Man City are trying to buy fans

Not defending city here as I hold the same view as most, but would you trade the atmosphere of big matches for CL success - which will surely come to city?
Would you trade our community for money and success?

No, you wouldn't. What makes each persons football club so precious and dear to them is that community built around that club.

Man City fans didn't get a say in whether to make that trade. It was made for them. I pity the original supporters, because Man City as we once knew them basically don't exist.

km3fIL9.jpg
722Q5K6.gif

My mate told me that his kid's school, in Rutherglen area, was given loads of free tickets for champs league nights for City a few seasons ago. They ran buses, 3 I think it was, to and from the game. They can obviously do that because they have surplus tickets and the money to put on buses but it will likely have gained them some supporters from it.

I'll go against the grain here, it's easy to laugh and call them tinpot but it will help grow their fanbase and they will reap the benefit from it in years to come.

I would like to see us do more to attract fans outwith our 'traditional' core support.

The year they won the league with the last minute goal my son's school had a trip for all the boys that were leaving. It was almost the end of the season and they arranged it the month before. They had 50 good seats all together. That said my son was well impressed with the entire place.

The year they won the league with the last minute goal my son's school had a trip for all the boys that were leaving. It was almost the end of the season and they arranged it the month before. They had 50 good seats all together. That said my son was well impressed with the entire place.

They're no daft, they might do things that embarress their support but it will strengthen them in years to come IMO.

What's your son's view on City now, is he more sympathetic to them or did he view it as a one-off experience that he enjoyed but that's pretty much it?

They're no daft, they might do things that embarress their support but it will strengthen them in years to come IMO.

What's your son's view on City now, is he more sympathetic to them or did he view it as a one-off experience that he enjoyed but that's pretty much it?

He asked for the long sleeved strip for his birthday that year. Still wears it cutting about the house:)

Will give me a bit of pleasure when the man city bubble bursts and they go back to being a modern day Newcastle or Leeds.

I was working in Manchester earlier this year and tried to buy a ticket for the champions league game with Spurs. You may recall this game was not sold out but they would not let me buy a ticket with no previous purchase history. Assuming they will now have dropped this rule.:rolleyes:

Would you trade our community for money and success?

No, you wouldn't. What makes each persons football club so precious and dear to them is that community built around that club.

Man City fans didn't get a say in whether to make that trade. It was made for them. I pity the original supporters, because Man City as we once knew them basically don't exist.

It depends on what's meant by 'community', I think Rangers have the fanbase that would be able to cope with money-bought success without diluting our heratige. So, for instance if a billionaire bought Rangers and brought success similar to what they've had at city, even if they increased capacity of Ibrox by 20k it would most likely be filled by people who already support Rangers, who would be enticed to go view a better standard of player. Whereas the impression I get from the Eithad, there's a lot of tourist fans which is why the atmosphere is so poor.

Rangers fans would still, those who supported the club pre-rich owner, raise money for Rangers charity, support the armed forces, remember those that died in the Ibrox disaster. We have the numbers and passion which would sustain our traditions.

So I'm not sure what we would have to trade?

If it meant that we toured Asia or the States during pre-season, had our advertising boards in Chinese and English, or that we explored the idea of playing some games abroad. If it brought us CL success, then I'd take it. I know that won't be an opinion shared by others but the game is changing, not for the better in many people's view but I'd much rather Rangers were at the forefront of football even if football is moving in a direction I didn't like.

Reactions: TQ3
I still don't hate city after reading this.
Just feel sorry for actual real fans who suffered through the crap times. Then thought it would be great when things started to turn.
What a state for a club to be in

Reactions: TQ3
Basically they are asking social media "influencers" (wankers who post selfies on Instagram and the likes) to pretend they support Man City and to post about how great it is. Preferred Mancunian of course...

Somebody should give them Jill's details she likes that sort of thing. :)

I was working in Manchester earlier this year and tried to buy a ticket for the champions league game with Spurs. You may recall this game was not sold out but they would not let me buy a ticket with no previous purchase history. Assuming they will now have dropped this rule.:rolleyes:

Probably for these 3 matches, Spurs fans will have been trying to buy in the home end for that match I expect. Spurs never went on General Sale last night either because of the away fans ban I believe.

I have a 13 year old nephew in East Kilbride and he’s City daft, I thought it would be a phase that he grew out of but not to be, I have had him at Ibrox before and he enjoyed it but there’s no swaying him as he is emotionally invested now, which I admire.

More than a few have been lost to the Lower league ‘banter years’ it seems.

They've missed a trick here.

Instead of asking for males aged 18-55, they should be looking for hot females aged 18-25, with a fondness for wearing bikinis.

They'd get a lot more hits that way.

Money pumped in has made modern football the best its ever been?!?!!

Wow, what a huge indictment of drug abuse. Kids....just say no.

We might have had poor pitches and lenient refs but our lot could tackle, head the ball, cross the ball, and follow a set of very simple rules. And amazingly ANY team with a good manager, and some good scouts, could build and keep a cracking team...rather than selling anyone half decent at 15 years of age toa shitehawk non entity with SKY money.

Is it buying fans? Or is it using one of the most powerful tools to raise awareness of the club: social media influencers.
Correct. It’s no different from having a celebrity advertise perfume or a website. Whilst it’s a shame they need to do it, this is the quickest and most effective way to reach a large audience.

Correct. It’s no different from having a celebrity advertise perfume or a website. Whilst it’s a shame they need to do it, this is the quickest and most effective way to reach a large audience.

It is buying fans! "We can't fill the stadium, get some randoms in!"

My 11yo is desperate to go down and see them for his birthday.
Last time I was there was Uefa CF.

“3 relatively unknown teams”

Disrespectful as %^*&. Shakhtar and Zagreb have been playing in the Champions League since before times that Man City were shipping 8 goals at the Riverside.

A total snobby spoilt brat of a club.

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for them. Now I can’t stand them.

A soulless exhibition club now. Everything that is wrong with modern football.

Is this not just the saddest thing you've ever seen.

Absolutely despise Man City. A club for corporate executives.
That’s unfair mate City were a great club who had a hardcore fan base of roughly 35000 they were with them up and down the leagues. They won the lottery in football terms but it will take years for that fan base to rise. Agree that the OP is sad and depressing but City were one of the real teams in England and I’m not a closet City fan if I had an ‘English’ team it would be Chelsea because as a kid I saw them in the FA Cup against Leeds and they wore the same colour as Rangers :)

Not defending city here as I hold the same view as most, but would you trade the atmosphere of big matches for CL success - which will surely come to city?

Not really. I’d rather keep my Rangers and what makes it great without trying to buy supporters.

That's the most Man City thing I've ever read.

I genuinely can't stand them now. I didn't mind them when they first came in to their money and were really competing with Ferguson's Man Utd, but nowadays everything about them is so plastic.

The football tourist is their customer base.
ST regulars will only shell out a minimum on merch on match day.

I went down for a game last season as a day out for my boys football team. I anticipated it being a nightmare, everybody scattered in the worst seats. Nope. x50 seats all together right on the halfway line.

Sure enough, everyone of them came back home decked out in City gear from their shop.

All these epl teams have sold their souls to the devil imo.
You a guaranteed 2 scarf w..kers,no atmosphere ,and a boring game welcome to the sky/bt league.

seen the loathsome cunts last night not even celebrating when their team scored, polite applause if even that

It's a generational thing down here. Everyone can be split into generations 40-50 Liverpool 25-40 Man United under 18 Man City.

It's all about building the brand. Manchester is full of Chinese students and lots of young people moving to the City. They all go to City as they can't get tickets for United or couldn't until recently. There's Chinese students here getting season tickets and telling their pals all about it. That's what Manchester is all about these days.

Amazing that they've used the phrase 'an element of FOMO' in that job description :))

Not really. I’d rather keep my Rangers and what makes it great without trying to buy supporters.

That's fair enough mate, I respect that but I think deep down people would see some of the embarrassing aspects of city as a price worth paying for eventually becoming a European superpower. Though I could be wrong.

Back