People That Change The Team They Support

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
The thread about smelly Spiers got me thinking about this the other day. Everybody knows somebody that has changed the team they support, the worst are obviously jump the dykes.

I know of two particular ones that stick in my mind, I actually saw one of them today for the first time in years. Guy number one was ages with me at school, supported the vermin as did his whole family. He moved to Northern Ireland and I was amazed to see he was a Rangers supporter and was actually in a flute band:eek:
Guy number two had an IRA tattoo and supported Celtic, he's now a Rangers supporter.

Now that I think about it, I actually know more than that, a couple that supported Rangers but now support Killie, and one that supported Hibs but now supports the filth.

Obviously everybody is perfectly entitled to do whatever they want but I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to take any of these guys seriously when it comes to football. You have to wonder what goes on in the minds of these guys, for me your team is always your team, it's not something you can just change at the drop of a hat.
Any other examples? The guys I have mentioned don't go to Rangers games but I'm sure there are some that do.

Sometimes people,especially young people are caught up in family/peer pressure.
When they mature or move on other influences/experiences/ people play a part in how they see the world and they change.
I don’t understand it with football but it’s obviously a thing that must happen.

I remember sitting in the broomloan rear years ago, I think it was the inter Milan game. Two rows in front was a lad a year older than me who I knew was a thim. He said it was his uncles ticket and he couldn’t make it and he just fancied sampling the atmosphere and supporting a Scottish team in Europe. I found it strange but he was being genuine and this was pre 2012.

I shiver at the thought of doing the same as him at their hovel.

Knew a guy that was a diehard Falkirk fan, then jumped to the bheggars for a few years and now he supports Rangers o_O he isn't the sharpest tool in the box mind you.

I've always known this phenomenon to be exclusively (so-called) Rangers fans switching allegiance to them. Never the other way about.

Arseholes to a man.

I can’t think of many adults who do that. I think it’s fairly common in kids, especially ones whose dads aren’t huge football fans but I simply can’t get my head round a fully grown adult who can do that. For me, once you have an emotional attachment to any one club then that should be it regardless.

Coming from forfar I knew quite a lot of Dundee Utd,Aberdeen and Dundee fans who became rangers supporters when souness arrived and would wax lyrical about being a true blue and hoping those of us who had been going to Ibrox pre souness would some how forget.

There are two that I managed to convert into Rangers fans, The first was a class mate at school. He was a Thistle fan like his Dad & we used to go to Firhill together when Rangers played away (I wasn't allowed to go to away games at that age). We would both go to Ibrox when we were at home & even though we saw the Thistle hammer the scum at Hampden in the 1971 League Cup Final he eventually came round to my way of thinking. He was a season ticket holder , but I lost touch with him & don't know if he still goes. The other was a work colleague who was a Jambo. He did have leanings towards us though, until eventually he turned and became a full blown Bluenose. Used to go on the same supporters bus ,but sad to say he is no longer with us.

I remember sitting in the broomloan rear years ago, I think it was the inter Milan game. Two rows in front was a lad a year older than me who I knew was a thim. He said it was his uncles ticket and he couldn’t make it and he just fancied sampling the atmosphere and supporting a Scottish team in Europe. I found it strange but he was being genuine and this was pre 2012.

I shiver at the thought of doing the same as him at their hovel.
There is just no way I could ever do that the other way around and I suspect I speak for everyone on here (lurkers aside) in saying so.

Sometimes people,especially young people are caught up in family/peer pressure.
When they mature or move on other influences/experiences/ people play a part in how they see the world and they change.
I don’t understand it with football but it’s obviously a thing that must happen.

This happend in my family my Grandad was a football fan and would go to Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Dunfermline games. This would be during the 50s-70s He ended up exclusively following us in his later years. Warring siblings ended up with my Dad’s younger brother going to the dark side as a result of the friends he kept.

This kinda peaked at high school in the early 1980's....too many tadgers changing to Dundee Utd/Aberdeen.....never known anyone to change from us to them,or vice versa...I knew one guy that supported them as a GIRUY to his Dad who was heavily involved in the Orange Order.......he was a prick.

Is it just me, or is there no way you could just ‘change’ the team you support?! Unless your 6 right enough, you were never really a supporter in the first place

When changing teams it must be hard to talk with their new fellow fans about best moments and other memories supporting your team brings.

Knew one from Falkirk,big Rangers man growing and hardly missed a game.
He got involved with a family of bheggers and the next thing i know hes supporting them.

One the biggest poets I'd ever met who's mrs was a Thistle fan. His pal he went to the scum games with had a snog with her one night and by the next time I met him he was a full blown Jag.

The same guy told me that a guy I knew who was a mate of a mate who was a bear had previous been scum fan, he gave him utter peltors for this. Strange all together.

Knew brothers one supportes Rangers the other the scum and now both support the Farts

Got a mate who supports Sunderland. He was born there to native Mackems. His family moved north to just outside glasgow but he still went to quite a few games with his old man. Took him to a few league games at Ibrox and now hes a big bluenose and on to his third season ticket. Sunderland result will be the second one he looks for now.

I knew a family who had Rangers season tickets and chucked it all for Livingston when they started up. Then became fairly anti Rangers.

Also hate when people refer to their 2nd team as 'we' read it on Facebook all the time from fellow rangers fans talking about their English clubs and it's weird behaviour. Always thought Rangers was more than enough.

I know one guy who for years always wore the Celtic strip up the park on a Sunday afternoon when we were having a game fitba.

He subsequently became a Rangers supporter and has now been going to the games every week now for a number of years. He also joined the Orange Lodge.

Just depended on who his pals were at the time.

There's quite a few that move over to the Piggery dwellers when they get married or live with one of them. They're usually the bitterest and worst turncoat scum in existence.
I had a really good friend who I’d known since primary school like this. We used to go to games together, he had a season ticket in a different part of the ground to me but we’d meet up for a drink before and after in the Rolls Royce club. He even had King Billy tattooed on his lower arm.

Then he got with It. First thing that went was the season ticket, the tattoo was covered up with some Celtic (Keltic) thing and then on his Facebook he posing in a filth top saying it’s what he’s always been and is proud and posting and sharing vile IRA and anti Rangers stuff. I’m glad I have nothing to do with the prick anymore and if our paths meet I’ll simply not acknowledge him.

Had a mate growing up in Canada who was a huge Gazza fan so supported Rangers. Once Gazza left it fizzled. Obviously he was never a proper fan and didn't grow up in a Rangers family or anything, but I was surprised he completely abandoned ship as he never missed game before Gazza left.

There was a guy at my school who was a massive Thistle fan - he took dogs abuse for it for years and then in 1994, when Celtic were playing at Hampden, he suddenly becomes a Bheggar and is one of the nastiest, bitterest mentally challengeds imaginable.

Similar with an Aberdeen fan at school who is now a Bheggar and a right nasty one with it.

I know a few Killie fans who migrated to Rangers over the years.

My old man is a Bheggar and took me there as a youngster - I never took to it and beyond taking me to matches he didn’t really push things... thank God we moved across the road from a my best mate as a kid, who was a Rangers fan that showed me his programmes and over the course of about a year I was “turned” :D

The Scottish Man Utd ''fans'' really are the most embarrassing. I'm sure most of us have met one or two of them over the years. I find it hard to take them serious.

I know 2 of them, not right. 1 of them did also say he was a Rangers fan aswell. Then he ends up going to celtic v Man U game when Nakamura scored and was telling everyone how good the atmosphere was etc. Got slated and rightly so. Denied he liked Rangers previously and kept saying he was a Man U fan. I couldn't ever change team.

I have a mate who supports them but I have been in his company for many big European games and he openly supports us on those nights.

When wee Neil McCann out us 1-0 up in Feyenoord he shouted “yesssssss” loudest out of me and the rest of my mates who were all season ticket holders at the time. That might read like me and my mates were reserved but the reality is this boy needed scraped off the ceiling!!!

The compliment is never paid back to him by any of us. I always found it odd behaviour from him but it’s harmless.

Best decision I ever made, going to the match that day instead of their wedding. Even better when I heard later that they were saying their vows as wee Novo stuck away the penalty to make it 3-0.
Let's just say a certain bro let it be known that the ball hit the back of the net;)

Sorry I just don't get it...your team is your team. You might have a soft spot for another team but that is as far as it should go. One allegiance only!

Primary school kids I can understand but only to an extent.

Can’t understand adults who switch.

Used to work with a fairly senior guy who states he is a Rangers fan but has season tickets and takes his kids to the Piggery because they’re Celtic fans.

Can’t get my head around that either to be honest

I think I only really know kids who have changed teams.

My Granda, the reason I support Rangers, used to go between Newcastle and Sunderland before falling in love with Rangers thanks to mates he met on National Service. Wasn't really changing his team, he just found the one he prefered.

When my father was a young lad he supported Celtic, had the strip and everything, all his friends at school supported them and my grandfather only had a passing interest in the Rangers.

Well my great uncle bob took him to Ibrox to straighten him out and as soon as he was home everything green and white went in the bin. And thank %^*& for that :D

The thread about smelly Spiers got me thinking about this the other day. Everybody knows somebody that has changed the team they support, the worst are obviously jump the dykes.

I know of two particular ones that stick in my mind, I actually saw one of them today for the first time in years. Guy number one was ages with me at school, supported the vermin as did his whole family. He moved to Northern Ireland and I was amazed to see he was a Rangers supporter and was actually in a flute band:eek:
Guy number two had an IRA tattoo and supported Celtic, he's now a Rangers supporter.

Now that I think about it, I actually know more than that, a couple that supported Rangers but now support Killie, and one that supported Hibs but now supports the filth.

Obviously everybody is perfectly entitled to do whatever they want but I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to take any of these guys seriously when it comes to football. You have to wonder what goes on in the minds of these guys, for me your team is always your team, it's not something you can just change at the drop of a hat.
Any other examples? The guys I have mentioned don't go to Rangers games but I'm sure there are some that do.

Couldn’t be trusted as far as you could throw them!

Sorry I just don't get it...your team is your team. You might have a soft spot for another team but that is as far as it should go. One allegiance only!
Too True. Having a soft spot for another teams fine if it's in a different country.
Soft spot for Portsmouth (where I live ).
Pre Season friendly down here few years ago. Bastards beat us 2 nil. No soft spot for them that day!

I wouldn't trust anyone who over the age of 12, changes their allegiances within their won country. I know a few. They have either married bitter poets or left wingers ( often both go hand in hand ) and become the worst kind of ex smokers in regards to Rangers.

Used to hang about with a guy who had Italian parents and he leaned towards the filth growing up.
He joined the army and got posted to Ulster in the 80’s/ 90’s
Now he hates them with as much passion as anyone on this board and follows the Bears.

I don't think Spiers has changed his team, he just took a neutral stance due to his job. If he wasn't such a bullshitting, shit-stirring wanker, you could actually have respect for his stance (maybe... probably... nah).

I knew one guy who grew up supporting Rangers, then in 1st year switched to Celtic because the school he went to.

Back