Our new tactic at goal kicks?

Swally

Guys, what’s the thoughts about when we are taking goal kicks now? We have Connor and Tav on the edge of the six yard box and Alan gives it to one of them. Is this to try and invite the opposition closer in order to create a gap in the middle? It gives me the fear, I’d rather we were on the edge of the 18 yard box or further forward. Thoughts?

We’ve been doing it all season & scored numerous goals from it, Gala springs to mind.

It’s to draw the opposition out & free up space, so we can get the ball up to one of the front three, who can then lay it into the space for the others.

It’s a grand way of keeping possession, we haven’t lost any goals from it & scored countless. It allows us to break the press, or draw deep lying teams like Aberdeen onto us & create space we don’t normally get.

It’s not new, & it’s here to stay mate :)

gives me the fear a little bit too, but the one thing i would criticise mcgregor for is his distribution. at least this way we definitely get the ball from our goal kicks

We’ve been doing it all season & scored numerous goals from it, Gala springs to mind.

It’s to draw the opposition out & free up space, so we can get the ball up to one the front three who can then lay it into the space for the others.

It’s a grand way of keeping possession, we haven’t lost any goals from it & scored countless.

I’ve not missed a game this season and it’s certainly new. Just gives me the fear that when the opposition close in we might make a mistake and we don’t have enough cover.

I’ve not missed a game this season and it’s certainly new. Just gives me the fear that when the opposition close in we might make a mistake and we don’t have enough cover.
I’m not sure how you can think it’s new, it isn’t.

But hey-ho, the way it operates by law of averages we will fck up once.

The positives of keeping possession rather than playing a percentage ball certainly outweigh the risks IMO.

As he says we did this exact same move in the EL qualifier v Galatasaray. Resulted in Tav scoring our 2nd goal.

We've been doing it since the beginning of the season. All good teams do it. The alternative is punting it to alfie/kent/hagi who will 90% of the time lose headers. We've scored a few fantastic goals from it as well (galatasaray and Benfica) and its not cost us.

It's definitely not new. Ive commented on it before, probably about September.
The main principle is that if you pass to your teammate you will have the ball 100% of the time. (You obviously then have to have the ability to pass on from there).
If you launch it you'll maybe get the ball 50% of the time (probably less for a technical team in a physical league like Scotland).
Since we have good football players, having the ball 100% of the time is preferable.

Guys, what’s the thoughts about when we are taking goal kicks now? We have Connor and Tav on the edge of the six yard box and Alan gives it to one of them. Is this to try and invite the opposition closer in order to create a gap in the middle? It gives me the fear, I’d rather we were on the edge of the 18 yard box or further forward. Thoughts?
Better doing that,than letting Shagger constantly kick the ball back the
opposition.;)

Its defo not new mate.

quite a few of our last games teams are trying to combat us playing out and are pushing right up when we have a goal kick.

When they were doing it against scum in 1st half it was doing my head in as they were closing us down and penning us in.
Also get the fear that someone will slip and allow opposition player in

I get what you are all saying but I would prefer them to be a bit further out. Mind you, shows what I know eh?

Personally I like it. Draws the opposition in leaves space in the middle we then exploit that space ana before you know it we’re up the park with them chasing.

This and Aberdeen being down to 10 helped us have more secure possession and them have less men back defending once we broke the press.Kent made some good inroads today getting ball deeper and starting attacks.I think Tom on Rtv commentary said we missed Arfield on the half turn breaking the press but others did it well when ball was worked from back to midfield.

Gave me the fear at 1-2 when They did it with 5 mins to go. I get it but like anything, teams are picking up on it. Last Saturday, eyes shit at some points

We;ve done it all season, McGregor to Goldson to Tav up to Alfredo. If they press too much Goldson plays it long, up to Alfredo. We also do, to Balogun to Borna (which is used a lot less).

We scored a goal in Europa this year from this very move.

We;ve done it all season, McGregor to Goldson to Tav up to Alfredo. If they press too much Goldson plays it long, up to Alfredo. We also do, to Balogun to Borna (which is used a lot less).

We scored a goal in Europa this year from this very move.

Just to add, we only recently started to miss out Tav, but that has been games that he's been pressed.

Bayern Munich were doing it the other night as well. I like it but not at every goal kick, there's times a quick ball up the pitch is what's needed.

It’s certainly not new. We have been doing it all season. I don’t always agree with it. There are times I think we should go long, but I like it in the main.

We might - might - concede a goal with a mistake from playing this way.

But we've already scored a few from them, and created all sorts of chances. It was a short goal kick which led to the red card for Bitton as it dragged players into the areas we wanted them to be.

If you get the fear from it, just remember that said fear isn't based on anything logical. Quite often that's how football fans operate, it's about emotion more than reason.

I get what you are all saying but I would prefer them to be a bit further out. Mind you, shows what I know eh?
The whole reason they are at the goal-line is that the opposition are pushing up field. They can't just go a bit further out, there's an opponent standing there.

It’s to draw the opposition out & free up space, so we can get the ball up to one of the front three, who can then lay it into the space for the others.

It’s a grand way of keeping possession, we haven’t lost any goals from it & scored countless. It allows us to break the press, or draw deep lying teams like Aberdeen onto us & create space we don’t normally get.

Cant remember if it started at a goal kick or not but last weeks red card was form the same move we play every week. Like you said play it short tav up the line for the forward. Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

When they were doing it against scum in 1st half it was doing my head in as they were closing us down and penning us in.
Also get the fear that someone will slip and allow opposition player in
It was how we got the ball to Alfie for the red card

goalie to Conor to Tav, whipped down the line ......end of

I don’t mind it so long as our defenders play it smart and Goldson never reverts back to his try hard Beckenbauer ways of attempting to be too clever.

it’s a good way of freeing up a bit of space in behind if you can move the ball quickly and incisively enough and our defenders are all very good on the ball so why not utilise it? It’s better than Shagger just giving them possession and it’s not like the days where we tried to play out from the back with diddies like Kiernan who weren’t good enough to play that sort of game.

It terrifies me. Kick it up the pitch. Now and again pass out but your asking for trouble if it's the same routine every goal kick. But. It's working.

It's basically our way of combating the tactic of the opposition parking the bus.

If you think back to the end of last season/ beginning of this season when teams were sitting in against us (low block :rolleyes: ) it was murder trying to break them down, and it was driving us all nuts. We were getting more and more frustrated at the players, screaming at them to shoot from outside the box.

This tactic seems to have worked as the opposition can't help themselves, they see us passing the ball around our 6 yard box and think they are in with a chance, but as soon as they stretch the play we cut right through them.

Notable exception recently was when Motherwell went ahead and then didn't leave their own half because they thought they could hold onto a 1-0 lead for 85 minutes.

I think it's understandable that it gives rangers supporters the fear. Because we have rarely , if ever, had a team that is a cohesive unit, well drilled, great shape, know what they're doing and play two touch football.

It will take a while for the fearful ones to realise they ain't watching broadfoot anymore. This team and coaching staff know what they're doing lads.

Its one of the reasons we have such high possession of the ball and low shots against us. It all adds up. We've been doing it for a while. Why give possession back to the opposition by a lump up field when we can clearly keep the ball this way.

I know. But like I said. It's terrifying. I admitted they know their stuff. I trust the players and staff but at the same time fear the worst.
I understand the philosophy but recognise its not got to be set in stone. Lauch it now and again, never know mite get lucky.
I'm on this site too often. Picking holes wheres they're ain't any.
1 game at a time. It's happening. Even wae 2 touch kickouts.

Back