People That Change The Team They Support

A general rule for most team sports ,football ,baseball,NHL and NFL .You are born supporting a team and die supporting that team .Anyone who deviates from this is less of a man

I’ll be honest.

My dad and papa were Motherwell fans, but my papa was old and my dad was a shift worker in the steel works. There was just no way for us to go to the football.

So, my uncle on the other side and my cousins papa (stay with me, uncles dad), took me to Ibrox for the first time in the late 80’s. We went regularly, but when Motherwell got to the Scottish Cup Final in 91, my dad got tickets and had the best day out with my auld man. Ian Angus, Phil O’Donnell, Stevie Kirk, Ally Maxwell and Luc Nijholt all became my heroes and I ‘supported’ Motherwell for a wee while. 6 months maybe. I was 10. But it never had the pull and the feeling of the Gers.

I was a kid, and I’ll forgive myself the hiccup. Adults who change....... don’t understand football.

I know a couple of lads who were Thistle fans when we were at school in the 80s, now both are Rangers supporters.

This kinda peaked at high school in the early 1980's....too many tadgers changing to Dundee Utd/Aberdeen.....never known anyone to change from us to them,or vice versa...I knew one guy that supported them as a GIRUY to his Dad who was heavily involved in the Orange Order.......he was a prick.

I experienced this as well, amazing the amount of Sheep and utd fans in a wee west coast town in 1982 :rolleyes:

It mighty amuse to learn that when involved with the RST, I had a few exchanges with Smears, including one conducted via email where, in response to my most gentle goading he mentioned '....and me spending all those years on the Ibrox slopes'.

He went Tonto at the end of said exchange when I said, 'whatever you might have been in the past, you're certainly not that now'. and told me not to contact him again; which, obviously, I, er, fully respected.....

Lo and behold, turns out I was bang on the money.

Quel surprise.

I changed when I was 7 years old. My old man took me to Celtc park and when he changed jobs, he couldn't take me so much. An uncle from the good side of the family, took me to Ibrox as a 7 year old and I loved it. Never looked back. 35 years season ticket holder now.

My mate who hitchiked to Sweden and Denmark and went home and away with me for years in the early seventies married a devout catholic. Her family were all rabid followers of the scum. I knew he took his son to Parkhead for a wee while. Hadn't seen him for 24 years. When we met he told me he had converted his religion. His family were really middle class Kirk attendees so I was shocked. He knows me better than to discuss football any more but his son is a scum fan. I don't think he goes anymore as his son is now married

My mate who hitchiked to Sweden and Denmark and went home and away with me for years in the early seventies married a devout catholic. Her family were all rabid followers of the scum. I knew he took his son to Parkhead for a wee while. Hadn't seen him for 24 years. When we met he told me he had converted his religion. His family were really middle class Kirk attendees so I was shocked. He knows me better than to discuss football any more but his son is a scum fan. I don't think he goes anymore as his son is now married
That is. tragic, absolutely tragic. He obviously isn't the full shilling.

When I was 5, Partick pumped the poets in the LC Final and my postman at the time Bobby Lawrie scored and for about a week I was a Jag :D

Took a Motherwell supporting mate to a Rangers away game about 5/6 years ago. Big Rangers man now

However, saying that I can not imagine how someone could just stop supporting us. Couldn't of been true fans to begin with

A few guys around my age, 49, joined the army and I knew them to be Septic supporters. Speaking to them recently they've adopted Hivs as their team due to the way the filth treat British soldiers and their whole poppy stance.

American sports fans so not the same thing, but I know a guy from Pittsburgh who was a Steelers/Penguins fan, his girlfriend from Washington a Redskins/Capitals fan. When they got married they agreed to support the same teams so now they're now both Steelers/Capitals fans.

I lost a bit of respect for him.

My brother told me about a guy he used to work with and was a rangers season ticket holder. A few years down the line theve both moved jobs and meet by chance in the street , guy then tells him hes now a season ticket holder at parkhead! :eek:

Story has it my brother just turned and walked away from him:D

Never met anyone who has ever done this ... Got a couple of mates who are journos for the Sunday Liam .. Aberdeen fans allegedly .. Lol

Was just discussing this subject with a Dutch mate last night (big PSV fan). Neither of us could understand how anyone can change teams.

There was a guy at my school who went from Rangers (9 in a row years) to Killie (when they won the Scottish cup in 97) to Celtic (when they stopped 10iar) back to Killie (when Celtic were shite under Dr Jo then Barnes) and then finally back to Celtic (O'Neill). All of this in a relatively short period of time. Needless to say he wasn't the sharpest tool on the shed.

He 'added' me on Facebook a few year back and his page was full of I.R.A pish so he must still be a Tim. He used to be a Rangers fan FFS!

No bigger zealot than a convert.

My uncle took me to Fir Park several times in the late 60's/early 70's but my dad had taken me to Ibrox and I had fallen in love. Sounds daft, but the essence os smoke, drink, seething humanity and sheer brotherhood had me intocicated. I've been hooked ever since and as soon as I start walking towards Edminston drive am as hooked today as I was at 4 years old.

My local priest used to be Celtic but now has an unhealthy interest in Young Boys .......... of Bern, Wankdorf is his new paradise.

A boy I used to hang around with when I was a teenager. From a good cos background played the flute in a band etc etc. Now one bitter mhanky bastard one of the sellick fru n fru types now. Can't even stomach talking to him these days. It's something I will never understand how folk can jump the dyke.

Lad I know used to support Celtic until very recently, now claims to support Hearts and wears a Jambos top around.

He also supports Liverpool.

Anyone who changes their footballing allegiances always makes me immediately suspicious of them. Like non-drinkers. Only worse ;)

The Scottish Man Utd ''fans'' really are the most embarrassing. I'm sure most of us have met one or two of them over the years. I find it hard to take them serious.
I know a Man United "fan", as you put it that has been to one Man United game his whole life. I understand it's not exactly a weekly day out, but this is a guy in his 30s that has only seen his team play once. Not a really supporter if you ask me.

Mate I've known for years who was long time season ticket holder in the copland. Took me to a couple of Rangers - Celtic games during the McCleish days.

Got a job with them several years ago and is now 100% one of them...full on sevco pish chat and more.

I can't talk to him about football any longer. He has nothing of value to offer any longer.

At school in the 80s everyone was an Aberdeen / Dundee united / motherwell / celtic fan. Very few rangers but that changed soon enough.

my brothers father -in-law

Rangers season ticket holder
married a catholic, converted and now is a season ticket holder at Yahooland

on my brothers stag weekend (magaluf) we watched the EPL games in a local bar
him and his pal went to Santa Provo, in full Yahoo kit to watch the filth play

Growing up one of my mates was Airdrie , as was his brother, one Thistle , as was his brother as well and one Aberdeen.

All were Rangers supporters by the time we hit high school , there was also a guy who played up the park on a Sunday with a mockit top , with Dalglish on the back , he ended up a Rangers season ticket holder as well .

There's a wee weirdo in my work who used to wear a Rangers top under his work clothes, he know has a season ticket for the piggery, he's 35 years of age ffs.

My Dad comes from a predominantly Celtic supporting family. My grandad (now passed) and my dads older brother both supported Celtic, while my dads younger brother has supported Man City - there’s a strange connection to Asa Hartford that I can’t quite remember. When I was younger my grandad always wanted “the Glasgow teams to win”, but I could never really buy into that myself. My dad followed Scotland more than any club side but grew up with Rangers supporting mates and went to games with them, then lived on Copland Road before I was born. I think his man-crush on Souness is the main reason I’ve grown up a Bear. We had a season ticket together while I was a teenager so there’s no doubting where his loyalties lie, although he did want them to win in Seville which I couldn’t understand at the time. Hates them with a passion now and would probably still have a season ticket if work commitments allowed.

There’s nobody close to me or that I can remember from school/work that have turned from Rangers to them or vice versa. Heard of a guy who switched from Celtic to St Mirren because “it means more when they win”.

Knew a guy that was a poet fan who then choose to follow rangers. He now takes his sons to killie games

I’d tend to be suspicious of people who changed allegiances.

I can understand it from kids, and even from an older generation to an extent when you didnt have so many televised games and the internet etc to keep upto speed, if they had to relocate and started following the local team.

Any adult in the modern day who switches allegencies especially as crazy a switch between us and the crash barriers aren't fans in the first place, they are followers who follow who ever they keep company with. I cannot comprehend supporting them in any way shape or form.

No real fan switches. Actually no real fan even chooses, its something you are born into without a choice or second thought.

To quote Eric Cantona
“You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team.”

My family are Rangers fans as far back as I can go.
I know my grandparents on both sides were.
I go to Ibrox with my two eldest brothers and one other of my brothers is a Rangers fan. Those of us who have kids are also gers fans.
However the brother above me stopped supporting us when our troubles began when Whyte took over and started supporting Morton.
His two sons one is Rangers mad and posts on here however his brother is now a Celtic supporter. He wasn’t as a kid.
For the life of me I can’t understand this.

Forgot to add when we were younger when we all played football, said brother would wear an old Celtic top to wind up my elder brothers and my dad, never worked though as it was just seen as attention seeking.

Boy and his brother that went to school with me both used to be Gers season ticket holders.

Met them for the first time in a few years last week and, wait for it, one is now a Liverpool fan and the other now Man Utd.

When they told me that I just shook my head and walked away.

You really couldn't make that up and I'll certainly never waste breath on the throbbers again.

If my son grows up to ever be a celtic fan then i'll have failed as a parent. Saying that it's easier over here to show him the right path, he'll likely not meet a celtic fan until he's into his teens.

Grew up with a boy who supported Rangers up until he went to secondary school, then changed to the mhanks. The Rangers connection was that his Dad was Alex McDonald’s cousin. He was raised a catholic though and went to Catholic schools so the pressure no doubt eventually got too much.

The only other time i’ve known it was a guy I worked with who was a Partick Thistle fan. Then I clocked him at Ibrox a couple of years later. Asked him why he’d changed to Rangers, and he said his Dad brought him up Jags but he always really liked the Gers. Seen him again not long after at the twelth club in Dennistoun before a parade. Turned out he had joined a FB as well.

My dad was a Third Lanark fan, started following us when they went bust. Although I do think deep down he was always a bear...

My dad and all his family were Thirds fans but lost heart when their version of Craig Whyte took over at Cathkin, when they went under he never took to following any other team although he still liked to go to the Junior Cup Final every year. I was probably a bit of a disappointment not to follow Third Lanark but he made the mistake of taking me to Ibrox to see the Hi Hi's playing Rangers and Rangers stuffed them 5-1 and I was hooked there and then:)

If Rangers had gone under I think that I'd be the same, maybe go to a few Rob Roy games and just support any team who played against the scum.o_O

W.A.T.P.

Friend of mine used to live south of England but was an Everton fan. He moved to Scotland and started supporting dunfermline but then realised how keech they were and reverted to Everton. Claims he has always supported the toffees and never changed even though he had a season ticket at East end park. Easy wind up to ask him which team he supports this week

This sounds harsh to me unless he renounced Everton along the way. I can totally understand someone picking up on a local team after moving away, for the sake of getting along to a game at the weekend.

There's a boy i know in his late 20's who had supported St Mirren since childhood, a few months ago he started seeing this heefer of a bird who also happens to be a ST holder at Celtic Park and now he goes on a regular basis. He sings all the songs, posts all the chants on FB and is now a massive SNP'er.

I used to class him as a mate but i cannot trust a guy at that age who can switch allegiances so quickly, it instantly makes me question his morales especially after all the sh*t i used to hear him say about them and us.

A bit of a shifty character.

I understand kids changing their team. Most follow what their mates do at a certain age and wear whatever strip they're given.

I have little cousins who'd wear Liverpool, Chelsea, Man.u.

Any older than 12/13 then it's just weird.

I have a mate who started life as a Hibs fan :eek: on the west coast. It was back in the late 60's / early 70's when Hibs actually had a decent side. I think he did it to be contrary. Something that he felt made him different in a almost totally bluenose area.

Anyway, finally convinced him to come to an OF game with us at the piggery and got him a Rangers scarf before the game. The game, Willie Johnston takes the throw in, Miller takes the volley. Bedlam ensues. The lad has been coming with me every week since then .. LOL We have forgiven him his indiscretion as a kid :D

I also have another mate whose old man played for Dundee and who grew up supporting Dundee. Moved down here a long while ago and now claims to be a Motherwell "fan". Bizarre behaviour o_O

As well as not changing teams, unless there's a good reason (like he didnt care about football or he was a yahoo) a fan should support the same team as their dad.

Anything else is like rejecting your old man.

I changed school in P5 in the 80's, when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were success and we were shit.
Everyone at my new school supported Aberdeen, when they asked me who I supported I said Rangers.
Couple of days later one of them came up to me and said quietly "I actually support Rangers too" :D

By P7 everyone was a Rangers fan ;)

I remember in school I used to walk home with this guy who was a massive Rangers fan. He has a Rangers room with wallpaper, bed sheets and lampshades all Rangers themed. I'm sure he even had a cover for his light switches that has a Rangers badge on it!

Anyway, we were walking home one day and I started to talk about the Gers. He told me that he was now a Dundee United fan. I kinda feel bad about this now but I went mental with the abuse. He was a big boy and I was calling him a fat so and so and telling him where to go. We live in Dundee so I guess I felt like he'd deserted the small amount of Rangers fans or whatever.

We were only 14 at the time though. I don't think he bothers with football anymore.

Back