

Can play any of the three positions.

No one had nailed down the front right position as yet and our back up is stewart and Jones, hes a few steps up from them.

No fear for people getting jobs once Corona virus is over, for anyone needing football experts they need look no further than FF. This place has some genuine lunatics residing in it’s midsts, lunatics who would appear to know a great deal about football right enough.

interesting interview with him a few weeks ago. He talks about having a £4m deal in place with Brentford that Charlton pulled out of at the last minute, also said a team bid over £3m in January.

He is another player who charltons crazy owner has messed around with contracts so I would not read into him refusing to play over the next few weeks.

IMHO he is a better player than Kamberi and could play wide in a 3 chipping in a number of goal but it is far from a exciting signing

That was a good watch.

Charlton seem an absolute basket case of a club. Don't forget they messed Bowyer around last year with his contract as well after promotion.

Seems to be growing talk he might be joining us.
Aye growing talk going from FF to social media back to FF and back to social media. Someone mentions something here in a thread.. it goes to social media then it comes back here as it's own thread.

I don't rate anyone without principles. I understand Lyle's mindset to not get injured but I don't respect it.
Would you have more respect for him if he played on and then picked up an injury and that costs him a move that would change his life financially?

Fortunately respect from fans doesnt pay the bills or put a roof over your family head for the rest of their life, securing life changing transfers does.

I don't get the negatiivty. This guy has some genuinely decent teams interested in him. Teams with a lot bigger budget than us. I don't get why people automatically assume we are too good for him, especially people who are basically making assumptions without really seeing the lad play.

I don't get it either. On a Bosman too.

I think people are simply glancing at his less than stellar list of previous clubs and just assuming he is shite.

There are some amount of deluded people on here
Realistically what stats do you think we are going to get for the money on offer??? 30k is loads for us but when there is no signing on fee you need to take that into account.

We are never going to compete in terms of getting someone in with high class experience and stats for the money we have. It's a pipe dream.

30k a week is peanuts to any premiership side or certain european sides.

There is no chance of attracting someone who's scores like 20 plus goals in 30 games for the cash we have, it just isn't feasible.

I'm not sure where you get the bit about no signing-on fee. There most certainly will be a signing-on fee and an Agents Fee on top of that no doubt. No transfer fee, which I think you really mean, is fair enough and does have an impact on the salary we can offer.

His record in Scotland was “mixed” , goal wise he had a good season with Falkirk , not so good with Partick.

He had 2 spells with Thistle.

First time around he was a huge factor in them staying up. 7 goals in 17 starts including 2 against Hearts and 2 against Aberdeen.

Better not be, thought we had more ambition than Charlton duds

ahh... hark ye back to the “no Charlton player is good enough for us“ etc posts just before we signed Bougherra.

Its almost like managers of football clubs, knowing how they want to line up their team, know which players fit into their budget, squad and style more than a guy sitting in his lounge with a lager on an iPad.

Aye growing talk going from FF to social media back to FF and back to social media. Someone mentions something here in a thread.. it goes to social media then it comes back here as it's own thread.

Think the Sunday Supplement interview on ssn has added to the speculation.

Is that what we’re doing, or have you just made that up?
Didn't say that was what we were doing at all, just that everyone wants us to spend our cash on top quality players instead of spreading across multiple players. We will need 2 strikers since Morelos is probs away and I'd rather we spent the full budget on one of them then got the other on a free.

ahh... hark ye back to the “no Charlton player is good enough for us“ etc posts just before we signed Bougherra.

Its almost like managers of football clubs, knowing how they want to line up their team, know which players fit into their budget, squad and style more than a guy sitting in his lounge with a lager on an iPad.
The thing is, if a Charlton player like Aribo appears I have no problem signing him but there is literally no sense in Lyle Taylor.

I'd never heard of him until a month ago and have only seen his YouTube clips (as I suspect is the case with most posters). As with all YouTube clips, he looks good in them. Of course he does, it's 40 games condensed down to a few minutes of highlights. You could scrape together 3 mins of Carlos Pena or Rob Kiernan looking good in a Rangers jersey so I can never get too excited about YouTube clips.

If he signs and can offer goals and pace from the right side of our attack then that sounds like something we need. As a replacement for Morelos, I'd be hugely concerned that we wouldn't score as many goals, but as another attacking option (and with no transfer fee and wages in a banding or 2 below our top earners) then I think he could be a good option. 11 goals in 22 games in the Championship is a good return but would he suit the we play? For example, has he been a lone striker playing on the break or has he been playing against teams that are physical and sit deep and have to be broken down with movement and individual skill? Only one of those will suit us.

I'd be surprised if he was our no.1 option having scouted all other leagues for the past 6 months. Maybe he is a 2nd or 3rd choice?

I am always wary of players who kick about lower leagues through their 20s and suddenly out of nowhere have a good season or 2 as they approach their 30s. There are exceptions of course, Dado Prso for one, but at least he he was scoring goals in the Champions League.

I wonder how we would have reacted if the Internet was around with the Rod Wallace signing, some complete lunatics post on here

No thinking into this post what so ever.

Rod Wallace was playing top flight football with Southampton for 4 or 5 years before moving to Leeds where he won a league title and was important part of their squad for the best part of 7 years.

Lyle Taylor has played for Stanes, AFC Wimbledon, Partick twice, Falkirk, Charlton and numerous other lower League clubs.

I’m still hopeful that Ross Wilson will be bringing in signings like the boy Bassey from Leicester that we may never have heard of but turn out to be quality additions to our squad.
I’m sure between Ross, Steven Gerrard, Michael Beale and the scouting team they will doing their best trying to unearth the next Alfredo.
I will be disappointed if we end up with Dykes and/or Taylor.
However, if our coaching team think these players are worth bringing in, then I will be prepared to back them.
This transfer window, and January 2021, will decide the fate of Steven Gerrard and his backroom team.

If I'm honest, if it comes down to a choice between Dykes and Taylor - and I hope it doesn't - then I'd go for Dykes at 24, with room for improvement, ahead of Taylor, approaching his 30s and looking for big bucks. We'd need to pay a fee for Dykes but the salary, signing-on fee and Agents fee would be much lower than Taylor, for example. I'd say after 12 months the total outlay on the pair of them would be close to being the same. Thereafter Taylor is costing us considerably more year-on-year and probably with no sell-on value.

Apart from the odd clip I dont know much about the guy and like most of us have no clue if he is signing. However, if Rangers are interested we might need to sit back and see what the plan is. We dont know what is happening with Alfredo and he might be heading out or staying.
A player like Taylor might be the second striker behind Alfie or maybe a 1B type. They may even have a plan to sell Alfie then they may want him (as an established pro) and another Alfie type "project" to share the load with Defoe.
We have obviously upped our game in terms of keeping the info sealed so I think it's hard to predict things when we dont know the whole picture.

Can’t even begin to compare the two.
Aribo is a player with bags of ability and the best of his career in front of him , Taylor is a 30 yo late developer looking for the final big pay day.
The definition of a dud has nothing to do with age though does it?

How many games of Taylor have you seen? I've seen 0, which I suspect is the same amount of games as other posters, including those calling him shite

Have to admit, I would be a bit disappointed in this signing. He doesn’t fit the mould it buy, develop and then sell for a profit.

The definition of a dud has nothing to do with age though does it?

How many games of Taylor have you seen? I've seen 0, which I suspect is the same amount of games as other posters, including those calling him shite
Can’t say I’ve seen any , my opinion is based on his career history which for a 30yo doesn’t inspire me , whereas Aribo has plenty time to do so.

Back