Pound for pound best and worst Rangers signings

Michael Ball was one of the first names I thought of for the worst. Paying circa £6M for him when we had Numan in his prime was just complete madness.

We certainly got our moneys worth out of big Boyd (first stint).

To many to choose from for me didn't we sign Bobby Russell off of a junior team for %^*& sake lol
But for me it's Super and Prodan.

I think the worst is Prodan but he was very unlucky and, could given his career up to that point, been a very good signing for us. I heard we were meant to be suing Atletico over with holding medical information or something but I've no idea if we were successful.

In terms of people who played for us Konterman at £4.5m was honking given the players we had although I do think he was played out of position.

Best signings - Goram, McCoist, Klos.

In recent times I'd have to say the best is Nacho Novo.
The amount of crucial, and valuable goals. Helicopter Sunday, Red Star to get us into the CL in the UEFA Cup Final year, Panathinaikos, Florence, Scottish Cup Final winner v Dundee.
I'm sure there are others, but even just the ones in the UEFA Cup run season were worth millions on their own.

Worst, I fully agree with all said about Bert Konterman, but I'll throw another into the mix, which I'm sure I'll get pelters for.

Lee McCulloch. Cost 2.2m and 20k a week in wages for 5 years. 7.5 million plus for his first 5 years. He scored a belter against Aberdeen and a great header v Lyon in his first year. Did pretty much nothing else, but seemed to be playing every week, probably to justify his transfer fee. Also cost us 3 points, getting sent off up at Aberdeen which really pissed me off at the time.
For the next 4 years, he seemed to be shoe horned into the team. Left mid, rotten. Centre half, rotten. Centre mid, rotten. Got the occasional goal, including a very important one at Parkhead, but generally stood about, pointed, shouted, lost runners, pointed some more, shouted some more, and achieved nothing. He did at times sprint to the full backs to get the ball off them, and turn and spray a 40 yard cross field pass to the other full back, which seemed to make some people think he was a good passer of the ball, but was really fooling nobody.
At the end of the administration season, he was deployed as a striker, and occasionally played quite well, in a role that he should probably have been used more often, and then continued that into the 3rd division, where he seemed too good, but was probably just playing at a level he could bully guys more and stand out. Fair play to him for that.
Overall though, I'd hazard a guess that he cost us the best part of 10m over his time with us, and I'd gladly have seen him out the door at any time over the 8 years he was here.

Buying Michael Ball for 6 fking million when we had Numan...boggles the mind. Then going on to offer Numan a fraction of what he was on to stay.

Our negotiations were frankly a joke for the most part at this period.

Best - Goram,McCoist,McLean,Doddie,Bomber Brown,Jimmy Millar,Jim Baxter.

Worst -
Prodan,Kuznetzov,Ball,Rosenthal,Kyle,Konterman.

for me one of the best £ for £ was wee Alex McDonald from StJohnstone .but the best ever was the one and only Jim Baxter .the worst ever Prodan

Best - you do immediately think of the long serving 9iar players. Gough, Ian Ferguson and Goram all cost just £1m (or thereabouts). With that in mind it's got to be McCoist. 10 league titles, European Golden Boot twice. £180k

Worst - Duncan Ferguson. British record transfer fee, for pretty much nothing. I concede Prodan is probably the more sensible answer, I was just always a bit gutted it didn't work out for the big man.

Is Trevor Steven worth a shout given we bought him back for about £2.2m after selling him for £5.5m?

Don't think worst can be anyone other than Prodan.
Absolutely nothing in return for millions spent.
I'd like to know why anyone would say Flo over a guy who never ever played?

Very good shout. Only paid £1.5m for him the first time too. Brilliant servant for us, scored some really important goals.

Some strange suggestions from players I thought were pretty decent for us... Kanchelskis? He won back to back titles, a treble and a double! Difficult to see beyond Prodan just because he was out injured for so long.

Best, maybe McCoist, all time record scorer after all. Richard Gough for £1m-ish is pretty good too?

Kanchelskis contributed very little for the huge outlay over the duration of his contract.

Flo was nowhere near the worst. We cut our losses quickly and clawed back a big chunk of the fee.

The cash paid out to the likes of Kanchelskis, Konterman, Ricksen and R De Boer was much bigger and we didn't get value from any of them

Colin Hendry should also feature in the worst column. As should Jesper Christiansen - indicative of the financial waste of that era.

Best - Stuart McCall aside from the Ines already mentioned. Claudio Reyna was also a fantastic buy.

James Beattie is a good shout considering the amount we paid against the context of the lack of cash we had at the time.

Was he not our first transfer fee for about 2 years? He was shot to bits and we paid over a million for him I believe

Surprised at some of the answers on here.

Best - Ally McCoist - £185,000 - 15 seasons, 581 appearances, 355 goals.
Worst - Daniel Prodan - £2,200,000 - 3 seasons, 0 appearances, 0 goals.

McCoist signed for only £185k and spent the majority of his career at Ibrox. He was the top scorer in Europe 2 seasons in a row. His goals went a huge way to us achieving NIAR.

Prodan signed for £2.2m and picked up a fortune in wages over 3 years, but never once wore a blue jersey and contributed feck all. What could be worse than that? Konterman at least gave us 1 cracking goal against the unwashed.

Reyna, also Alex MacDonald @ £50k.

Must be Prodan who never kicked a ball, although there are some amount of duds already mentioned. If Fan-Fan had a fee add him to the list.

Prodan was a great player who couldn't play for us because we signed him with a serious knee injury he never recovered from. I seem to remember a story going round at the time that we signed him without giving him a medical, but I've always found that hard to believe.

Mladenovich, on the other hand, was a midfielder who could neither tackle nor find a teammate with a pass. He cost us around £1.5m. Two years later, in his final transfer from Red Star Belgrade to Incheon, he went for less than £250k.

No matter Prodans reputation, and I well remember him scoring a peach against us, he never kicked a ball.
Other than making one appearance, scoring an own goal and being sent off (see Jonathan Woodgate) there can be nothing worse than simply never making an appearance.
Mladenovic was a dud but he was quickly offloaded. He went to Sociedad in January and was released the following August so after the initial outlay we wouldn't have spent much more on him.
Prodan was £2.2m and 3 years wages. It's pretty safe to say that would be £5m for nothing at all.

The amount of crucial, and valuable goals. Helicopter Sunday, Red Star to get us into the CL in the UEFA Cup Final year, Panathinaikos, Florence, Scottish Cup Final winner v Dundee.
I'm sure there are others, but even just the ones in the UEFA Cup run season were worth millions on their own.

Worst, I fully agree with all said about Bert Konterman, but I'll throw another into the mix, which I'm sure I'll get pelters for.

Lee McCulloch. Cost 2.2m and 20k a week in wages for 5 years. 7.5 million plus for his first 5 years. He scored a belter against Aberdeen and a great header v Lyon in his first year. Did pretty much nothing else, but seemed to be playing every week, probably to justify his transfer fee. Also cost us 3 points, getting sent off up at Aberdeen which really pissed me off at the time.
For the next 4 years, he seemed to be shoe horned into the team. Left mid, rotten. Centre half, rotten. Centre mid, rotten. Got the occasional goal, including a very important one at Parkhead, but generally stood about, pointed, shouted, lost runners, pointed some more, shouted some more, and achieved nothing. He did at times sprint to the full backs to get the ball off them, and turn and spray a 40 yard cross field pass to the other full back, which seemed to make some people think he was a good passer of the ball, but was really fooling nobody.
At the end of the administration season, he was deployed as a striker, and occasionally played quite well, in a role that he should probably have been used more often, and then continued that into the 3rd division, where he seemed too good, but was probably just playing at a level he could bully guys more and stand out. Fair play to him for that.
Overall though, I'd hazard a guess that he cost us the best part of 10m over his time with us, and I'd gladly have seen him out the door at any time over the 8 years he was here.

I agree to an extent about McCulloch,his last few years in the Premier I thought he was really poor and only got away with it abit when we were put down.Don't think he comes close to being the worst though
For me,best McCoist,worst,Jeffers,Beattie,Konterman......

Some of the worst in terms of just getting almost nothing (or actually nothing) out of them: Prodan, Rozental, Christiansen.
Others in the worst lot because they were deplorable value for money: Konterman, Beattie, Ball.

Best: Novo, McCoist, Klos, Goram.

McCoist probably the best but I'd also put in a shout for Gough at 1.1m (I think) given his contribution and overall influence.

Can't see past Prodan for the worst.

Off the top of my head

Best - Klos

Worst - Prodan
I'd agree with Prodan being the worst, but I'd disagree with Klos, the fee may have been low but he was on absolutely outrageous wages which really pushed the price of the deal through the roof.

I'd personally go for super Ally, even in 1983 £175k was an absolute bargain considering the impact he had.

I agree with you on McCulloch. Never rated him.

I'm just repeating what most have posted but...

Worst- prodan, spending over 2m not to even kick a ball in anger.
Best- it's a no brainier for me, Mccoist.

Best - Wallace as he was a free. Laudrup for the cash we paid, Would be interesting what he would cost in this day and age of the premiership money.
Worst - Prodan

similar goal scoring ratios for Rangers

The biggest problem I had with Flo was he never seemed to do it in the 'big' games. Apart from obviously his debut goal v them how many times did he deliver in the must win games?

Could argue over this all day and still not agree lol. Plenty to pick from on both fronts,. paid over odds during the advocaat era for many players flo, ball, konterman even Arteta( bought 5.5mill sold 2 mill). had some great transfer fees hutton & boumsong and some free transfers wallace & weir. Really depends how you rate money spent , contribution on the park and transfer fee recouped. Flo will be regarded as the worst due to the 12m transfer fee. Players from the 9 in a row era will always be the best for me cause i grew up watching them...

As a couple have said......MacDonald at 50K who went on to give us 12 years of service & was a vital cog in European & treble winning teams, must be on any shortlist for best pound for pound, as does Baxter at 17.5K.

Worst - Prodan

Back