Maurice Ross on Radio Scotland

Carltonblue

Nothing we don't already know, but encouraging and very honest words from Maurice Ross (obviously especially pertinent because he's coaching in some capacity at Motherwell):

"We talk about it at Motherwell often, when you watch Rangers you can see there's a group of good footballers but they're well-coached, you can see it, it's so predictable in how they do it...it just looks like they know exactly how the game's going to go.

They're so comfortable out of possession, they sit in that kinda half-way line area and just say 'come on then'.

You look at the distances between Rangers' players, everything is equidistant, the players are never over-covering, never under-covering, they're all so calm – when do you see Rangers midfielders sprinting because they've been caught out of position? Never. They're constantly jogging, they're just in perpetual motion because they're all in sync.

For me, they're the best-coached team (I mean my gaffer might give me into trouble for that) in the league. And they've got a good squad hence why they've had such good results of late."
That’s a great statement from someone who understands the game from a coaching perspective.

Good to see Maurice, who I recall having some personal issues at the end of his Rangers career, talking like a real pro, unlike the non-interviews we see from most football people.

Gman83

On Sportsound with Michael Stewart earlier reviewing yesterday.

He got absolutely tore into Lennon, celtic and in particular Griffiths for still not being fit.

Was almost laughing at how bad they are. Very entertaining stuff from the lad.
He was saying in the paper the day that it was the worst tarrier starting 11 for 20 years

bluetonic

He got absolutely tore into Lennon, celtic and in particular Griffiths for still not being fit.

Will be the last time he’s invited on there then :cool:

Recoba

Official Ticketer
I felt Stewart knew he was out his depth and Ross could destroy him if it came to a technical debate.

I also liked it when he said he knew Rangers would win when he saw the teams - fuelling the filths paranoia about the mole!
Absolutely, never seen Stewart like that before, he was the same on Sportscene last night which was strange also.

2 shows and not one argument.

mrsjr1872

Stewart highlighting that we have many more gears to go into and they were lucky Morelos wasn't on top form and Kent has more gears to go into.

Good to hear him speak the truth for once and highlight this, sick of hearing about the players they had out the result would have been the same.
Starting to realise there will be no place for him when we start to dominate again plays up to the audience they will all stop watching when we are on top again! fly puddle drinking fb if u ask me mate wouldn't trust him as far as I could kick him :)

That’s a great statement from someone who understands the game from a coaching perspective.

Good to see Maurice, who I recall having some personal issues at the end of his Rangers career, talking like a real pro, unlike the non-interviews we see from most football people.

What I don’t understand is that anyone was surprised, we dominated them the last time we played, slaughtered them at Hamden. In fact (including last seasons defeat at Ibrox), the last time they looked superior to us was their 1-0 at the peadodome a couple of years ago. Beating them has not been the problem for two years and they have been at full strength for the majority of them. In the last 3 games they have managed 6 efforts on target (5 in one match). Make no mistake we are well better than that lot and have been for a while. WATP

Miyagi

I am surprised at BBC Scotland letting on intelligent former players of ours tbh.

Mo Ross certainly sounds like a good listen.

Rest assured, Stewart will be back to normal late next week once the Tim's PR team have decided on thier response and had him briefed.

Bluerob

I felt Stewart knew he was out his depth and Ross could destroy him if it came to a technical debate.

I also liked it when he said he knew Rangers would win when he saw the teams - fuelling the filths paranoia about the mole!

I sure I heard him say , after being asked about what Septic could do about matching Rangers next time , he ended by saying '' of course , as a Rangers fan , I hope they don't .

Refreshing

insanicdrunk

Sportscene and this two normally terrible programs, what a difference it makes when they talk football and analyse the actual game.

Sky should be looking at the like of McCann (again) and Ross. Get rid of the tired clichéd like Hartson sutton and walker. It's not because they are beggars, but they are rank rotten.

instructor

Maurice really boot the boot in.
I tend to think there has been an over reaction to Celtic's performance. It is just 1 game and we are 4 ahead with a game more played so I would not get too carried away however enjoy the moment.

jigster

Official Ticketer
Maurice really boot the boot in.
I tend to think there has been an over reaction to Celtic's performance. It is just 1 game and we are 4 ahead with a game more played so I would not get too carried away however enjoy the moment.

exactly their next 9 games look horrible if you include the Europa league , lets see where they are then to see if yday was a blip or a regression

Parma

I've not listened to all of this yet. It made a pleasant surprise but Ross did also say the league will be tight and their missing players will make a difference.

There's a long way to go & I'm not writing the mhanks off yet

Vince

Ross made the really astute observation that Lennon just relies on having the best players in the league, and them digging him out. Nothing more than that and absolutely no sense of identity or tactical rigour.

That’s true .... and I will be brutally honest here in that some of our nine In a row seasons were won by teams of individuals rather than well managed teams. We found that out when they played in Europe.

This Celtic team are not well managed but they still have players who can win the vast majority of games against the lesser opponents.

Hurricane

You only need 8 weeks to get fit when your a cocaine addict. Ask leigh about the ambulance that was called for him at broonies hoose

Laudrup11Cooper

It was superb!
Let Griffiths have both barrels!!

Stewart sounded pathetic as usual, and just agreed and then made the same points as Mo.
Except made each point last about 1/2 hour.
Prick!

tazzabear

No problem with his message but where did the BBC find him?
Is this how far down they have to go to find an ex-bear who’ll talk to them?

change consent