Murty now 2nd Fav, McInnes floating back towards evens.

Giving it to Murty would be an absolute slap in the face to every one of us.

What happens when the players stop responding to his "I'm your mate, lads" routine ? Then what ? Do we demote him back to Development Coach and insult him ? No, we inevitably lose a very good development coach in the process as well as wasting even more time

It would be a dereliction of duty from this board if he got the gig.

What if the players keep responding to him and we keep winning matches?

This group of players ? They won't.

If that's the case then they'll do it whoever is manager surely?

When you say this group of players whet do you mean? I don't think they have a bad attitude to be honest, and there's a decent amount of talent too.

I can’t think of an instance where a caretaker or interim manager being promoted to the main job worked. There’s usually a response then it goes backwards. Murty, good guy as he is, is not the answer.

When you say this group of players whet do you mean? I don't think they have a bad attitude to be honest, and there's a decent amount of talent too.
There’s certainly more talent in the squad than there was this time last year that’s for sure. There’s a few in there who aren’t up to scratch but I also agree we have a good few players in there who can do much better with a good manager.

Two good wins can't mask what went on before. And it's far too easy to blame it all on the oddball manager.

They have a tendency to chuck it if things aren't going for them rather than rolling their sleeves up and wiring in. See Motherwell at Hampden. Kilmarnock at home we were hanging on for grim life before the fiasco in the final minutes.

I like Murty. But he's absolutely from the Warburton school of 'arm around the shoulder, everything will be all right lads'. Great short term, it's not going to work long term. Eventually they will slack off and take the piss.

We need a bastard in there to tell them who's in charge.

A mate in work has just received a text saying that McLeish is getting the gig. He says the info is usually good. Probably pish but as it's a message board I thought I'd post what I heard.

It's getting frustrating now. I agree with some of the above posters saying that the board are clearly bricking it and don't know what to do.

Really not on the boat of rushing anything, but if we get to the Aberdeen double header with no manager in questions must be asked, they must have known for a couple of months pedro might not work and should have been doing their homework

A mate in work has just received a text saying that McLeish is getting the gig. He says the info is usually good. Probably pish but as it's a message board I thought I'd post what I heard.
Funny I got same text in the early hours.

If we get to the Aberdeen game and still no new manager in place and we don't get a decent result against them, then the AGM will be a stormy affair.

We have known since the Proges result Pedro didn't have what it takes even when he took over he made some mind-boggling decisions which we all gave him the benefit of the doubt as it was not his team.
We should have been more Prepared as with his managerial CV it was only going to end one way at us.
The thing is we are not miles of the pace so we need to act now before we are.

Reactions: M@x
I was listening to talksport this morning with Ally as Co presenter, they had big Sam on talking about him ruling himself out of the Everton job yesterday not one of them asked him about the Rangers vacancy, do you think this could be why we were taking so long appointing anyone, maybe waiting to see if he was still available?...

Even if McInnes does get the job now he's already been undermined in the eyes of the players.

They will just look at him as the guy who got the job because nobody better 'applied'.

Maybe the Board are aware that Pedro has been offered another position and if he accepts it will lessen what we have to pay in compensation??? There must be a reason for the delay because I simply can’t accept the line that they don’t know what they’re doing.

Two good wins can't mask what went on before. And it's far too easy to blame it all on the oddball manager.

They have a tendency to chuck it if things aren't going for them rather than rolling their sleeves up and wiring in. See Motherwell at Hampden. Kilmarnock at home we were hanging on for grim life before the fiasco in the final minutes.

I like Murty. But he's absolutely from the Warburton school of 'arm around the shoulder, everything will be all right lads'. Great short term, it's not going to work long term. Eventually they will slack off and take the piss.

I’m definitely not saying give the job to Murty, I just think if they really can’t see anyone they believe will be the man long term then don’t appoint someone they aren’t sure of for the sake of appeasing fans.

You could argue Pedro was a ‘bastard’, he had players papped to the 20’s left right and centre. Murty is definitely softer, but he has shown he isn’t like Warburton as in he’ll stick to a formula and never ever change it.

I agree. Some leadership is required.

Wonder if this is why some are hearing that it's McLeish and Murty?

I'm not saying I want this to be the case, far from it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the board opt for this, or something similar, to avoid paying any compensation.

For me, McInnes could be that b*****d, I think he has that management streak in him.

Maybe the Board are aware that Pedro has been offered another position and if he accepts it will lessen what we have to pay in compensation??? There must be a reason for the delay because I simply can’t accept the line that they don’t know what they’re doing.

Following the substitutions at half time during his first game it was clear as day to anybody with eyes that Pedro didn't have the first clue what he was doing.

The fact that no contingency plan was in place ready to be activated when the inevitable happened suggests otherwise mate.

Didn’t see your post, I’ve heard the same.

Also hoping it’s a load of shite.

Our Board really are between a rock and a hard place. ( hate that saying ) The biggest problem they face is attracting someone at least as good as Brendan Rodgers. No easy task.

From all the names suggested and put forward, and given where we are at this time financially, I still think McInnes is the best man for the job.

Of course there are better managers out there, but unfortunately we can't afford them or offer them the financial backing required to overhaul Celtic. Whoever comes in will have their work cut out.

Maybe this explains why this is taking so long. The board got it spectacularly wrong with Caixinha. Get it wrong again and we may never recover.

I have supported Rangers for close on 50 years.

I have no yahoos in my phone book.

I never received a text in the small hours.

Make of this what you will.
Calm yourself down. Im not claiming to be ITK im not saying McLeish is the next manager. Just saying I got same text as another poster got. And certainly not from a tim.

Calm yourself down. Im not claiming to be ITK im not saying McLeish is the next manager. Just saying I got same text as another poster got. And certainly not from a tim.
Perfectly calm here.

Never said you were a Tim.

That's a cracker. Got any more?

If the alternatives are Murty or McLeish I would have preferred sticking with Pedro.

The board should have been planning for this since Progres and are fannying about whilst the season is still there to salvage. We are lucky we have had an easy run of games and Murty has won them.

Nothing will happen until King gets here.

There are hundreds of examples of caretaker managers getting a bounce and then leveling out and losing their job, Craig Shakespeare being the most recent.

It does not work but plenty of teams will continue to make that mistake.

I remember the surge in support for McCall after we beat Hearts at Ibrox in 14/15.

All this time to end up with McLeish?

That would be truly depressing, also would give credence to the view we can’t afford the likes of McInnes or O’Neill.

I’m in the quite happy they aren’t rushing this camp - Not overly convinced on a lot of names mentioned & the next apt cannot be a cluster f&£k like the last one. Saving grace is we have a better quality of playing squad now and can see no reason, why we don’t give Murty the next 3 games to show us what he is capable of and more importantly- how the players react to his teamtalks, tactics and formation.
I think he has earned that chance.

I was listening to talksport this morning with Ally as Co presenter, they had big Sam on talking about him ruling himself out of the Everton job yesterday not one of them asked him about the Rangers vacancy, do you think this could be why we were taking so long appointing anyone, maybe waiting to see if he was still available?...

For sure, I can see it happening. He'd gladly walk over broken glass to come north, reject £100k a week at Goodison and a £2m bonus for a packet of crisps and a bottle of irn bru up here.

Have a word sir.

giphy.gif

All this time to end up with McLeish?

That would be truly depressing, also would give credence to the view we can’t afford the likes of McInnes or O’Neill.

If that was the case Pedro would still be manager.

The guys on the board might be a lot of things, but skint isn't one of them.

Strange that 3/4 people have came on now to say the same thing about McLeish, truly hope its one big wind up am not a part of

Murty is a youth coach, no offence to the guy but one of the players could probably have taken over as caretaker and got the same results.

We are 6 points behind and need to appoint a proper manager asap.

My biggest concern is that some of the rationale you see on this forum might be reflected in the boardroom, a boardroom that hired Pedro last time.

Give it to Murty, he's won 2 games.

Berg's Legia side beat Celtic 3 and a half years ago, that'll do for me.

Crazy.

Murty is a youth coach, no offence to the guy but one of the players could probably have taken over as caretaker and got the same results.

We are 6 points behind and need to appoint a proper manager asap.

Exactly.

All this talk of 'we won't win the league this year' is ripping my tits! The league has hardly started ffs.

Get some pressure on them then let's see how they react.

They are clearly bricking it to make the appointment.

They get this wrong. They are fu.cked in terms of the support ever giving them the benefit of the doubt over appointments again.
Agree and to be honest it doesn't bother me that they are taking so long about because its the end result that counts.

My personal opinion is that they have brought this pressure on themselves by getting rid of PC far too quickly.

Our Board really are between a rock and a hard place. ( hate that saying ) The biggest problem they face is attracting someone at least as good as Brendan Rodgers. No easy task.

From all the names suggested and put forward, and given where we are at this time financially, I still think McInnes is the best man for the job.

Of course there are better managers out there, but unfortunately we can't afford them or offer them the financial backing required to overhaul Celtic. Whoever comes in will have their work cut out.

Maybe this explains why this is taking so long. The board got it spectacularly wrong with Caixinha. Get it wrong again and we may never recover.

This is a fear of mine. Make a bad choice and stick with him for 2-3 seasons and we could find ourselves in a 10-15 year slump like Aberdeen where we "used to be a good team", always pining back for Laudrup, NIAR, Walter etc (like they do with SAF, ECWC etc...)

This is a fear of mine. Make a bad choice and stick with him for 2-3 seasons and we could find ourselves in a 10-15 year slump like Aberdeen where we "used to be a good team", always pining back for Laudrup, NIAR, Walter etc (like they do with SAF, ECWC etc...)
Exactly why I believe we got rid of PC far too quickly.

Back