Nathan Patterson - Start on Wednesday?

I think he’ll switch for Flannigan or Polster. Patterson did well, but if he was to have a mare and cost us points it would rock his confidence.

Barring the injury to Tav, being able to have these sort of discussions is very refreshing. Hopefully others in the youth can take confidence in Pattersons involvement and push on for their chance

I’d play polster from what I’ve seen he looks decent but not been given much of a chance as of yet

He hasn't played full back for months mate.

On the odd occasion he plays, it's in central midfield.

Gerrard clearly doesn't fancy him at full back.

Has to start on Wednesday,needs the experience of playing in spl and after Friday deserves his chance,Gerrard will protect him,if he feels he's not up to playing at tynecastle he won't play him

He had a good game against Stranraer and I would have liked to see him start, but I think Stevie G will go with experience and Flanagan.

While we weren't great against Stranraer. I though the boy fit well into our system as the direct replacement for Tav and he was unlucky not to score.

Flanagan just doesn't offer the same threat but I think against St Mirren, we can afford to play Paterson and see how he does against a better level of opposition than SL2

Tomorrow, yes. Game is 'safer' than Hearts away. Sunday.....not so sure! Although Flanagan is hardly a mouth watering prospect.

Why shouldn’t Patterson start? He’s came in and performed well. He gives us much more of an attacking threat than Flanagan would.

We need to be showing these young players they have a chance in first team if their good enough. Patterson clearly is. If we can’t start him and give him a run of games against St Boo at home and a very poor Hearts side then theres no chance of us fully progressing with youth players in future. This is the boys chance and he should be given it.

If your good enough you are old enough as they say, Going on what I've seen I think he should keep his place

Polster has never really had a chance to show his worth but if it is too risky to play him with what is at stake, I would play Patterson before Flanagan.

Actually, it might depend who he’s up against - i don’t know St Mirren well enough to comment. Patterson wasn’t so good in the air defensively on Wednesday almost missing a couple of headers but the rest of his game was solid

Did nothing to suggest he wouldn’t handle St Mirren, I’d play him as a run in the team will do him the world of good.

I'd like to see him start and see how he does defensively as he had no defending to do whatsoever on Friday. If he does okay keep him in.

Hopefully Patterson starts on Wednesday. Would be fair cause he played so well in the friendly in Dubai and in the cup game. Just got a feeling that Gerrard will go with the experience of Flanagan though

He has to start on Wednesday, has to.

If he does well, he starts on Sunday too. Unless folk don’t think one of our brightest youth prospects can hack it up against Hickey and some other jobber.

Very different options but for the balance of the team and with respect to Flanagan who I don’t think is as bad as some make out,Patterson is hopefully a big part of the future of the side also if he continues to develop at the current rate.

At risk of repeating myself but it’s a nice feeling to be really confident the current staff team will make the correct decision regardless.
We’re really lucky right now imo.

100% Patterson should start on Wednesday. Can assess again before the weekend but I wouldn't have any doubts about playing him then either.

He has to start on Wednesday. Brings balance to the team. Don’t get the same with Flanagan although far more experienced.

I'd play him, think he done enough on Friday to keep hold of the jersey

If Patterson does well against St Mirren then he should start against bottom of the league Hearts. He is the future, Flanagan is so limited and we have to change our whole system to accommodate him.

We are yet to really see what he's like defensively so I'm not getting carried away, the games are too important just now not to go with experience.

I do think Flanagan is a lot better than people give him credit for but if the young lad played well on Friday then he deserves to keep the jersey

What is all this Flannigan changes the way we play about?

I just don't see that. Not at all.

Not a comment on who should play - just seems to be all over any thread about him. Or is it fashionable to say it perhaps?

Attacking full backs are key to how we play. Flanagan isn’t an attacking full back.

I think Patterson deserves a start tomorrow night but I reckon the Gaffer will want to play Flanagan v Hearts so may start him v St Mirren to give him more game time.

Attacking full backs are key to how we play. Flanagan isn’t an attacking full back.
good point - it would be refreshing to see it and possibly if the manager was going to err on the side of caution with Flannagan the lads performance on Friday night might see SG give the youngster another run out. As a few have pointed out its the future.

When Flannigan played at LB teams let him have the ball and concentrated on doubling over against Tav.If Flannigan plays at RB the same will apply and teams will double over more easily against Barisic.Our whole system revolves around two attacking fullbacks .At Ibrox we will be on the front foot continually against almost every opponent,so it's now young Patterson's time for me

I don't trust Flannigans temperament at Tynecastle, so Nathan for both games for me

When Flannigan played at LB teams let him have the ball and concentrated on doubling over against Tav.If Flannigan plays at RB the same will apply and teams will double over more easily against Barisic.Our whole system revolves around two attacking fullbacks .At Ibrox we will be on the front foot continually against almost every opponent,so it's now young Patterson's time for me
Correct, apart from the spelling of Flanagan.

The way Jack covers on the right hand side as he does naturally for Tav will aid this too.

I have confidence in Pattersons ability and particularly his energy to get up and down the pitch.

Back