Oli McBurnie & Paddy McNair

If we sign McBurnie the only difference next season compared to this is our carthouse centre forward will understand the support slagging him off when he misses 10 chances a game.

As for McNair - absolutely not. No more Championship/failed EPL players on high wages with little resale value.

Buy young prospects to sell on for a fee.
Like Matondo?
Raskin?
Hagi?
Wright?
Dowell?

I find it hard to judge McBurnie as anytime he's been in the EPL its generally been with a poor side who don't give him anything. I've actually been pretty impressed with him in a few isolated performances this season. He certainly puts himself about, hassles defenders and works hard.

If the wages were agreeable, I'd absolutely take him providing we are signing a better quality striker to be the main man.

I always thot he was pish and couldn't believe that Sheffield Utd paid £20m for him.

But the past 2 seasons anytime I have watched them and Mcburnie play he has been much better than I originally thought.

On a free why not we are going to have a massive turnover and need make use of the bosman market.

Seen Paddy play a lot, rarely a bad game and a solid defender although I believe and Michael O Neill as well ,that midfield is his best position. One of the best players on the pitch against Scotland recently and if he were to sign it would be a massive addition and I believe a Rangers fan as well.

Remember, we need a Scottish quota. McBurnie would fit that however the model we are going for is buy young and relatively cheap and sell after 3 or 4 for big cash.

Good point this. Mikey Johnston has completely blown the idea out of the water that if a player looks good in the Championship, he will clearly do well for us or them. Tbf there are countless other examples of this too. It is much, much easier to excel at a club with little to no expectations than it is to excel at Rangers or Celtic. McBurnie reminds me of Kyle Lafferty both as a player and a person. I would fully except him to come up here, score about 10 goals a season, and generally act like a total idiot.
You've convinced me, sign him up.

I'll be happy if we avoid the vastly overpriced English jobber market for the foreseeable future
McNair and McBurnie are included
Spot on. We didn't bring Koppen in to sign Championship Bosmans pushing 30. We have enough bother with them here as it is.

That said, we will need to bring in some experience if we’re moving on a lot of the old guard this summer. McBurnie is not as bad as he’s portrayed.

Has McNair been injured? Either way I doubt he has EPL teams chapping at the door for him.

S1uRn1j.png

Shankland over McBurnie based on goal scoring record.

However, a free transfer could tip the balance and I agree with the sentiment that he would do well for us.

Not seem much of McNair but I take your word for it. We certainly need a CB upgrade.

Don't really see anything negative in picking them both up on a free given what we are going to need to change in summer.
If they don't work u would be able to move them on for a million or 2 to a championship team.

Saying that I think they would both contribute up here.

Anyone against it seems to be similar to the ones who didn't want Lewis Ferguson (or Shankland) a couple of seasons ago.

I would take both of them.

Nobody will tell me paddy mcnair wouldnt offer more than jack, raskin and dowell combined and that mcburnie wouldn't offer more than Roofe and Dessers combined.

I would take both of them.

Nobody will tell me paddy mcnair wouldnt offer more than jack, raskin and dowell combined and that mcburnie wouldn't offer more than Roofe and Dessers combined.
A fair chunk of our support turn their noses up at certain players because of where there from.
Watson at Kilmarnock should be high up on our list in the summer but you've got guys saying hes not good enough.
Move the same player to Holland and thed be doing cartwheels if he signed.

Not offence pal but what a load of pish. Have you just finished reading a self help book!!
If we were good enough to get into the league title race- surely it's about the application of the players- you can't turn up and expect to win- no matter what 11 starts they have to earn the victory

Don't really see anything negative in picking them both up on a free given what we are going to need to change in summer.
If they don't work u would be able to move them on for a million or 2 to a championship team.

Saying that I think they would both contribute up here.

Anyone against it seems to be similar to the ones who didn't want Lewis Ferguson (or Shankland) a couple of seasons ago.
I wanted both the players you mentioned.
I don't think they would improve our team, be on good money and we will be looking to release players like Lunny who is better quality.

McBurnie on a free is an absolute no brainer

He gets 20 plus goals a season up here
Looking further into his stats actually, I would agree. He's already scored over 20 in the Championship one season and 16 last season. He should be able to hit over 20 here. I would rather Shankland but a decent alternative he is.

I would take both. They're an upgrade on what we currently have playing in their positions. Add Kenny McLean in there as well.

Signing another lower end EPL / Championship jobby in McBurnie on 35k a week minimum.

What could possibly go wrong?

I’ve seen 30 threads on here in the last 24 hours castigating this approach.

There’s a big wide world out there, yet we insist on continuously signing overpaid, damaged goods from the most over inflated market in world football, then all get together at the end of the season and wonder where it all went wrong.

Would 100% take McBurnie on a free.

He is nowhere near as bad as what is made out on here.

He’s not free though, and he is bad.

It’ll be 40k a week plus a signing on fee on a 4 year contract, with no resale value.

Over £7.5million.

Then we’ll all blame the recruitment team when we’re lumbered with him in 2.5years despite half the fans clambering for him at the time.

Patch this approach rapidly.

There’s more to the footballing world than the sloppy seconds of England.

He’s not free though, and he is bad.

It’ll be 40k a week plus a signing on fee on a 4 year contract, with no resale value.

Over £7.5million.

Then we’ll all blame the recruitment team when we’re lumbered with him in 2.5years despite half the fans clambering for him at the time.

Patch this approach rapidly.

There’s more to the footballing world than the sloppy seconds of England.
Wrong.

McBurnie is the type of player that generally offers more for teams that are on the backfoot.

Limited technically but can win a few headers to keep the ball up the pitch.
I don't think he's got the all round ability of someone like Jelavic, linking up etc.
I don't think he's such a good finisher that we can basically have him as a man down for 90% of the game for him to pop up with a goal or two, a la Kris Boyd.

Considering that we'd probably be looking at £25k a week to sign him. I'd say no.

McNair I haven't seen enough of.

In general, I think we have to get away from signing players from English clubs unless it is taking a gamble on a younger player. They rarely turn out to be value for money.

I'm away back to bed. We can't keep signing Championship level players and expect to be any better than a Championship team.

Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo, Davies and so on.

Two players we have been linked with previously.

Both are available for pre contracts on January 1st.

I have seen McBurnie a couple of times this season. McBurnie for Dessers would be an upgrade.

Paddy McNair is a victim of his own versatility. Being an NI fan, I see him alot at CB as part of a back 3. He is an upgrade on Souttar, Davies and Balogun as an all round Defender.

1 Scotsman & 1 Ulsterman. Both Rangers fans.

Would we be happy with these two on a free?
And an upgrade on Goldson.

Need to stop making the same mistakes both players past their prime for selling and will be on big wages and long contracts if they come here target players 24 and under that we can flip within 1 or 2 years

I'm away back to bed. We can't keep signing Championship level players and expect to be any better than a Championship team.

Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo, Davies and so on.
ORielly and idah came from the championship and have done alright as did Aribo. Disregarding players because they play in a league is a really dumb outlook.

Remember, we need a Scottish quota. McBurnie would fit that however the model we are going for is buy young and relatively cheap and sell after 3 or 4 for big cash.
I don’t think he’d count as Scottish in the UEFA rules. He hasn’t spent any time in his career in Scotland.

He’d be considered English for development purposes because he came through the system there.

I don't think Celtic alone are our sole comparison but..

If Celtic signed these two they would instantly become two of their more senior players in their squad.

If you look at the players over 28 in their squad, it is 7 and it includes Hart who is going to leave, and 2 back up GK, Forrest and McCarthy who never play.

The age profile of our squad needs to change, these two don't help with that, we should be looking to add players of a younger profile, who are robust, fit, and can improve

Like Dessers and Lammers? 8m and probably 50 grand a week in wages?....
So that’s the only options we have those two or McBurnie?
Or do you mean we should be making the same mistakes this summer by signing forwards who don’t score enough goals.
Crystal ball gazing saying he will get 20 when he has 65 goals in 257 matches over 11 seasons. According to Wiki.

ORielly and idah came from the championship and have done alright as did Aribo. Disregarding players because they play in a league is a really dumb outlook.
OK. Let me change that.

Signing players from the English Championship who are in their mid to late 20's and who command sizeable wages and signing on fees is unlikely to provide Rangers with the necessary level of quality or value for money.

There may be exceptions.

Striker that scores goals would be ideal, what kind of wages would he want though & would that represent value for money, high earner who doesn't score. Think we've enough of them.

Back