Nathan Young Coombes to West Ham

Theknight

Do people actually know why he is leaving or just assuming it is because of first team chances?
There were a few suggestions early in the post that he's homesick, no idea if that's the case but I'd think it very unlikely it's due to chances of getting on the first team.

BrooklynBlue

None will play for us .wait and see they have total of about 90mins in pre season friendlies between them so don't think they will play for us in serious competition.
They will play if they illustrate they are good enough. That seems to be missing in all of your analysis about the youth set-up. You used McPake as an example. How did his time at Dundee go?

The players I mentioned are on a 'pathway', be it through loans and gradual introduction to the first team squad. It's during this when we find out how good they really are.

Too many are failing to concentrate on their football and surround themselves with good people/advice. It's easier to blame than it is to take responsibility.

For those not signing contracts, it'll be interesting to see where they go. The Rangers coaches have developed their careers to this point - maybe they should have a little more trust for the future.

Grant K

Is it possible he is slipping down the pecking order and is looking to move on. During the summer did we not sign a boy from Northern Ireland and another from ICT both around the same age and both strikers? Sorry can’t remember their names.

erskine bear

Is it possible he is slipping down the pecking order and is looking to move on. During the summer did we not sign a boy from Northern Ireland and another from ICT both around the same age and both strikers? Sorry can’t remember their names.
James Graham from County, Lindsay from NI is a Midfielder.

elfideldo

"Our youth players generally play a year or two up so it's more of a test.".

This is a bit of a myth, one or two exceptional players will be pushed on. Only one U16 player started a game in the Under 18 League, Leon King. Pretty sure in all the U18 games I attended the Rangers side were on average older than their opponents. Partly the reason for this is the size of Under 18 squad and most U18 games were "shooting fish" in a barrel.

Hearts had four U16's and an U15 in their lineup when they played us. Tims culled their 17's & 18's so as a consequence had three or four U16's playing every week. Even the aforementioned James Graham was one of two U16 players in the Ross County team for the youth cup tie. Rangers team that day was pretty much a 2nd choice side, but none of the 14 players used was an U16 player.

Graeme's dad

The concept of playing European teams has been very effective, we have had some good results in the YCL (Bratislava for example). Then there is games they've looked a class behind (Atletico). Nobody can say a player is ready based off youth team games.
Agreed, but therein lies our problem. How do we promote youth to the first team without seeing them in senior football? As we know the club was desperate to have a Colts team playing in senior football which was not accepted by the SPFL. Had we been able to, it would be far easier to gauge a players suitability for promotion. Loans is an obvious partial solution but then you are dependent upon the quality of the coaching at that club and that club's ambition. For a player going on loan to a club that is comfortable in mid table every season, then the winning mentality is not developed. No easy answers to getting into the Royal Blue jersey.

barcelonabear

I watch lots of the youth football up and down the country and Coombes is a rare breed now, proper crafty striker, scores goals, good in the air and getting bigger physically now too.

DadsArmy11

"Our youth players generally play a year or two up so it's more of a test.".

This is a bit of a myth, one or two exceptional players will be pushed on. Only one U16 player started a game in the Under 18 League, Leon King. Pretty sure in all the U18 games I attended the Rangers side were on average older than their opponents. Partly the reason for this is the size of Under 18 squad and most U18 games were "shooting fish" in a barrel.

Hearts had four U16's and an U15 in their lineup when they played us. Tims culled their 17's & 18's so as a consequence had three or four U16's playing every week. Even the aforementioned James Graham was one of two U16 players in the Ross County team for the youth cup tie. Rangers team that day was pretty much a 2nd choice side, but none of the 14 players used was an U16 player.
whats your take on signing boy from Blackpool?

elfideldo

whats your take on signing boy from Blackpool?
Don't know much about him, but it does seem like a bit of a coup. We did well to convince him to come up here at this time. As I have said on here we can't say when and where his next game will be. He is an 2003 so U18 (he is 17 in September), if NYC leaves it is one in and one out, still leaves U18 numbers around 28/29 players. I would imagine like NYC he probably won't play much at U18, so it would be what ever can be arranged for the Development squad.

DadsArmy11

Don't know much about him, but it does seem like a bit of a coup. We did well to convince him to come up here at this time. As I have said on here we can't say when and where his next game will be. He is an 2003 so U18 (he is 17 in September), if NYC leaves it is one in and one out, still leaves U18 numbers around 28/29 players. I would imagine like NYC he probably won't play much at U18, so it would be what ever can be arranged for the Development squad.
and then he leaves like the boy Coombes ?

HillsBill

His development can’t have stalled all that much if he is leaving SPL to join EPL. Sadly I think we are loosing another very good prospect here
So why did he leave Crystal Palace in 2017 and Chelsea a year or so later? It would seem he’s found it difficult to find a path there also. I’m not sure he has/had the stickability to be a real Rangers success.

karanja

No one on this board knows more about and watches Youth games like you do.So I'll ask the question.
Is there unrest within the Academy or have we as was suggested by the Manager "ego" issues ?.

elfideldo

No one on this board knows more about and watches Youth games like you do.So I'll ask the question.
Is there unrest within the Academy or have we as was suggested by the Manager "ego" issues ?.
I believe there is some unhappiness and it is about few different issues, whether that can be put down to "ego" I'm not so sure. If it was one or two individuals maybe, but it appears to be more than that.

CoopBlue

Nobody knows to be fair, but i'd be more inclined to say homesickness myself.
There's more chance of getting first team football up here, than west ham imo.
Agreed. Moving to an EPL club he is now even further away from even remotely getting near the first team. And he was nowhere near our first team.

He'll be back down with his family around him, will be at an EPL club, on more money and will know that he is miles from their first team, but feels more settled in himself.

I'd say it's a cracking move for the lad and ticks all his boxes.

Up to him now to work and develop in order to avoid being tossed on the scrapheap in a couple of years like so many others in football and sport in general at that age.

I hope he makes it though.

CoopBlue

If they are not good enough then in no way should or will SG be forced to be playing these young lads.

Could it simply be the case that SG and Beale etc have simply said that the quality within the academy is not up to it and they won't be getting a look in any time soon in terms of seriously being part of the first team squad ?

And for me, that's fair enough.

They have to earn the right by their talent and ability. We're not a charity set up to fulfill a quota.

Amstel

So why did he leave Crystal Palace in 2017 and Chelsea a year or so later? It would seem he’s found it difficult to find a path there also. I’m not sure he has/had the stickability to be a real Rangers success.
I’d say he left palace because Chelsea are a bigger club and it’s not worked for him, he then came to us and he’s now going back to a premiership club.

HillsBill

I’d say he left palace because Chelsea are a bigger club and it’s not worked for him, he then came to us and he’s now going back to a premiership club.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. A 17 year old at his 4th senior club already. So far 3 clubs haven't provided what he wanted. Surely all 3 can't be the problem?

Blue-Knows

Not sure what % of our turnover is in relation to the youth setup but would imagine it is pretty small - worth pursuing with. Not ideal if NYC decides to move on but if that's what he wants, so be it. Same with any other player that doesn't want to be here.

At the moment, the need to win the league (and the SC and LC) is the most important thing for the club, which nobody would argue with. If that needs to come at the expense of some youth players leaving because they feel they aren't getting a go at it, tough - in my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, there is not a single player in the youth squad anywhere near a starting position. SG is about to start his 3rd season as gaffer, his job will be on the line if we don't win the league (or at the very least take it down to the last game or two) and at least one of the cups.