Our new tactic at goal kicks?

I know. But like I said. It's terrifying. I admitted they know their stuff. I trust the players and staff but at the same time fear the worst.
We have players now who aren’t the same “big names” of the past. But I’d argue they are collectively more comfortable with the ball at their feet. Passing, movement and close control is a joy to behold at times when we are on form - compared to days old tactics (especially in Europe) of “clear your lines!” which gave the ball away more often than not.

Yes, there’s times you’ve to boot it. Sometimes when a team presses us well, we have to resort to it to clear danger away. As long as our players know the balance between risk and reward and so far they have done - it’s a clear tactical winner.

I think it's understandable that it gives Rangers supporters the fear. Because we have rarely , if ever, had a team that is a cohesive unit, well drilled, great shape, know what they're doing and play two touch football.

It will take a while for the fearful ones to realise they ain't watching broadfoot anymore. This team and coaching staff know what they're doing lads.

When you mention well drilled it made think of something I've felt for the last few games. This might sound stupid, but our players generally always expect the ball. Though that may be down to focus more. I;ve seen teams where a player receives a pass then returns it and the other player is not expecting it. I think this helps us if it gets tight as well.

We have players now who aren’t the same “big names” of the past. But I’d argue they are collectively more comfortable with the ball at their feet. Passing, movement and close control is a joy to behold at times when we are on form - compared to days old tactics (especially in Europe) of “clear your lines!” which gave the ball away more often than not.

Yes, there’s times you’ve to boot it. Sometimes when a team presses us well, we have to resort to it to clear danger away. As long as our players know the balance between risk and reward and so far they have done - it’s a clear tactical winner.
I also watched leizpeig vs dortmund game sat night. Different level of the same tactic.

I understand the philosophy but recognise its not got to be set in stone. Lauch it now and again, never know mite get lucky.
I'm on this site too often. Picking holes wheres they're ain't any.
1 game at a time. It's happening. Even wae 2 touch kickouts.

Thats for other teams, like the sheep, punt it long and hope for the best. Punt it long today from McGregor and one of their CH's is firing right back to us. Though pull them out a bit goldson can play the ball like he did to Kent.

Isn't new, where you been? And it's fine against the teams that sit in,brings them out or they hand us possession every single time. The choice is theirs.

When you mention well drilled it made think of something I've felt for the last few games. This might sound stupid, but our players generally always expect the ball. Though that may be down to focus more. I;ve seen teams where a player receives a pass then returns it and the other player is not expecting it. I think this helps us if it gets tight as well.
That’s part of my post as well, our players are visibly now more confident and comfortable to receive and play with the ball in crowded situations and then look for a pass. That’s coaching and confidence as well as the obvious skill.

Do you know what I like about this team, they will boot it out. Warburton for example want to play football, so the players tried too much at times. Gerrard wants to play football, but he obviously lets the team boot it to fuk as well.

At the risk of jinxing it and us conceding from this tactic next week, the worst case scenario is that we over play it and it ends up being humped out for a throw in. There has been times where it hasn't worked, we've under hit the pass out etc but generally it gets knocked straight back to McGregor who abandons plan and lashes it away and out for a throw. Best case scenario we score (e.g Gala at home)...

Guys, what’s the thoughts about when we are taking goal kicks now? We have Connor and Tav on the edge of the six yard box and Alan gives it to one of them. Is this to try and invite the opposition closer in order to create a gap in the middle? It gives me the fear, I’d rather we were on the edge of the 18 yard box or further forward. Thoughts?
It’s not new and it’s the 2 central defenders the full backs are wider and higher

Guys, what’s the thoughts about when we are taking goal kicks now? We have Connor and Tav on the edge of the six yard box and Alan gives it to one of them. Is this to try and invite the opposition closer in order to create a gap in the middle? It gives me the fear, I’d rather we were on the edge of the 18 yard box or further forward. Thoughts?

You miss august to December?

done it all season

I’ve not missed a game this season and it’s certainly new. Just gives me the fear that when the opposition close in we might make a mistake and we don’t have enough cover.
Ita absolutely not new mate. Normally Balogun and Goldson flanking McGregor and we play it out from the edge of the 6 yard box. Encourages the opposition to try to close us down and leave gaps in behind. It looks dodgy but generally it's been a success.

I get what you are all saying but I would prefer them to be a bit further out. Mind you, shows what I know eh?
Being doing it all year what we arnt as good at is when the opposition has high press on both cb at edge of box on the full backs and the runners in midfield is switching it up and going long when the opposition is high up the park.

We overly rely on the mcgregor to goldson to tav as well but the other side is we score more often than we should from it so what do I know

New :)) Do people actually watch our games?

I’d rather the keeper got it up the fuckin park, then someone got it in the fuckin boax then someone else put it in the fuckin net.

Enough of this fannyin aboot.

We have been doing it all season and it clearly works. There has been a few thread panicking about this setup for some reason. Look at our stats and then tell us again why you don’t trust it.

Been doin it a long time now and must admit when it first started gave me the fear, but actually been quite an effective method of drawing opposition out to create a bit of space. In Rangers we trust!

Tbh a hate it. As much as we have a great defence it still makes ma turd tunnel twitch.
Would you rather we just launched it up to our 3 wee forwards though? Everything we do is for a reason, everything we don't do is for a reason. Putting the ball in the air is playing into our opponents hands. Of course it'll go long sometimes, but mostly we'll look to keep possession and draw teams up the park.

A few wanting us to hump it long (and almost certainly concede possession) because they're nervous Nellie's. That won't happen. Relax and trust the players like the management do. They've earned that trust.

There are a lot of good posts in this thread that have covered just about everything about the topic but my wee summary would be that I understand the OPs nervousness but it is our new normal.

If, like me, they have been used to Rangers teams of old not having the discipline or touch to carry out this approach successfully, it is both a wee bit nerve-wracking but also a joy to watch and see how far we have evolved under Gerrard.

Finally, from both the defensive and attacking numbers this season, it is obviously working.

Someone posted the stat a couple of month's back that stated the most dangerous move for any team in Scotland this season was to let Rangers start a move in our own half and complete four or more passes. That was more than twice as likely to result in a goal than anything else anyone else was doing.

I hate it, heart in the mouth every time.

It absolutely does my nut in when we go long from a goal kick, just surrenders possession. This way we can retain possession, pull the opposition apart and move the ball up the park with pace and precision by intelligent movement and moving the ball with authority.

McGregor plays into Tav who has two players running to close him down, a quick pass back to Goldson, out to Barišić and we've drawn at least three players out of position.

I’m coming round to it, I can see there is logic behind it although at first I was a signed up member of the Joostgerrituprafuckinpark Loyal.

It absolutely does my nut in when we go long from a goal kick, just surrenders possession. This way we can retain possession, pull the opposition apart and move the ball up the park with pace and precision by intelligent movement and moving the ball with authority.

McGregor plays into Tav who has two players running to close him down, a quick pass back to Goldson, out to Barišić and we've drawn at least three players out of position.

McGregor never plays it to Tav, its always Goldson or the other centre half who then play it to 'their' full back.

It’s certainly not new!

Mate this move literally won us the red card in the game against the Tims, the goal against Gala .. works fine

If something isnt on for Tav it goes long anyway so whats the loss
This, we can always lump it long if there's nothing on. But we'd still be dragging players to us, creating space further up the pitch.
Or if we're being outplayed, we can go go long to gain territory, shift the team and game up the pitch, Ike we did after 20 minutes against the beggars until we started to keep a hold of it better (and they started to tire after pressing so much).
Punting it up the park and giving the ball to our opponents every time we have a goal kick because we're scared to play from the back (or some are scared to watch) isn't the way to play against inferior opposition though.

Gives me the fear. I feel it works well on poorer opposition but if we play against a good side that press then I hate it. I don’t think our players quite grasp it then because 6/10 times it ends up as a panicked punt up the park or we get caught in possession.

After the tippy tapping in the 6yard box it always goes out to the wing, where Tavernier or Barisic sends it further up the wing, usually to a blue jersey. If somebody loses it, we punt it long to get out of trouble. So the risk of us losing a goal from it is very low. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

I’ve not missed a game this season and it’s certainly new. Just gives me the fear that when the opposition close in we might make a mistake and we don’t have enough cover.
We have been doing it all season, we lost a goal to Benfica in the first game against them because we made an arse of it.

Gives me the fear. I feel it works well on poorer opposition but if we play against a good side that press then I hate it. I don’t think our players quite grasp it then because 6/10 times it ends up as a panicked punt up the park or we get caught in possession.
A good side like Galatasaray?

I think the players grasp it just fine, and our ball retention numbers show it.

McGregor never plays it to Tav, its always Goldson or the other centre half who then play it to 'their' full back.

McGregor took a quick goal kick in the 2nd half yesterday in which he rolled it to Tavernier, who then played it across to Goldson who worked it to the left side.

its to retain the ball rather than put it down the park for a 50-50 header that will probably come right back at us.

When they were doing it against scum in 1st half it was doing my head in as they were closing us down and penning us in.
Also get the fear that someone will slip and allow opposition player in
Yip said it during the match thread, the tims pressed us when we were doing it and we ended up penned in at our corner flag, got to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing

Back