Most ridiculous Rangers red card?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Plenty examples of our players sent off that should never have been. Which one first springs to mind?

Davie Robertson in the cup semi final v celtic?
Souness at Easter Road? ( joke!)
Andy Halliday at Morton?
Kevin Thomson every time Craig Thompson was in charge?

What one would you choose?

Certainly the most recent one.
I’d have love to have seen the refs report for the spoon burners.

“Jack continuously moved his head, bobbing and weaving denying IRA Stokes his rightful heed butt. He was in clear violation of the rules around what Rangers players can and cannot do...”

Phillippe Senderos against them

Ran up the tunnel faster than hes ever moved on the park, blatently jumped up and deliberately hit the ball with his hand in a area of the park that wasn't dangerous so he could escape the hiding we were onto

disgusting behavior

Numan v Sturm Graz for me. The fact the ref actually waved him on then booked him for it will take some beating.

Can I also go to yellow when Paul Gascoigne picked up the card the referee dropped and jokingly showed the Ref it. The ref booked him. The same thing happened in Holland last season and the ref cuddled the player and walked away.

What become of that ref?

Bougherra at the piggery in the Scottish Cup replay. Think we had 2 or 3 sent off that night but his was the worst, took the ball clean as a whistle but hard.

Plenty examples of our players sent off that should never have been. Which one first springs to mind?

Davie Robertson in the cup semi final v celtic?
Souness at Easter Road? ( joke!)
Andy Halliday at Morton?
Kevin Thomson every time Craig Thompson was in charge?

What one would you choose?
Halliday.

Hard to get past Halliday at Cappielow. To this day the only footballer sent off for celebrating his teams goal in the center circle and getting his marching orders. Probably even dumber than Gazza’s yellow v Hibs.
Surely a 4th official wandering onto the pitch telling the referee to change hus decision after 5 minutes of watching replays in a country that doesn't use VAR is another thing that has only ever happened against Rangers?

Got to be Halliday at Cappielow, clenched fist in the centre circle meriting a 2nd booking has got to be a world first, not even a one or two fingered salute!

Numan v Sturm Graz for me. The fact the ref actually waved him on then booked him for it will take some beating.

Is there a clip of this anywhere?
I only ask as the official 'Gers site has this . . .
"Fortunately, though, the Dutchman – who was already carrying a slight knock before the game – came back on although was booked for returning to the field of play before being given permission. Something he would pay for later."
Confusing.

"Fortunately, though, the Dutchman – who was already carrying a slight knock before the game – came back on although was booked for returning to the field of play before being given permission. Something he would pay for later."
Confusing.
That's wrong, he was absolutely raging when he got sent off cos it was the refs fault. I could be wrong but I'm sure it later got rescinded.

Hard to get past Halliday at Cappielow. To this day the only footballer sent off for celebrating his teams goal in the center circle and getting his marching orders. Probably even dumber than Gazza’s yellow v Hibs.
Close thread, head and shoulders for absolute madness.

I always thought gazza red card v Celtic in the 10 in a row season was mental..cost us that game and arguably the season

Arthur Numan v Sturm Graz.

Already booked and off for treatment.
Ref waves him back onto the pitch then books him for coming back on.

It’s this by a mile for me.

I actually mentioned it yesterday in a thread when it came to mind

So ridiculous

Ran up the tunnel faster than hes ever moved on the park, blatently jumped up and deliberately hit the ball with his hand in a area of the park that wasn't dangerous so he could escape the hiding we were onto

disgusting behavior
It’s a different interpretation of the question but, I’d agree with all you've posted.

Hateley had slipped my mind, was very soft.

Halliday has to be the most baffling though. The fact none Rangers fans mentioned it to me at work the next day says a lot because it was being discussed on Sky Sports News.

The only argument against this is that it was a yellow card for the incident and that he’d already been booked so was sent off.
A ridiculous enough booking, of course.

That's wrong, he was absolutely raging when he got sent off cos it was the refs fault. I could be wrong but I'm sure it later got rescinded.
100% right mate.
Sturm Graz was matchday 5.
Numan started the last game against Monaco.

Confusing.
Exactly what you could expect from Rangers official site back then.
He was booked in the 13th minute.
Returning to the field of play was the 2nd booking.
They couldn't even get the order of booking right let alone the fact he was waved on.

I always thought gazza red card v Celtic in the 10 in a row season was mental..cost us that game and arguably the season

Correct.

Never a red, Rowbottom was choking to send him off after getting pelters in the media for not sending him off in previous games.

In the end we played them off the park with 10 men took the lead & then Stubbs who himself should have been off for a scandalous tackle on Negri beside the dugout whilst already on a booking equalised in injury time to give them a point they never deserved.

Always remember my Da saying at the final whistle that goal could end up costing us 10 in a row, & although there were many ups & downs thereafter in the season looking at the final table it did.

Recon that done us out the Euro cup the French were wrapped they were shite scared from him.
Was at a Sportsman's dinner and Hatley spoke of the incident. Apparently he was approached before the first Marseille game and offered a bribe not to play, he immediately informed Walter about it. As I said the ref was later found to have been taking bribes for years.

The David Robertson dismissal by a ref called Andrew Waddell has to be in the outrageous category. But what a night that was. Winning that semi-final, playing with ten men for almost the full game was just magnificent.

disgusting behavior
He should never have played for us again after that. It was so blatant his contract should have been torn up and booted out the club

Back