Middlesbrough For Wes Foderingham?

Jan Žižka

Middlesbrough are weighing up a move for Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

The 28-year-old is being considered as Boro brace themselves for an offer from West Ham for current number one Darren Randolph.

Foderingham is out of contract in the summer and is free to talk to English clubs from January.

Championship rivals Birmingham City have also expressed interest in Foderingham who remains part of Steven Gerrard's plans at Ibrox but has predominantly been on the bench as back-up to Allan McGregor.

He has made four appearances this season and kept three clean sheets.

Boro are reluctant to lose Randolph who has been one of the stand-out performers in the Championship but expect West Ham to make an offer in the coming weeks.

The London Stadium club want greater competition for Lukasz Fabianski, who has been sorely missed since tearing a hip muscle in September.

Fabianski has earmarked a return on Boxing Day against Crystal Palace but West Ham want to ensure they have quality competition and know they can rely on Randolph who played for them between 2015 and 2017 though left for more regular football.

The Hammers have also considered loans for Bournemouth's Asmir Begovic and Stoke's Jack Butland, though the latter would be rebuffed with the England international valued at £20m.

Would be a good move for him he has the quality to play at that level for sure a chance to get a small fee and bring McCrorie back as number 2

He is a great keeper and will be hard to replace. When Greegs has been out for suspension or injury, we've barely noticed.
He is tainted a bit by having literally the worst Rangers defence in living memory playing in front of him but he came here on a free, has improved himself and never let us down. Can't ask for more than that.

do we still have 3rd choice keeper Firth? he would do till end of season as backup

A goalkeeper that we could always trust to do his job well.
A very likeable Rangers player and if he leaves he will be missed.
If I see his name on the teamsheet I never worry as it will just be business as usual.

Wes has been an absolute role model since losing his place under Gerrard.

Never complained, obviously trained well, stayed a valued member of the group, and never once let us down when called upon.

If he goes, he will go with our very best wishes.

If we get a nominal fee maybe 100-200k it could possibly go towards the wages of a decent loan player for the rest of the season I'd be happy with firth as back up with a view of having McCrorie as back up next season

Big man would go with my best wishes.

Never heard a peep out him, just sat and waited for his chance and when called upon has been brilliant.

Just unfortunate for him we have the best keeper in the country by a mile.

Wish he could teach Allan to kick before he leaves.
Nothing but respect for him, a good all round keeper and brilliant servant

I can’t fathom why people seem so content to let Foderingham go now and have Firth as back up. You hope your back up keeper doesn’t have to play. But just suppose Firth has to play 6 games between now and the end of the season. Are any of us going to be sitting comfortably if that happens during a close title race? No thanks.

If Foderingham goes in January then we had better have a solid replacement lined up.

I can’t fathom why people seem so content to let Foderingham go now and have Firth as back up. You hope your back up keeper doesn’t have to play. But just suppose Firth has to play 6 games between now and the end of the season. Are any of us going to be sitting comfortably if that happens during a close title race? No thanks.

If Foderingham goes in January then we had better have a solid replacement lined up.

We have been looking at keepers so I’d imagine we’d bring one in?

I wish Fod well, and anyone else other than AM as starting keeper would see him play. However, he will want to play, and whilst there are some limitations to him, he’s never let us down. I will always remember his celebration and beaming face when the rats missed the last penalty at Hampden in the semi.

Presuming that means a nominal fee in January, and we’d have to go looking for a backup keeper capable of bridging between McGregor retiring and McCrorie being ready (if required)

This is a major issue for Ross as, like it or not, and irrespective that he has been given a new contract and Greegsy is excellent in many ways but, given that he is towards the end of his career and ( whilst a brilliant shot stopper, not as reliable as he was ), I hope that serious consideration is being given to the GK situation.

I agree and if Foderingham goes in January then we had better have a solid replacement for AM lined up as Am is getting to the end of his best GK days.

This is vitally important for the club !

I agree and if Foderingham goes in January then we had better have a solid replacement for AM lined up as Am is getting to the end of his best GK days.

I do think there is every chance that McCrorie is the long term successor to McGregor. I think there has been a careful pathway plan in place for McCrorie for a while which, subject of course to him progressing as hoped, sees him take over from McGregor. In fact I think one of the attractions in going for McGregor was that he was initially viewed as a good two year bridge until McCrorie was ready. However McGregor has performed so well that the bridge looks like being three years.

I just hope that (a) McCrorie gets a higher level loan next season and (b) he is content to play the medium term game to become the Rangers no.1.

I do think there is every chance that McCrorie is the long term successor to McGregor. I think there has been a careful pathway plan in place for McCrorie for a while which, subject of course to him progressing as hoped, sees him take over from McGregor. In fact I think one of the attractions in going for McGregor was that he was initially viewed as a good two year bridge until McCrorie was ready. However McGregor has performed so well that the bridge looks like being three years.

I just hope that (a) McCrorie gets a higher level loan next season and (b) he is content to play the medium term game to become the Rangers no.1.

I'm sure you are correct but the question is will RM be ready by the time AM decides to hang up his gloves ? I would have thought that the management team would at least like to see him on a daily basis for at least half a season to get him fully up to speed rather than plunge him straight in off the back of a loan at whatever level.

Last edited:

also mcgregor is quite an injury prone goalie

Wes has been an absolute role model since losing his place under Gerrard.

Never complained, obviously trained well, stayed a valued member of the group, and never once let us down when called upon.

If he goes, he will go with our very best wishes.

I was going to comment but this covers what I wanted to say ^^^^^^

Back