Match Thread Motherwell v Rangers - 12:00 Sunday - Sky Sports

There was a heartening moment in the second half when the ball broke at the edge of the box for them to have a shot - 3 of our players flung themselves in front of the ball - great to see.

I love our manager. He speaks so well, he thinks about every aspect of the game on and off the pitch. What a pleasure it is to hear him talk, back him in January and see what he can do.
He has the team structurally and mentally strong. Obviously does his homework for each opponent. He continues to work miracles. Continue unbeaten for next two games and the title is very much on. We couldn’t say that twelve weeks ago.

The VAR up here really is pish I mean what pixel are they drawing those lines from. :D
Vars pish, full stop. Football is all about scoring goals, yet we have managed to bring in a new system, that actively goes out it's way to find the merest excuse to rule them out.

Watching match of the day last night and we are very nearly at the point of holding back from celebrating a goal. Clear and obvious, remember that? Impossible for the naked eye to find a toe offside, but we have now found a way to do it.

its in different directions all over the pitch.

folk are going mental because its "gash" we are coping but the ball is getting affected by the wind even when its on the ground.

its even worse if you have to run into that with the ball.

Yep, several times the ball moved even on the ground and put players off, and caused opportunities to be lost.

Vars pish, full stop. Football is all about scoring goals, yet we have managed to bring in a new system, that actively goes out it's way to find the merest excuse to rule them out.

Watching match of the day last night and we are very nearly at the point of holding back from celebrating a goal. Clear and obvious, remember that? Impossible for the naked eye to find a toe offside, but we have now found a way to do it.
Offside has never fallen under “clear and obvious”.

Cantwell and Dowell showed showed good footballers can adapt to the conditions. Wright Lammers and Motondo enough said !

Solid performance in difficult conditions.

Just seeing moans on Twitter about Dessers pulling back the Motherwell player during the goal line stramash in the second half. Was there a reason it wasn’t given, offside etc? Doesn’t look great on the stills.

That said, plenty decisions went against us and it’s enjoyable seeing them all moan about it, patterns of assistance etc. Merry Xmas!

I’m not a fan in general myself. But especially offsides when you compare the checks up here to a premier league match it’s worse than the bargain basement version up here.

The one I was talking about and I never criticised every player so get your facts right mr happy clapper.
Paraphrasing, but you said, "I fear for us at the piggery if we start with this team." That stupid negativity is what caught my eye, after we go up 2-0 in 15 minutes. That's criticism of the full team.

Don't be a liar and an anti-Rangers "supporter".

"Happy clapper" is also the battle cry of the moaning faced git. We've been on a ridiculous run of form. We can go top, when the season looked to done. We're into last 16 of Europa. We just won 2-0 away from home in gale force winds.

If that makes many on here happy clappers, I'm sure they'll take it.

Now go and think up something positive to say about Rangers.

No idea what he's referring to and sky would have definitely picked up on it at the time.
It should have been a penalty. We got off the hook. Dessers foolishly pulled on of their players back when he was moving into the ongoing stramash.
Having said that, on the balance of play, Motherwell were lucky to get off the park with only a 2-0 defeat.

I thought we played really well in the first half and totally dominated proceedings. We lost our way a bit in the second 45, but i'll put that down to the weather and the fact the job was already done.

I said after the Saints game I didnt get the fuss being made about Dowell, but he certainly made his presence felt today. A decent shift from Ridvan as well, who's been maligned a bit recently. Big Leon was solid as usual but Cantwell was my MOTM. He scored a great goal, was robbed of a second by a brilliant save from Kelly, and continually looked our biggest threat all game

Important 3 points today which keeps us in touch of top spot

Last edited:
Arfield agrees. One of those if the referee had given it VAR would not have overturned the decision I reckon.

This will probably be the focus of attention tomorrow rather than how O'Donnell managed to stay on the park.
For next week at the piggery, VAR reporting will go into overdrive

I thought we played really well in the first half and totally dominated proceedings. We lost our was a bit in the second 45, but i'll put that down to the weather and the fact the job was already done.

I said after the Saints game I didnt get the fuss being made about Dowell, but he certainly made his presence felt today. A decent shift from Ridvan as well, who's been maligned a bit recently. Big Leon was solid as usual but Cantwell was my MOTM. He scored a great goal, was robbed of a second by a brilliant save from Kelly, and continually looked our biggest threat all game

Important 3 points today which keeps us in touch of top spot
Great first half and effectively killed the game and thats what I want to see going to these types of away games.

Great result with the weather and a depleted squad, We ain’t playing great yet but we are disciplined and well drilled under clement

Arfield agrees. One of those if the referee had given it VAR would not have overturned the decision I reckon.

This will probably be the focus of attention tomorrow rather than how O'Donnell managed to stay on the park.

I thought O’Donnell caught Jack Butland on the head with his studs seconds before it.

To me, a foul & a red for O’Donnell.

Goldson going off holding his groin was not what I wanted to see. Hope he is ok.
Well done Rangers in terrible conditions.

Offside has never fallen under “clear and obvious”.
Well it should. Some of the goals being chopped off now is f**ken ridiculous.

Goals make football, yet we're finding a way to rule them out. Line across a tv screen showing a toenail to rule it out. It's a hindrance to enjoyment of football, especially for fans who pay a lot of money to watch it live. It's killing the enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:
If you were here at the game, then you wouldn't be making such a daft statement.

Gale force wind that's swirling around the park made good football impossible.

BTW, if you've managed to catch the 2nd half of any other games, then you'll know that we defeated a Spanish team away from home that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid couldn't beat.
We're also on a long unbeaten run and the League Cup is already in the trophy room.

All this done with 10 first team players missing.

Hardly amateurish
*Drops Mic

Paraphrasing, but you said, "I fear for us at the piggery if we start with this team." That stupid negativity is what caught my eye, after we go up 2-0 in 15 minutes. That's criticism of the full team.

Don't be a liar and an anti-Rangers "supporter".

"Happy clapper" is also the battle cry of the moaning faced git. We've been on a ridiculous run of form. We can go top, when the season looked to done. We're into last 16 of Europa. We just won 2-0 away from home in gale force winds.

If that makes many on here happy clappers, I'm sure they'll take it.

Now go and think up something positive to say about Rangers.

Definitely a happy clapper mate , you said I criticised every player and once again you are wrong , as I said get your facts right .

Well it should. Some of the goals being chopped off now is f**ken ridiculous.

Goals make football, yet we're finding a way to rule them out. Line across a tv screen showing a toenail to rule it out. It's a hindrance to enjoyment of football, especially for fans who pay a lot of money to see watch it live. It's killing the enjoyment of the game.
As they currently stand, certain rules have stopped serving a purpose. Dessers gains no advantage from his big toe being defined offside by today's rules. Handball rule has gone a similar way. As you say, it actually negates moments of entertainment and skill, and makes media coverage an absolute bore as it's just endless discussion of pedantic refereeing decisions.

Never mind tomorrow, it will be the main focus on Sportscene tonight.

At this stage of the season, and especially in conditions like that, the only thing that matters is getting the three points.

Kettlewell sacked soon, surely.

To go 15 games without a win is outrageous and there was an embarrassing stat about them losing the first goal X times in games.

He is a PE Teacher and even ordering double periods after.school won't save him.

A great 3 points today and I have to say I’m even happier over the last few weeks that players have came in due to injury and have more than stepped up the plate. Dowell, Sterling and wee Yilmaz (to a lesser extent) have all came in and done a job, Dessers is a player who has improved week on week and got an assist today and on another day could have got a couple of goals. Great to see and suddenly our squad looks to me like one that can win the league, which I wouldn’t have said was remotely possible 9-10 weeks ago.

Just caught the second half of the game, our passing and ball control is amateur at best, if we give the ball away this easily at the beggar dome we will leave with nothing, I cant believe that so many professional players in the one team struggle to pass the ball to each other,You do realise itcwas. Blowing a gale and pishing it down …

Back