Not facing yellow cards is the massive edge they have over Scottish football

monkey magic

And this was shown again yesterday. Any team that walks onto the pitch knowing that they'll rarely be booked, especially early doors, holds a very real advantage over other sides. Its been posted on here on numerous occasions the foul to yellow card ratio stats for Celtc, and its beyond ridiculous. They could easily have been on 2 or even 3 yellow cards in the first 45 minutes alone, which would have put a completely different complexion on the game. To be allowed to foul with impunity when your opponents approach your goal is a luxury that no other team shares in Scottish football.

Good points. It's alright looking at our own failings and criticising where we have went wrong this season, but stuff like this is still valid.

After another one of their fouls yesterday my dad turned and said, you just know the first player booked will be a Rangers one. And lo and behold that was the case.

Good points. It's alright looking at our own failings and criticising where we have went wrong this season, but stuff like this is still valid.

After another one of their fouls yesterday my dad turned and said, you just know the first player booked will be a Rangers one. And lo and behold that was the case.
my feelings after 10 mins was that the first yellow would come our way.

Yes, agree.

They can press and not have to worry about a mistimed tackle.

It also means when you manage to play through the press, a wee niggly foul grinds your attack to a halt and they get to regroup.

It's little wonder they have so many fouls to yellows ratio if Collum yesterday was an indication of what they get away with on a weekly basis.

They had 10 fouls in the first half, we had 2.

0 yellows for them, 1 for us. Divided opinion about whether it was even a foul, never mind a yellow for JL.

Anyone denying that’s a significant advantage is clueless, a tim, or both.

We can sort our own issues out, and I strongly believe that needs to happen regardless of the standard of refereeing. But without a better standard and more importantly, VAR, we’re going to be up against it most weeks.

It’s not unreasonable to want the refereeing sideshow ended.

We as Rangers fans try to avoid the excuse making we associate with them (and the rest of Scottish football) but you are correct, it is valid to point this out.

There has been a plethora of wrong decisions going for them or against us this season, and that’s before you look at things like fouls to card stats. The fact that they are only 6 points clear with all that on their side shows that they are not a good side. If a fraction of those decisions (offside goal v Hearts, winners in phantom injury time, lack of penalties for shirt pulls v us) went the other way then we would be at 2010/11 levels of refereeing hysteria.

Having said that, we should still be winning this title.

The idea games have to be refereed different annoys the actual f*ck out of me

I watched the game back and Walker and McCoist are saying they are OK with fouls in the game because it is a derby, that is f*cking dumb, because then you get a situation like, this,

Starfelt making 4 or 5 fouls, a couple are "tactical" a couple because he is getting roasted and then all of a sudden a ref decides to book Lundstram for putting a tackle that is utterly in the context of what challenges have looked like

It's pish, utter, utter pish

You can't just decide how to ref games because it removes the idea you are doing it correctly.

The idea games have to be refereed different annoys the actual f*ck out of me

I watched the game back and Walker and McCoist are saying they are OK with fouls in the game because it is a derby, that is f*cking dumb, because then you get a situation like, this,

Starfelt making 4 or 5 fouls, a couple are "tactical" a couple because he is getting roasted and then all of a sudden a ref decides to book Lundstram for putting a tackle that is utterly in the context of what challenges have looked like

It's pish, utter, utter pish

You can't just decide how to ref games because it removes the idea you are doing it correctly.
slightly hypocritical considering your response to an earlier post of mine :D

The cards allow them to manipulate the game without making it obvious to people outside the country.

They all do it as its a safe way to referee.

If our manager loses/draws and moans about it folk say its excuses, win and they say well what you greetin over a yella for when you won fs.

It happened yesterday.

It happens pretty much every week and its going to keep happening as this style of refereeing results in positive media coverage.

If you think we are ever going to the piggery and using rugby league/tactical fouls to slow them down without getting cards in the first half of the match, then im afraid you are a fool.

Totally agree, however we don’t help ourselves. I can’t remember any one of our players getting in the refs face about it. Just happy to accept whatever the ref dishes out.

Not one of our players complain or try and influence the ref that would be my gripe about it. Happy to accept the refs decision.

I watched the lady's front bottom Mcgregor stroll about the park holding on the ball after a few decisions, not letting the game restart until he had his say to the ref. We don’t do that - we throw our hands up and say poor us.

They're refereed far more leniently than anyone else in the country I think that's glaringly obvious and has been for a while it's just very difficult to get too worked up about it when our own failings are so massive at the moment.

The repeated cynical first-half fouls from Celtc were a deliberate tactic, as they knew Collum would do nothing. They would never be allowed the same leeway in Europe. Tbf, every other club in the League faces the same problem. That a Rangers player was booked first yesterday said it all, tbh.

Also no added time what so ever in the first half despite three goals being scored?
And just 5 minutes in the second despite a full compliment of substitutes and them falling down like flies for the last half hour.

We never get the time back for opponents cheating.

The repeated cynical first-half fouls from Celtc were a deliberate tactic, as they knew Collum would do nothing. They would never be allowed the same leeway in Europe. Tbf, every other club in the League faces the same problem. That a Rangers player was booked first yesterday said it all, tbh.

I think that is clear by how shite they are in Europe.

Also may explain why we seem to fair better in Europe.

We don't do the dirty side of the game well.

For all of my time watching Rangers we have never ever spoken out against bad and at times corrupt referees. Collum yesterday was another example. If the club continues to do and say nothing I now feel ‘he’ll mend them’. They need to take action right now and do so publicly.

At last people prepared to talk about how our team is simply being refereed to a different standard without having to justify the actual team performance.
There is a few GIFs posted on another thread that highlight how yesterday's officials impacted the game
2 clear penalties which would have seen them down to 10men
Throw ins where 1 team can walk beyond where the ball went out of play by 15 yards & being allowed to take the throw in from to another team being told to move back when at most had moved a yard beyond where the ball went out of play
Some small examples, some major examples but all add up to how the game in general was being controlled in the favour of 1 team by the officials

Do you honestly believe the Bheasts would accept yesterday's officiating had it basically ended their title challenge - NOT A CHANCE
But here we are again as a club sitting in dignified silence

Instead of making ridiculous Old Firm signage money would be better spent highlighting decisions for each & every game we play where officiating has impacted the game both positive & negative
This could & should be done for EVERY single game
Let's get that information out there in some format with even the club publishing stats on things like booking etc
We can't continue down the road we are on

0 yellows for them, 1 for us. Divided opinion about whether it was even a foul, never mind a yellow for JL.

We can sort our own issues out, and I strongly believe that needs to happen regardless of the standard of refereeing. But without a better standard and more importantly, VAR, we’re going to be up against it most weeks.

over 3/4 of celtics yellow cards in domestic football come in the last quarter of games, and usually when the game is done.

the stats regarding fouls and yellow cards is also misleading as a number of yellow cards they have received have been for over celebrating goals. Their foul count per card is higher than it appears.

At last people prepared to talk about how our team is simply being refereed to a different standard without having to justify the actual team performance.
There is a few GIFs posted on another thread that highlight how yesterday's officials impacted the game
2 clear penalties which would have seen them down to 10men
Throw ins where 1 team can walk beyond where the ball went out of play by 15 yards & being allowed to take the throw in from to another team being told to move back when at most had moved a yard beyond where the ball went out of play
Some small examples, some major examples but all add up to how the game in general was being controlled in the favour of 1 team by the officials

Do you honestly believe the Bheasts would accept yesterday's officiating had it basically ended their title challenge - NOT A CHANCE
But here we are again as a club sitting in dignified silence

Instead of making ridiculous Old Firm signage money would be better spent highlighting decisions for each & every game we play where officiating has impacted the game both positive & negative
This could & should be done for EVERY single game
Let's get that information out there in some format with even the club publishing stats on things like booking etc
We can't continue down the road we are on
It means %^*& all if it’s on a forum.

Celtic average over ten fouls per yellow card - absolutely imperative to how they play - and nobody at the club seems to care.

It's not really TBH multiple things can be true, the bigger issue at the moment is a gash coach rather than gash refs
Gash refs not doing their jobs in games is leading people to believe we have a gash coach. One thing leads to the other.

Gio came in and won every game up til the winter break shenanigans. After the break is when the game changing decisions in some of our games happened.

Aberdeen - The Clancy and Brown show
Dundee Utd - Madden snd his refusal to give 2 stonewall penalties
Motherwell - Connor the eagle eyed Lino chopping off 2 goals.

Theres a 6 point swing right there.

Yesterday the team undoubtedly let us down after taking the lead. However that doesnt excuse Collum refusing to book Any of their players, Starfish especially. Id even go as far as the 2nd goal for them was a barge by him on Balogun.

A european ref would have seen 4 or 5 bookings for them by HT.

Rangers have to publicly question this statistic at some point. Ideally after a win against them if possible.

It can’t be allowed to continue next season.

Gash refs not doing their jobs in games is leading people to believe we have a gash coach. One thing leads to the other.

Gio came in and won every game up til the winter break shenanigans. After the break is when the game changing decisions in some of our games happened.

Aberdeen - The Clancy and Brown show
Dundee Utd - Madden snd his refusal to give 2 stonewall penalties
Motherwell - Connor the eagle eyed Lino chopping off 2 goals.

Theres a 6 point swing right there.

Yesterday the team undoubtedly let us down after taking the lead. However that doesnt excuse Collum refusing to book Any of their players, Starfish especially. Id even go as far as the 2nd goal for them was a barge by him on Balogun.

A european ref would have seen 4 or 5 bookings for them by HT.

I think Gio is a gash coach based on performances we have won as well TBH

And this was shown again yesterday. Any team that walks onto the pitch knowing that they'll rarely be booked, especially early doors, holds a very real advantage over other sides. Its been posted on here on numerous occasions the foul to yellow card ratio stats for Celtc, and its beyond ridiculous. They could easily have been on 2 or even 3 yellow cards in the first 45 minutes alone, which would have put a completely different complexion on the game. To be allowed to foul with impunity when your opponents approach your goal is a luxury that no other team shares in Scottish football.
They got 4 booked to our 1..

It was mental they got through the first 45 with no bookings but presumably collum covered himself with the two pointless bookings with 10 mins to go so the stats didnt look ridiculous.
That's exactly what they do, especially him and Clancy. They wait for the last 10 or so mins to start handing them bookings, keeps any conspiracies at bay.

After Starfelts third foul (a push on Roofe so blatant, it was almost laughable), I turned to Dave Jr and said to him "First yellow will be for a Rangers player first foul".

Lo and behold .......
I had £20 on Starfelt @16/1 first booking he committed 5 of their first half 10 fouls, 2 of the fouls would have been yellows to any other teams player

Last edited:

Of course we all want it sorted and no team will benefit more from var than we will but when people lead with the refs as our main issue rather than our gutless players and manager that’s what I really don’t understand.

This is the issue that VAR won’t fix. They will still have their placemen referees but at least they won’t (hopefully) get away with the 2 penalties we should have had.

It was a classic from the ref. Book 1 our players first. Allow them to foul non stop before finally booking some into 2nd half.

Then the classic late bookings for celtic players to make it look like there treated more harshly.
It’s as transparent as a pane of crystal glass.

This is the issue that VAR won’t fix. They will still have their placemen referees but at least they won’t (hopefully) get away with the 2 penalties we should have had.
Easy Stu. Timmy directors at Sky can easily put paid to stonewall penalties.

Back