Neil McCann

Aye but Rangers fans through their license fee are paying him , he qouldnt say this on RTV and there's better way to get a point across

Agree he could have made his point in a far more controlled manner, but I don’t think he deserves to be condemned to the degree he has been for a comment that I’d describe as misplaced and overly critical. Over many, many years, McCann has been a tremendous player for Rangers, a very decent pundit and commenter for Rangers and also a backer / supporter of Rangers. For some to suggest that he never goes on Rangers TV again, or is never welcome in our ground again, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. One ill-judged comment should not eradicate many years of positive Rangers contribution and endorsement.

Really sad to hear of the demise of Neil McCann,Don't think he'll ever be made welcome back at our ground ,a player who gave his all for our Jersey, and was well rewarded for his knowledge on gers TV, he's made his bed and now he can reflect on the stupidity of a brain farm moment,

A great story regarding Neil was when referee Bobby tait had a bit of a shocker at Ibrox ,going up the tunnel at H/T ,the east enclosure is giving him it tight, TAIT YA 19th Century Terrorist BASTARD!!! ,ect,ect .Bobby turns to Neil and says listen to that !,mcCann says don't listen to them Mr tait ,I get it all the time ,
Bobby says AYE BUT IM A FUCKING PRODDY B-D
I don't understand this.
Who was calling McCann a fénian bastard all the time?
Because the implication from that 'story' is that it was Rangers fans. I don't remember our fans ever calling him that.

I do recall a certain Hibs manager doing this at Ibrox and he escaped investigation by SMSM and avoided any action by the SFA.

rDfUHDy.jpg

I don't understand this.
Because the implication from that 'story' is that it was Rangers fans. I don't remember our fans ever calling him that.

Neil is well respected by the Rangers fans, long after his career at Ibrox finished. I don't know why and am genuinely surprised at his outburst towards Alfie. Very disappointing, tbh.

Agree he could have made his point in a far more controlled manner, but I don’t think he deserves to be condemned to the degree he has been for a comment that I’d describe as misplaced and overly critical. Over many, many years, McCann has been a tremendous player for Rangers, a very decent pundit and commenter for Rangers and also a backer / supporter of Rangers. For some to suggest that he never goes on Rangers TV again, or is never welcome in our ground again, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. One ill-judged comment should not eradicate many years of positive Rangers contribution and endorsement.
Totally agree , sometimes it’s hard to find the right words in the heat of the moment .

McCann is a good guy but he got that one wrong . He has slagged off Alfie a few times on rtv but has caveated that Alfie has scored way more goals for rangers than he has .

Last edited:
I think most of us would have called a Rangers player an idiot, or worse, for incidents were the’ve let us down, having a go at Morelos for celebrating and giving a bit back when he’s taken pelters was just bizarre from McCann, really.

It's not the use of the word 'idiot' that annoy me. It's the reasoning and the fact he spouted a load of shite to justify saying it, that bother me. He was wrong and he made out like Alfie was attempting to provoke the fans. Which was just fucking ludicrous.

Acts like he wasn't a bit hot headed himself. Also acts like he didn't join in the huddle at Parkhead, during one of the most hostile Old Firm games ever. Deserves the pelters for his comments tbh, they weren't justified. He's a dick.

I’m not sure McCann is on RangersTV any more. Same with Emma Dodds, Alan Hutton and Alex Rae. I’m struggling to recall when any of them were last on. We’ve done away with Emma and the team in the studio on matchday now. We moved to the Preview Show on a Friday night with Emma & Co for a wee while and then repeated parts of that for the Saturday/Sunday matches but even that died a death around the time of the World Cup break. I don’t think McCann has been on since then and I’m not sure there are any plans to bring any of them back.

Or has my memory failed me?

McCann was over the top with his comments but people wanting him to effectively lose his job over it is hysterical nonsense.

Nobody wants him to lose his job. Just want Rangers to have a bit of self respect and not bother paying or hiring a guy who thinks it's okay to slate one of our players on national radio, for no apparent reason. He's entitled to his opinion, however nonsensical it is, but we shouldn't reward it.

I think most of us would have called a Rangers player an idiot, or worse, for incidents were the’ve let us down, having a go at Morelos for celebrating and giving a bit back when he’s taken pelters was just bizarre from McCann, really.
All that motivates our support now seems to be utter hatred.

Boring after a while ( 6 tweets)

Don’t hear you piping up when Alfie is being racially abused by the away fans Neil. Footballers celebrate goals in all manners of ways- I am especially fond of the celebrations that noise up opposition fans
Do you know why he wouldn't?

What justifiable evidence is there? We all know it's happened, so lets not lie but idiots don't tend to film their idiot pals all too often.

If he said about it without drawing on any evidence, he'd probably end up needing to work in the middle east (albeit done Keys and Grays bank balance no harm)

I don't understand this.
We took McCann the player to our hearts he was loved by our support and I never once recall any reference made to his religion from our support

He got this one badly wrong and has now doubled down on it I think he owes Alfie an apology

Comment is shocking the guy is celebrating his goal in the normal way. I love players for us who wind up fans just as much as we hate opponents doing the same.

I’ve seen opposition players run the length of the pitch for years to antagonise whenever they score v us. Never a word said but now one of ours does it, it’s an issue?

Predictable but the source is a surprise. Neil is one of my favourites. May 99 at the Pigpen was one of the greatest days ever so he has a lot of credit in the bank but this is just really poor from him.

Following on from his comments on sportsound last night

Can see alot of backlash online suggesting he shouldnt do RTV again after that (which i personally agree with) and now an article has appeared online where he brings hearts and neil lennon into to try and get out of his comments.
Thoughts?

CUT IT OUT

Neil McCann fears Neil Lennon Celtic repeat as Rangers hero wins support for Alfredo Morelos ‘idiot’ take vs Hearts​

NEIL McCANN has urged Alfredo Morelos to show a bit of class and stop needlessly antagonising opposition supporters - before something untoward happens.

The Rangers hero was forthright in his opinions after Morelos slid to his knees in front of fuming Jambos fans after both his goals during the Ibrox side's 3-0 win at Tynecastle.

The second of these came after a lengthy VAR check - when it was thought that the Colombian's 'goal' had been disallowed for offside - like three OTHER Gers efforts on the night.

But the goal was duly given, leading McCann to brand the star an 'idiot' for celebrating in front of the opposing fans during the 3-0 away win.

Asked to clarify his comments after the match, McCann drew the comparison of the night then Celtic boss Neil Lennon found himself attacked by a pitch invader from the Hearts end during a clash at Tynecastle back in 2011.

The fan was jailed for eight months for a breach of the peace at the match and handed a five-year football banning order.

McCann said he wished that referee John Beaton had BOOKED Morelos on the first occasion - as it would have nipped his behaviour in the bud.

McCann told BBC Sportsound: "I don't know why he does it, I know he's the pantomime villain.

"But he reacted when he scored the first one, a really good header, textbook, going towards the back post, super cross from Barisic and a bullet header.

"Then he goes to that little corner, and I've said how good this ground is, how close the fans are, he goes to his knees and antagonises them. I said at the time I didn't like it.

"The second one because we're waiting so long, I'm thinking he has no reason [to do it again], he's not wheeling away from a backward header.

"He has no reason other than to antagonise the Hearts fans again. It's right into the corner of the section.

"He is running AWAY from his own fans.

"I have seen him do that at Fir Park, if you remember away back, when he picked up his second yellow and got sent off.

"I just don't know what goes through the boys' head.

"And I don't like it, I was maybe strong in my comments, maybe I shouldn't have said that [called him an idiot]."

At this point, he got support from Aberdeen and Scotland hero Willie Miller, who pointed to similar antics during the 3-2 come-from-behind win at Pittodrie recently.

He said: "Neil, you should have.

"He did it at Pittodrie too, Arfield scored the goal, and Arfield goes into the ball to get the ball, he takes the ball before Arfield gets it.

"Arfield burrows away and goes to celebrate with his team-mates and Morelos is winding up the Aberdeen fans in the Richard Donald stand."

McCann added: "We have been in football grounds and watched games when we've been castigating fans for throwing things onto the pitch.

"Rightly so they should never take place but if you are going to that area ...

"I remember in that Motherwell game I think there were lighters and everything thrown at him.

"It just boiled over and fans just lost control. There is NO excuse for it, it shouldn't still happen.

"But all it takes is a headcase at the side of the pitch to decide 'I've had enough of it'.

"You will remember Celtic here when the fan jumped the dugout and attacked Neil Lennon, all it takes is one fan to think 'I've had enough of that' and he's on then pitch and we've got a horror story.

"I would encourage him [Morelos] that you can have a bit of banter, a bit of to and fro with the fans, but don't run past your own fans to celebrate on your knees to the away support.

"It is inflammatory and totally uncalled for and I actually think John Beaton should have cautioned him, then that puts a lid on it.

"Then Barisic kicks the ball into the fans and gets cautioned for it

"There was a bit of an atmosphere between the fans and the Rangers players tonight and they didn't need to do it because I thought they were streets ahead on the pitch.
I remember thinking at the time whilst watching the highlights of the Aberdeen game, Curtis Main is giving it to them there, very little chatter about him!

He didn’t do an adebayor ffs.

Fans give players shit, happens everywhere,

Score a goal, shut them up. Move on.

What a fucking story about nothing McCann.

"I would encourage him [Morelos] that you can have a bit of banter, a bit of to and fro with the fans, but don't run past your own fans to celebrate on your knees to the away support.

What a crock of sh*t Morelos doesn't get banter from opposing fans, punters, media and national toilet newspaper reporters, he has been getting abused since he got here!

I was listening not realising it was him and he retracted it and said idiot was a bit harsh. At the time I was in the car saying prick as was on mw so hardly clarity to the ear but I was surprised when I found out it was him.

Poor from him tbh.

Hopefully the word is that he’s no longer welcome and can get himself to %^*&.

Who needs enemies. Hate some of our ex players.
Have you seen some of the vitriol handed out on here to players, managers, coaches and board members? Take a look at any match day thread, or take a look at 90% of threads following a draw or defeat. McCann said something in the heat of the moment that seems to have been blown out of all proportion and for some appears to have wiped all the positive stuff he's said about us over the years. It's a bit ridiculous really. Apart from that, I'd suggest Morelos' biggest critic in the media is our own Ally McCoist.

Really disappointed in Neil for this.

Honestly just half the shit Alfie has to put up with in Scotland would make even a reserved character like Neil crumble.
Totally agree.

Load of grandstanding bollocks from McCann to make him look like one the media fan boys.

Lego muncher, TLB, Boruc have all properly antagonised our fans, nothing said and I couldn't care less.

Every player who scores at Ibrox will give the fans a bit of stick, nothing said and on that point rightly so but god forbid should Alfie give opposition fans a bit, oh aye, ehhhm...a knee slide and a shhh.

Chase yourself McCann, ya clown. Who needs enemies when you have your own.

There was no need for it.

Not really sure what McCann was trying to achieve but he’s undoubtedly burned bridges with a lot of folks here.

I hope he calls out everyone that does what Alfie done in games he’s involved with, there will be plenty of opportunities. I guess that means there are lots of idiots in the Scottish game.

Well done Neil.

So disappointed in Neil McCann, I thought he had more sense than the likes of Derek Ferguson, who has come out with the same shit. :(

Neil is well respected by the Rangers fans, long after his career at Ibrox finished. I don't know why and am genuinely surprised at his outburst towards Alfie. Very disappointing, tbh.
To be devil’s advocate, Morelos isn’t Rangers. So, criticising him - even harshly- isn’t a criticism of Rangers FC.

Maybe he was pissed off because he’s aware that Scottish refs are keen to punish Morelos at the quickest opportunity. Maybe he was worried that Alfie’s actions could impact the team.

McCann was over the top with his comments but people wanting him to effectively lose his job over it is hysterical nonsense.
Nobody should have free rein to be calling one of our players an idiot like that on national radio never mind someone who works on RTV.

I would be perfectly happy if we don’t see him on again. Pandering to the Rangers haters he was sharing a studio with.

I actually think there is an agenda to get rid of Morelos from the press up here. They fear him. This is just a long list of racial hatred in my opinion. I’m annoyed this has come from McCann but not mega surprised. His pay masters at the Bbc have history of this nonsense and have gave it tight to Alfie all slong. This is the difference between ex-rangers players and their cheerleaders. You’d never get sutton or hartson criticising one of their players, whereas ours try to be balanced and in doing do alienate Rangers fans in the process.

I honestly think McCann should apologise, he wont he’ll be told to double fown to create nore pressure on refs to book morelos. Svotland is a backward little shit hole, would eat itself alive. So let me ask you Neil how should someone celebrate then after being called a fat bastard for the whole game? What is appropriate?

Back