Our midfield is far too one dimensional.

Mezzala

This is the third game in a row that our midfield has been very unimpressive against teams that don't give them loads of time on the ball.

Jack, Davis and Kamara have all been very good over the course of the season. Aribo and Arfield have been brilliant for spells and not so good the rest of the time. The issue is that 4 of the 5 are virtually identical in terms of the job they'll do, we can recycle possession really well when everyone is on form but that's about it.

The way we play means most of our attacks are built around giving the ball to either our fullbacks or our 10's, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but we really need some more dynamism in the middle of the pitch. There is a very real danger that we will stagnate if this isn't addressed.

We need to go from strength to strength rather than taking sideways steps and saying it's ok because it's good enough for most games in Scotland.

This is the third game in a row that our midfield has been very unimpressive against teams that don't give them loads of time on the ball.

Jack, Davis and Kamara have all been very good over the course of the season. Aribo and Arfield have been brilliant for spells and not so good the rest of the time. The issue is that 4 of the 5 are virtually identical in terms of the job they'll do, we can recycle possession really well when everyone is on form but that's about it.

The way we play means most of our attacks are built around giving the ball to either our fullbacks or our 10's, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but we really need some more dynamism in the middle of the pitch. There is a very real danger that we will stagnate if this isn't addressed.

We need to go from strength to strength rather than taking sideways steps and saying it's ok because it's good enough for most games in Scotland.
Undefeated in the league, have a day off ffs

Actually agree OP.

I think we need some more athleticism, particularly if we want to compete in Europe and dominate the ball. When we step up to the European stage (and I would include games v them in that even tho they’re relatively shite in Europe) there is a drop off.
Confident this is something we’ll be looking at however.

Actually agree OP.

I think we need some more athleticism, particularly if we want to compete in Europe and dominate the ball. When we step up to the European stage (and I would include games v them in that even tho they’re relatively shite in Europe) there is a drop off.
Yeah, bar Kamara, our midfielders are either good on the ball and average off the ball or vice veras. If we want to further ourselves in Europe, we have to target players who are athletic and good on the ball.

We've got 2 thirds of a fantastic midfield.

Assuming they both stay, we need someone in to complement Davis and Kamara next season to take us to that next level.

I’d like to think if we can make the CL it will negate the need to sell one of our top players, surely no one will fancy leaving if we’re in the CL? To leave before that would be leaving before the project is complete.

If we can keep our midfielders and invest in a circa £5m midfielder I’d be happy. In an ideal world we need a 2001 Barry Ferguson.

Been such a great effort its hard to complain but we'll need strengtened for a tilt at Champions League.
Fully trust Gerrard to see it and deliver.

The thread will no doubt raise a few eyebrows but winning the league this year does not mean we should rest on our laurels. Too many question marks, not about the standard of the midfield players but the consistency.

We need a dominant midfield that challenges every 50/50, I just never saw that today, perhaps I just wanted to steam roller them in their own midden and may have been a little disappointed about todays efforts.

Actually agree OP.

Came onto to post similar. I think the player Provod (sp?) from Sparta is the style of player we should be looking at.

Fair point but I'm sure Gerrard, Wilson, Beale etc will all be aiming to push the team forward, they know fine well what they have to do. Both Gerrard and Wilson have been quoted along the lines of 'we cannot ever stand still, we must look for ways to improve'. The right people are at the club, relax and enjoy your summer.

We'll need to add some midfield upgrades to reach the next level but the OP is hyperbolic.

If we had a fully fit Jack and Arfield then our midfield looks stronger than it has in the last three games.

I also only think 3 out of the 5 are similar. Arfield and Arbio are different players to Jack, Kamara and Davis.

Our midfield being so organised and structured is the reason why our full backs get so much joy you don't get one without the other we really need to put a lot of money down on a new midfielder though with Arfield and Davis ageing Jack having injury issues and Aribo better playing further forward

I don’t think it helps that we don’t really know what Aribo is. I don’t know if he has really found his position yet. To me he’s a talented football player who can deputise in a number of positions. Would love to see him played consistently, because as soon as a sub is made to the front three/midfield he’s the first one to shift position - that’s hard when you’re trying to find tune where you play.

We are amazing. One of the best Rangers teams and seasons in our history. We go toe to toe with anyone and fear no foe at home or abroad.

Can we improve? Yes.

Can we be criticised? Not really.

Why is there a need for this shite?

Take a long time off the negativity and enjoy where we are.

It really is tiresome.
Why is discussing recent performances considered unproductive negativity? Did they not happen?

Our midfield being so organised and structured is the reason why our full backs get so much joy you don't get one without the other we really need to put a lot of money down on a new midfielder though with Arfield and Davis ageing Jack having injury issues and Aribo better playing further forward

I do realise this mate, I don't see why we can't add variation to our play though. Aribo attempted a couple of storming runs in behind their midfield today and it just isn't in his skillset. Most teams double up on Tavernier and it leaves gaps in the final third that aren't capitalised on.

We're unbeaten to date. I think our midfield are doing no bad.

Give the lads a break. They have been fantastic all season and we had a hard game on Thursday and all the racist shit to deal with. I am sure we will destroy them on the last game at Ibrox so let’s not get upset and look forward to the Scottish cup and ending the season unbeaten

And ? You think we could have done better this season?

20 points clear and league won before clocks go forward.

Dominated 90% of games this season. But our midfield isn't good enough?

The midfield wasnt good enough to get past Slavia.

That doesnt diminish the title effort this season. There was a significant improvement between last season and this season, particularly with the mentality of the players. We looked very strong domestically and we've had some fantastic results in Europe.

Doesnt mean that fans can't or shouldn't talk about where they'd want to see the side improved. A better midfield gets us past Slavia and into the next stage of the Europa league.

Not to be cheeky, but that is the way we play. It is planned.

We are the Billy boys.....

Why is discussing recent performances considered unproductive negativity? Did they not happen?

I do realise this mate, I don't see why we can't add variation to our play though. Aribo attempted a couple of storming runs in behind their midfield today and it just isn't in his skillset. Most teams double up on Tavernier and it leaves gaps in the final third that aren't capitalised on.

You'll get some kudos points on the internet from the like minded mate, enjoy them.

I'm drunk with joy these days.

Again a fair point but it is a discussion forum after all
You're correct mate, just find the timing of the thread weird.

Undefeated and cruised to the title, but hey ho and each to their own. Personally I'll enjoy what the team have achieved.

IMO you have to be careful when tweaking a midfield.

Liverpool have made their balance worse by bringing in a world class player in Thiago, who’s the most gifted out of all their midfielders. They were actually a more competitive side when their midfield consisted of the three workhorses of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho.

It may not always be exciting but our midfield works, and 33 games unbeaten in the league is proof of this.

Ffs. We are 20 points clear and undefeated and you are moaning.

Back