Positive thread warning. Young players did well today

Thought King had a pretty good game, not many mistakes.
McCann had an excellent 1st half, actually was the guy our other players started to look for.
2nd half some stray passes and composure went a bit with the chances, but he'll learn from that experience and hopefully will improve. I really want to see him and Lowry with King at the back.

I said, you can't compare a 20yr old youth player to a more experienced pro.

Your attempt at a comparison with Michael Owen or Ian Durant is absolutely insane.

& he was not poor today.

As for the support.. ffs.. one minute we are up in arms youth isn't being given a chance, they are, and you come on to tell us what they aren't?
He is not at the level we need right now.Decent young player who will get another chance in the future

I have to say that these two youngsters were the only positives I could take out of todays performance.
Yes, they both had the occasional wobble but in general they played well and showed they're not phased by playing in a full stadium.
It would be wrong to get on their backs as they certainly showed promise and were actually better than some of the seasoned senior players on the park today!

They are winning it regardless, our players have binned it. Like I say bring a new manager and watch him get let down when it comes to the crunch.
So what’s your answer then? Those players are here to stay for the foreseeable future. We just watch on for the rest of the season as Gio has us playing dire football every week?

No matter how much you try and blame the players, it can’t justify Gio playing with 3 sitting midfielders and Arfield at RW today. It’s not the players who told Gio to make only 2 late changes when we needed freshening up after about 55 mins.

You can try and defend him as much as you like but your becoming in the tiny minority that thinks he’s the man for the job.

McCann played well but needs to be more
confident when shooting opportunities arise.

King did fine but was turned far to easily for their goal

King was played out of position. McCann was played out of position and for that matter so was Jack and Arfield. This is all on poor recruitment. No AMs, no RW and no left sided CH.

The boys did ok in a poor team performance. But the reason for that poor performance goes so much deeper.

So what’s your answer then? Those players are here to stay for the foreseeable future. We just watch on for the rest of the season as Gio has us playing dire football every week?

No matter how much you try and blame the players, it can’t justify Gio playing with 3 sitting midfielders and Arfield at RW today. It’s not the players who told Gio to make only 2 late changes when we needed freshening up after about 55 mins.

You can try and defend him as much as you like but your becoming in the tiny minority that thinks he’s the man for the job.

as I said to another poster I would be pulling players into meetings and tell them they are on thin ice and time is almost up.

Maybe it a Dutch thing and Gio's style rubs players up the wrong way, look what happened with ten Hag and Ronaldo and ten Hag is your typical straight talking no bullshit Dutchman but he is the boss.

We've had issues with Morelos for years now and its took Gio to come in to say "nah we ain't putting up with this!"

I have never once said Gio was the man for the job, what I am is not putting all the blame on him and then piling on like the rest, that is the reason why I take the piss out of posters with "that's on Gio" posts etc.

I watched him today demand more intensity, and it just wasn't coming! That happened under Gerrard as well.

The players MUST take a large portion of the blame, he said "intensity" literally in the presser before the game and we get it served up for 10 minutes then go back to the usual, hanging on fucking fear another defensive collapse like Goldson fluffing his clearance or being a shitebag.

People can also moan about team selections as well but when you actually sit and look at it in the clear light of day, there is actually no one else to bring in. That whole starting 11 at times could have been bombed out after some performances this season. Who are you replacing them with?

Plus the injuries, don't count on them coming back to make things any better either apart from Lawrence.

We don't have the players. We will lose the league with these players and the one's being asked to replace the senior players won't win us the league either.

Why does that matter? Michael Owen had won 2 golden boots by that age and was about to win the Balon d'or.
A sitter is a sitter regardless of age
Hahaha %^*& me.
So you are saying a young boys game down the park should have the same quality because they are playing football? I take it you don't work for Ajax youth academy?

as I said to another poster I would be pulling players into meetings and tell them they are on thin ice and time is almost up.

Maybe it a Dutch thing and Gio's style rubs players up the wrong way, look what happened with ten Hag and Ronaldo and ten Hag is your typical straight talking no bullshit Dutchman but he is the boss.

We've had issues with Morelos for years now and its took Gio to come in to say "nah we ain't putting up with this!"

I have never once said Gio was the man for the job, what I am is not putting all the blame on him and then piling on like the rest, that is the reason why I take the piss out of posters with "that's on Gio" posts etc.

I watched him today demand more intensity, and it just wasn't coming! That happened under Gerrard as well.

The players MUST take a large portion of the blame, he said "intensity" literally in the presser before the game and we get it served up for 10 minutes then go back to the usual, hanging on fucking fear another defensive collapse like Goldson fluffing his clearance or being a shitebag.

People can also moan about team selections as well but when you actually sit and look at it in the clear light of day, there is actually no one else to bring in. That whole starting 11 at times could have been bombed out after some performances this season. Who are you replacing them with?

Plus the injuries, don't count on them coming back to make things any better either apart from Lawrence.

We don't have the players. We will lose the league with these players and the one's being asked to replace the senior players won't win us the league either.
That team today could have been changed in umpteen different ways to make it more direct and attacking. Starting with Jack, Arfield, Lundstram and McCann isn’t one of them.

I believe he coaches it into the team to concentrate on controlling the possession if we go ahead. No matter who plays it’s the same tactic, even new signings that come in have went straight into the horseshoe football too.

It seems Gio gets away with murder? All of the signings he’s brought in that don’t play must be Wilson’s fault and the shocking football he serves up must be the players fault.

So what’s his actual job then? Cause I’m pretty sure a huge number of managers could have these players playing attacking football to beat the dross.

All the comments from Feyenoord fans saying exactly the same things. Shite boring football, sold their best players but replaced them with shite. Gio seems to have bad luck if that wasn’t his fault too.

You said we can't judge him because he is 20 years old.Im just giving you the names of players who were good at that age
Ian Durrant and Ferguson, didn't all of a sudden appear and turn us into winners, nothing like it.

They became players, the more games they played, especially durrant after souness came and we brought in quality. Even an old hand like davie cooper got a new lease of life.

If we are expecting instant success from youth players, then we might as well pack it in altogether and try to buy our way out of it.

Both I thought played well enough. They are young players, so will make mistakes. However that is to be expected, however the fans have to keep faith in them when they get a chance.

Clutching at straws that.

King wasn’t great and McCann had flashes but faded. Not writing them off but let’s not blow smoke either.

If King was going to be a regular for us based on his current performances id extremely concerned.
Really, that is real big of you. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

How the fark are we supposed to transition youth to the first team if we have roasters proclaiming they wont be ''writing them off'' after one start and a full 90 minutes in the park.

Regular starter? Ooft, extremely concerning! Whit the fark? Really? You expect them to be the finished article after 90 minutes? Come on, you can't really believe that is possible.

How can we ever progress with attitudes like yours? Is there any room for growth when we bring a 20 year old on? Can we ever accommodate a couple of players learning their trade in a starting 11?

Do they all need to be the finished article from their first 90 minutes?

Get a grip.

McCann did ok but was poor with a few chances. One fresh air shot and a few he wanted far too many touches.

King terrible at their goal. Allowed the striker to get it, turn round at walking pace and pass it across our box without getting within a yard of him.

I’m not convinced by either.

Shame Lowry is injured as he’s the one real prospect.

Sorry mate. I normally get accused of "birthday card pish" as an optimist but they were both very poor.
1. King let the ball bounce every time. He is not a left centre half.
2. McCann was anonymous, a Dundee United level player.
Very poor all round.
Respect your opinion mate, and I was at the game so not always as easy to evaluate. I’m not saying they were brilliant, but they weren’t any worse than senior pros that have been playing ahead of them.

No bother mate. Remember you struggling to understand the concept of a poor Rangers performance and arguing with anyone saying we'd drop points if we continued to play like a bunch of diddies.

Quite the oracle.
Did we drop points today. Must have missed that.

As youngsters they done well.
King worries me the way he loses the runner. Twice today and could’ve been costly. I’m not overly critical cause that’s maybe experience.
McCann superb on the ball. Just wanted him to be himself and not pass square or back like the older guys.
Should’ve scored twice I’d say also

I'm glad they got a chance and hope they continue to get chances but thought McCann was anonymous and King was just okay.

Lots of developing and experience to come from both.

McCann had a wee 10minute spell where everything he was doing didn’t seem to come off and that’s got people saying he was terrible lol. He was decent today

Clutching at straws that.

King wasn’t great and McCann had flashes but faded. Not writing them off but let’s not blow smoke either.

If King was going to be a regular for us based on his current performances id extremely concerned.
A bizarre take on these players.

They are young, just coming into the team and look comfortable at this level.

The best way to look at it is this:

Both of these players are better than they were at 1500 today.

They are going to get better with every game. They won't always be perfect, but they are ready for our first team already.

McCann had a wee 10minute spell where everything he was doing didn’t seem to come off and that’s got people saying he was terrible lol. He was decent today
He doesn't really play in that position either. He would be expected to be one of 2 holding midfielders really. He should be rotating with Jack and Lundstram, not playing alongside both of them.

The problem is that we inexplicably didn't sign a number 8 type midfielder after selling Aribo (who we massively overplayed last season because we had no cover for him).

I dont buy this 20yr old pish. Hes 20, not 16. Being 20 isnt an excuse for not hitting a shot when a clear opportunity presents itself, he quite simply shat it
Being 33 or 25 isn't an excuse either. It happens, he is the most defensive of those 3 players too, but I bet it doesn't happen to him again.

The relevant part of him being 20 is that he is learning to play in the team, which includes dealing with pressure. He's a better player now than he was this morning, and the more he plays the better he will get, and the more composed he will be too.

McCann did ok but was poor with a few chances. One fresh air shot and a few he wanted far too many touches.

King terrible at their goal. Allowed the striker to get it, turn round at walking pace and pass it across our box without getting within a yard of him.

I’m not convinced by either.

Shame Lowry is injured as he’s the one real prospect.
And if Lowry makes a mistake? Will you lose your conviction for him?

These are boys, they will make plenty of mistakes as we bring them through. They are not being brought on at this moment in time for their decision making, they are being brought on for their energy and lack of fear.

We need that right now. Really need it.

Thought both of them were nothing more than ok.

When you consider Tillman is 20 and the difference between him and McCann already, his development will need to be rapid if he is ever going to be a regular player for us.

Really, that is real big of you. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

How the fark are we supposed to transition youth to the first team if we have roasters proclaiming they wont be ''writing them off'' after one start and a full 90 minutes in the park.

Regular starter? Ooft, extremely concerning! Whit the fark? Really? You expect them to be the finished article after 90 minutes? Come on, you can't really believe that is possible.

How can we ever progress with attitudes like yours? Is there any room for growth when we bring a 20 year old on? Can we ever accommodate a couple of players learning their trade in a starting 11?

Do they all need to be the finished article from their first 90 minutes?

Get a grip.

Well considering we’ve been bringing him on ahead of every other centre back we have on the books, even in champions league matches, it means he’s high on the pecking order… and I’m saying if he is expected to be a regular at this moment in time I’d be worried. I don’t know how that is big of me or whatever little panty wetting fickle you’ve got yourself into there.

Wind your neck a little in mate.

It’s nothing about halting progression. It’s about recognising ability and what it takes to be good enough in a successful Rangers team. I don’t see it there with King at this time. I didn’t write him off entirely as you seem to be implying.

A bizarre take on these players.

They are young, just coming into the team and look comfortable at this level.

The best way to look at it is this:

Both of these players are better than they were at 1500 today.

They are going to get better with every game. They won't always be perfect, but they are ready for our first team already.

It’s not that bizarre. I didn’t think they were great today, as the OP implied. I believe they have a long way to go to be starters in a successful rangers team. Again, don’t think that is a bizarre opinion.

I see ability with McCann, I just don’t think it was there consistently enough today especially as the game went on. King, some good bits of cover play and neat and tidy on the ball. Nothing to be singing and dancing about based on today.

Nobody is writing the lads off. But in a rather frustrating, turgid performance by the team I just think it’s clutching at straws to suggest that these two were the shining stars of the day.

Back