Nathan Patterson - Start on Wednesday?

What is all this Flannigan changes the way we play about?

I just don't see that. Not at all.

Not a comment on who should play - just seems to be all over any thread about him. Or is it fashionable to say it perhaps?

It's self evident that he's not comfortable as an attacking wingback. He's a right back. We play with wingbacks.

Patterson for me. As many will say the games are too important and must win. Playing Patterson allows us to play out normal game, Flanagan does not.

When Flannigan played at LB teams let him have the ball and concentrated on doubling over against Tav.If Flannigan plays at RB the same will apply and teams will double over more easily against Barisic.Our whole system revolves around two attacking fullbacks .At Ibrox we will be on the front foot continually against almost every opponent,so it's now young Patterson's time for me
Good post. Perhaps this is what we should be clear on.

Playing Flanagan changes the way the opposition plays against us limiting poor opportunities.
Attacking full backs are key to how we play. Flanagan isn’t an attacking full back.

When we play Flanagan teams alter the way they mark us which limits our attacking threats.

We play the same with Flano - it just makes us less effective. Same team though

Can't see why not.

Not too much of a risk against St Midden but a (small) step up from Stranraer.

Definitely give him the start tomorrow and see how he goes for the next one.

I wouldn't mind seeing him start. I would also hope that if he makes any mistakes as a young player he doesn't get the abuse some of our players get from the stands for a misplaced pass.

In the words of the manager...”He has the jersey”

He will need to be properly managed but I have full faith in the management team handling him.

I change my mind every time I think about it.
Good enough/old enough, keep the jersey all valid, but still have the nagging doubt that we can't take any chances.
Especially after getting ourselves in this position, double especially after how we started back last year.

He had a great debut and i dont see any reason for him not to start tomorrow

If he does and plays well then he will be in on Sunday too.

I like Flanno but i am all for using our own and promoting them (when good enough)

should start Wednesday night and if he has a good game then Saturday he should be no issue him stepping in again

I think he should start the next two games. It’s not like hearts have a star man on their left he would be up against, its hickey who imo isn’t that great right now.

Also what’s the point in having a promising youth system if we won’t use one of our most promising youths against two of the worst teams in the league

I'd start Flanagan to get him some game time and bring on Patterson 2nd half when we are 5-0 up.

Start I hope and I'd take the chance on him at Tynecastle too. Balance and I think he'll be able to handle it.

Really don’t rate Flanagan at all so I’m hoping Patterson starts.

It’s the only way to find out if he is ready or not.

After his debut I'd expect him to start, another good performance and start him against hearts. Looking forward to seeing how he fares

Sooner or later we need to start very promising young players in games, how else do they get experienced? FFS it’s St Boo not Liverpool.

I would like to see Patterson starting purely on the basis that it would be great to see our youth being trusted and given a chance.

That being said, if the Gaffer feels that Flanagan is the right choice for the team then I stand by him.

3 points are an absolute must.

I'd play Flanagan from the start and give him last 20/30 mins. St Mirren are a big step up from Stranraer

I'd play Flanagan from the start and give him last 20/30 mins. St Mirren are a big step up from Stranraer

Yep I agree with this, the next 3-5 games could be crucial to the season. We need experience from the off and the younger players phased into these games.

Look what the bheasts have done with ping pong - get the young lad in. St Mirren at home the perfect fixture for it. If we can’t play him in this new may as well move our brilliant dev squad on.

I would play Flanagan for his experience but admittedly he does not provide the attacking threat Patterson does. I think the Gaffer will go for experience imho.

I would like to see Patterson starting purely on the basis that it would be great to see our youth being trusted and given a chance.

That being said, if the Gaffer feels that Flanagan is the right choice for the team then I stand by him.

3 points are an absolute must.

Would always back the manager, especially the way Gerrard is going. Just maybe hoping he takes a leap of faith with this lad, I sense could be the making of him.

I think we need to be careful with our young players. He should start tomorrow in Tav’s absence, but he should not be thrust into the side in a similar manner that they did with Tierney. Their management of him now looks dreadful, brought through at 18, absolutely no challenge in the league, badly exposed in Europe, mhedia built him and as they did, he got a big money move and looked out his depth when he played. I suppose injuries can happen! I’d like to see Patterson come through steadily and by the time Tav moves on he’ll be ready to take his place.

I expect Flan to start.
He is a top RB just never had the chance given Tav has the jersey.

Give Flan an our tomorrow then play him again on Sunday.

Looking forward to how Stevie calls it, interesting decision.
I'd love to see Nathan get a start but wouldn't be a total surprise if he doesn't.

Back