Most capped Scottish footballer per Council Region

I was thinking more of Bobby Russell.
Played in the same era.

Cultured, class midfielder - 0 caps.
Big f ucking clogging haddie - 57 caps.

Scottish football, folks.
Even if we're being non partizan his team mate Tommy Burns who was on a different stratosphere from Aitken only got 8 caps.
I always thought Bobby Russell and TB would have been a good midfield combination.

80,000 people at Wembley paying £50 a head = £4m might have something to do with it as well. Same the world over - screw as much out of the paying public as you can. How else would you line the ever deepening pockets of rich footballers?
That's what I was alluding to when I mentioned politics mate.

Sponsorship deals, palm greasing, etc, etc has to be paid for somehow.

The wee red book, bought this every year as a young lad. Amazing facts and figures in it. Doubt it's still going though.
Still on the go mate. My elderly father bought me and my nephew the latest one at the start of the season.

A shame my memories of it are now tarred by the producing organisation and its current politics and politicking.

Last edited:
The fact that McStay won 76 caps whilst achieving a solitary Scottish Cup in 9 years from 89 to 97 tells you everything about Roxburgh and Brown.

Our captain at least called them out for the charlatans they were.

Everything you wanted to know about Scottish football.
Updated every year.
Every bit as much of a rite of passage as a pie and bovril for a young (and not so young) football fan mate. :)

Like you, I bought them every season without fail up until about ten years back. Might've bought the odd one in between times though.

Felt about ten again when my old man randomly presented me with one back in August! :D

Every bit as much of a rite of passage as a pie and bovril for a young (and not so young) football fan mate. :)

Like you, I bought them every season without fail up until about ten years back. Might've bought the odd one in between times though.

Felt about ten again when my old man randomly presented me with one back in August! :D
I’ve got some collection mate.

I’ve got the 23/24 edition.
Published by the Glasgow Times,cost is £3.99.
That's why no one buys it and no one stocks it.

The Herald Group can cite production costs, the internet and dwindling sales for justification all they like, but ultimately it is self-defeating.

A childhood staple which still should be one (getting kids off devices) which no doubt has went the same way as Commando and 2000ad whereby no one under 45 buys it or gives a toss about it.

A shame in many ways. But hey, that's progress.

Alan Hansen, one of the most elegant and talented defenders in the history of the British game, must be looking at that list and wondering why he was shat upon from such a great height.

Out-capped by Grant Hanley, Christian Dailly and Gary Caldwell. Quantity over quality if ever I saw it.

The fact that McStay won 76 caps whilst achieving a solitary Scottish Cup in 9 years from 89 to 97 tells you everything about Roxburgh and Brown.

Don't really understand this to be honest.

John Greig's Scotland career didn't exactly coincide with his most trophy laden spell with Rangers.

I was thinking more of Bobby Russell.
Played in the same era.

Cultured, class midfielder - 0 caps.
Big f ucking clogging haddie - 57 caps.

Scottish football, folks.
Bobby Russell - 0 caps
Peter The Pointer - 2 caps
Jim McInally - 10 caps

John Brown - 0 caps
Brian Irvine - 9 caps
Derek Whyte - 12 caps

Davie Robertson - 3 caps
Tosh McKinlay - 22 caps

I could go on and on.

Don't really understand this to be honest.

John Greig's Scotland career didn't exactly coincide with his most trophy laden spell with Rangers.
I would agree with you on the point regarding Greig. The point I am making is at the time Rangers had far superior midfielders who were winning week in and week out.

In the same period David Robertson and John Brown were criminally overlooked for caps with carthorses like Tosh McKinlay and Tom Boyd being picked ahead of them.

John Brown was called up for a squad and Craig Brown with his school teacher mentality was more interested in the colour of tape he used on his socks.

That's what you want us to believe and you're safe in the knowledge that none of us will ever venture up there to prove otherwise.
When I was growing up in the 90s/00s there was no infrastructure for kids to play football. There was no organised football, it wasn't played in school, and playing football involved hanging around at the pitch until enough people had turned up to get a game going. When I was about 13 we had a short-lived league, but due to the low population teams would have a mix of boys and girls ranging between 7 or 8 years old, up to 14, playing together. I think it lasted about 2 seasons. Football's still the most popular sport to watch but playing it was never taken seriously, whereas the rugby club on the island had a proper pitch and clubhouse, and the team would play competitively.

F
Bellshill Maternity, for - what feels like - myself and probably 50% of this forum!

Totally forgot that all of the regionalisation happened as recently as 1996.
For years i always thought i was born in Bellshill Maternity, turns out it was Motherwell, i assume its Airbles Road.

Not sure if there's many more countries? Perhaps with the split of the likes of Czechoslovakia, but that wouldn't account for this increase. B-D
Yugoslavia and Russia must account for about 14 or 15 new countries at least.

Edit its actually 22

Young was the first Scot to get 50 caps for Scotland, has captained Scotland more times than any other player although Robertson is about to pass him on that record in the next couple of games. They mentioned it on radio commentary the other night.

Interestingly we refused to release our players for the 58 World Cup in Sweden instead taking them on a tour of North America.

Superscore board would have been interesting listening then. :))

I'm sure it was 1954, bud.

Did super actually live in bellshill or just born there? I know he went to school in East Kilbride

Henry McNeil has 10 caps from Argyll and Bute. Derek Parlane, from Helensburgh in Argyll and Bute, has 12 caps. However, Helensburgh was only integrated into Argyll and Bute in 1996, it was previously part of West Dunbartonshire. This probably explains why Derek is excluded.

Alan Hansen, one of the most elegant and talented defenders in the history of the British game, must be looking at that list and wondering why he was shat upon from such a great height.

Out-capped by Grant Hanley, Christian Dailly and Gary Caldwell. Quantity over quality if ever I saw it.
probably cause he was a Rangers man,

though didn't think that attitude was so prevailent in those days

Hanley is a joke he is making a living as a footballer

McStay played in a team though. The same argument gets used to lambast James Tavernier as if he can win trophies on his own.

McStay was a very good footballer who I guarantee you that Rangers would've snapped up had he not been that way inclined.

Back