Mateusz Zukowski

We sold patterson for large amount of money. Tav never usually misses a game so let's invest in a youngster with possibilities like bassey was, but no let's just moan

We needed other positions. Look at today, we had a young lad come on instead of this signing. Other positions required strengthening rather than right back.

More to do with the manager and squad. We have been crying out for a striker and he is lucky it hasn’t came back to haunt us recently. We were desperate for a striker in January and never brought one in which was criminal.

Do you really think he has been a success with his signings?
It’s possibly the hardest position in our team to fill because anyone coming will know they will be 3rd choice at best. Our third choice striker isn’t even registered in the European squad

We needed other positions. Look at today, we had a young lad come on instead of this signing. Other positions required strengthening rather than right back.
He might be carrying a knock that stopped him getting a game today. He was signed as a promising youngster and not necessarily for the first team so I think it’s too early to say if he will be a success or failure. It was a strange signing right enough, especially when Sands can also play there.

I’d say Aribo, Roofe, Sakala, McLaughlin and Hagi can be added to the successes. Simpson, Itten, Wright, Diallo and Ramsay as his arguable failures. That said Wright started the game that got us a euro final, and Ramsay was a gamble any DOF would have taken. Diallo may well get another year also. Too early to say about the Polish boy or Sands but the latter there definitely is a player there.

Would I trust him if we do have to replace a lot of players? Probably not but I do trust our gaffer.

AAribo yes, Roofe - injured constantly. Sakala - he can not be deemed a success. Hagi yes. McLaughlin - time will tell if he becomes No.1.

Simpson, Bacuna, Itten, Diallo, Ramsey, Wright, Sands, Zungu, Kamberi all failures so far.

AAribo yes, Roofe - injured constantly. Sakala - he can not be deemed a success. Hagi yes. McLaughlin - time will tell if he becomes No.1.

Simpson, Bacuna, Itten, Diallo, Ramsey, Wright, Sands, Zungu, Kamberi all failures so far
I still think even with injuries Roofe has been a success and was a big part of the 55 campaign. Sakala there is definitely a player there, likewise Sands so they couldn’t be classed as failures. Zungu was a loan with an option to buy if he was successful and although he didn’t that was a clever way of trying out instead of wasting money (similar to what we’ve done with Sands). Kamberi is a strange one as he didn’t get the chance with the league stopping a few weeks after he joined.

I’d say his time will be next season, maybe could have featured today but maybe the management team know his quality etc and wanted to have a look at Devine first, we’ll never know. One thing is for certain, you can’t play every week for Lechia Gdansk as a youngster and not have something about you. He’s been on the bench a good few times also. So I’d say we’ll see him feature next season probably. Wouldn’t be the first player who takes time to adjust.

Lundstram was arguably Gerard’s signing.

Balogun is constantly injured, along with Roofe & Helander.

Out with Bassey his “good” signings have been constantly injured. Defoe is clearly a Gerrard signing. Didn’t really pluck Davis & McGregor out of thin air either.

The rest? Poor.
So the good ones weren’t really Ross Wilson’s but all the “failures” were?
Nuuurse!

Have another youth player who was picked before him. It’s more the failure of Ross WIlson that I’m going on about rather than Zukowski.

Maybe he's injured or has an issue that nobody else knows about? 400k so it's hardly massive money wasted either but good to see he's written off after 1 game and Ross Wilson gets in the firing line again.

Simpson, Bacuna, Itten, Diallo, Ramsey, Wright, Sands, Zungu, Kamberi all failures so far.

You still are not sure McLaughlin has been a success? He was brought in to be a number 2 and has performed well whenever asked.

Something's amiss with him because he's rarely even been in any squad's or on the bench.

Which is strange as he looked a player from the little I've seen (YouTube and the Annan game).

Meh. More on our minds atm.
King covers CB & RB on the bench. Also if Sands is on the bench you have RB/CB cover.

King ended up at LB today as well. Maybe Gio likes versatile options. Hopefully see him against RC & Hearts.

I'm beginning to think he's injured or had Covid recently.

We never get injury updates anymore, unless it's to a key player.

Thought it was strange he never at least made the bench. Actually thought he should have started to give the skipper a rest.

Do you honestly think he has a successful record with signings in his tenure?
Wilson joined in October 2019, so the deals made since then are the ones we can evaluate him on.

Ianis Hagi - success
Florian Kamberi - failure, but a very small outlay
Bassey - Massive success
McLaughlin - success
Defoe - success
Balogun - success
Roofe - success
Itten - failure, with a fairly sizable outlay
Zungu - failure, with a very small outlay
Simpson - failure, again very small outlay
Ofoborh - TBD
Wright - success (cost very little and is a great rotational player, particularly under GVB)
Sakala - success (he's in double figures for goals despite being a rotational player, and he cost almost nothing)
Lundstram - massive success
Bacuna - failure, but minimal outlay and moved on very quickly
Sands, Diallo, Ramsay, Zukowski - TBD, these players only just got here. If Ramsay and Diallo return without contributing in Seville then they're failures, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet. It's completely mental to be writing off Zukowski or Sands after three months.

Wilson joined in October 2019, so the deals made since then are the ones we can evaluate him on.

Ianis Hagi - success
Bassey - Massive success
McLaughlin - success
Defoe - success
Balogun - success
Roofe - success
Ofoborh - TBD
Wright - success (cost very little and is a great rotational player, particularly under GVB)
Sakala - success (he's in double figures for goals despite being a rotational player, and he cost almost nothing)
Sands, Diallo, Ramsay, Zukowski - TBD, these players only just got here. If Ramsay and Diallo return without contributing in Seville then they're failures, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet. It's completely mental to be writing off Zukowski or Sands after three months.
When you put it like that Wilson has a better record than I thought. I’ve been a big critic but that certainly looks better than we all think. Definitely too early to write off Zukowski and Sands. And if Ramsay scores the winner in the Europa league final and then Diallo scores the winner against Hearts I don’t think we can say they were failures!

Ianis Hagi - success
Bassey - Massive success
McLaughlin - success
Defoe - success
Balogun - success
Roofe - success
Ofoborh - TBD

Defoe was signed under Mark Allen. But apart from that this is a fair assessment. I'd say Itten is the only proper blot on Wilson's copy book so far, due to it being a sizable outlay. That said, Gio's comments about Itten last week piqued my interest.

Bacuna was ultimately a poor signing but we didn't lose anything and the turnaround on him was quick.

I'd say Wilson has worked ok with the tools at his disposal and let's face it a meagre budget. Given how restricted our budget was during Covid, he's not really had a fair crack at the whip imo. I'm probably in the minority thinking that though.

I was thinking the same. Guy showed good in what he has so far.

I was also thinking, with our present forward line woes, if we had kept Patterson, could Tav started up front with Patterson at RB?

Defoe was signed under Mark Allen. But apart from that this is a fair assessment. I'd say Itten is the only proper blot on Wilson's copy book so far, due to it being a sizable outlay. That said, Gio's comments about Itten last week piqued my interest.

Bacuna was ultimately a poor signing but we didn't lose anything and the turnaround on him was quick.

I'd say Wilson has worked ok with the tools at his disposal and let's face it a meagre budget. Given how restricted our budget was during Covid, he's not really had a fair crack at the whip imo. I'm probably in the minority thinking that though.
What was Gio’s comments about Itten?

Defoe was signed on loan under Allen, but he signed permanently under Wilson.

To be fair to Wilson, when you look at that list there are no absolute howlers that you cringe remembering. He’s not presided over a Grezda, a Pena or a Bartley.

Out with Bassey his “good” signings have been constantly injured. Defoe is clearly a Gerrard signing. Didn’t really pluck Davis & McGregor out of thin air either.

The rest? Poor.
And yet despite your brilliance and his apparent failure, we seem to have reached the Europa Cup Final. It must almost kill you that Wilson has been part of that success.

He is likely in the glasgow cup squad for tomorrow against queens park as one of the overaged players , he played in the group stage at the training centre against queens but was given the run around by jai quitongo and generally looked a bit lightweight and seemed to struggle to get a foothold in the game

The rest? Poor.
He was excellent last season played a huge part in us winning the league for a free transfer he's been a success he's injuries have only really been this season

Folk just want to find any excuse to moan and seem to think that every signing has to be 100% excellent from day one.

Very short memories that in January most fans wanted the silky scouser gone

Last edited:
He’s still with the club. Alex Lowry put on an IG pic with him a few days back.

"Dammit Zukowski!" *

* To be said in the voice of a TV New York police captain who's got the commissioner up his ass, bodies piling up in the morgue, the DA looking for answers and the mayor having kittens because it's an election year
Absolutely terrific big man

Hmmm just maybe he’s unsettled or perhaps carrying an injury? Maybe he’s taking his time to adjust, learn style of play, adjust to new country, culture, training, eating habits.

He was brought in in January!

Just because he’s not in the squad doesn’t mean that some kind of disaster has happened.

We will need a back up RB so no let’s not say money would’ve been better spent elsewhere.

Jeebus fûcking wept man.

Again, he is NOT the RB backup in real life. If Tav can not play than lad will still not start and thats the point. He is not trusted and if you do transfer business in the winter then these players have to fit in asap and not after a year or two. And i dont think that a footballer from Poland has to adjust to scottish eating habits or fitness. I know everyone is buzzing right now because of the Europaleague Final but right now his signing has been a total flop and his position could have been filled with a youth player instead.

Do we just look at incomings? Wilson has allowed Gerrard and latterly Gio, to keep all the main players. Should some of them have been sold to reinvest, probably, but the managers wanted to keep them.

He also sold our back up FB for £16m.

I’m going to guess the guy is maybe injured, or we are just letting him settle in till next season were he’ll be used more but I don’t know.

Again, he is NOT the RB backup in real life. If Tav can not play than lad will still not start and thats the point. He is not trusted and if you do transfer business in the winter then these players have to fit in asap and not after a year or two. And i dont think that a footballer from Poland has to adjust to scottish eating habits or fitness. I know everyone is buzzing right now because of the Europaleague Final but right now his signing has been a total flop and his position could have been filled with a youth player instead.
He’s been a total flop because Tav’s a machine and he’s the captain?

You’ve no idea how he’s getting on. To label him a flop is just nonsense.

He’s been in the Poland youth international set up for years and is in the U21s. He’s not just some diddy brought in to make up the numbers.

If it doesn’t work out for him then fair enough but let the boy get settled in ffs.

More to do with the manager and squad. We have been crying out for a striker and he is lucky it hasn’t came back to haunt us recently. We were desperate for a striker in January and never brought one in which was criminal.

Do you really think he has been a success with his signings?

Yes I really think he has

You seem to have a major problem with the Leon Balogun signing.

Let's look at it. He signed on a free transfer from Wigan at the last minute after Katic got an injury near the end of the transfer window

Since then he has made 64 appearances across two seasons. He was part of a defence that set all sorts of records last season as we won our 55th league title. This season he has been part of the team reaching the Europa League and Scottish Cup finals.

I'll just repeat again, he was a last minute free transfer signing from Wigan and that's what he has achieved.

If anything I think this particular signing, which you are using as a stick to beat Ross Wilson with, is actually something that should be held up as an outstanding piece of business that shows how good a job he is actually doing for us.

However each to their own, some obviously have different ideas on what a free transfer from Wigan should be achieving for us.

The rest? Poor.
How much money have Rangers been able to spend on transfers in the past two years?

Zero.

How can you expect Ross Wilson to be able to provide top quality signings when there has been no budget?

Gerrard was supposedly hastened out the door cos he was told he couldn’t spend any money. The only players that could be brought in on January were loan deals, one of which we’re not paying anything for.

Surely this says that Wilson and both Gio and Gerrard have been extremely limited with options?

This whole let’s just hammer Ross Wilson thing isn’t exactly looking at the bigger picture. He can only be judged when there’s money to spend.

Bassey, Balogun and Lundstram have all been excellent value for money.
You don’t get much more value for money than when they cost heehaw.

Nine players that played on Thursday were free. That says a lot about the money that’s been available and the job that’s being done.

Back