Most ridiculous Rangers red card?

Halliday was ridiculous but it was a second yellow.

The worst straight red has to Robertson’s in the semi final. It was very early in the game a simple body check just inside our crowded half and a straight red!! WTF!!!

If we had lost that game a helluva lot more would have been said about it but as mentioned what a night .. North Enclosure Loyal. To be so close to them and to feel their pain. Simply glorious

One other straight Red that came to mind was for Papac against Falkirk (I think). If I remember correctly the ref had lost the plot that day and there was a bit of an outcry from Falkirk. Think the referee knew he had fucked up a few decisions and was trying to redress the balance.

Don’t understand why Wallace got a red.
I know why...quite simple. It was to even up the score,having sent Mahe off earlier Dallas decided he'd better send one of us off. It was an inexplicable decision made by a coward of a referee.

As would be shown a few minutes later,when the guy who should've seen red for his challenge on Wallace was red carded for scything down Reyna,Hugh Dallas was no friend of Rangers.

Halliday's was a complete joke, you'll never see another red card like that.

Chris Woods one for me was odd, if anything it should have been butcher or roberts if any at all. Bookings would have been enough.

If we are talking straight reds there have been a few , Hateley against Brugge looked very dodgy, as has been mentioned.

More recently Jack ,for an unavoidable follow through when making a legal challenge ,is right up there.

Van Bronckhurst at Dens Park back in 1999. He took one almighty boot on the balls from big Lee Wilkie and as he was going down Gio made a token retaliatory swing at Wilkie. Willie gets a yellow for his boot and while Gio is quite literally writhing in agony the ref showed him a red. Gio had to be carried off the pitch on a stretcher. With the kick he had taken from Wilkie it was a wonder that they did not have to search Dens Road for his balls.

Seem to renember Huistra being sent of against them in the first 10 minutes. If I remember he took a fresh air swipe due to frustration with the nearest timothy about 2 foot away.

Is there a clip of this anywhere?
I only ask as the official 'Gers site has this . . .
"Fortunately, though, the Dutchman – who was already carrying a slight knock before the game – came back on although was booked for returning to the field of play before being given permission. Something he would pay for later."
Confusing.
I'm sure the red card was later rescinded

Is there a clip of this anywhere?
I only ask as the official 'Gers site has this . . .
"Fortunately, though, the Dutchman – who was already carrying a slight knock before the game – came back on although was booked for returning to the field of play before being given permission. Something he would pay for later."
Confusing.

As I remember it the linesman told him to go on not the ref. It was overturned on appeal iirc

The David Robertson dismissal by a ref called Andrew Waddell has to be in the outrageous category. But what a night that was. Winning that semi-final, playing with ten men for almost the full game was just magnificent.
Couldn't believe that red. The block by Robertson was in the Celtic half as well, it's not like he was last man. Fortunately justice was done in the end.

Because Riseth had to be sent off.
Dallas had to send one of our players off to balance it up.
Add in him shitting himself when Kerr picked the ball up 35 yards from goal.

The mentally challengeds actually think Dallas cost them that day.
Wallace was sent off to balance things up but Riseth was not sent off in the same incident.

I always thought Dallas was a poor referee but, to a degree, i can understand his performance that day as there was an element of self preservation to it.

Wallace was sent off to balance things up but Riseth was not sent off in the same incident.

I always thought Dallas was a poor referee but, to a degree, i can understand his performance that day as there was an element of self preservation to it.
You mean cheating.

Pieter Huistra versus them was one that immediately popped into my mind for some reason.
Ridiculous wise but I’d go for that lady's front bottom Whittaker throwing the ball away in Malmo.

I always thought gazza red card v Celtic in the 10 in a row season was mental..cost us that game and arguably the season

The mhedia had a campaign that season demanding why Gazza has never been sent off in Scotland, more than inferring that Gazza was being given favoured status due to his name...the refs soon duly obliged with a red card. Strachan later had a similar campaign in the tabloids about the lack of penalties awarded to his team...they ended up with a new British record for penalties awarded.

So many recently.

Halliday against Morton, Jack (too many to name), but also Holts in the last game of the season given the tackles Hivs got away with and he got a second card for a tug having been booked for a nothing tackle given everything else going on in the game.

Seem to renember Huistra being sent of against them in the first 10 minutes. If I remember he took a fresh air swipe due to frustration with the nearest timothy about 2 foot away.

Don't know why, but I've always thought this happened at Easter Road. I was watching the game from what was then the Hivs main stand, and had a perfect view of it. Mental decision.

It’s a toss up between Halliday at Morton and Numan at Sturm Graz.

Both genuinely astonishing :eek:

Rod Wallace in the Piggery "Shame Game" as already mentioned. Sent off for literally being fouled by Vidar Riseth.

A shameful attempt at evening the score and placating the baying Yahoo mob by a coward who was got at big time that day.

Because Riseth had to be sent off.
Dallas had to send one of our players off to balance it up.
Add in him shitting himself when Kerr picked the ball up 35 yards from goal.

The mentally challengeds actually think Dallas cost them that day.

After half time Dallas let the mentally challengeds away with murder that day

It was game management and damage limitation second half from Dallas

It was never brung under any scrutiny as he gave us a penalty and sent a few them off

After half time Dallas let the mentally challengeds away with murder that day

It was game management and damage limitation second half from Dallas

It was never brung under any scrutiny as he gave us a penalty and sent a few them off

He deliberately failed to apply the laws of the game fairly and impartially. In other words, he cheated.

Graham Roberts heading the ball outside the box away to St Mirren.... Andrew Waddell gives a penalty.

Incredible decision.

I dont know what is the most ridiculous red card we have ever had but I do know what the most ridiculous yellow card we got is.

Gazza (against Hibs) picking up the refs yellow card and pretending to book him and then getting booked himself

For some reason the first one that sprung to mind was the Davie Cooper red card against Borussia Monchengladbach in 1986 UEFA cup.

Cant for the life of me remember why it stuck out???

Halliday celebrating and Jack being sent off for having his feet stepped on 3 times then Broadfoot going down as soon as they're looking at each other face to face are the two biggest farces i have seen in a long time as far as sending offs go

Hately v Bruges, ref was later found to be taking bribes.

I was at game but missed that went to get food, stumped when he never came out for 2nd half and the brugge player was getting booed, man next to me filled me in.

Last edited:
The David Robertson dismissal by a ref called Andrew Waddell has to be in the outrageous category. But what a night that was. Winning that semi-final, playing with ten men for almost the full game was just magnificent.

I was 8month pregnant at that game, bursting in to tears as soon as he was sent off, we fair made up for it, still managed to waddle to the cup final .

For some reason the first one that sprung to mind was the Davie Cooper red card against Borussia Monchengladbach in 1986 UEFA cup.

Cant for the life of me remember why it stuck out???

this is the one I was going to say, I read somewhere he asked the ref are you not allowed to book Germans. super Ally in that game, I have hated that club ever since

Exactly what you could expect from Rangers official site back then.
He was booked in the 13th minute.
Returning to the field of play was the 2nd booking.
They couldn't even get the order of booking right let alone the fact he was waved on.

It's still there - ample time to fix it . . . but they won't, will they?

Back