Our national stadium

Most countries can manage without a national stadium
If we get to semi finals and finals we would be playing at the piggery and if we were not in it the mhanks would be playing at Ibrox,the thought of 25000 of them polluting our Stadium doesent appeal.Where would we play cup finals against them?The sfa would never agree to Murrayfield.
IMO the money needs to be found to upgrade Hampden.

It's a running track with a pitch stuck in the middle of it.
Not fit for purpose and must be one of the worst National stadiums around.

We'd be better off moving high profile games to Murrayfield - a far better stadium for football matches.
Murrayfield isn’t the answer here. You’re also miles away from the pitch.

Main stand you have a track, and behind the goals have a huge in-goal area.

For what it’s worth, the south stand at Hampden is also pretty shit. It’s just less shit than the rest of the stadium

Back then there was a lot of sentimental attachment to Hampden and the ‘Hampden Roar’. People couldn’t imagine not having Hampden. Now, with generations having passed on and modern day fans experiencing better facilities elsewhere, if the same question were asked now I believe the answer would be very different.

I’ve been to Hampden for countless games. I’ve never seen Rangers lose there. I’ve been to several concerts over the years too. I have so many happy memories from there. However, due to poor public transport links, lack of parking, poor infrastructure and in most parts of it, a poor view of the pitch, I’ve vowed never to go back.
If you've never seen us lose , take it you couldn't get a ticket for most of our games there in the last seven years

I sit in the Noth Stand at the halfway line for Scotland games and its pretty decent. Was in the South Upper yesterday and it was actually pretty good. The view and the facilities/cleanliness etc was great.

However, I am normally in the west stand for our games and its borderline unwatchable. Why we need 3 square kilometres of running track behind the goals is beyond me.
To invade the park you would be knackered by the time you hit halfway

If we get to semi finals and finals we would be playing at the piggery and if we were not in it the mhanks would be playing at Ibrox,the thought of 25000 of them polluting our Stadium doesent appeal.Where would we play cup finals against them?The sfa would never agree to Murrayfield.
IMO the money needs to be found to upgrade Hampden.
Toss a coin , did we not do that in 94

Apart from England and Scotland I’m struggling to think of any other country that has a National Football Stadium.
Bulldoze it preferably when Doncaster etc are on site and use club grounds with Murrayfield in the mix as well.

Murrayfield isn’t the answer here. You’re also miles away from the pitch.

Main stand you have a track, and behind the goals have a huge in-goal area.

For what it’s worth, the south stand at Hampden is also pretty shit. It’s just less shit than the rest of the stadium
I enjoyed it when hearts used it a few years ago. Was much better than Hampden imo. I do fucking hate Hampden tho to be fair, always have.

I enjoyed it when hearts used it a few years ago. Was much better than Hampden imo. I do fucking hate Hampden tho to be fair, always have.
For me, running track aside, the biggest problem with hampden is its a throat punch trying to get home from it unless you live south/west of it. Public transport, parking etc all a nightmare if you live in the east of the city, especially since we get the west stand.

I've been in the front row in the West Stand and it's horrendous.
The back row is probably closer to Mount Florida station than the pitch as well
I was in the West Stand once, Row C or the like, ( once was enough for me ) and one of the annoying things was that the advertising toblerones they put along the goal line meant we couldn't see the actual goal line.

Never mind trying to watch the far end from what must be at least 150 yards and almost at pitch level.

They must surely be planning on spending some money on it with euro 2028 being agreed.

Assume they can’t lower the pitch to at least get the views sorted

For me, running track aside, the biggest problem with hampden is its a throat punch trying to get home from it unless you live south/west of it. Public transport, parking etc all a nightmare if you live in the east of the city, especially since we get the west stand.
Aye it’s an infrastructural ball ache mate, agreed.

SFA and SRU should just come together, sell off their stadiums and build one single multi-use stadium that is capable of not only hosting Rugby and Football but other events like Boxing, WWE, NFL etc.

Obviously the big issue is where to put it but still Scotland needs an up to date stadium with all the facilities that can attract major industries to come here instead of London or Cardiff.
Why sell murrayfield there’s nothing wrong with it

I'm (un)lucky enough to live within walking distance of Hampden. I would have thought with 2 stations within 10 minutes walk and less than a mile from the motorway at Polmadie transport links would be decent. What are the problems on match days?

Parking is easy with a 15 minute walk to the ground. Hamden is shite but parking is never a problem.

Parking is easy with a 15 minute walk to the ground. Hamden is shite but parking is never a problem.
Because of where i come off at polmadie, i have to park in the ‘away’ section or add like 30 mins onto my drive. Its a pain in the arse. Do it apart from vs sheep, hibs or that mob though.

Not to my memory,we played Dundee Utd in the final at Hampden in 1994.Our game is Mickey Mouse enough without a coin toss to decide a cup final venue.

He was right, just a year out.

1993 we played them at Ibrox as a neutral venue. We had Copland and Main stand. They had Broomy and Govan.

You better watch what you wish for.
Japanese Pete will have the Piggery installed as Scotlands hole I mean home of football given a sniff.
It was a hash job the renewal of Hampden but the best money could afford at the time.
I do recall it proposed at the time why not shift the games around the country to the appropriate stadium for each particular game and save the money being spent on Hampden.
Call me a cynic you know where these games would end up!

I'm probably one of the few who loves Hampden, well maybe not so, because my sons share my affection of the place as well; after Ibrox, Hampden is the ground I love the most; that view as you look down behind the goal is incredible. The main problem I have, though, is the seating behind the goal; it still looks like a standing terrace, and that's the change I'd like to see it have. Other than that, I really love the place.

Stadium is awful inside and out took nearly 2 hours to get home sitting in traffic.

I only live in Ballieston.

Still will go back for final though.
Park further away. I live in Stonehouse and was back home about 6pm.

It's a national disgrace of a stadium. I've never really understood why we can't get 1 billion worth of lottery money and do a proper job. I also see it as a failure of the pretendy government that they have not sorted this out in the last 15 years. It should be regarded as a national infrastructure project.

I'm probably one of the few who loves Hampden, well maybe not so, because my sons share my affection of the place as well; after Ibrox, Hampden is the ground I love the most; that view as you look down behind the goal is incredible. The main problem I have, though, is the seating behind the goal; it still looks like a standing terrace, and that's the change I'd like to see it have. Other than that, I really love the place.

I get a lot of the disdain for the stadium, but I agree with a lot of what you're saying here.

It's a cherished piece of footballing history - nationally and globally - and is, after Ibrox, the most significant place in Rangers' history.

Was it because of the Taylor report that they just did a patch work job in the early 90s by simply seating the old terracing, rather than doing what they did with the South stand ie demolish it and start from scratch?

I agree it does need some tlc at the very least, the roof cladding between the west and north stand is absolutely filthy. Complete eye sore as you approach our end from Somerville drive.

He was right, just a year out.

1993 we played them at Ibrox as a neutral venue. We had Copland and Main stand. They had Broomy and Govan.
That was the semi final of the 1993 League Cup when Hampden was getting done up.I dont know if ime in the minority but i think a neutral venue is preferrable.
Its more of an occassion for the players and the fans and its fairer on the teams contesting the final.

Was it because of the Taylor report that they just did a patch work job in the early 90s by simply seating the old terracing, rather than doing what they did with the South stand ie demolish it and start from scratch?

I agree it does need some tlc at the very least, the roof cladding between the west and north stand is absolutely filthy. Complete eye sore as you approach our end from Somerville drive.
It was such a dump by the early 90s they had to do something. They got a grant off the Government that let them build a roof over the big enclosure and C****c end and seat them. Then they got the grant from the Millennium Commission to do the rest. They should have waited until they had enough funding and bulldozed the whole lot, moved the pitch slightly south. They could then have got rid of the bowl shape, built the stands the same height and increased the rake of the seating. I don't think they can build the North Stand any higher because of the houses across Somerville Dr.
When they did the renovations they sent a quarterly newsletter to local households. The main boast was about hospitality and how it would have an underground bus drop off point for teams and VIPs. They didn't give a toss about ordinary fans.

It's an actual eyesore.
Should be bulldozed.
As for trying to get away from Hampden, lol.

I'm (un)lucky enough to live within walking distance of Hampden. I would have thought with 2 stations within 10 minutes walk and less than a mile from the motorway at Polmadie transport links would be decent. What are the problems on match days?

Getting from Polmadie to the motorway can easily take an hour.

Reactions: WBD
The only reason it has not been knocked down, is 100% sentimental bull.

Fans are ripped off paying expensive prices, which only a tiny percentage get a decent view of the game.

It is a nightmare getting into the area by coach, car or train.

It's an even bigger nightmare getting home from all of the above. I stay in Wemyss Bay and we got home quicker from Murrayfield when we played Hearts there than we do from Hampden.

The sad thing is there is absolute ZERO chance it will be changed in any meaningful shape or form :(

It was such a dump by the early 90s they had to do something. They got a grant off the Government that let them build a roof over the big enclosure and C****c end and seat them. Then they got the grant from the Millennium Commission to do the rest. They should have waited until they had enough funding and bulldozed the whole lot, moved the pitch slightly south. They could then have got rid of the bowl shape, built the stands the same height and increased the rake of the seating. I don't think they can build the North Stand any higher because of the houses across Somerville Dr.
When they did the renovations they sent a quarterly newsletter to local households. The main boast was about hospitality and how it would have an underground bus drop off point for teams and VIPs. They didn't give a toss about ordinary fans.
This is spot on, what is also often forgotten is that having made those ''renovations'' in particular citing turnstiles at the top of the stairs at the East end of the stadium, they then had to demolish them, move them back down to ground level on the insistence of UEFA for the 2002 Champions League Final. That is the reason all of those seats are empty for Bertie's rocket in the LCSF of that year. In short the whole project has been a badly thought out cobbled together cluster f#ck over decades.

SFA and SRU should just come together, sell off their stadiums and build one single multi-use stadium that is capable of not only hosting Rugby and Football but other events like Boxing, WWE, NFL etc.

Obviously the big issue is where to put it but still Scotland needs an up to date stadium with all the facilities that can attract major industries to come here instead of London or Cardiff.
Why would the SRU sell Murrayfield? It’s an excellent stadium in a great location.

Back