Messi

As I've said before, claiming that Maradona is anywhere near better than Messi is the reserve of old codgers desperate to believe that football was better "back in my day".

No players in football history have hit the standards that Messi and Ronaldo have as consistently as they have - we're talking a decade of two players being comfortably the two best players in the world at a time when football is more technical, tactical and requires more fitness and athleticism than ever before. Even a "poor" season for these two produces upwards of 40 goals in one of the world's elite leagues.

Dismissing their achievements because they haven't won a World Cup which just doesn't seem to have the prestige it once did is laughable.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of the ones expressed in this thread are frightening.

As I've said before, claiming that Maradona is anywhere near better than Messi is the reserve of old codgers desperate to believe that football was better "back in my day".

No players in football history have hit the standards that Messi and Ronaldo have as consistently as they have - we're talking a decade of two players being comfortably the two best players in the world at a time when football is more technical, tactical and requires more fitness and athleticism than ever before. Even a "poor" season for these two produces upwards of 40 goals in one of the world's elite leagues.

Dismissing their achievements because they haven't won a World Cup which just doesn't seem to have the prestige it once did is laughable.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of the ones expressed in this thread are frightening.

I think football can’t be compared now due to the rule changes, the science available and the sheer technology behind it now.

messi is by far the most technically gifted player of the last 30 years.

ronaldo is a machine who is very clinical.

i though ronaldo's speed, intensity and physical aspects would slow down as he got older but he has maintained the highest standards possible. however there will come a point where overnight it will change. it happened to Zidane, Beckham, Giggs, Ronaldinho.......players at their peak and world class can seem to havee a drastic drop in consistancy and physical traits like strength, speed reflexes and reactions start to suffer, technical traits always remain and i think thats why messi will outlast ronaldo in relation to consistancy at the highest level as his game is built around technical apects (passing, dribbling, finnesse finishing, low centre of gravity movement)

just my two tupence worth.

I think a lot of people also seem to forget that Messi is 3 years younger than Ronaldo.

Their stats are very similar at the moment but unless Messi retires young or Ronaldo plays until he's much older, Messi will always have time to completely overtake him.

Messi's peak (arguably) when he scored 91 goals in the calendar year will never be topped unless they drastically increase the number of games played throughout the year.

Everyone was going on about how brilliant Salah's season has been yet for Messi and Ronaldo it's just their typical season.

I think a lot of people also seem to forget that Messi is 3 years younger than Ronaldo.

Their stats are very similar at the moment but unless Messi retires young or Ronaldo plays until he's much older, Messi will always have time to completely overtake him.

Messi's peak (arguably) when he scored 91 goals in the calendar year will never be topped unless they drastically increase the number of games played throughout the year.

Everyone was going on about how brilliant Salah's season has been yet for Messi and Ronaldo it's just their typical season.

Ronaldo is a machine and will be around for a long time yet. I hope they both are.

Horrible to say but one or the other is probably due an injury.

They both play some amount of matches.

Closer to 2 years younger.

It's Messi's 31st birthday tomorrow. Is he wishing to get to the next round or to get away from Russia on the next flight home??

The body language doesn't look good from him.

I hope you’ll be as magnanimous in thirty years time when some new kid is strutting around the global stage to swoons of adulation from all and sundry.

Messi hasn't scored for Argentina for over 600 minutes. Ronaldo scores, whoever he plays for.
Ronaldo is the best player I've ever seen and I'm 68 and have been a football fan all my life.
Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazilian), Best, Pele were all wonderful footballers, but Christiano Ronaldo shades it for me.
I don't like how he acts sometimes on the park, but his sheer brilliance makes up for that.

Messi hasn't scored for Argentina for over 600 minutes. Ronaldo scores, whoever he plays for.
Ronaldo is the best player I've ever seen and I'm 68 and have been a football fan all my life.
Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazilian), Best, Pele were all wonderful footballers, but Christiano Ronaldo shades it for me.
I don't like how he acts sometimes on the park, but his sheer brilliance makes up for that.

Serious question: is it his sheer brilliance at scoring goals that does it for you?

I could understand the swooning over Ronaldo if he also selflessly set up team mates with incredible assists - skinned defenders to whip in lethal crosses (which to be fair he used to do in his Man U days), dropped back into midfield to spray 40 yard cross field passes to feet, dribbled past 2, 3, 4 players to slip in sublime through balls for team mates and all the rest of it, but he doesn’t really do any of that, not really - he’s just this incredible goal scoring machine, which is quite a thing in itself, but as someone who’s old enough to have witnessed the all round brilliance of guys like Pele, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, etc, I find it a little baffling that you or anyone for that matter would argue that Ronaldo is a more complete footballer, because sorry, he’s just not.

Serious question: is it his sheer brilliance at scoring goals that does it for you?

I could understand the swooning over Ronaldo if he also selflessly set up team mates with incredible assists - skinned defenders to whip in lethal crosses (which to be fair he used to do in his Man U days), dropped back into midfield to spray 40 yard cross field passes to feet, dribbled past 2, 3, 4 players to slip in sublime through balls for team mates and all the rest of it, but he doesn’t really do any of that, not really - he’s just this incredible goal scoring machine, which is quite a thing in itself, but as someone who’s old enough to have witnessed the all round brilliance of guys like Pele, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, etc, I find it a little baffling that you or anyone for that matter would argue that Ronaldo is a more complete footballer, because sorry, he’s just not.

Well, I think he is.

Well that's bollocks, he scored a couple in a warm up game for the World Cup and in his last competitive game before the World Cup for Argentina he scored a hat-trick in Ecuador where the Argies hadn't won in 20 years or something to ensure they qualified.

Messi is a better dribbler and passer and when it comes to goal scoring over his career it's a very similar ratio to Ronaldo's plus the fact he creates more chances.

Messi playing poorly in a Poor Argentina side does not alter the fact that for me Messi has been the better player over the course of his career.

Messi dragged an average Argentina side to a World Cup Final and for the sake of a few inches means he can't be considered a great because he never won it? That's harsh.

Btw I also consider Ronaldo an all time great. More of in a Gerd Muller way than a Maradona.

It's like arguing that Ronaldo and Messi are obviously better because Pele and Maradona never won European Cups. I wouldn't really make that my only argument in the way that people are with Pele and Maradona having won the World Cup. It's just open to so many counter arguments but the rigidity of the people who think they need to win a World Cup to overtake the rest is just bizarre.

It's like arguing that Ronaldo and Messi are obviously better because Pele and Maradona never won European Cups. I wouldn't really make that my only argument in the way that people are with Pele and Maradona having won the World Cup. It's just open to so many counter arguments but the rigidity of the people who think they need to win a World Cup to overtake the rest is just bizarre.

Yeah, I mean think how taxing it must be to win the Champions League while also competing simultaneously in your league and Cup competitions. You have to go back 5 years to when Messi or Ronaldo didn't win the Champions League!

I wouldn't even say he's the best Portuguese player, I'd give that honour to the great Eusebio.

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi: In bigger games on the world stage, the Real Madrid and Portugal superstar is now showing himself to be superior
  • The Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi debate has continued at the World Cup
  • Ronaldo has hit four goals in two games for Portugal while Messi has zero so far
  • A look at their Champions League records says Ronaldo steps up when needed
  • The Portuguese has the better record in quarter-finals, semis and finals
By KIERAN GILL FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 07:32, 23 June 2018 | UPDATED: 16:07, 23 June 2018

663shares

View comments

In the quarter-finals of the 2017 Champions League, Cristiano Ronaldo scored five times against Bayern Munich over two legs. In the semis, he scored a hat-trick against Atletico Madrid.

So when Real Madrid won the final against Juventus in Cardiff, it came as little surprise that it was orchestrated by Ronaldo. He bagged a brace, deciding yet another game.

Ronaldo is a man for the big occasion. At the 2018 World Cup in Russia, he has continued to show that mentality, leading to those inevitable comparisons with Lionel Messi.

4D719B4800000578-5876755-image-a-1_1529735022505.jpg

+6
Cristiano Ronaldo has shown at the World Cup his appetite to star on the biggest stage of all

4D7FEE1100000578-5876755-image-a-3_1529735030763.jpg

+6
Meanwhile his rival, Lionel Messi, carrying the weight of a nation, has failed to find the net

RELATED ARTICLES
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
663 shares

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone accidentally contributed to the debate this week when a WhatsApp audio message to his assistant German Burgos was leaked in Spain.

In it, Simeone said: 'Messi is very good but he is very good because he is accompanied by extraordinary footballers. If you had to choose between Messi and Ronaldo for a normal team, who would you choose?'

In terms of who you would rather have in your side when it comes to the big games — the 90 minutes where it really matters — then the majority may side with Ronaldo.

A look at their Champions League records tells us how much of an influence he has. In the group stages, both have bagged 60 goals, though the Barcelona man has managed it in 15 games fewer.

Yet as the competition progresses, Ronaldo takes over. In the quarter-finals, he has scored 23 goals in 20 games. Messi has scored 10 in 20.

03AF2EEB000007D0-5876755-image-a-4_1529735175857.jpg

+6
An analysis of their Champions League records shows Ronaldo excels later in the tournament

2862858400000578-5876755-image-a-5_1529735184552.jpg

+6
Messi has scored more goals in the group stages, but fewer in the quarter and semi-finals

In the semis, Ronaldo has scored 13 compared to Messi's four. In the final, it's four to two.

Once the heat is on, Ronaldo steps up, just as he has in Russia.

Every football fan will have his or her own preference. But with both Ronaldo and Messi carrying the expectations of entire nations on their shoulders, one has delivered, the other has not.

For Portugal, 33-year-old Ronaldo has decided two games – securing a draw with a hat-trick against Spain, and scoring the winner against Morocco. Iran are next on Monday.

Messi, meanwhile, has cut a frustrated figure at this World Cup. Having a country turning to him for inspiration appears to have weighed him down.

LIONEL MESSI
Champions League Group Stage

63 games, 60 goals

Round of 16

26 games, 24 goals

Quarter-finals

20 games, 10 goals

Semi-finals

13 games, 4 goals

Final

3 games, 2 goals

CRISTIANO RONALDO
Champions League Group Stage

78 games, 60 goals

Round of 16

28 games, 20 goals

Quarter-finals

20 games, 23 goals

Semi-finals

21 games, 13 goals

Final

6 games, 4 goals

In Argentina's 1-1 draw with Iceland, he missed a penalty to turn one point into three. In their 3-0 defeat by Croatia on Thursday, he failed to join the party again.

Messi was the bookmakers' favourite to win the World Cup's Golden Boot at the start of the tournament. So far, it is four goals for the Portuguese, and zilch for the Argentinian.

As well as Simeone, a fair few others in the world of pundits have given their two cents' worth on the debate over who is better. As it turns out, so has Ronaldo.

Well, arguably. In celebrating his opener against Spain, he stroked his chin, seemingly signalling that he is the GOAT – the Greatest Of All Time. In recent days, the normally clean-shaven Ronaldo has grown a goatee, though he claims the beard is a good luck charm following a conversation with team-mate Ricardo Quaresma.

4D71857700000578-5876755-image-a-7_1529735261808.jpg

+6
Ronaldo has inspired Portugal to four points from two matches, scoring all four of their goals

4D804A0000000578-5876755-image-a-9_1529735275219.jpg

+6
The debate remains open to interpretation but many pundits think Ronaldo is the better player

In truth, it is open to interpretation. Plenty prefer Messi's unique talents, which he seems to have been born with. Others like the way Ronaldo has worked so hard to get so good.

Roy Keane, arguably biased, offered his opinion this week when he said: 'I think there has been a great debate about him and Messi but over the last six months I think he's on a new level.

'Ronaldo's out there on his own. It's not natural ability, as brilliant as he is, it's sheer hard work. He's got a lot of courage, he's brave and the guy is a genius.'

Ian Wright added: 'We've been fortunate to watch both at the height of their powers, but in years to come I think Ronaldo will pinch it for me.'

The Ronaldo vs Messi debate will rumble on until one or both retires, and no-one is wrong. It can come down to a matter of personal preference.

Yet as Simeone said, if you surrounded both with 10 players of typical professional quality, who would you back to do the better job? Messi has had his moments but judging by what we've seen recently, that man is now Ronaldo.

RELATED ARTICLES

Amazing hyperbole due to Messi having a couple of poor games. My point of view:

1. Messi is the greatest footballer of all time
2. Messi has been shit in World Cups so far

Number 2 does not make number 1 untrue. Of course he will be disappointed if he never turns it on in a WC but it doesn't make him a poorer player than other greats.

As for Ronaldo, not the most likeable guy but certainly one of the big 4 of all time for me (Messi/Maradona/Pele/CR). But worth noting he has also been pretty shit in WCs prior to this one.

Amazing hyperbole due to Messi having a couple of poor games. My point of view:

1. Messi is the greatest footballer of all time
2. Messi has been shit in World Cups so far

Number 2 does not make number 1 untrue. Of course he will be disappointed if he never turns it on in a WC but it doesn't make him a poorer player than other greats.

As for Ronaldo, not the most likeable guy but certainly one of the big 4 of all time for me (Messi/Maradona/Pele/CR). But worth noting he has also been pretty shit in WCs prior to this one.

The hyperbole is mental. He’s literally 2 games into a WC with a shitty fractured team. He’s just come off the back of an outstanding season for Barca where he was as close to a one man team in a title winning side as I’ve seen.

Meanwhile the same ones mocking him have Ronaldo as the favourite for the Ballon D’or almost solely because of an overhead kick against Juventus and a hat trick vs Spain. No mention of having a horrendous half season for Madrid where they finished third and nae mention of him going AWOL in the CL semi’s and final. Cúnts lucky his teams can cross the finish line without him or he’d be another 2 Ballon D’ors down.

Last edited:
I've genuinely never seen anything like it in the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. It's gone absolutely mental since Messi's had two poor games and Ronaldo's scored 4 goals.

Wonder what they were all saying when Portugal went out at the group stages in 2014? What about 2010 when Ronaldo's only goal of the tournament came in a 7-0 pumping of North Korea? WC 2006 his only goal was a penalty vs Iran.

Hardly setting the world alight...

I've genuinely never seen anything like it in the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. It's gone absolutely mental since Messi's had two poor games and Ronaldo's scored 4 goals.

Wonder what they were all saying when Portugal went out at the group stages in 2014? What about 2010 when Ronaldo's only goal of the tournament came in a 7-0 pumping of North Korea? WC 2006 his only goal was a penalty vs Iran.

Hardly setting the world alight...
At least Ronaldo scored his penalty. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ballon d’or surely? No penalties and he didn’t need the keeper to chuck the ball in the net for any of his either
You fancy Argentina to go through young in? Got Messi in my dream team and sticking by him.

Who do Argies play if they beat Nigeria?

Who normally plays in goal for them? The boy from Man Utd must be a better option on that cow who sold the Modric goal as well

It’s going to be quite amusing in here when Argentina pump Nigeria and end up going further than Portugal in the competition :D

You fancy Argentina to go through young in? Got Messi in my dream team and sticking by him.

Who normally plays in goal for them? The boy from Man Utd must be a better option on that cow who sold the Modric goal as well

I genuinely wouldn’t bet on them. They look horrendous, the squad they’ve taken is fairly pish save for a few quality attackers, and there’s clearly some sort of turmoil in their camp.

They could easily arse it up. Even if they don’t, they’re going right out in the round of 16!

Romero got injured I think otherwise he normally would be their first choice?

If Argentina finish 2nd in the group and France finish top of theirs, they'll meet in the last 16.

We like a laugh and a wee dig about they two!have done for years lol.

Messi genuinely looks absolutely disgusted with his team mates.

I play 11s have done for years etc
Messi and Ronaldo must have some influence in the sides the manager is picking not think so?

Who do they play in the last 16 when they beat Nigeria?

Romero got injured I think otherwise he normally would be their first choice?

If Argentina finish 2nd in the group and France finish top of theirs, they'll meet in the last 16.
They're out then! Young boy from PSG running at that ride playing for City lol

I wouldn't consider myself a old codger only 49 but football was better years ago. Ronaldo great as he is a football player he's also a cheating diving bastard.

It’s going to be quite amusing in here when Argentina pump Nigeria and end up going further than Portugal in the competition :D
Can't see it,having seen the Croatia game,Messi apart,Argentina are a poor team,too many players not playing for the team and every time I've seen Messi in an Argentina shirt, he's disappointed,the difference is Ronaldo always seems to turn up.

The hyperbole is mental. He’s literally 2 games into a WC with a shitty fractured team. He’s just come off the back of an outstanding season for Barca where he was as close to a one man team in a title winning side as I’ve seen.

Meanwhile the same ones mocking him have Ronaldo as the favourite for the Ballon D’or almost solely because of an overhead kick against Juventus and a hat trick vs Spain. No mention of having a horrendous half season for Madrid where they finished third and nae mention of him going AWOL in the CL semi’s and final. Cúnts lucky his teams can cross the finish line without him or he’d be another 2 Ballon D’ors down.
Its mental the stick messi is receiving atm, its not so far fatched to think argentina will qualify and portgual go out looking at the the group standings Iran could beat portgual.

Messi is a footballing genius because he was born with it

Ronaldo is almost as good as Messi because he has worked his bollocks off to be where he is plus his natural ability

Both are 2 of the best players that the world has ever seen

Messi is better than Ronaldo that's just a footballing fact

Grown men having getting upset about who is better need to have a can of juice and just accept we have watched 2 of the best players in the world in our lifetime

For me, he is the most naturally talented player the world has ever seen. Ronaldo is a more complete player for me. If I had to choose, it’d be Ronaldo for me.

Messi surpassed Maradona a very long time ago.

Messi is a footballing genius because he was born with it

Ronaldo is almost as good as Messi because he has worked his bollocks off to be where he is plus his natural ability

Both are 2 of the best players that the world has ever seen

Messi is better than Ronaldo that's just a footballing fact

Grown men having getting upset about who is better need to have a can of juice and just accept we have watched 2 of the best players in the world in our lifetime

I agree to an extent. There are videos of Messi at 7/8 years old and he's running amok, but I think it also discredits him a little as it sounds as if he's not hard to work hard to get where he is.

By all accounts Ronaldo's a complete animal when it comes to training. First in and last out, extra gym work etc. Fair play to him.

People need to remember that Messi is also 3 years younger than Ronaldo. If there records are similar now, imagine how far ahead Messi is going to be if he plays 3 years longer than Ronaldo.

Back