Modern Fans vs Rangers Da's

cincuenta y cinco

I read more than post nowadays but could not resist after reading the thread on the Athletic's ideas on player types and the names for them.

The posts regarding Rangers da's incoming got me thinking. Are the players of my era, the 90's so far out of touch with the modern game and the way it is played just like supporters of that era?

Personally I think the players I watched in my twenties are far superior to the current Rangers squad.

So I will name my squad below and let the modern, more knowledgeable supporter debate whether my Rangers Da's side is better position by position than their modern equivalent.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

CH Gough Butcher Moore Brown

LB Robertson Numan

CM I Ferguson Gazza B Ferguson McCall

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

CF McCoist Hateley Negri Durie

4-4-2

In my opinion they would beat the current squad with ease, can you even imagine Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist and Hateley up against our current defence? It would be frightening. There are only two current players who would possibly make my squad, Tav and Morelos.

Keep it civil lads and dare I say it, respectful.

I read more than post nowadays but could not resist after reading the thread on the Athletic's ideas on player types and the names for them.

The posts regarding Rangers da's incoming got me thinking. Are the players of my era, the 90's so far out of touch with the modern game and the way it is played just like supporters of that era?

Personally I think the players I watched in my twenties are far superior to the current Rangers squad.

So I will name my squad below and let the modern, more knowledgeable supporter debate whether my Rangers Da's side is better position by position than their modern equivalent.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

LB Robertson Numan

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

4-4-2

In my opinion they would beat the current squad with ease, can you even imagine Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist and Hateley up against our current defence? It would be frightening. There are only two current players who would possibly make my squad, Tav and Morelos.

you're comparing squads with millions splashed on them with the current day squad assembled on a relative pittance.

also many of the players you name were involved in multiple euro disasters.

For what it's worth, i'm 52.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

LB Robertson Numan

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

4-4-2

Laudrup wasnt a RM or a winger.

He was given free reign.

Stevens, Robertson and Numan are every bit of the modern day full back.

Durrant LM?????

you're comparing squads with millions splashed on them with the current day squad assembled on a relative pittance.

also many of the players you name were involved in multiple euro disasters.

For what it's worth, i'm 52.
The current guys earn at least two or three times the wages and have just reached a European Final. We have just sold a player for double our record outlay too.

Laudrup wasnt a RM or a winger.

He was given free reign.

Stevens, Robertson and Numan are every bit of the modern day full back.

Durrant LM?????
Thats my team and do you think I did not notice Laudrup had a free reign? He has to go somewhere on the teamsheet. Durrant I give you he is not LM but he is in the top 5 players I've seen I'm sure he had a bit of free reign too.

I have two sons and this "Rangers Da" thing, as opposed to the "modern" fan, is completely lost on me; they see the same game, and if we disagree about something we disagree as individuals. Are you saying that the team you are watching today is not a team you can comment on as well as a younger fan? As regards today, fitness and diet hasn't just affected football, but society in general; the impact of that not just on football but other sports is interesting, and has probably impacted how those sports are played. It has with football, especially in the multiplicity of roles a player has today, whereas back then it tended to be more fixed positions.

Impossible to compare the eras really. Fitness and training such a huge benefit to today's crop, as are modern tactics.

As for the older generation vs the newer footballers, as always the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The lump it forward, show desire brigade are just as wrong as the hyper focused on stats and tactics brigade.

Thats my team and do you think I did not notice Laudrup had a free reign? He has to go somewhere on the teamsheet. Durrant I give you he is not LM but he is in the top 5 players I've seen I'm sure he had a bit of free reign too.
If he’s in the top 5 players you’ve seen at Rangers why not have him in his actual position.

Also what the %^*& is even the point in this pish? I’m so confused probably because I’m half asleep

I do like you are being true to the Walter Smith tactics of shoe horning in players all over.

If it was a standard performance of the team.you picked v a standard performance of the current team then I think the current team wins.

Best performance v best performance its fairly evenly matched

Impossible to compare the eras really. Fitness and training such a huge benefit to today's crop, as are modern tactics.

As for the older generation vs the newer footballers, as always the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The lump it forward, show desire brigade are just as wrong as the hyper focused on stats and tactics brigade.
Do you honestly think the team from my era lumped it forward? Just miss out Gazza and Laudrup n punt it up?

Is it just wee virgins who have never had sex with an adult that uses the term Rangers Da or is it also the wee jaffa's?

Older teams had better teams and the league was better as well, we laud players now who would have been released for not being good enough.

I have two sons and this "Rangers Da" thing, as opposed to the "modern" fan, is completely lost on me; they see the same game, and if we disagree about something we disagree as individuals. Are you saying that the team you are watching today is not a team you can comment on as well as a younger fan? As regards today, fitness and diet hasn't just affected football, but society in general; the impact of that not just on football but other sports is interesting, and has probably impacted how those sports are played. It has with football, especially in the multiplicity of roles a player has today, whereas back then it tended to be more fixed positions.
I must have missed the fitness bus. In my opinion watching then and now that team would beat the current one with ease.

Do you honestly think the team from my era lumped it forward? Just miss out Gazza and Laudrup n punt it up?
My era as well! I was talking more about the Rangers Da vs football hipster rather than the team of old vs now.

"Get it forward" is the kind of the thing you get from the usually less informed fan. The guys at Ibrox who shout "just hit it" at any point, or want a more direct ball forward instead of patient play.

It's not a modern thing. It's not a new vs old fan. It's a less informed vs informed fan. The Rangers Da has always been at games, has always had folk rolling their eyes with their opinions. Just now because football is so stat focused it seems like a young vs old thing.

The 9IAR team would struggle to get the ball off our current side. They would also lump it when the current side pressed. It would need individual brilliance or a set-piece. The current side would beat them like most European sides did.

It's an unfair comparison though as that side didn't have to modernise to maintain its domestic dominance.

I hate new age chat about - low block - players him in a developing hiding number 9 into midfield - look at his pass succession to XG.

Load a shite.

4 4 2 get the ball in the box and win 1-0. Everyone goes home aware of whats going on and happy :D

Better individuals but current team is a better team than what is posted.

Its a Walter Smith shoehorn a CB in midfield type thing
A better team, the one I named were a team of winners
Some of the best players we’ve ever had (Goram, Gough, McCoist, Laudrup, Gascoigne etc) were embarrassed regularly in Europe.

It’s impossible to fairly compare eras and generations with another.
They did I was there, it was the Champions League though, against very the best teams. If we make it this season I'm sure it could happen too.

Some of the best players we’ve ever had (Goram, Gough, McCoist, Laudrup, Gascoigne etc) were embarrassed regularly in Europe.

It’s impossible to fairly compare eras and generations with another.
They were but remember there were only 8, then 16, teams in CL.

So we were playing against much better opponents.

If you had a time machine our team of 92/93 could have gone on to the pitch of today and compete at the highest level of European foootball. They were hard, quick and could play. If you could add Laudrup and Gazza to that then I don't think too many teams would have fancied their chances against us.

Its like comparing apples with orange's so I won't bother. What I will say is this squad will be more appreciated in 20 years than they are now. They were within a ballhair of a European trophy despite being outsiders in every round.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

LB Robertson Numan

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

4-4-2

For starters Morelos would get nowhere near that team lucky if he made the bench! You are right about Tav though. The thing is we are in a different era many of the players you mention were bought for big money,we are buying in a different market these days.

Yeah they did at times.

Its made out we played amazing football all the times with Gazza and Laudrup where as we were utterly turgid at times and embarrassing in Europe
Agree with this

Winning ugly was a trait of our teams at times in that era as they had had a great winning mentality.
Some of the stuff was dire at times.

As for Europe ,apart from 92/93

Well that deserves a thread of its own as it was pretty woeful.

They did I was there, it was the Champions League though, against very the best teams. If we make it this season I'm sure it could happen too.
You posted a shoe horned team, if you played that it would be beaten by a good well drilled team

Domestically Smiths early-mid 90s team beats any later era. They had the skill to destroy the jobbers but also the grit and determination to match them for effort and physicality.

Advocaat’s first 2 years gave us our best European side. The CL group with PSV, Valencia and Bayern is the best I’ve seen us.

There are 1 or 2 current players who could’ve played in those sides but generally the earlier teams were of a higher standard.

In particular, prime Hateley would embarrass the current defence.

Levski Sofia, AEK Athens, Auexerre, Grasshoppers, Gothenburg?

The very best teams, really? The Champions League? Really?

Reactions: VGM
Better individuals but current team is a better team than what is posted.

Its a Walter Smith shoehorn a CB in midfield type thing
If he’s in the top 5 players you’ve seen at Rangers why not have him in his actual position.

Also what the %^*& is even the point in this pish? I’m so confused probably because I’m half asleep
Its only a squad and I put him there because of the two Fergusons, Mcall and Gazza. If Durrant had not been assaulted at Aberdeen he would have been better than all of them, the injury affected Durrant but even post injury I couldn't leave him out.

I hope this explains.

This shouldn’t really be about comparing the squads from the era , more about these wee modern hipster wanks , need their arses skelped and kept in . Phone , tablets the lot aff them then we will see how fucking smart they are .

Last edited:
Domestically Smiths early-mid 90s team beats any later era. They had the skill to destroy the jobbers but also the grit and determination to match them for effort and physicality.

Advocaat’s first 2 years gave us our best European side. The CL group with PSV, Valencia and Bayern is the best I’ve seen us.

There are 1 or 2 current players who could’ve played in those sides but generally the earlier teams were of a higher standard.

In particular, prime Hateley would embarrass the current defence.
Couldn't agree more.

People still saying things like we should bring in a McCall or Ferguson type is like someone then saying we need to bring in a Davy Smith or Baxter. Probably not all that wrong but just interesting that the generations are about equal now.

Back