Our midfield is far too one dimensional.

Pretty sure the manager knows what he would like in terms of starting 11 and squad personnel, I think we will be in safe hands, enjoy celebrating the league title we have just won and give the players the respect they deserve for their achievements and efforts.

I think the problem is ( and it has been proven the last 3 games ) that the midfield of of kamara / Davis / aribo doesn’t work for games we don’t dominate possession, really misses a jack / arfield type in there

This is the third game in a row that our midfield has been very unimpressive against teams that don't give them loads of time on the ball.

Jack, Davis and Kamara have all been very good over the course of the season. Aribo and Arfield have been brilliant for spells and not so good the rest of the time. The issue is that 4 of the 5 are virtually identical in terms of the job they'll do, we can recycle possession really well when everyone is on form but that's about it.

The way we play means most of our attacks are built around giving the ball to either our fullbacks or our 10's, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but we really need some more dynamism in the middle of the pitch. There is a very real danger that we will stagnate if this isn't addressed.

We need to go from strength to strength rather than taking sideways steps and saying it's ok because it's good enough for most games in Scotland.
You don't know what one dimensional means if you believe those 5are "virtually identical".

Not gona roast you or give you pelters for an opinion on a forum because that's what it's there for. But i am just telling you my opinion of your opinion.

Jacks been here 4 seasons and has missed the equivalent of 2 full domestic campaigns through injury.

I love him to pieces but I'd rather not be saying we missed him every week.
Every SPL game he has played in,has been a shut out.Nuff said.;)

People saying we need to “go to the next level”.
Maybe it’s just me, but I’d cream my trolleys with the same level next season.

The players have been great this season....however, as Gerrard says ‘he is always looking for improvement’.

I think he really would like a quality box to box midfielder to compliment what we have and enable us to play different systems when needed.

Also believe that we need an upgrade on hagi/aribo...think we can get a higher level than either of them. Regardless, always will be fondly regarded for the part in #55 they played

This is the third game in a row that our midfield has been very unimpressive against teams that don't give them loads of time on the ball.

Jack, Davis and Kamara have all been very good over the course of the season. Aribo and Arfield have been brilliant for spells and not so good the rest of the time. The issue is that 4 of the 5 are virtually identical in terms of the job they'll do, we can recycle possession really well when everyone is on form but that's about it.

The way we play means most of our attacks are built around giving the ball to either our fullbacks or our 10's, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but we really need some more dynamism in the middle of the pitch. There is a very real danger that we will stagnate if this isn't addressed.

We need to go from strength to strength rather than taking sideways steps and saying it's ok because it's good enough for most games in Scotland.
The transfer window isn’t open and the leagues won. Do you think we’re not going to strengthen for next season?

One of our key players and most creative outlets has been injured for a month. Tav is one of our most important players. Not a surprise that our attacking output has dwindled and our defence has looked less cohesive as a unit. That's no slight on Balogun or Patterson, they are a massive upgrade on Polster and Flanagan from this time last season but Tav they ain't.

Can we not just have a permanent thread titled 'The Midfield'? Fairly well established on here that we need to spend some serious cash on the midfield come the summer. All noises coming out of Ibrox seems to point to that being the intention. Us essentially securing guaranteed Champions League group stage football for whoever wins the title next season. The mentally challengeds going through a transitional season at pretty much every level within their club next season. We need to go for broke and I don't think the board will rest on their laurels.

We may be offered money that is too good to turn down for a couple of key players. However I'm sure we'll replace them adequately. We have also, in theory, already got a few of those replacements at the club. Midfield is the only area of the squad were we have very little variation or like for like replacement. I'm sure Gerrard and co likely expected a bigger impact from Zungu but that simply hasn't happened and with him looking at a potential ban then his chances of making any move permanent are slim. Jack's injury issues haven't been ideal either and I've already said a few times on here, it's time we planned for a future in which we aren't reliant on him.

All of this in mind though. It's been a long, highly emotional and draining season all around for everyone associated with our club. This past fortnight in particular has been exhausting, mostly all enjoyable but still emotionally draining and likely not helped by the ugliness of these past 3 days. International break now. Players who are off get to spend time with their families and the ones who have international duties will no doubt enjoy a further chance to serve their countries. Come back refreshed and ready to reclaim the Scottish Cup and secure a double.

Mate your patter is too one - dimensional.

Be grateful for having Jack, Kamara, Davis while they're here.

Rangers had won 1 game out of 10 against them before steve G took over.

This season we’re 7 points out of a possible 9

And play them at Ibrox next time around.

We didn't improve the midfield last summer so I expect an upgrade this. Zungu isn't good enough, Davis shouldn't play every game, and Jack is injury prone.

Kamara won't be sold unless it's for an absolutely crazy bid. He's the kind of technical player you build a midfield round.

Jack is a fine player if fit. Questions about his injuries and fitness this season but if he can stay healthy then he's a very useful player to have.

Davis' lack of pace is an issue at times. If opponents give him the time to play the ball then he's still very good. If they press the midfield then Davis doesnt have that time. For me he's a bench option next year. Bring him on when the opposition are tiring and where his lack of pace becomes less of a factor.

Arfield was badly off the pace of the game on Thursday. Useful squad option but not a starter next season.

It's going to depend on Jack's injuries and fitness and on the progress of the young players whether Rangers need 1 or 2 midfielders over the summer.
This echoes my thoughts entirely. I think Stevie will be after 1 top CM, and continue to manage Arfield/Jack/Davis in that midfield. Orfabor is one for the future. Budget dependent on progression to the CL groups.

Then anyone leaves (Tav/Goldon/Kent/Kamara/Alfie) would go for big money and should be replaced.

You’re right and you’ll also take a pounding for this post, I only read the first few replies and it seems the case. If we want to go to a level above the high standards we’ve set, it’ll certainly have to be addressed. This is the managements job though, and they’ve earned my trust.

Qualification for the CL Group Stages should be the priority for us as a Club right now and I think that’s done easily with the current squad, but like I said significant investment in midfield will see us push a bit further. Davis eventual replacement has to be bedded in during the summer. Arfield is only getting older also and I don’t feel he’s good enough for the Champions League as much as I love him. Aribo and Hagi are developing and Jack is injury prone so in my view, there is absolutely a case for significant midfield investment.

Holding onto Kamara is vital for now, I feel. We need another season from him. Would like to add that the posters trying to make out that the OP and others are being overly negative or stupid for stating their opinion aren’t winning any staunch points. It’s a discussion forum and there’s a reason Zungu was signed, trying to get an extra option and fill a slot but he is clearly not good enough, there’s room for improvement and the management know this. Absolutely nothing wrong with the OP.

Last edited:
The manager and the recruitment team have stated on various occasions that they are always looking to strengthen the squad
So never post about anything then?

The poster doesnt say anything controversial or in my opinion wrong in the OP.

If Kamara has a good Euros and leaves in the summer we need a new starting midfield as we need an upgrade on Jack (fitness and playing ability) and Davis will have a tail off at one point and expecting him to maintain these levels is hugely unrealsitic.

But we wont discuss it because the manager is always looking to improve..........

We've won the league in March, undefeated all season so far, ten goals conceded.

If it's too 'one dimensonal', then give me that every day of the week.

Things are good everything is rosy etc. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't look to improve and IMO the op is spot on. The midfield is in need of attention.

I understand where the op is coming from. We all want us to dominate games against the mentally challengeds and put them to the sword. But the team has secured the title and a draining effect has kicked in. It is inevitable, particularly after last Thursday's troubles with Slavia. I understand why the op thinks we are too 'one dimensional', because the midfield yesterday did not manage to play to the high standards we expect. Glen was below par but defended well. Davis was the best of the lot and had to fill in often for Aribo as well. The latter is a conundrum . He has the gift to be clever on the ball but yesterday drifted in and out of the game. He has to learn how to impose himself more. Perhaps it was the role he was given in the game by SG. Aribo is less suited to a more defensive role and ends up being caught out in no-mans land. The same goes for Hagi. I had expected he would have given more support to Balogun in the first half and doubled up against Laxalt. That he failed to do it at their goal exposed ourselves down that flank once again.

Yesterday was understandable. Too many players having an off day and still the mentally challengeds couldn't take advantage of our tiredness. For me, a draw was a decent result. In times past, even Walter's best teams would occasionally go to Parkheid after we had secured the title and end up on the losing side. So, all in all, the op should understand the circumstances and except that we can't always be at our best. Oddly enough, if we had met Slavia at the end of February, before we won 55, I reckon we would have beat them.

IMO OP has a reasonable point, and it will be No 1 priority for recruiting during the summer.

Zungu was probably brought in to be something different, I expected a bulldozing style midfielder, obviously it hasn’t worked for him.

The midfield wasnt good enough to get past Slavia.

That doesnt diminish the title effort this season. There was a significant improvement between last season and this season, particularly with the mentality of the players. We looked very strong domestically and we've had some fantastic results in Europe.

Doesnt mean that fans can't or shouldn't talk about where they'd want to see the side improved. A better midfield gets us past Slavia and into the next stage of the Europa league.

The midfield played a part and can be improved but the whole team wasn't good enough to get past Slavia. I personally think we would have been closer to them if Tavernier, Helander and Jack were all available but that's ifs and buts.

Worth remembering that a Leicester team with Ndidi and Tielemans at central midfield wasn't good enough to get past Slavia either.

We miss Ryan Jack. We probably could do with another addition of REAL quality in there. We'll be fine.
Agreed 100% sadly it’s not looking like we can rely on Ryan to be a regular starter. Whatever the nature of the knee injury he had at Aberdeen it has impacted him and clearly causes other issues. I assume it’s not something surgery could resolve? It’s such a shame as he is an excellent player.

While your timing maybe off, I agree OP. We should be having the discussions about what is required.

Next season, Davis will be a year older, Jack is struggling to stay fit at present and we’re really missing him, Kamara I think will go for big money (I hope he doesn’t) Arfield getting that bit older and Aribo being inconsistent.

We have Kelly back and Ofoborh signed but I do think we need to add a couple. I’d love to see a long term replacement come in for Davis and be able to play and train with him for a year.

We need to improve the midfield. That's evident. Keeping Kemar Roofe fit will be massive as well and give us an extra cutting edge in the final third.

The last few weeks have showed how big a player Tavernier is for us as well. We haven't been as fluid going forward and we have been extremely vulnerable defensively down our right hand side.

Roofe has struggled with his fitness for three seasons now. That’s why we got him at that price we did.

We have a good midfield but it can be improved further and that's not a dig btw.

I reckon we will sign at least two upgrades in the summer definitely a hard working box to box right hand side midfielder and possibly another one depending if we decide to look for Davis's long term replacement.

We always have to look to improve and freshen up the team.

Jack and Arfield and there regular injury problems are a concern.

Zungu will go meaning we immediately need another number 6. We need a number 8 as next season will (presumably) be too early for Ofoborh or Kelly to do a job. Any money we have should be spent on quality that will be first team starters. Other than that we need to replace any of the first team who leave.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what team you talk about or what that team has achieved, there is always room for improvement.

However, to say our midfield is one dimensional is just not true.

There is a balance of defensive/attacking players. I think most of our big game tactics see us tilt our midfield to a slightly more defensive unit to counter the fact Borna and Tav are bombing forward at every opportunity.

We can play the high press game very well or we can let teams have possession and commit their players forward the we win back the ball and hit them on the break.

Over the three season Gerrard has made progress and improved performances, there is no suggestion we won't continue to improve.

I am impressed with that result against a team who were going all out hell bent on making a point. They failed.

Given the league is in the bag, Rangers will take that point, unbeaten run intact and move on to our Scottish Cup match.

This is the worst Celtic team I’ve seen in a long time. This is our opportunity to build on what we have and go streets ahead. They are going to have spend big if they want to catch us. I’m not slaying the team but there are areas we need to strengthen on. I applaud Davis and McGregor unfortunately they are still producing their best but time isn’t on their side.,Undoubtedly teams are going to come in for our best, that will leave a huge gap and don’t think ths discussion hasn’t taken place in the board room.

Our current midfield style is pass and move, our midfield very very rarely take on a man (tbh our midfield don't have the pace) So when a team press us man for man and someone is having an off day and can't complete a simple 10yd pass (i.e. Aribo yesterday) it puts us under immense pressure.

It is the right way to play, make the ball do all the work, but we need somone that can mix it up every now and again and play direct, someone like the Braga lad Fransergio. imo. Easier said than done, I know.

With a fit Ryan Jack, we only need a CM that can be physically strong on the ball and can take on a man.

I’ll agree with you, however the area I feel the midfield have to step up with, and the Season has been brilliant (Please Sir I Want More) is Goals. We have been scoring from all players, however midfield players Do have a shot on them but instead of the extra pass have a go and increase our already impressive goal tally.

The midfield has done brilliantly this season. But we always have to look forward. Replacements for Davis and Arfield will be in Gerrard’s mind for the summer, and that won’t be easy. Kamara is a fine player, but imo needs to impose himself more in tough games like the last three, that’s a coaching issue.

Gerrard will also be taking a long look at the Ryan Jack situation. We look so much better with him in the team, but can he be relied on for availability. Also needs to decide on Aribo’s best position, forward on the right would be my choice.

The signings we make in this area in the summer will be vital for us next season.

I think there are two issues.

Firstly, Zungu has contributed little, so we are a squad member down effectively. When you consider Jack, Arfield, Davis ages & injuries, it’s taken its toll on our midfield squad.

Also, we don’t have a big physical athlete in midfield who goes box to box & can cope with such as the physicality of Slavia.

Zungu out & two in for me next season, one of whom should be an energetic pacy athlete, for me anyway.

We need another high quality midfielder to improve for sure.
I think as we need to balance the books to some degree now, perhaps we should appreciate that, for the next couple of years, it is as good as it gets, champions and a Europa League last 16 team, enjoy every moment. Perhaps in years to come as our finances improve, we can aspire to go further in Europe.

I think there are two issues.

Firstly, Zungu has contributed little, so we are a squad member down effectively. When you consider Jack, Arfield, Davis ages & injuries, it’s taken its toll on our midfield squad.

Also, we don’t have a big physical athlete in midfield who goes box to box & can cope with such as the physicality of Slavia.

Zungu out & two in for me next season, one of whom should be an energetic pacy athlete, for me anyway.
nothing against Zungu (my dad asked yesterday is Kung Du was on the bench :))) but our loan midfield signings under SG have been all rather poor Ejaria, Coulibaly, King and Zungu.

I dont see jack/arfield being able to give us more next season than we have had from them this season so we need to find a quality first team midfielder for next season, possibly two.

nothing against Zungu (my dad asked yesterday is Kung Du was on the bench :))) but our loan midfield signings under SG have been all rather poor Ejaria, Coulibaly, King and Zungu.

I dont see jack/arfield being able to give us more next season than we have had from them this season so we need to find a quality first team midfielder for next season, possibly two.

Very true Ubik, none of our loan midfielders have worked out, unless we classify Davis as a loan for his first six months mate.

Next season is financially even bigger than this, so we need to continue to develop & progress.

personally, I think the team could benefit greatly from having a more direct Albertz-style midfielder to call upon., in order to be able to vary the way we play.

Actually agree OP.

I think we need some more athleticism, particularly if we want to compete in Europe and dominate the ball. When we step up to the European stage (and I would include games v them in that even tho they’re relatively shite in Europe) there is a drop off.
Confident this is something we’ll be looking at however.
That's when it's obvious, in Europe

I'm not even unhappy with the result, I just see something that I'm scared we will gloss over because we've won the league.
They have missed Ryan Jack particularly as defensive cover for the right wing back Hagi/Aribo struggle in that position the manager is probably fully aware of what the squad needs going into next season as usual it will come down to cost and who is willing to come and play in Scotland

A big athletic Croat type would be ideal, would have loved Toma Basic, but seems he's off to Milan for £9mil at the end of the season, saw YT vid of him a few weeks ago and looks the business - ah well. But someone in that mould.

Should be easier with CL football & Stevie G's coaching team to attract a good prospect.

Our current midfield style is pass and move, our midfield very very rarely take on a man (tbh our midfield don't have the pace) So when a team press us man for man and someone is having an off day and can't complete a simple 10yd pass (i.e. Aribo yesterday) it puts us under immense pressure.

It is the right way to play, make the ball do all the work, but we need somone that can mix it up every now and again and play direct, someone like the Braga lad Fransergio. imo. Easier said than done, I know.

With a fit Ryan Jack, we only need a CM that can be physically strong on the ball and can take on a man.

Aribo has an off day every time he’s in the midfield 3, I think we need to accept he shouldn’t be considered an option for that role.

Ffs. We are 20 points clear and undefeated and you are moaning.
In the summer of 1964 and had everything, it all turned to mush.

Don't get too over complacent.

Yesterday's p1sh showed we have nothing to be too over confident about.

The first weekend of this month was a monumental step for us all. Especially for the young troops. It was a long train coming.

But people saying, we need to prepare all over again I think are only echoing the manager's inner thoughts.

I could say the manager's innervisions, because oor Stevie's a Wonder. Boom boom.

Back