Newcastle tell fans to stop dressing up as Saudis

The comparison with kilt wearing is quite interesting. All this outrage about cultural appropriation seems to have only become a thing in the UK in the last 5 years or so. 10+ years ago you would see people wearing clothing from different cultures and nobody would bat an eyelid. It seems to be a thing copied from the USA.

Wearing a kilt is a tradition from the Highlands of Scotland, so presumably if anyone who does not have links to the Highland wears a kilt they are also carrying out racist and offensive cultural appropriation?

By that logic if a Lowland Scot wears a kilt they are a racist for appropriating Highlander culture?

There are lots of Scottish nationalists who are not actually Scottish and they wear kilts sometimes, are they are actually being racist and offensive for practicing cultural appropriation?

I'm sure I read on here that Terry Butcher was pictured in a kilt when he signed and there were people who complained.

Cultural appropriation is something I can't get my head around, but like all "offensive" things, they aren't new and if you really wanted to kick up a stink about something, you could.

Give it a few weeks and they will ask fans to refrain from drinking alcohol near or at the ground.
Then females will be requested to stay in the house and not attend games

It was only a wee bit of humour and to acknowledge their new owners for a week or so.

The kilt as it exists today was invented by an Englishman from Lancashire lol. Scottish highlanders wore a ‘plaid’.

And then Mel Gibson created the idea that all 13th century Scotsmen (well the lowlanders anyway) looked like they were members of a mid 70s heavy metal rock band.

:)

PS I’ll admit I stole the line. :cool:

I was in a discussion about Cultural
Appropriation in work yesterday.. utter minefield. We had an Asian person being offended on behalf of a Black person, who wasn’t offended by the girl Jesy being accused of blackfishing.

The latter was laughing, saying he was happy she had a nice holiday and got a tan; the former frothing about how she was profiteering from it.
This is how spree shootings are explainable.

Halloween will be fun this years.
I wouldn’t want to offend any vampires, mummy’s, or Squid game fans.

White people offended on behalf of ethnic groups.

Most Muslims/Asians in the UK and those from Saudi Arabia are laughing and enjoying it from what I’ve seen on twitter.

It’s like seeing Saudis dressing up in kilts if a Scottish owner took over a club there. We’d all be laughing too.
Absolutely spot on m8!

Seen a lot worse.
gn20.png

Cultural misappropriation is one of the biggest myths of the “woke” you’re not allowed to celebrate another culture by dressing in a traditional manner of another culture or styling your hair in a certain way etc… because you’re white and it tends to be white people digging you up for it as if they need white people to protect their culture! Why can’t anyone chose to celebrate another culture? Is this not a good thing? How many get offended when non Scots ware a kilt! It’s the very definition of racism!

Most logical and non hysterical people would realise this is in no way meant to offend . Finding offense when none is intended is silly and can undermine when actual offense is caused or meant. In general people can be more careful about what they say or do but the easily offended need to have some resilience.

Most logical and non hysterical people would realise this is in no way meant to offend . Finding offense when none is intended is silly and can undermine when actual offense is caused or meant. In general people can be more careful about what they say or do but the easily offended need to have some resilience.
The problem is elites pandering to the morons.

They won’t be banning anyone who wears it. Just covering their arse incase some tosser decides to cry racism

That was my first thought. They’re not wanting to spoil the fun, just pre-empting the inevitable cries of culture appropriation from the usual tree huggers that thrive on this sort of thing.

Back