Police Scotland

With all due respect, If like you say, and therefore the police say, that there is such a “risk” at that stadium due to the poor design, layout or any other means, and, like you say, a fan has already died there, then, Police Scotland, and the authorities that supply the stadium certificates to allow matches to be played there, should be held accountable for knowing the dangers and risks, knowing the potential consequences of something going wrong, and idly standing by and doing nothing about it.

If the risks are as you say, that stadium should either be:

- Shut down
- Remain open, with a reduced capacity to mitigate the risks aforementioned.

Doing anything other than the 2 above scenarios, is negligence and if anyone were to be injured or die in that stadium, there should be a push to have every single person who knew the risks involved, and done absolutely nothing about them, to face jail time.

They arent duly standing by and doing nothing about it.

This is the actions implemented to mitigate to risks.

Notice that no tickets are sold in the section right beside the tunnel in that corner. No segregation required there due the tunnel, so why not just sell the tickets other than it being an H&S issue?

Yes, the police all report to Peter Lawwell for a briefing and to get their orders to manhandle Copenhagen players before the game. FFS.

@Wilkinsvolley @Greggy75 The Copenhagen fans, by the accounts I've heard from guys who were working there were pretty difficult. Their away stewards were basically not stewards at all, fans wearing body armour believe it or not, totally not compliant with police or home stewarding orders and basically doing their own thing which caused some issues inside and outside the ground. At their first goal there was a surge forward which caused a bit of a crush with fans rushing down from behind although nobody got onto the pitch. Some of the stewards ended up physically fighting with the police and had to be removed and at least one I know of was arrested. For the second goal, again the players came off the pitch - going against the instructions they get before the match - and they were trying to stop that happening again and that's when the Inspector got decked. Doesn't help with the massive gap in the advertising boards there. Seen a comparison pic with Ibrox but we have boards all round and a much smaller 'front row' of the away section which makes it totally different.

Last edited:
The fact that charges have been brought is a huge embarrassment. Is he a higher ranking officer? He's obviously bristling because he's been made to look stupid. I'm sure the charges will be thrown out.

From reading subsequent posts from @JorgAlbertz, it's interesting that area of the piggery is deemed to be dangerous and that the reason for the manhandling is to prevent injury. If that is the case that area of the ground should be closed until they can guarantee safety. It also makes the non policing of the Legia fans even more baffling.

It would probably mean no away fans then as I dont think any other parts of the stadium can be fully segregated?

Interesting post.

So who decides that the police deploy so many officers to that side of the ground? Why is it so heavily policed compared to the other corner for example? Why is it only at that particular area of that particular stadium that footballers are continually manhandled by police/stewards?

Also, why did police officers just stand and watch legia warsaw fans light numerous pyro (the game was actually halted!) and literally do nothing about it? Would they stand and watch the Union Bears section do the same?

Why are different supports policed differently and who/where does this direction come from?
Like they do at Ibrox, you're clutching at straws with the bold part. It's no different to Ibrox

With all due respect, If like you say, and therefore the police say, that there is such a “risk” at that stadium due to the poor design, layout or any other means, and, like you say, a fan has already died there, then, Police Scotland, and the authorities that supply the stadium certificates to allow matches to be played there, should be held accountable for knowing the dangers and risks, knowing the potential consequences of something going wrong, and idly standing by and doing nothing about it.

If the risks are as you say, that stadium should either be:

- Shut down
- Remain open, with a reduced capacity to mitigate the risks aforementioned.

Doing anything other than the 2 above scenarios, is negligence and if anyone were to be injured or die in that stadium, there should be a push to have every single person who knew the risks involved, and done absolutely nothing about them, to face jail time.

God forbid somebody actually loses their life at the tattiedome after we have a Police officer on this thread already stating his real fears that it could happen.
If he has related these fears to his colleagues and superiors somebody MUST surely then be held responsible for any subsequent deaths?

I get that he is basically saying they do their best in difficult circumstances, but, to let the situation repeat itself (continually running the risk of crushing) game after game - Is this not a dereliction of duty by those wearing the pips and allowing its continuation?

Is there a law in Scotland similar to corporate manslaughter in England?

They arent duly standing by and doing nothing about it.

This is the actions implemented to mitigate to risks.

Notice that no tickets are sold in the section right beside the tunnel in that corner. No segregation required there due the tunnel, so why not just sell the tickets other than it being an H&S issue?
That area of the ground should be closed in that case. We have a police officer above stating that he wouldn't be surprised if there is a death in that section soon; why on earth is that acceptable?

The Copenhagen player was a grade A c0ck, he deliberlety barged into the copper knocking him to the ground.

If you did that on the street you'd get arrested and charged.

That would require a politician to question the rhats and put their behaviour under the microscope.

I'm convinced that plod at the scum hut are hand picked.
Really, by who? Police have a shoulder number, and for good reason. That's all you are. You are a resource. When resources are being 'picked', do you really believe that someone has a list of Celtic supporters, or there's a computer program picks them? Come on guys! Starting to sound Them.

Can be heat of the moment on a street.
All jovial at a festival jumping around, you barge a copper like that your getting arrested and charged.
It wasn't on a street though. It was a sporting event contested by professional footballers. This police officer decided he was going to stop a player celebrating a goal with his supporters and was barged over in the process. A police officer above has stated that section of the ground is policed in this manner to prevent people actually dying in the stadium. The charges should be thrown out.

spot
We’re being asked to believe:

1. The area allocated to away fans at Parkhead is inherently dangerous from several perspectives.

2. FC Copenhagen fans have a notorious reputation.

3. The response of police and stewards was proportionate and appropriate to the level of anticipated disorder. In other words, the situation would have been worse had they not acted in this way.

4. FC Copenhagen players behaved differently to players of other teams who achieved a famous victory.

5. The decision to charge two Danes - one a player - is sensible.

6. There is no bias within Police Scotland (even tacitly or subconsciously) and no political influence whatsoever (some observers of how sectarian language is treated will raise eyebrows here).

Few on this forum accept this interpretation. There are major problems with Police Scotland, just as there are with the prosecution service and the entire criminal justice system in this country. Indeed, this extends to other key areas like health and education.

There is the unmistakable stench of politicisation and double standards.
Spot on and to be fair the only person making the above assertions about the behaviour of the Polis is a Polis himself, anyone with a shred of history with them knows they cannot be trusted to provide a balanced and truthful view of their fellow officers

spot
Spot on and to be fair the only person making the above assertions about the behaviour of the Polis is a Polis himself, anyone with a shred of history with them knows they cannot be trusted to provide a balanced and truthful view of their fellow officers
Like all professions there is good and bad, the police are no different.
Were the police out of order in arresting the player, yes definitely.
However I would be more concerned that we have posts on here saying the reason the police are using the tactics they are in that corner is to prevent loss of life for visiting fans. If that is true then not only GCC and Celtic but Police Scotland themselves need investigated for allowing that area to be used at all.

The Copenhagen player was a grade A c0ck, he deliberlety barged into the copper knocking him to the ground.

If you did that on the street you'd get arrested and charged.
Depends if the coppaz are equally matched number wise in a quiet street with no other witnesses.

Hope the lady's front bottom took a sore one. How many innocent people has he done that to in the street before? Scumbags.

It wasn't on a street though. It was a sporting event contested by professional footballers. This police officer decided he was going to stop a player celebrating a goal with his supporters and was barged over in the process. A police officer above has stated that section of the ground is policed in this manner to prevent people actually dying in the stadium. The charges should be thrown out.
But that's not what happened though is it?
The policemen stopped tries to stop a player celebrating, a DIFFERENT player ran in and deliberately barged the policeman in the back.
That's what happened.

But that's not what happened though is it?
The policemen stopped tries to stop a player celebrating, a DIFFERENT player ran in and deliberately barged the policeman in the back.
That's what happened.
I never at any point stated it was the player who scored who barged him over.

I never said you did but that's the point. He was stopping another player getting to the crowd and another player deliberately barged him.

It's a chargeable offense.
It's not often you see a police officer put hands on a football player whilst he's celebrating and it only ever happens in that ground. Now we know why, huge questions should be asked of Celtic and Police Scotland.

Questions needs asked why stewards and police are setup differently at that corner of Parkhead compared to any other ground in Scotland.

Who orders them to setup in a way that players can't celebrate with fans and that both police and stewards are allowed to assault players?

It's something I've wanted our club to ask for fucking years

It's not often you see a police officer put hands on a football player whilst he's celebrating and it only ever happens in that ground. Now we know why, huge questions should be asked of Celtic and Police Scotland.
Again your missing the point, regardless of what the police or stewards were doing to the other player, the guy getting charged barged into the back of the policeman.
How the police and stewards were behaving is a different topic and I agree they were heavy handed.

Running from the field barging into the back of a police man.
I'd call that moronic.
Now I have been denied the option of seeing the slo-mo video but quite a few on here were saying that wasn't the case. I also question you implying that the player ran from the field with the intention of barging into the back of the policeman.
What are you basing your opinion on?

Now I have been denied the option of seeing the slo-mo video but quite a few on here were saying that wasn't the case. I also question you implying that the player ran from the field with the intention of barging into the back of the policeman.
What are you basing your opinion on?
Watch any of the videos, it is fact as you will see.

If Police opinion is that the stadium is a dangerous death-trap then why isn’t this being reported through their hierarchy?
Why are tax-payers money and stretched Police resources being used to provide a huge presence to mitigate the risk of a dangerous stadium?
Why isn’t the club being forced to make their stadium safe and why aren’t the Police reporting this through their chain of command?

FURIOUS Copenhagen captain Zeca last night blamed police for the chaotic Celtic Park scenes that led to a player being charged with assaulting a high-ranking officer.

The ace let rip at cops who tried to stop his teammates celebrating a dramatic late goal that dumped the Hoops out of Europe.

A wall of officers blocked the Danes from joining their overjoyed fans at Parkhead, sparking a melee that ended with one — thought to be an inspector — flat-out on the turf and striker Michael Santos, 26, being nabbed.

But defiant Portuguese star Zeca, 31, said of the incident: “Police should not tackle a player. People have to understand it’s football. It’s an emotional game.

“Of course you shouldn’t jump into the stands, but we wanted to be close to our supporters and celebrate with them.”

Copenhagen midfielder Rasmus Falk, 28, backed up his skipper, saying: “I think there needs to be a greater understanding. We just wanted to rejoice with those who were with us.

“We were in the process of creating a huge result, so you have to have a sense of the situation for those emotions to be displayed. Our fans were extremely happy, we were extremely happy.”

He added: “Let’s celebrate it. It was a good situation. We were displaying joy and we didn’t stay in that area for long. You must be allowed to celebrate.”

The trouble erupted five minutes before full-time in the tense clash when Spaniard Pep Biel silenced Parkhead by netting to put the Danes 2-1 up on Thursday.

His shock strike came moments after Celts ace Odsonne Edouard had levelled the scores at 1-1 with a coolly-taken penalty — seemingly sending the tie towards extra-time and igniting hopes of the Hoops making it to the last 16 of the Europa League.

Television footage of the rammy appears to show a cop grabbing the celebrating Biel from behind and spinning him round.

The pair become embroiled in a verbal row — then the cop appears to be flattened after Uruguayan ace Santos, 26, sprints into view.

The camera cuts to Copenhagen boss Stale Solbakken, then returns to show the floored officer back on his feet and grabbing Santos.

Another cop tries to assist him as the players walk away with the player wagging his finger at the officer.

The visitors’ 3-1 win over Celtic skipper Scott Brown’s team was kick-started by Santos’ opener early in the second half and sealed with a third goal from Dame N’Doye, 35, in the dying moments.

After the final whistle, FC Copenhagen confirmed Santos and a steward caught up in the touchline bedlam had been charged.

A statement posted on the Danish Superliga outfit’s website read: “One of our stewards tried to prevent the clash and was carried away and talked to Scottish police.

“Michael Santos also spoke to the police and, in connection with the police report, charges have been raised against both.”

The club said the player and steward had travelled home with the team and were waiting to see what action would follow.

Their statement added: “Those involved are not going to comment on the episode.”

And spur of the moment moronic behaviour lands you in trouble.

The police acted on the spur of the moment.

Police and stewards showed plenty of evidence of moronic behaviour.

How was the Danish player meant to distinguish between a high-rankIng Officer and a Yahoo steward when they behave identically?

This is truly a disgrace. I hope the Danes complain to the authorities. Ridiculous that Police should get involved with players unless serious public danger. The Police behaviour was totally unacceptable.

The world can see PS as what they are in those pictures. Bullying killjoys drunk on authority.

Big mistake charging the player and the steward. If there had been no charges then this incident would have been quickly forgotten. However, now the inherent safety of the stadium and the behaviour and integrity of the police are brought into question.

You don't see folk surging to the front and jumping down over seats, crushing people in front of them? Or you do see it and think that is OK?

What is it with bears thinking crush situations at Parkhead are acceptable?

That's now been crushes outside at the cemetery side, inside away section concourses and now in the away support section of the stand. The last one is because players can easily run into the fans and there is a large space in front of row A where fans from a good few rows can get to the players.

It is not acceptable and someone will get seriously hurt or worse. What part of this is so hard to understand?

I never said scuffles with fans/police - it was the stewards (not trained, not official stewards by all accounts) who got in scuffles with the police both at the second goal and prior to that which wouldn't be on TV or footage.

I think that what you are saying is that Parkhead is inherently unsafe.

Big mistake charging the player and the steward. If there had been no charges then this incident would have been quickly forgotten. However, now the inherent safety of the stadium and the behaviour and integrity of the police are brought into question.
Will it really though? Who is going to ask these questions in Scotland? There is no appetite to take this club on for anything.

Correct, but Police Scotland are too arrogant and unaccountable to review this incident and conclude that they were in the wrong. Hopefully they are shooting themselves in the foot here and their behaviour will come under the microscope. However, we'd also need to have a MSM and politicians capable and interested in holding them to account.
No doubt the Danes respect of Scotland will be diminished after this farce.
Has this high ranking cop been named yet?

I think that what you are saying is that Parkhead is inherently unsafe.

What I'm saying is that it is my opinion from my experiences of being there that it is unsafe when players run into the fans and when fans run over themselves to get to the front - like it would be in any stadium. Anyone here trying to twist this into some official line can feck right off btw.

What I'm saying is that it is my opinion from my experiences of being there that it is unsafe when players run into the fans and when fans run over themselves to get to the front - like it would be in any stadium. Anyone here trying to twist this into some official line can feck right off btw.
Is that why that particular area is so heavily policed?

This is truly a disgrace. I hope the Danes complain to the authorities. Ridiculous that Police should get involved with players unless serious public danger. The Police behaviour was totally unacceptable.

There was though. You in see the video I posted of the celebrations at the first goal fans coming forward to the track and players running into them. That simply shouldn't be happening, and trying to keep the players away from them for the second goal was why there was the intervention.

In the context of a support which was pretty resistant to taking direction and their stewards who were not real stewards and who were totally uncooperative with home stewards and police, it's clear to see why there was a need to try and keep the players off and the crowd from surging towards them.

How serious would it have to be allowed to get before you would class it as serious public danger?

So you say that is true of any stadium. So why so many police in that section of Parkhead compared to the away corner at Ibrox (for example)? Why the disparity in police tactics?

Is that why that particular area is so heavily policed?

That might be your perception because you almost always have a segregation and you have cops standing in the tunnel who are basically in reserve. It looks more concentrated than other areas because of that. At the other areas there isn't the tunnel so any reserves for those areas are usually hidden away. The GB were complaining on twitter about cop numbers at the concourse in their section as well and you can see there were strength in numbers all round their ends of the ground too.

That makes more sense as I hadn't considered the tunnel. It does appear to be more heavily policed and, again this might only be my perception, but it just seems like there is more aggressive policing/stewarding in this area than there is at any other ground in Scotland.

Latest posts

Back