Our midfield is far too one dimensional.

The midfield wasnt good enough to get past Slavia.

That doesnt diminish the title effort this season. There was a significant improvement between last season and this season, particularly with the mentality of the players. We looked very strong domestically and we've had some fantastic results in Europe.

Doesnt mean that fans can't or shouldn't talk about where they'd want to see the side improved. A better midfield gets us past Slavia and into the next stage of the Europa league.
Only the midfield wasn't good enough to beat Prague?

We've absolutely criused to a league title and folk want a moan?

They've been brilliant, nobody is saying otherwise.

We are Rangers though, we can always be better and we should always be aiming for that. Can we stop with this idea that anything but mindless clapping is acceptable?

Clapping this side isn't mindless, anyone who doesn't appreciate them is an idiot.

I really would like to see us invest in a proper box to box midfielder.
Somebody strong and athletic who scores goals.
Might be easier to attract someone like that if we can offer champions league football

Far too easy a point to make, which totally avoids engagement in a legitimate debate

We need variety in midfield, if we are to progess to the next level, of that there is no doubt.
Next level? What's that? Winning every game?

Only the midfield wasn't good enough to beat Prague?

We've absolutely criused to a league title and folk want a moan?

Slavia were there for the beating. We didnt beat them because they dominated the game in midfield and stopped us playing anything like as well as we have done.

Gerrard will already have sat down with Wilson and told him the areas of the side he wants to upgrade. Enjoying a title win doesnt mean that folk can't look at where the team needs to upgrade. Guaranteed that the manager has already had that conversation. It's possible to enjoy the season that we've had and be looking to the future on where we can be better.

The midfield wasnt good enough to get past Slavia.

That doesnt diminish the title effort this season. There was a significant improvement between last season and this season, particularly with the mentality of the players. We looked very strong domestically and we've had some fantastic results in Europe.

Doesnt mean that fans can't or shouldn't talk about where they'd want to see the side improved. A better midfield gets us past Slavia and into the next stage of the Europa league.

Or course there is no harm in bettering yourself, a better midfield would have got us past Prague? Possibly, but ffs consider all that has went before us this season, the energy drive passion and mental toughness etc. Benfica are a better team than Prague and we more than matched them twice, sometimes there's still quality but not the same energy left in the tank.

Never rest on your laurels. Never be complacent.

Alway look to strengthen when in a position of power.

As I've said before I think we are looking at quite an overhaul in the summer.

Will Kamara be sold for big bucks?
Can we rely on Jack?
Singed new deal but Davis not getting any younger.
Arfield - squad player next season. And age catching up with him.

Need at least 2 new midfield starters.

Semis in Europe.

Do you actually think we have a team that can’t improve?
Every team can improve obviously, just find it strange a thread like this appearing after the season we've had.

Never rest in your laurels. Never be complacent.

Alway look to strengthen when in a position of power.

As I've said before I think we are looking at quite an overhaul in the summer.

Will Kamara be sold for big bucks?
Can we rely on Jack?
Singed new deal but Davis not getting any younger.
Arfield - squad player next season. And age catching up with him.

Need at least 2 new midfield starters.

Kamara won't be sold unless it's for an absolutely crazy bid. He's the kind of technical player you build a midfield round.

Jack is a fine player if fit. Questions about his injuries and fitness this season but if he can stay healthy then he's a very useful player to have.

Davis' lack of pace is an issue at times. If opponents give him the time to play the ball then he's still very good. If they press the midfield then Davis doesnt have that time. For me he's a bench option next year. Bring him on when the opposition are tiring and where his lack of pace becomes less of a factor.

Arfield was badly off the pace of the game on Thursday. Useful squad option but not a starter next season.

It's going to depend on Jack's injuries and fitness and on the progress of the young players whether Rangers need 1 or 2 midfielders over the summer.

Possibly guilty of being a homer, however I'm not convinced that Slavia are a better team than us. They certainly were better over the two legs of the tie, which is when it counted. But they benefitted massively from 2 uncharacteristic errors by McGregor. I don't think our team did themselves justice in the tie. They're capable of far better than they produced, but unfortunately you get games like that. It doesn't diminish what's been a magnificent season from them.

Kamara won't be sold unless it's for an absolutely crazy bid. He's the kind of technical player you build a midfield round.

Jack is a fine player if fit. Questions about his injuries and fitness this season but if he can stay healthy then he's a very useful player to have.

Davis' lack of pace is an issue at times. If opponents give him the time to play the ball then he's still very good. If they press the midfield then Davis doesnt have that time. For me he's a bench option next year. Bring him on when the opposition are tiring and where his lack of pace becomes less of a factor.

Arfield was badly off the pace of the game on Thursday. Useful squad option but not a starter next season.

It's going to depend on Jack's injuries and fitness and on the progress of the young players whether Rangers need 1 or 2 midfielders over the summer.

A lot of this was said before the start of last season, Arfield came in and played a very pivotal part, Davis was written off before the season started, of course it can't last forever.

I can believe that wanting to upgrade is a natural progression but then I believe that writing people off after a season like this is ludicrous.

at some point i'd like to see a two combination from Jack, Davis and Karmara with Hagi right in front of them
hagi was tried in midfield but with a 10 in front rather than be the 10

something like:

Greegs

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Davis

Hagi

Wright
Morelos
Kent

A lot of this was said before the start of last season, Arfield came in and played a very pivotal part, Davis was written off before the season started, of course it can't last forever.

I can believe that wanting to upgrade is a natural progression but then I believe that writing people off after a season like this is ludicrous.

And I will add we were all gutted when Arfield was injured and was going to miss the January part of the season.

Tbf they have run some amount of ground this season, we have dropped a level for sure but atleast we didnt fold and are still unbeaten!

Might just be a bit of tired legs over the last few weeks. Im sure we will be back to our best after the international break.

OP trying far too hard. Even the football manager username.

Its a very very simple concept.

Football team missing 2 critical players for tempo and energy.

Football team looking absolutely gassed after months pushing under stress thats been released at last.

Nothing to do with tactics nothing to do with roles.

Zero.

I am sure your insight will be appreciated by the manager and the coaching staff of a league winning undefeated team
We sadly need a SG in our midfield,strong,creative ,attacking,can shoot fron 20+ yards, I think our last two games in Europe let our opposition see our weaknesses in defence and midfield,but but I am so happy that this season has shown everyone we are on our way.

TBF to the op, the timing might not be the best but he/she/they/ae/per/ey/ve/xe/zie/sie/tey/E is right. We do need to strengthen areas of the team for next season. Midfield is recognised by most as the main area but, depending on player sales, defence and the forward line could require new faces. Added to that is that shagger will be turning 40 next year.

Ultimately, we can't bask in the glory of this season and rest on our laurels (sorry for the excessive clichés). They scum got swept aside this season (partially) by thinking there wasn't a challenge. We can't fall into the same trap. Thankfully, I don't think our management team would make the same mistake.

Our midfield has been absolutely fantastic this season. We've had a lot of games recently and due to injury we've struggled to rotate. Our midfield is not too one dimensional. Our midfield is fantastically drilled and know their roles very well, but they're also incredibly dynamic and by far the best midfield in the country by a long, long way.

I'm really happy with this season.

I'm also conscious that we are going to be playing at a level higher than we have for a decade next season, Celtic will probably improve too.
Not sure they will improve,most if not all their better players will be away.

This is the third game in a row that our midfield has been very unimpressive against teams that don't give them loads of time on the ball.

Jack, Davis and Kamara have all been very good over the course of the season. Aribo and Arfield have been brilliant for spells and not so good the rest of the time. The issue is that 4 of the 5 are virtually identical in terms of the job they'll do, we can recycle possession really well when everyone is on form but that's about it.

The way we play means most of our attacks are built around giving the ball to either our fullbacks or our 10's, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but we really need some more dynamism in the middle of the pitch. There is a very real danger that we will stagnate if this isn't addressed.

We need to go from strength to strength rather than taking sideways steps and saying it's ok because it's good enough for most games in Scotland.
We are missing an essential part of our midfield,in Ryan Jack ffs.
I don’t think we have conceded an SPL goal,when he is on the field this season.:rolleyes:

Actually agree OP.

I think we need some more athleticism, particularly if we want to compete in Europe and dominate the ball. When we step up to the European stage (and I would include games v them in that even tho they’re relatively shite in Europe) there is a drop off.
Confident this is something we’ll be looking at however.
I actually do think we need more in the midfield.
But, that’s to improve and have some forward planning.

Its certainly not to compete in Europe. I’d say a group stage followed by the knockouts the last two seasons is competing just fine. In fact more than fine.

We are missing an essential part of our midfield,in Ryan Jack ffs.
I don’t think we have conceded an SPL goal,when he is on the field this season.:rolleyes:
Jacks been here 4 seasons and has missed the equivalent of 2 full domestic campaigns through injury.

I love him to pieces but I'd rather not be saying we missed him every week.

I agree with the OP to an extent.

Our midfield are good when we dominate games and have 70% possession. However, when we come up against team who press us I think we struggle.

We need a midfielder who is able to take the ball under pressure on the half turn then drive us 20/30 yards up the field. Our midfield are too one paced at times.

I’d like to see us spend £5/6million on a good central midfielder in the summer. I think it’s the area of our team that needs improvement the most.

And ? You think we could have done better this season?

20 points clear and league won before clocks go forward.

Dominated 90% of games this season. But our midfield isn't good enough?
Considering that a substantial number on FF refer to most of the opposition we face in the spfl as dross 90% domination should be a given.

Anyway, surely having won the league in early march it does no harm to think & discuss the future of this team. I'd imagine that the Manager, DoF & others have already started going down that road for next season.

I’ll take the OPs post as meaning it was an issue moving forwards. And I’d agree.

If we want to be serious about making the CL we will need to upgrade the midfield. The number 8 position is so key to our play, that we can have an anonymous performance like Aribo today.

I actually do think we need more in the midfield.
But, that’s to improve and have some forward planning.

Its certainly not to compete in Europe. I’d say a group stage followed by the knockouts the last two seasons is competing just fine. In fact more than fine.
Totally agree mate. I do think we actually have the chance to improve though even further. Why not regularly go deep in to that Europa league we have all the opportunity/structure to do it.

Putting aside the thoughts on improving the midfield for next season for a minute, I really hope Jack is fit for the post split games.

A midfield of Jack, Davis and Kamara will give us a base to really put the mhanks to the sword in the game at Ibrox.

Jeez, Ibrox is a shyte place to be if you can't play brilliantly in every match.

Sometimes you get a good 10min before some fans want you hooked.

We play more or less the same way with a 3 man midfield most if not all games.

It works for us but with Jack out we don't rotate as we did and Arfield less effective since his injury.

I'd imagine we'll sign a midfielder

Jack is a big miss and Arfield was bang on form until his injury.

When our whole midfield is fit we win that game today.

Kamara and Davis get rests between games when we have a full team to choose from but they have had to play every game.

It all counts.

A draw away at your closest rivals is a good result so no need for panty wetting.

Back