Porteous to leave Hibs

Even allowing for any bans he would inevitably get, he would still likely play more games than Helander, Souttar and Davies combined.

There's a player in there for sure, but there is also catastrophic point dropping mistakes. If you could sit him down with the same shrink that got Alfie and Jack to stop getting sent off you could probably get a really good deal. Worth the shite that comes with him? Probably not.

No idea why people caveat anything about Porteous with 'if he screws the nut he's a decent player'. He has lost some absolutely terrible goals against us.
I'll be honest. The only times I have seen him play is against us and he is practically worth a goal of a start. Guaranteed 2 or 3 complete brain farts in the game which usually result in at least one goal
Perhaps he plays much better against everyone else but I don't get the "decent player" mantra either

I didnt say she was "Glassed", I said it was a heavy duty tumbler and I will repeat myself to you by saying. I assumed it was a heavier tumbler they use in pubs,clubs and miners clubs than you or I would buy from a local shop. I did not "embellish" anything and instead said what I did based on what I thought.
i know you didnt, but others did

I'll be honest. The only times I have seen him play is against us and he is practically worth a goal of a start. Guaranteed 2 or 3 complete brain farts in the game which usually result in at least one goal
Perhaps he plays much better against everyone else but I don't get the "decent player" mantra either
Even the goal we scored in the 3-1 defeat at Hampden was his fault, but the result saved him from scrutiny. Then you have the Morelos goal in the 1-0 win at Easter Road where he's completely out of position as he's too focussed on chasing players around the park.

Thanks, I don't want animals like that representing Rangers.
While I dont want us to sign him either, as he is a dick, he wouldnt be the first player we sign with a chequered past. We all adored gazza for example and he had issues with domestic abuse. Like all things for fans though, if they are talented these things tend to be overlooked.

I think he is a decent player and could be coached to be better than decent, but he isnt good enough to justify the baggage he would bring.

No way can they afford that then it pisses off the squad. I'd imagine it will be sign now on £13k and we will sell you in the summer type deal?
Martin Boyle is apparently on £12k a week. Ron Gordon has been chucking money at Hibs to very little success.

Wherever theirs a ceeelic leaning/ ex player in charge ,if it's us I'm giving up,
Southend ,mk dons or something that's his level.

he is pash

Mind you at least he might be pash and fit

That would be an improvement on some of our other Centre backs.

Blah its still a NO from me

Mo Johnston was a fantastic player though not a low life thug.
He had a past that wasn't clever to say the least. He was an immature Ned at Thistle where he was involved with dodgy mates, receiving stolen goods or something similar IIRCC. He was still a Ned at them however he left Scotland for France and grew up before returning to us.

He needs out of Scotland if he wants to make any career for himself, away from the off field distractions and the need to play up to the Hibs fans and reputation he has made for himself with them.

I used to work with one of his mates.

Said he absolutely hates us, wouldn't touch him for that and his inability to not do stupid shit and get sent off.

Type of player we would have bought when down the divisons ( Ian Black etc) not when building a team to win prem and compete in Europe.

Absolute basket case

While I dont want us to sign him either, as he is a dick, he wouldnt be the first player we sign with a chequered past. We all adored gazza for example and he had issues with domestic abuse. Like all things for fans though, if they are talented these things tend to be overlooked.

I think he is a decent player and could be coached to be better than decent, but he isnt good enough to justify the baggage he would bring.
Gazza didn't come as a wife beater, when he became one he should have been out the door.

He’s not a bad player when he focuses on actually defending.

Unfortunately it all too often seems he can’t help himself and presenting himself as a ‘hard man’ comes before doing his actual job.

If he gets out of Scotland and the right manager can get him to focus I think he’ll go onto a very good career.

OK you seem intent on defending the indefensible. He assaulted a woman and cut her head. Is that better.
There was a few posters at the time when it happened who also defended his actions because it was a plastic tumbler.Dosent matter what the material was,he assaulted a woman and injured her and was convicted of it.Porteous is scumbag off the pitch aswell on it.

I don't think he has a history of injuries and is under 30 so would be out for scope for us
Honestly i would take him on a free, he would get sent off every third tackle for us but I still think we should pick up the best of non-Old Firm players if available on the cheap bit of a low risk strategy. If our transfer window strategy was ~20% best of non-Old Firm, ~30% Youth prospects and ~50% established First team improvers I would be happy

Porteous on a free is a no brainer for me.

Been a while since we’ve had a thug in our squad.

As a free we would be nuts not to take him. We paid 3 - 4m for Davies. The Thug is a far better option.

Absolutely freighting if the club even consider it. He is a bombscare and thug.
Probably best for all would be a move to a decent Championship club. I do think there is a player there but needs to be more focused. He is a centre half and relatively young, young centre halves are prone to making mistakes but if they're teachable they cut them out and get better as they get older.

Absolutely freighting if the club even consider it. He is a bombscare and thug.
qo23.jpg

I’m not sure on Porteous and I don’t think the club will consider him.

That said it still really annoys me how many on here just write off any player in Scotland as not being good enough for us. Players will improve with better coaching and players around him. Some of Walters best signings, especially in his second spell came from the league. He never ever turned his nose up at players in Scotland and if you go through our most successful teams you’ll see loads of players who we signed from Scottish clubs. We should always be doing it.

That said it still really annoys me how many on here just write off any player in Scotland as not being good enough for us. Players will improve with better coaching and players around him. Some of Walters best signings, especially in his second spell came from the league. He never ever turned his nose up at players in Scotland and if you go through our most successful teams you’ll see loads of players who we signed from Scottish clubs. We should always be doing it.
Not Ryan Porteous though. He is a disgusting thug.

I’ve absolutely no idea why so many brand him a decent player

Every single time I watch him he’s at fault for the goals conceded normally due to a lack of concentration

Boys a fud and Scottish football will be a better place without him

I thought a few years ago there could be a player in him, but he gets caught up too many times in battles, then as you say loses concentration.

I find it really hard to judge a players ceiling when they’re at these clubs. We only have to see players like Hickey or Ferguson doing well in Serie A or the player that McGinn has become to see there are players we should’ve taken a chance on. Against that, there’s players who come in looking like prospects like Cummings or Docherty that end up at a lower level.

Right now in this moment he would do a job, as in emergency job.. Just because he is an arsehole, plays for and supports the burners does not mean he is shite, he has the potential to become a decent player, that won't be at Hibs and it won't be with us, under different circumstances I'd have said no brainer on a free however his attitude and mentality is not what is required, he lacks class and comprehension on the grandest of scales, the culture he's fed on reeks of lowlife scumbagism, so for me its a no. Lower end Championship to a Wigan type club is where he will go, if they need a plastic thug.

Back