Not facing yellow cards is the massive edge they have over Scottish football

They have got it down to a t and the fouls never amount to a yellow as they are mostly innocuous.

It doesn’t help that we take a life time to get the ball under control and launch a counter attack.

And this was shown again yesterday. Any team that walks onto the pitch knowing that they'll rarely be booked, especially early doors, holds a very real advantage over other sides. Its been posted on here on numerous occasions the foul to yellow card ratio stats for Celtc, and its beyond ridiculous. They could easily have been on 2 or even 3 yellow cards in the first 45 minutes alone, which would have put a completely different complexion on the game. To be allowed to foul with impunity when your opponents approach your goal is a luxury that no other team shares in Scottish football.
Of course it is you can break play up with no negative affect on your discipline,we should follow suit what a horrible game it will be but the Official will have book everyone or not do anything .

They had 10 fouls in the first half, we had 2.

0 yellows for them, 1 for us. Divided opinion about whether it was even a foul, never mind a yellow for JL.

Anyone denying that’s a significant advantage is clueless, a tim, or both.

We can sort our own issues out, and I strongly believe that needs to happen regardless of the standard of refereeing. But without a better standard and more importantly, VAR, we’re going to be up against it most weeks.

It’s not unreasonable to want the refereeing sideshow ended.
The fact that the majority of them was Starfelt was absurd.. game after game after game he gets about 6 really bad fouls
The recent Hibs game being an example
He had 3 yellow card challenges unpunished
Took a season ending foul on Nisbit for the card to come out.
Never mind Celtics foul ratio
Be interesting to see what Starfelt foul to card ratio is

There were a few occasions where we were on the break and they fouled us. One early on where Jota brought Bassey down - no booking. Hatate done the same - no booking.

Starfelt was allowed to foul his way through the game with Collum turning a blind eye.

Carter-Vickers would've been off had Collum given either penalty.

Of course we all want it sorted and no team will benefit more from var than we will but when people lead with the refs as our main issue rather than our gutless players and manager that’s what I really don’t understand.
I don't think he was just blaming the officials but I get your point, also tbf it must be extremely disheartening as a player when the refs are consistently being pish/cheats whatever you want to call it.

Imagine in your own work if you started doing a great piece of work and then someone just kept putting it in the bin, would get to you after a while.

There is absolutely no point crying about it

They killed all transition opportunities. Thats their right. Thats what their referee clearly viewed as permitted conduct

We on the other hand refused 3 times to do the same in the space of 10 seconds and lost a pathetic meek equaliser.

You cannot cry about it whilst refusing yourself to engage in game winning tactics.

Pathetic from us. Pathetic. What do we work on ? What do we plan for and study ?

The linesman seemed to have x-ray vision and could spot a rangers player that was a pube offside. That seemed to diminish when a bheast player was yards offside running through though.
Also handballs and shirts being ripped off players backs in the box aren't penalties if it's in the scums box . The rules of the game don't apply when it comes to that bheast scum.

There were a few occasions where we were on the break and they fouled us. One early on where Jota brought Bassey down - no booking. Hatate done the same - no booking.

Starfelt was allowed to foul his way through the game with Collum turning a blind eye.

Carter-Vickers would've been off had Collum given either penalty.
Mcgregor done the same aswell, put his hands up like it was a accident, still nothing. Then the ref is standing behind him talking to him.

Good points. It's alright looking at our own failings and criticising where we have went wrong this season, but stuff like this is still valid.

After another one of their fouls yesterday my dad turned and said, you just know the first player booked will be a Rangers one. And lo and behold that was the case.
I made the exact same comment as your Dad on the match thread.
10 minutes later Lundstram booked!

I really think OP makes a great point.
It seems a small thing but the cynical fouling, without being penalized, is a HUGE advantage.
But although i hate to say it, credit to them because they know it, they do it and exploit it well.
Our team are too passive, not cynical enough (Mcagregor should have been fouled by Lundstram or Bassey at 1st goal) but we dont play that way.
Part of it… i think is fear of we WILL be booked.

And I also think this is one reason Alfie plays much better in Europe. He is refereed fairly and can play more like his old physical self.

They killed all transition opportunities. Thats their right. Thats what their referee clearly viewed as permitted conduct

We on the other hand refused 3 times to do the same and lost a pathetic meek equaliser.

You cannot cry about it whilst refusing to engage in game winning tactics.

Pathetic from us. Pathetic.
This must be a joke?

You think the ref would have let Rangers players get away with the same stuff as celtic players?

And this was shown again yesterday. Any team that walks onto the pitch knowing that they'll rarely be booked, especially early doors, holds a very real advantage over other sides. Its been posted on here on numerous occasions the foul to yellow card ratio stats for Celtc, and its beyond ridiculous. They could easily have been on 2 or even 3 yellow cards in the first 45 minutes alone, which would have put a completely different complexion on the game. To be allowed to foul with impunity when your opponents approach your goal is a luxury that no other team shares in Scottish football.

I was screaming for this yet Super and Walker said the ref was having a fine match by not booking anyone

This must be a joke?

You think the ref would have let Rangers players get away with the same stuff as celtic players?
All Bassey (twice) or Lundstram had to do was bounce their arse off them concede a foul.

Why not do it and find out at 1 nil up ?

The first chance was in the centre circle when Celtic had a 3 on 3 but not started running at us yet.

Why are you complaining to me that Rangers didnt play to win a football match and feel all sorry for themselves at being out physicalled / dark arts ?

Of course we all want it sorted and no team will benefit more from var than we will but when people lead with the refs as our main issue rather than our gutless players and manager that’s what I really don’t understand.

But we shouldn't have to play at our very best every week in order to win...no team does that.

We can play poorly and still be done by the refs, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

- Dundee Utd we were denied 2 stonewall pens.
- Motherwell denied offside goals that were on
- Celtic denied 1/2 pens yesterday (would've resulted in a red card as well)

They are massive game changing decisions that ultimately cost us points when we weren't playing at our best.

When Celtic haven't been at their best the refs have bailed them out. Dundee Utd were denied a stonewall pen at Parkhead, as were Livi (in the same game Kyogo got a pen for %^*& all in the last minute). Motherwell have been denied penalties home & away against them. Dundee the same. Add that to the penalties they have got such as St Mirren the other week or the offside goals they've scored that've stood.

They did, when the game was all but done. Why did Collum not book any of them for repeated fouling in the first half. ?
Lundstram was booked for his 2nd foul on 41 minutes (Rangers 4th foul).

By this time Celtic had already committed 8 fouls, 3 of them by Starfelt.

Starfelt committed another foul on 53 minutes, no card.

The ref finally brought the cards out for them on the 64th, 65th, 82nd and 88th minutes.

Walker on commentary said something like "It's good the referee is handling the match without flashing cards for every foul" this was after Lundstram committed Rangers first foul of the game (20th min), Celtic had already committed four infringements by then. McCoist agreed with Walker.

All Bassey (twice) or Lundstram had to do was bounce their arse off them concede a foul.

The first chance was in the centre circle when Celtic had a 3 on 3 but not started running at us yet.

Why are you complaining to me that Rangers didnt play to win a football match and feel all sorry for themselves at being out physicalled / dark arts ?
Beyond delusional.

This must be a joke?

Do you honestly think the ref would have repeatedly booked our players but not their players for the same offences? Especially at Ibrox.

0 yellows for them, 1 for us. Divided opinion about whether it was even a foul, never mind a yellow for JL.

We can sort our own issues out, and I strongly believe that needs to happen regardless of the standard of refereeing. But without a better standard and more importantly, VAR, we’re going to be up against it most weeks.

It will go on until our board challenges it , their board are forever publicly shouting about how bad the refs are against them but we know that's just a smokescreen as they get more decisions going there way than anyone else.

Beyond delusional.
Could you elaborate ?

Rangers didnt turn down the opportunity 3 times to remain 1-0 ahead by bouncing their arse off a Celtic player giving away a nothing free kick ?

You can only point to booking discrepancies if you actually challenge someone in the same manner. We absolutely did not, at any point. Critically at that goal.

Last edited:

That’s the thing though. VAR doesn’t sort that out.

We on the other hand refused 3 times to do the same in the space of 10 seconds and lost a pathetic meek equaliser.

You cannot cry about it whilst refusing yourself to engage in game winning tactics.

Pathetic from us. Pathetic. What do we work on ? What do we plan for and study ?
We're far too nice. Bassey has to foul McGregor. And our players never have a word with the referee, we meekly accept fouls and no yellows, time wasting, etc.

VAR (in theory at least) gives us 2 penalties and Celtic a red card.
Probably gives them a penalty as well. Mcgregor did make contact with him.

But I’d take the 2:1 odds.

That said, the yellow card thing is an issue but not easy to fix. Maybe the board could build bridges

Here’s the instance I posted in another thread.
6 minutes apart and the throw ins are refereed to a different standard.
Timmy allowed to walk forward almost 14 yards, officials insistent we stay where the ball went out.
Which one of these throw ins is in a threatening area?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Very good point, particularly with the way they play. All bombing forward, when they lose possession in opponent half first thing they do is foul. Never get yellows as it’s not in a threatening position, it’s a clear tactic of theirs and they get away with it. It’s cheating, and is always missed by our sh*t refs.

Here’s the instance I posted in another thread.
6 minutes apart and the throw ins are referred to a different standard.
Timmy allowed to walk forward almost 14 yards, officials insistent we stay where the ball went out.
Which one of these throw ins is in a threatening area?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The inconsistency is simple and staggering.

This is why we need professional refs. They should be sitting down today and analysing their mistakes.

I don't care if Celtc use the dark arts, mate. Collum, however, knew what they were doing and did nothing to stop it. Persistent fouling and professional fouls are yellow cards. That Starfelt committed at least double figure fouls, and wasn't booked is just embarrassing for Scottish football.

We as Rangers fans try to avoid the excuse making we associate with them (and the rest of Scottish football) but you are correct, it is valid to point this out.

There has been a plethora of wrong decisions going for them or against us this season, and that’s before you look at things like fouls to card stats. The fact that they are only 6 points clear with all that on their side shows that they are not a good side. If a fraction of those decisions (offside goal v Hearts, winners in phantom injury time, lack of penalties for shirt pulls v us) went the other way then we would be at 2010/11 levels of refereeing hysteria.

Having said that, we should still be winning this title.
I think so long as we accept and highlight our own shortcomings and failures first and foremost, we are quite entitled to bring up refereeing performances.
The handball we hoped for might have been fifty-fifty but, the shirt tugging is a stonewaller and denied us a great opportunity.
The bookings one is impossible to comprehend and the lack of injury time I both halves, bizarre.

We ended the 1st half with one yellow, they had zero. I think I got every foul from that 1st half.

There’s an HD button on the little gear icon in this video for better resolution.

No ref would allow us just to repeatedly foul Celtc players heading towards our goal. We would have had 2 or even 3 booked in that first half alone yesterday.

Absolutely no doubting @Edweird

Collum gave them as much as he could.

But our refusal to engage, physically and kill the game when it was in our control to do so, killed us whether hes bent or not.

It’s a very sinister development and an extremely valid point. This can and does effect the outcome of games despite folk on this forum denouncing the statistics to back this up as defeatist rubbish. For example Starfelt should have been cautioned for persistent fouling within the first half hour.

It’s a very sinister development and an extremely valid point. This can and does effect the outcome of games despite folk on this forum denouncing the statistics to back this up as defeatist rubbish. For example Starfelt should have been cautioned for persistent fouling within the first half hour.
Absolutely correct 100%

Which then effects what he does next.

I will keep my Rangers not being cynical rants for elsewhere.

As a fundamental Collum was Clanyesque at points yesterday which I found shocking.

His linesmen also looked on message.

Absolutely no doubting @Edweird

Collum gave them as much as he could.

But our refusal to engage, physically and kill the game when it was in our control to do so, killed us whether hes bent or not.
But how do we do that?

In games where we do get aggressive the cards start flying. Literally every foul we give away during any game I expect a booking.

You look at us, you look at them and then you look at the yellow card stats. It would suggest we are almost twice as physical.

Twice yesterday we broke after their attack broke down on the right side of the field.
McGregor booted Tav up in the air and Tav barely blinked and eye. Soon after Taylor lunged across Kent thigh high to stop an attack. Both stick on, 110% yellow cards. Nothing given and they can be as aggressive as they want Going forward.

If given free reign to kick the opposition any time there’s a transitional attack you can win a lot of games. We don’t have that luxury and will never be anywhere close until the club calls it out.

You can also cut out goals at cross balls if you are allowed to hold the opposition at every set piece. There literally hasn’t been any set pieces in any Celtic games I’ve seen where Vickers doesn’t have a hold of the opposing players’ shirts. Gets away with it multiple times in every game and every instance should be a foul.

I watch a lot of their games. If I don’t how can I compare? They get away with this stuff constantly. Ralstons tackle was no different from the tackle Ross County got a straight red for or if we look back, Jordan Jones red card vs them in the late stages of a game.

To add to that, ANY time they have a red card when playing us there’s a media circus afterward where they even discuss the SPEED of the decision.

The easy life for the refs is to ignore them and hope they win.

Last edited:

Celtc on 2 or 3 yellows with a full second half to play could have seen a very different outcome after 90 minutes. As I posted earlier, its how they play every game in Scotland. If their goal is threatened, just cynically stop the opponent in his tracks, and a yellow is rarely issued. My problem is that the entire stadium saw that happen again yesterday in the first 45 minutes, apart from Collum. It is cheating, nothing less. They have a massive advantage over every club in Scotland when allowed to foul with impunity.

Probably gives them a penalty as well. Mcgregor did make contact with him.

But I’d take the 2:1 odds.

That said, the yellow card thing is an issue but not easy to fix. Maybe the board could build bridges

Maybe 3-1. We never saw the Starfelt clip of aribos heels from a satisfactory angle. Accidental or not if there was contact and I don’t see aribo being the type to throw himself in a dive (too energetic for him) , VAR would give a PK.

I don't care if Celtc use the dark arts, mate. Collum, however, knew what they were doing and did nothing to stop it. Persistent fouling and professional fouls are yellow cards. That Starfelt committed at least double figure fouls, and wasn't booked is just embarrassing for Scottish football.
Rangers 7 fouls, Celtic 13 fouls..these were the fouls count for match.

Maybe 3-1. We never saw the Starfelt clip of aribos heels from a satisfactory angle. Accidental or not if there was contact and I don’t see aribo being the type to throw himself in a dive (too energetic for him) , VAR would give a PK.
The contact on Aribo was outside the box but it was intentional.
You don’t see many of the old “cross behind and clip” fouls not given. Collum never even flinched.
It was a foul and at least a yellow.

Starfelt runs around committing bad fouls in every game I see. He gets away with so much.

Here he is vs Hibs . No yellow. Compare to Lundstram.
Guess who the referee was?

giphy.gif

The contact on Aribo was outside the box but it was intentional.
You don’t see many of the old “cross behind and clip” fouls not given. Collum never even flinched.
It was a foul and at least a yellow.

Starfelt runs around committing bad fouls in every game I see. He gets away with so much.

Here he is vs Hibs . No yellow. Compare to Lundstram.
Guess who the referee was?

giphy.gif

Pretty sure this was the challenge that ended Nisbet's season as well?

BTW what was Collum all about when he was dragging Sakala away? When do you ever see that from a ref.

Back