Naismith on the Kris Boyd podcast

I've stated on other FF threads on the subject of Naismith, that one of the things missing from last year's Rangers team, was someone with the kind of aggressive, in-your-face-feistiness that Naismith brings. I can't help but wonder in deciding not to bring him back to Ibrox, did we end up cutting-off-our-nose-to-spite our-face?

Do you believe Nedved, a world superstar, with image rights etc, took a big risk for the club, going to Serie B. Chances are they were coming
If they hadn't came up straight away he'd probably have left. But with all those players staying there was absolutely no chance of them not getting back up straight away.

Big difference to working your way up through 3 divisions while earning a fraction of your wage.
Also worth taking into account that Nedved turned 34 at the start of that season. He was under contract at the biggest club in Italy on presumably huge wages. Given his age It’s unlikely there would have been many options for him to move to a club of a similar size for similar wages for 3 more years (which he had at Juventus). He would have likely had to take a pay cut or a step down in terms of size of club. A bit like McCulloch for us.

I think he was going to Everton either way. Everton were going to test the water with a 2 million bid. Naismith new that and he was interested. Our situation helped it along. I heard that from the Everton side.

No, as I said, he was in looking for a new contract that season. It was our situation that was the catalyst for the move.

I've stated on other FF threads on the subject of Naismith, that one of the things missing from last year's Rangers team, was someone with the kind of aggressive, in-your-face-feistiness that Naismith brings. I can't help but wonder in deciding not to bring him back to Ibrox, did we end up cutting-off-our-nose-to-spite our-face?

Yes. Sacrificed on the altar of staunchness, sabotaged by spurned-lover syndrome.

Matter of opinion, bailing to line your own pocket isn't my idea of being "quite right"
If the company I was working for slashed my wages and the future didn’t look positive then I would look for employment elsewhere too. Security for my family would be my priority.

a few people might be doing themselves a favour by watching that. he made it clear he wanted to spend his whole career at rangers, and contrary to what a few others have said, i feel like he still holds our club close to his heart. id take him in a heartbeat personally

If the company I was working for slashed my wages and the future didn’t look positive then I would look for employment elsewhere too. Security for my family would be my priority.

If your company paid you full wages for being off sick for months on end and you weren't willing to work with them for a little while on reduced wages while they found you something better, then I know who I would have more respect for.;)

That press conference would have hurt no matter which players had done it, but the fact it was Naismith really twisted the knife - you expect more and better from our own, and it came at exactly the worst time, when we were all confused and hurting. It wasn't even that he left us, but the words he spoke and the context in which he said them which were and remain absolutely unforgivable. He can readily acknowledge it was a mistake and that's fine enough, but he was supposed to be a Rangers fan and he should have known better.

Great, intelligent player at his best; the sort we probably miss right now. Still a rat who should never be welcome at Ibrox again.

His relationship with Rangers and the support in general is damaged beyond repair. And whether he wants to accept responsibility for that or not, it must stick in his craw that he was well on his way to becoming a Rangers legend forever, and that’s now well and truly gone.

8 years have passed and to be honest I don’t get angry when I think of Naismith. I just don’t think of him at all. He’s just another footballer. And that’s the difference in the esteem he is now held. Real hero to zero stuff.

The arrogance of him and Whittaker to hold a press conference is astonishing making it all about them. At no point did these rats think of the supporters who were hurting badly at the time and didn’t need another kick.

I don’t grudge any player leaving the club but they could done It without the pantomime around it. The way guys who had no history with Rangers ( bocanegra / edu etc) behaved was an example of showing a bit more class.

In some ways he must be completely gutted. He won’t be revered like other ex players and will miss out on the adoration of the fans for the rest of his life
nyq8xhX.gif

%^*& them both , Whittaker never a Rangers man and Naeshame (allegedly one of us) behaving in the same manner , get f*cked , ya wee f*cking shitehawk !
I personally despise you :mad:

I’ve always thought highly of Mo Edu for TUPE-ing over.

It was a risk for an established international player in the middle of his career, but he went ahead and agreed to the T’s and C’s. He wasn’t our best player in that era granted but he was a dedicated pro and scored some crucial goals for us during the three in a row period.

As for Naismith, time has passed and we all need to move on and look to the future. He hurt us, but it’s time for us to start winning on the pitch and not allowing a 34/35 Naismith to wreak havoc with our defence.

I had no problem with any of them leaving. Despite protestations to the contrary on here tonight, a few people were smelling a rat with Green right away. And as others have said, even if he’d TUPEd it would have likely seen %^*& all coming back to the club, one way or another. Bear in mind also that most footballers are young men not blessed with the greatest of intelligence, who rely on others for guidance and advice. If there had been a clearly ‘right’ thing to do, an absolute best answer then they would all have done the same. The fact that they didn’t tells you they were all being advised differently and had their own circumstances to think about.

The presser was the issue. I’ve not watched the podcast yet as I’ve just seen this thread and not had time yet. However I listened to him on the radio about two years ago. He was on for about half an hour. Went over it all. I believed his version of events (that he was badly advised and that the PC was seen as necessary to sever ties to Green, and also that international football was still high on his agenda), and I also believed the apology he made that day on the radio was sincere. I think we missed an opportunity in not taking him back. He would have slotted into the experienced, energetic, niggly forward role that Miller vacated. But what’s done is done.

Whittaker on the other hand remains a full-on lady's front bottom in my view. Has never offered any reflection or apology on it. %^*& him.

Do you know what I really don’t get? The water under the bridge crew who seem to have forgotten what 2012 was like. Is it just me??

I will never forget the fuckers who put the boot into us back then, and that includes this wee rat bastard

Was beginning to soften to Naismith but I’m afraid that podcast just brought all the emotions back to the surface. I was gutted when the players were quietly leaving but could understand why. The press conference from him and his pal devastated me.

Fa
I’ve always thought highly of Mo Edu for TUPE-ing over.

It was a risk for an established international player in the middle of his career, but he went ahead and agreed to the T’s and C’s. He wasn’t our best player in that era granted but he was a dedicated pro and scored some crucial goals for us during the three in a row period.

As for Naismith, time has passed and we all need to move on and look to the future. He hurt us, but it’s time for us to start winning on the pitch and not allowing a 34/35 Naismith to wreak havoc with our defence.

Edu took the small gamble of staying knowing we could never afford his wages, it paid off as he was handed a million pound payment to leave.

He wasn't the only American to receive that.

Time does slightly heal things and Naismith comes across well on that interview to be fair.

It was a horrible time and the vast majority of my ill feelings will always go towards Charles Green. The players took huge pay cuts and were lied to constantly.

The press conference Naismith and Whittaker took part in is what sets them apart obviously. It was ill advised and unnecessary. For many it will be unforgivable.

However as people above are saying, the likes of the American guys talking away with big pay offs doesn't ever get mentioned and they're always treated well by the Rangers support to this day.

There will be loads that went on that we don't know about.

One division or not, these guys were world superstars, the elite. Pirlo had no hesitation in staying. Naismith, Whittaker etc were never stars outside Scotland, so it's a reasonable link to make.

There's a another key difference. Juve would have still been able to match the wages of the best clubs in Italy, the rats that jumped from our ship will have gotten significantly better terms down south than what they were on when we were in the SPL.

One division or not, these guys were world superstars, the elite. Pirlo had no hesitation in staying. Naismith, Whittaker etc were never stars outside Scotland, so it's a reasonable link to make.
Pirlo was with AC Milan until 2011. He didn’t play for a Juve in Serie B.

Buffon, Chiellini, Nedved, Camoranesi, Del Piero and Trezeguet of the WC players were the only ones who stayed- on the same money and knowing it would be one season down. Ibra, Cannavaro, Vieira, Mutu, Emerson, Zambrotta and Thuram all left.

I think the situations were apples and pears mate. I don’t blame any of our players for leaving- Green was a crook who wanted them out the door and didn’t want to honour contracts. I’ll never forgive Naismith who I loved as a player or Whittaker for the press conference though.

Nobody had an issue with players leaving because of the circumstances. Attitudes towards McGregor and Davis etc prove that.

The difference is that little rat f*cking stuck the knife in and twisted it on his way out.

I detest the wee prick a result and wish nothing but bad luck for the rest of his career. Will never be welcome back to Ibrox as far as I’m concerned.

Pre 2012, Naismith epitomised why we dominated the mentally challengeds.

He was hungry, angry, ambitious and talented.

It’s why I don’t get upset being linked with genuine Scottish talent.

It’s a fight and desire that exists from knowing you’re part of something.

In simple personality types, he’s a leader. Annoying, irritating, hates to lose, but he’ll absolutely roll up his sleeves and try and dig the team out a hole.

I’m not sure who’s the modern day equivalent, but we need more of that character.

Only really Jack has that in our team, imo. The rest are soft in those departments.
I agree with you mate and looking through Scottish football I only really Lewis Ferguson is someone with a bit of talent and dig but that doesn’t mean he is good enough

I still can't get over why he thought that press conference was a good idea. Absolutely crazy and such a brutal kick in the balls from a former hero when we least needed it.

Has he explained himself anywhere? Or does he in that interview?
An agent who supported the abusers would have been at least a factor I’ll guess.

He did indeed. But that's not talked about on here as it's en vogue to hate Naismith and act like a wronged woman as opposed to Walter.
I’m almost positive Gough did also. It was a hard time which tbh I don’t really look back on now and have almost blanked every game of that period along with certain players. I just refuse to get angry about it anymore as nothing will change it

All he had to do was leave and he could have been welcomed back like others. But he got roped in by his w@nk of an agent.

Loved him, was one kick in the balls when one of your own does that. Whittaker takes the top spot though for not only doing the presser, acting the d1ck since and then decking his son out in the mentally challenged strip.

Nobody had an issue with players leaving because of the circumstances. Attitudes towards McGregor and Davis etc prove that.

The difference is that little rat f*cking stuck the knife in and twisted it on his way out.

I detest the wee prick a result and wish nothing but bad luck for the rest of his career. Will never be welcome back to Ibrox as far as I’m concerned.

That’s exactly where I was.

I have softened a little on Naismith as I think he at he least knows he did wrong. I would have taken him back under Pedro as I think he would have improved us then but I would never have felt the same about him.

I’m almost positive Gough did also. It was a hard time which tbh I don’t really look back on now and have almost blanked every game of that period along with certain players. I just refuse to get angry about it anymore as nothing will change it

Some matches and players I'm glad I don't remember... :D :D

I dread to imagine what you were like when 1D split, FFS! :rolleyes: :D
A rat so fu*k him.He made his bed so let him lie in it.Should have kept his trap shut not done the press conference and just left.Would have been better thought of.Like a few others who went.They done it the correct way.By the way 1D were pish.Take that split killed me.

A rat so fu*k him.He made his bed so let him lie in it.Should have kept his trap shut not done the press conference and just left.Would have been better thought of.Like a few others who went.They done it the correct way.By the way 1D were pish.Take that split killed me.

:D :D :D:D:D happy Thursday.

Pre 2012, Naismith epitomised why we dominated the mentally challengeds.

He was hungry, angry, ambitious and talented.

It’s why I don’t get upset being linked with genuine Scottish talent.

It’s a fight and desire that exists from knowing you’re part of something.

In simple personality types, he’s a leader. Annoying, irritating, hates to lose, but he’ll absolutely roll up his sleeves and try and dig the team out a hole.

I’m not sure who’s the modern day equivalent, but we need more of that character.

Only really Jack has that in our team, imo. The rest are soft in those departments.
That's why I would like us to sign Ferguson. He has all these qualities and it also better than people on here like to admit

You can retrospectively say the players were right to run out on the club but as poster above says at the time they did it there was no inclination that the new owners were crooks. Short memories for a lot of people. They were traitors in our eyes when they left and that was the broadly supported view. And if you say well they had a better position to judge it then what about the guys who did tupe over? Are they idiots or did they not have the same insight. Ultimately its in the past and cant be changed but the ones who left did so out of self interest and any other view of it like they were doing the right thing is revisionist and with the luxury of hindsight.

Simple , from the manager to the youngest signing those that " Tuped over " wouldnt have got a better contract anywhere else ........ its really that simple

Water under the bridge, and time for some
Fans to move on and stop acting like Young lads dumped at the school disco. It’s done , he was ill advised and regrets it. He is not coming back but he should have been back years ago as making us a stronger team is all i care about.

Last edited:
Very telling that I haven't had any responses to this.

Another question along a simliar vein would be who would you rather take an ear bashing off in the dressing room after a poor performance? Tav or Naismith.

Naismith might not be the player he was but he is still a catalyst. Having that type of player in the squad would be an assett.

I also felt he was more aiming a swipe at the appointed directors at the time than the club as a whole.

This Rangers team needs a spine of players who genuinely care about the club and it`s fans. Dare i say it but Brown is no world beater, a very avergae player, yet he is their catalyst. He makes their new signings instantly aware of what is expected and does the dirty work in the dressing room that the managers don`t need to.

If the way he left wasn't enough to convince you the guy is a scumbag (which I can't quite understand) then surely the way he played against us last season was enough to take any remaining doubt away? The guy is a fücking arsehole, being a good player doesn't absolve him of that.

Are people being real saying we should have brought him back when he was tarting himself about before signing for Hearts? The cünt has been injured for about 30-40 games of the last 2 seasons.

I don't blame any player for leaving as they were not needed in the lower divisions and would come out the other side wasted as a player. The press conference was completely unnecessary and a kick in the balls of every fan.

The debate on whether we should have took him back is pointless too as he is a cripple now and would have been a waste of time.

Back