Morelos Performance

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
Agree with all you’ve said.
Duffy thumping the ball into him when on the ground started it.
He took his mind off the game to start the niggles, but returned to take part in a great goal.

Just watched the game again, barring the last 15mins of the first half when he seemed to lose a bit of focus, Morelos had a good game, not great but good. He worked his tail off the second half across their back line.

People saying he was poor seem to be the ones who would say that regardless.

Going by this thread, some posters seem utterly crestfallen that he didn't see red. Morelos played for the team in the second half without being outstanding. Like Barker and Kent. Yet folk on here are lining up to have a go. It's hardly his fault we didn't accept Lille's offer. Get over it and support the guy who is playing a role within a winning team at Parkhead.
This in spades

Not sure what game some people were watching who think he was ‘excellent yesterday’.

The game we won 2-0 with a TEAM effort. Everyone played their part. Morelos hassling Duffy and winning the ball back the first 5 minutes set the tone. As did his involvement in the two goals.

Put it this way....did he do more than all 4 of their strikers combined? Yes or No.

Alfie is playing in a new way and contributing to our victories,obviously training sessions are aimed at this.
I cannot understand all the hype/hysteria regards Roofe as IMHO he hasn't played enough to convince me of what it's about.

This place is unreal, folk slating a Rangers player, get rid, liability after we beat them in their own midden, he gets better press off the tabloids than he does from some folk on here.
If he cut out all his shite he wouldn't get stick. Let's be honest if the ref saw the slap we would have been a man down again.
Hi did link up play Yesterday.

There is a reason our front three of Barker, Kent and Morelos were quiet once the first goal went in yesterday. We pretty much sat off them and asked them to do something which they failed miserably at.

Was very controlled and patient from us with a degree of maturity shown into the bargain.

We can analyse individuals all day but that yesterday was a team performance and everyone played their part.

For what it's worth Morelos involved in the build up to another well worked goal again.

Well no, we know exactly the situation with the referees; there's no if or maybe about that. Cuffing someone's ear and it being seen is risking at least a yellow and so is barging someone after the ball is away - sometimes you will get away it, sometimes you won't. Morelos always plays on that edge, I don't actually have a problem with it as long it's not combined with risking other cautions for pointless stupidity. Might be hypothetical but Morelos has proven time and time again that being on a caution won't stop him still playing on the edge.

I also don't think it was a particularly harsh booking, he was after a reaction from Duffy and got one.
So if we know exactly what will happen with referees why wasn’t he off as you are citing multiple “cautionable” offences. Yet he didn’t get multiple cautions. So you are if, but and maybeing and worst case, hypothetical situation that didn’t arrive. Whether you will admit that or not.

He didn’t get two yellows. Everything else is hypothetical.

what isn’t hypothetical , he didn’t get 2 yellows, he contributed well to a Rangers win.

If you can hypothetically add where he “should have got booked” why can’t I hypothetically remove where he “shouldn’t have got booked”?

Not just parkhead either, same at Ibrox or hampden for that matter.

This team has came a long way since gerrard arrived. Something we would do well to remember when people have a meltdown at having a couple of draws away from home.

Agree RT.

Gerrard & his team have given us as fans our pride back.

They’ve also given our directors a bit of sanity because their investment to save the club is now dwarfed by player valuation.

We just need that first trophy.

I actually stopped replying to a friend any time he messages about Morelos. We are winning 4 0 in Holland. His first message about the game is about Morelos being crap. Weird mentality for a Rangers fan.

This board is full of people like that.

Sad and perverse way to live your life.

He looks fitter than itten.
as for the posts that said if roofe was fit or roofe will play next week,
who would you have played instead of Alfie yesterday?

He returned from the longest journey of any of our players on international duty but still wanted on that park.

Despite areas he is fragile on, fitness & his desire to play for us should be commended.

Havent seen enough of itten to judge him but no one else can do what he does for us.they are terrified of him every time he plays he occupys there whole defence yesterday it maybe doenst look like he is doing much but his presence alone makes there defence wary of where he is and what he is doing as he is a constant pest he was under there skin yesterday instead of the other way round he had them riled to point there diving about looking to get him booked and he got the reaction out of duffy where on another day hes off

So if we know exactly what will happen with referees why wasn’t he off as you are citing multiple “cautionable” offences. Yet he didn’t get multiple cautions. So you are if, but and maybeing and worst case, hypothetical situation that didn’t arrive. Whether you will admit that or not.

He didn’t get two yellows. Everything else is hypothetical.

what isn’t hypothetical , he didn’t get 2 yellows, he contributed well to a Rangers win.

If you can hypothetically add where he “should have got booked” why can’t I hypothetically remove where he “shouldn’t have got booked”?
He didn't get booked for the brown incident as Beaton didnt see it; that's quite blatantly the reason why.

Cuffing someone's ear is blatantly stupid, and runs the risk of him costing us dearly in what was otherwise I think a very good performance. There is no if, but or maybe about that - if he is cautioned there then he is on a tightrope meaning he is a risk of getting sent off or possibly having to be taken off be for he is.

He looks fitter than itten.
as for the posts that said if roofe was fit or roofe will play next week,
who would you have played instead of Alfie yesterday?

Roofe hasn’t even put in a top display for us yet. People just want him right in there because he’s the shiny new toy and on the assumption that because we’ve paid a bit of money for him he must be dynamite, and of course because Morelos has been out of form and lost a lot of the support by wanting a move.

He’s a different type of forward to Morelos anyway, I think both will have their uses. But with Roofe’s injury record I certainly wouldn’t be vilifying or chasing Morelos off just yet.

Alfie is playing in a new way and contributing to our victories,obviously training sessions are aimed at this.
I cannot understand all the hype/hysteria regards Roofe as IMHO he hasn't played enough to convince me of what it's about.
If we are to get 18 million he needs to get the goals as our main striker!

I said on the match thread that Beaton was watching him like a hawk and that he has brought it on himself.

I stand by my comment, as the rest of the Rangers team were playing with cool, calm heads and sticking to the task in hand.

Later in the evening I watched the 30 minute hilights on sky football and to be fair Alfie was involved in all of the good stuff we were playing, coming deep to draw scum players out and passing the ball forward quickly.
i just want him to let his football do the talking, he gets too easily wound up and the scum players know it

Havent seen enough of itten to judge him but no one else can do what he does for us.they are terrified of him every time he plays he occupys there whole defence yesterday it maybe doenst look like he is doing much but his presence alone makes there defence wary of where he is and what he is doing as he is a constant pest he was under there skin yesterday instead of the other way round he had them riled to point there diving about looking to get him booked and he got the reaction out of duffy where on another day hes off

Itten looks like a talented lad, but I heard an interview where he acknowledged that they are working on his development.

Holding the ball up with his back to goal is one of those areas.

Anyone who looked at his YouTube clips will also have noticed no examples of him leading the St Gallen line with his back to goal.

He will become a big asset as he develops in the way that Morelos, Kent & others have.

How the %^*& is that ever a red?

It’s like people are gutted he wasn’t sent off so they can back up their pre conceived idea of him. Shocking.

of course it's not a red. but daft to suggest folk are "gutted he wasn't sent off."

Folk (myself included) are sick of him not just being able to help himself. We utterly dominated yesterday, don't give any excuse to the ref to get the cards out and change the game. The refs are itching to do it. It's unfair, but we obviously can't influence it.
So keep the head down and keep out of things, rather than pish like the above, and his 10 minutes before half time.

Reactions: GF7
You need to understand he’s in good form. Not his best. But good.

You’ll never be happy with him again so it’s pointless anyway.

A return to form, hilarious ....
Oh give it a rest. He’s clearly not playing as well as he was last year. That was an improved performance but we need to see more of it. He does that of course we will all be happy.

Wish I hadn’t replied to this thread. This is a very good weekend and we should all just enjoy it.

Oh give it a rest. He’s clearly not playing as well as he was last year. That was an improved performance but we need to see more of it. He does that of course we will all be happy.

Wish I hadn’t replied to this thread. This is a very good weekend and we should all just enjoy it.

It is. It’s been great. Possibly the turning point for us & them, albeit we have a lot of work to prove it.

I’ll support every one of our players, and let’s hope they, as a group, give us what our loyalty truly deserves.

As for the playful wee clip on the back of Browns baldy head. Maybe could have seen red depending on the ref / players reaction but these things happen a lot in football and nothing gets said.

Worth pointing out early doors brown put a block in on alfie and got in his face and attempted to do a "Broony" wee man got up and just walked by him if he wasn't there. Same with Duffy ran and blooterd the ball of him Alfie just gets up and gets on with it.

Brown was at him the entire game right up until the second goal went in.

Get it right up them!

Watch the match back like MR and you might see it was your assessment of the match was awful.

Also, 2 bad passes in a match does not constitute awful for any player.

As MR points out watching back, Kent wasted the ball more, was he awful? Was Davis awful as he turned over possession a couple of times. Goldson should have given up and embarrassing goal, was he awful? No. Because it’s about looking at a performance as a whole and not just hunting for the negative moments that support your predetermined analysis of a performance.

Sorry i've hurt your fragile feelings LOL

Don’t disagree, and I was delighted that Gerrard got him off as soon as that happened.

Without Roofe, it’s difficult, as Itten needs more work on him at this stage to lead the line against that lot in my opinion.
Thats why I think he is an enigma, he has a lot in his locker but he is high profile, I bet the Clancy's of this world were sitting gnashing their teeth at his antics. Looking back at it, I enjoyed every minute of his annoyance to them but I suppose that's Alfie

Alfie is doing just fine, annoying broon 10 and the lump of wood at centre half. Yes would love more goals, but his dropping back to do the dirty work is adding more to his game. And he loves us the same as we love him.

I agree with OP. He was always a available to receive the ball & linked up play well most of the game. Although I’ve seen him better he did more than all 4 Sellick strikers did all day. As said he had a hand in our 2 goals...anyone giving El Buf a hard time y.day needs to take the day off.

He had a perfectly good game in terms of link up play and working hard across their back line. Yes, there were a couple of stupid moments but as usual the hysteria will outstrip the reality.

Wasn’t getting himself into dangerous areas though and never seriously looked like scoring.
Yes but as with Kent both well targeted and both make good runs pulling defenders out of place allowing space for others from the flanks and midfield to exploit! Morelos was nowhere near as bad as some think imo! Some of his touches and weighted passes were excellent and as with other players some passes didn't reach their marker but were worth trying and if they had come off well?

Yep until he gets sent off, then you'd be crying about him. He can't be trusted. Like I said he started really well, but after his misplaced pass he seemed to slip back to his usual nonsense.
Both Kent and Morelos off the ball movement opened spaces for other players to exploit that is what good players do when closely guarded in the danger areas and not working out!

You are right here. There is a mentality amongst them that Morelos must not score AT ALL COSTS so what they do is they spend all their time chasing him around the box only to leave every other Rangers player with acres of space.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
Couldn't agree more

The ref let them away with a few in the first half, so Alfie was quite right to take advantage of that.

SG has him in a false 9 drawing out defenders to make space, of course the goal return will drop in that role, but it suits the team at present.

Liability get rid of him first chance his link up play was terrible looks as slow as a week in jail other than that great performance from Rangers
Some of his link up play was good and his off the ball movement along with Kent was really good! I would say Dizzel you're talking drivel imo and fail to see the overall contribution in Morelos's performance but dont worry there are a few who think same as you it happens when you are expecting different to what you sometimes get!

Back