People That Change The Team They Support

There's a few posters on here who have posted about their kids not really wanting to support Rangers anymore but teams in England and abroad. I am sure this doesn't only happen to us in this country, it#s probably to do with the likes of FIFA and how easily available to view any European football online these days(especially compared to Scottish football)it also doesn't help our case we haven't exactly been a winning side in recent years. Kids are glory hunters for most part and easily influenced by friends and feel left out otherwise.

I know a guy from a few years ago who claimed he didn't support teams but players. His favourite player was Steven Gerrard ,his second was Del Piero and he had a third which i can't remember. Not that two of them played for many clubs or that but it is still kind of strange to me

Worth a read at a book titled "heartfelt" written by a hibee journo who followed herts for a season . He struggled at away match at easter road with all around him singing "tony mowbry has a monkeys heid" but generally found the eperience not too bad, enjoying going to matches with his fellow supporters having a beer or two and genral patter. In short its as much about the experience , friendships and fun as the team supported.

remember at school certain people going from Rangers to sheep fans briefly...glory hunters, and i was only aware of 4 who were presbyterian but supported the rhats....2 fell out with football completely and got into music, the others were 2 of the most bitter rhat bastards ive met!

My boy knows it a family thing and will pass it on to his kids hopefully, he’s only 9 though so a few years yet, he likes Man City but knows his Heart is with Rangers.

The thread about smelly Spiers got me thinking about this the other day. Everybody knows somebody that has changed the team they support, the worst are obviously jump the dykes.

I know of two particular ones that stick in my mind, I actually saw one of them today for the first time in years. Guy number one was ages with me at school, supported the vermin as did his whole family. He moved to Northern Ireland and I was amazed to see he was a Rangers supporter and was actually in a flute band:eek:
Guy number two had an IRA tattoo and supported Celtic, he's now a Rangers supporter.

Now that I think about it, I actually know more than that, a couple that supported Rangers but now support Killie, and one that supported Hibs but now supports the filth.

Obviously everybody is perfectly entitled to do whatever they want but I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to take any of these guys seriously when it comes to football. You have to wonder what goes on in the minds of these guys, for me your team is always your team, it's not something you can just change at the drop of a hat.
Any other examples? The guys I have mentioned don't go to Rangers games but I'm sure there are some that do.

I have a fellow Luton Town FC supporting mate, Protestant who has a Scottish Mum and his late Dad was from Ulster. He rebelled as a youngster because he didn't like being TOLD to support Rangers (unlike me, who thank god I DID take notice of what my Scots Dad & Grandparents drummed into me) - so he chose to follow the Yahoos.

For many years he always supported THEM instead of, and against us. I'll never forget the ribbing I took from him when Gothenburg beat us 3-0 in the Champs League Qualifiers.

Yet within a year or so after meeting my crowd of Kilsyth Bears when they came down to Luton for my 40th party, he suddenly changed and saw the light. Became a fanatical Ger following us abroad with our crowd and between 2002 -04 was coming up to Ibrox even more than me.

He's still a Bear. I don't get to see him that much nowadays as he did a bit of the dirty on me with money, at Porto in 2005. Though I did see him at Derby a couple of years ago and at Sheff Wed in the summer.

Nowt queer as folk they say.

Last edited:
Got a mate who supports Sunderland. He was born there to native Mackems. His family moved north to just outside glasgow but he still went to quite a few games with his old man. Took him to a few league games at Ibrox and now hes a big bluenose and on to his third season ticket. Sunderland result will be the second one he looks for now.

I think having two teams from different countries is acceptable. I'm a prime example I love both Luton AND Rangers.

People fal out of love with and leave their wife. Trade her for one who performs better and receives more acclaim.

But that’s ok.

You need to stick by your football team even during the fat years. Coz unlike women, they’ll usually come good and be attractive again :)

I know a guy from Renfrew who was in the RAF, a Rangers Supporter who in his mid 20’s became mates with a Tim, started going to games with him and then started supporting them, played the rebel shite, always had the gear on, utterly baffling to me.

I had a 'mate' who was a Thistle fan growing up, used to refer to me as a DOB. Few years later I saw him at a champions league match (92/93 campaign). Couldn't really blame him, but didn't respect him much either. My other Thistle supporting mates all hated him too.

The Scottish Man Utd ''fans'' really are the most embarrassing. I'm sure most of us have met one or two of them over the years. I find it hard to take them serious.
Know a guy who runs a pub-season ticket holder at man.u.goes down every 2nd week,needles to say we don’t visit his pub,this guy is scottish.

One of my best mates was a celtic fan until he was about 10 and then changed to Rangers because everyone at school supported Rangers. Followed Rangers until the year Souness left and his last game as a Gers fan was away to St Mirren when, if I remember correctly, Sandy Robertson scored a late winner for us. He’d have been 22 back then.

He followed Partick Thistle for a couple of years and even though I tried to get him back to Ibrox – managed it a couple of times - the day we beat the filth and insane O’Neill claimed his team had been “astonishingly brilliant” and a game at Ibrox v Dundee Utd when Laudrup scored a stunner at the Broomloan end – he was lost for good. Is an Aberdeen fan now but spends most of his time on facebook posting about Rangers.

Know a couple of guys who changed to supporting rangers when they moved work roughly 20 years ago,them and their kids have had season tickets ever since!
Know other guys who say they support rangers but have never been to Ibrox or rangers games,in a while!
Which one helps keep “our”club alive.?

My missus is from a big CFC family and me and her had a heated discussion after their 2003 UEFA cup final defeat because I was celebrating and she wasn’t.

Fast forward to 2008 and Manchester and she was fully behind the Teds!

Nowadays, she’s a Rangers fan, not as big as me and the kids but a supporters nonetheless.

Changing teams suggests a deep psychological issues imo. I believe both Harold Shipman and Jeffrey Dahmer switched teams.

I actually find this thread heartening. I agree swapping sides is odd but it seems it's more common than I thought.

As a teenager, my son had me pulling him towards RFC, my wife's family pulling him to Dunfermline and his mother's family to Partick Thistle. The result was he understandably told us all to gtf and supported Hamilton Accies.

He's now well into his 20s and still supports the Accies.... sort of. But he doesn't attend their games but sometimes comes to Ibrox with me when we play Motherwell as he likes to see us beat them. He loves the Ibrox atmosphere and the card displays and was raving about the remembrance one this year. He despises the fhilth to the degree I have to shush him sometimes when out and about in case somebody takes offence nearby.

This thread makes me realise even at this stage he is not a lost cause and I will be making efforts when I see him in the coming months.

Take a look at Elaine Kelly down here a bear up Tayside the Hibernians Of Dundee, must have mingled with the smellie,s. P.s. out of hospital thanks to FF members.

One of my pals has 'supported' Dundee United, Dundee, Rangers & Dundee again (in that order)

Now gives it all the sevcos :D Can't take him seriously. Laughing stock.

The thread about smelly Spiers got me thinking about this the other day. Everybody knows somebody that has changed the team they support, the worst are obviously jump the dykes.

I know of two particular ones that stick in my mind, I actually saw one of them today for the first time in years. Guy number one was ages with me at school, supported the vermin as did his whole family. He moved to Northern Ireland and I was amazed to see he was a Rangers supporter and was actually in a flute band:eek:
Guy number two had an IRA tattoo and supported Celtic, he's now a Rangers supporter.

Now that I think about it, I actually know more than that, a couple that supported Rangers but now support Killie, and one that supported Hibs but now supports the filth.

Obviously everybody is perfectly entitled to do whatever they want but I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to take any of these guys seriously when it comes to football. You have to wonder what goes on in the minds of these guys, for me your team is always your team, it's not something you can just change at the drop of a hat.
Any other examples? The guys I have mentioned don't go to Rangers games but I'm sure there are some that do.

I wonder how many of our fans do not have THAT feeling towards Rangers.

I thank my lucky stars that i was brought up in the amazing Rangers tradition.

If you've never shed a tear during a heartfelt @David Edgar H&H ending you will probably never know THAT feeling :)

I supported Patrick Thistle until I was 10 because my dear departed Dad was a Thistle supporter and took me to Firhill. However, as a special treat, he took me to the Rangers v Motherwell cup semi-final at Hampden on 31 March 1962. I was enthralled by Rangers and have supported them ever since - more than 55 years. I have a season ticket, as do my son, my grandson and my daughter in law, and I am a shareholder in Gers. I still go to just about every game, home and away, and have attended many away games in Europe - normally, I miss games only because I am abroad on holiday. My point is that some people do change their allegiance, especially when they are young, and they are no less a Rangers fan for that.

I supported Patrick Thistle until I was 10 because my dear departed Dad was a Thistle supporter and took me to Firhill. However, as a special treat, he took me to the Rangers v Motherwell cup semi-final at Hampden on 31 March 1962. I was enthralled by Rangers and have supported them ever since - more than 55 years. I have a season ticket, as do my son, my grandson and my daughter in law, and I am a shareholder in Gers. I still go to just about every game, home and away, and have attended many away games in Europe - normally, I miss games only because I am abroad on holiday. My point is that some people do change their allegiance, especially when they are young, and they are no less a Rangers fan for that.

I don't see too much wrong with that to be honest, you can understand it with kids. My post was more aimed towards people that have switched as adults. It's hard to take them seriously.

Last edited:
I grew up with a lad he supported dolly.Not seen him in 20 years and bumped into him with a Rangers scarf on coming out of the Copland.Same again a bitter (against us) thistle fan at school sitting in the Masonic with a Rangers top on.Lastly worked with a guy who is a tim supported us then them now us again.His nickname was Billy Pope.Resigned for thieving so lived up to what I thought him and others like him.Not to be trusted.

I work with a burd who fleets between the scum and us dependent on who her jockey of the moment is. I am continually at pains telling her that she's a 'jump the dyke' and the worst type of plastic paddy.
I was apparently responsible for her last beau dumping her as when I saw them at Ibrox, I politely reminded her of her previous allegiances to which the said beau decided that this was a step too far.

I work with a burd who fleets between the scum and us dependent on who her jockey of the moment is. I am continually at pains telling her that she's a 'jump the dyke' and the worst type of plastic paddy.
I was apparently responsible for her last beau dumping her as when I saw them at Ibrox, I politely reminded her of her previous allegiances to which the said beau decided that this was a step too far.
Well done you saved that man a life of pain

My stepson has changed his allegiances - he is only 10 and was “a Celtic fan” more so because his dad is a Celtic fan (bitter one at that) - obviously living with me and his mum has changed his ways and he is now a fully fledged Rangers fan with a season book on the way.

He also loves Real Madrid but knows he can’t support them lol

I don’t have a problem with kids changing their team but when adults do it I just don’t get it. Weird behaviour.

One of my best mates was a celtic fan until he was about 10 and then changed to Rangers because everyone at school supported Rangers. Followed Rangers until the year Souness left and his last game as a Gers fan was away to St Mirren when, if I remember correctly, Sandy Robertson scored a late winner for us. He’d have been 22 back then.

He followed Partick Thistle for a couple of years and even though I tried to get him back to Ibrox – managed it a couple of times - the day we beat the filth and insane O’Neill claimed his team had been “astonishingly brilliant” and a game at Ibrox v Dundee Utd when Laudrup scored a stunner at the Broomloan end – he was lost for good. Is an Aberdeen fan now but spends most of his time on facebook posting about Rangers.

That reads like the life of a self hating wank!

Years ago my mate was in sheltered accommodation trying to get a flat. He shared a flat with two other guys. We went round for a bevy and the two flat mates joined the lads. Anyway one of them had a tricolour on one forearm and a Union Jack on the other when challenged he said he usually wore long sleeves and would roll up one arm depending on the company

Head case

I went to the football with a friend of my dad's for over 10 years after my dad died. To be honest in those 10 years I always had doubts how big a supporter he was as after every poor result he would question if he would be at the next match, slag the players etc.

First time he ever went with us was in the van to the 1992 cup final v Airdrie. Before that he was a Falkirk fan. He had a season ticket for Ibrox (2 actually) right up until administration then chucked it. Now back to going to Falkirk as it's "better value for money !!). And he's also a huge snp supporter. Apart from that he's a great guy..... :D

I like this story.

My dad was a Clyde fan as a youngster, when he was a teenager his older brother took him to Ibrox to see us and that was it. I wouldnt regard him as a jump the dyke as my gran and granda had no interest in football so he just chose Clyde and my uncle chose us. I’m glad he became a Rangers fan.

A mate of mine from years ago who used to go to home and away games and from a hardcore Orange background, his brother especially more than sympathetic to the Loyalist cause across the water, is now a full on Yesser anti-British scumbag. I don't think I could even look the runt in the face if I ever see him again. Thank God his parents aren't alive today to witness what he's become.

Played fives with a guy who was a Rangers fan, always wore a top to play in etc then he started going out with a girl who was a scum fan and before we knew it he was accompanying her to their games. Last I heard he was a season ticket holder for the piggery even though he was no longer going out with her. Honestly baffles me how grown men can change teams, never mind changing to your acrh rivals.

There was one guy at my school who would literally swap between us and celtic depending on who happened to be doing well at the time.

This was about the time Souness came to us, so that season he cut about wearing a Rangers top, then when celtic were doing well under McNeill wore a celtic top - then next season after that back on a Rangers one.

He was a bit of a psycho, and not the full shilling, to be fair.

There was another guy who for many years was about the most forthright aberdeen supporter you could imagine - used to turn up to school for things in full kit and face paint etc, absolutely obsessed with them, it appeared. Then one year (again, about the time of McNeill) he turned up in a full celtic kit / face paint etc.

Genuinely can’t understand how anyone could do that!

Back