Pre match build up needs revamped

You don't appreciate how poor our matchday experience is until you go outside of Scotland. I don't think the club do enough for fan engagement, particularly with the size and diversity of our fan base.

I know plenty of fans would rather spend money on a player but there are so many simple things that fans raise every single season that doesn't even get considered. The stench of the toilets, the lack of card payment option in the concourse, matchday music etc.

Would like the board or matchday staff to go and walk around the stadium and actually talk to supporters. Especially when they are looking at a membership scheme next season and undoubtedly an increase in ST price.

They should have (and could have) kept areas as Rover tickets....still season tickets but no seat.

The current set up has bred laziness.

I’m sure it was rule Britania we tried to sing. As they abseiled. And we had blue sea of Ibrox belting out over the speaker.

I’m in a right grumpy mood tonight but to me it was pathetic. How hard is it to sit with his dj head phone on one ear and the other listening to what’s going on.
DJ? I’m sure it’s a guy slurping his pint in hospitality while hitting play on his iPhone linked by WiFi to the sound system.

This has been a massive problem for twenty years and despite a new board it’s the one thing that never changes . I’ve given up on it ever improving .

Not that I think my post is the answer but I can say that one of the most entertaining build-ups to a 'game' I've ever been to was a New York Rangers game (on the three occasions I've been).

I might be wrong, but I think the players choose the music they warm up to. I reckon that could help?

And, not that we can afford it or that it would be visible during the daytime games, but NYR have an incredible lights show - where the lights dim, lasers are projected onto the ice drawing out the lines of the rink, the ice collapses and you can see the NY subway underneath. It's a work of art! Great build-up.

I also seen a video lately of Virginia Tech (American Football University team) enter their stadium to Metallica's Enter Sandman. The whole place was jumping! (On a side note, their stadium was a sea of orange)

Finally, when we unfurled the "When the whistle sounds the charge begins" banner at the last Old Firm, I wish we'd actually played The Trooper by Iron Maiden.

Just my two cents, and agreeing with the OP.
Rock music is indeed the answer. Not to everyone’s taste but nothing will be.

I recently went to the NFL game at Wembley, that is how to make a show. I found the entertainment between the plays more enjoyable to watch than the actual game itself. In fact it starts before you even get in the ground.

Stages outside with music, bands, give aways , interviews with fans, Inflatables etc.

Inside Wembley was immense. Atmosphere at times was electric. American football can be dull to watch but they really do know how to get the crowd going.

Was it too 'artificial' ? To the older generation , probably. I found it refreshing to be honest to be treated as a customer first, supporter second.
I’ve been to a game in Tampa Bay and pre-match you had three jets flying over with red white and blue smoke coming out, then Gilby Clarke (ex Guns n Roses) playing the national anthem on his guitar. Between plays there were quizzes, pick a song from a choice, footage from good plays in other matches on at the same time, at half time a marching band. Giveaways of t shirts and Mardi Gras type beads pre match, plus radio stations running the music in the fan zone, with competitions and giveaways. Night and day with the efforts here.

I love away games for that reason.
Even Hampden (as much as I hate the place)

Folk go on about the noise at Ibrox, but I cant remember the last scintillating atmosphere.
Give me away days any day over home games, for actual matchday enjoyment.

99% of the time there is no sense of occasion at Ibrox.

So much moaning in here its almost like a match at Ibrox!!

FWIW I agree with every word.
The board don't care, they pay lip service with all the "feasibility studies" and the wee questionnaires they occasionally send out, but they'll never improve on it. They're dinosaurs in that respect!

This thread is a fairly depressing read.

For me, the second Ibrox Stadium comes into view on match day it lifts my spirits.

I agree that the match day experience needs improved but I've read 4 pages of moans and groans and probably only 5 posts have come up with any realistic ideas to improve things. Having said that I have no ideas myself so I can't criticise.

We fans are doing nothing ourselves to lift the atmosphere - only the UB are constantly in voice (yes they still need to cut some of the shit from the song sheet) but at least they are trying.

I fear their dream of safe standing will never be realised until they prove the dodgy chants are at an end and they can focus on club/celebration songs.

We need new songs - songs with an uplifting tune with words of our fighting spirit/no surrender/we will fight till the day is done attitude.

I hope something can be sorted with the GCC - I know I know - to improve the experience outside the ground.

Anyone got any realistic ideas?

We fans are doing nothing ourselves to lift the atmosphere - only the UB are constantly in voice (yes they still need to cut some of the shit from the song sheet) but at least they are trying.

I fear their dream of safe standing will never be realised until they prove the dodgy chants are at an end and they can focus on club/celebration songs.

We need new songs - songs with an uplifting tune with words of our fighting spirit/no surrender/we will fight till the day
That’s your opinion but I don’t see the problem with the songs, the songs make the Old Firm what it is. If they aren’t banned there is no issue.

It’s weird to see the UB are always used as the scapegoat with these things.

Safe standing would be a good place to start. The other lot have it and so do Killie there's absolutely no reason why we can't have our own safe standing section but the current board don't seem to have any appetite to put this in place.

Change the music to play songs relating to players we currently have or songs we sing; Welcome to the party & Karma Chameleon (Borna Barisic) for example. Penny Arcade has some nice personal relevance to me but I think we're a bit scunnered with it before a game it doesnt so much to raise the atmosphere.

This feeds into a more general point about the club needing to try and find ways to entice fans to come to the ground earlier and stay later.

This won't be popular but we should be working with other clubs and the SFA to try and pressure the government to revoke the ban that forbids football fans to purchase drink in the stadium. That would be a great start and if that would happen we could follow the Spurs model. Their stadium is totally cashless and they have TVs along the bar so fans are encouraged to stay later and watch later kick offs in the stadium - allowing the club to generate more money.

The club should grab the bull by the horns and move the UB to a standing section in the middle of the Broomy front, help them with banners, flags drums etc,. All the moany people who want ’their’ seat can move or don’t come back. Maybe even consider another standing section Copland front, make the stadium a bear pit to intimidate other teams and fans. Pick a song that the fans identify with and gets them fired up, something LOUD and play it as the teams come out. The match experience has needed revamped for years the club needs to grow a set and do it, to hell with the SFA , this is OUR house.

Safe standing would be a good place to start. The other lot have it and so do Killie there's absolutely no reason why we can't have our own safe standing section but the current board don't seem to have any appetite to put this in place.

Change the music to play songs relating to players we currently have or songs we sing; Welcome to the party & Karma Chameleon (Borna Barisic) for example. Penny Arcade has some nice personal relevance to me but I think we're a bit scunnered with it before a game it doesnt so much to raise the atmosphere.

This feeds into a more general point about the club needing to try and find ways to entice fans to come to the ground earlier and stay later.

This won't be popular but we should be working with other clubs and the SFA to try and pressure the government to revoke the ban that forbids football fans to purchase drink in the stadium. That would be a great start and if that would happen we could follow the Spurs model. Their stadium is totally cashless and they have TVs along the bar so fans are encouraged to stay later and watch later kick offs in the stadium - allowing the club to generate more money.

Can't ever see them letting the average football fan have a beer at the football again. Without it there's little you'll do to hold the fans outside the 90 mins (if that)

I recently went to the NFL game at Wembley, that is how to make a show. I found the entertainment between the plays more enjoyable to watch than the actual game itself. In fact it starts before you even get in the ground.

Stages outside with music, bands, give aways , interviews with fans, Inflatables etc.

Inside Wembley was immense. Atmosphere at times was electric. American football can be dull to watch but they really do know how to get the crowd going.

Was it too 'artificial' ? To the older generation , probably. I found it refreshing to be honest to be treated as a customer first, supporter second.

I went to the community shield and was nothing special at all, other than having beer available.

Can't ever see them letting the average football fan have a beer at the football again. Without it there's little you'll do to hold the fans outside the 90 mins (if that)
There's talk of then lifting it for the Euros at Hampden this year and using that as a pilot for potentially lifting the ban in full. It's an absolute disgrace we're treated like second class citizens behind rugby fans

That’s your opinion but I don’t see the problem with the songs, the songs make the Old Firm what it is. If they aren’t banned there is no issue.

It’s weird to see the UB are always used as the scapegoat with these things.

If it was just the songs themselves then I’d probably agree with you.

The thing is the club has an all inclusive plan now that will not tolerate fxxking anyone or singing about someone being deid. This is how things are since the PC bandwagon came blazing into town.

We need to sing the songs that celebrate – celebrate our culture and history and traidtions.

And I am not making the UB a scapegoat. They occasionally resort to singing the songs their dads, grandfathers and uncles sang at the football and since they are the only ones making a noise at the match there is no chance of anyone else being a scapegoat is there?

The UB deserve huge praise for their efforts in keeping an atmosphere both colourful and noisy. They have made big strides down the years in cleaning up the songbook and being creative with new songs but there is still a wee bit to go. So this is not a criticism, it takes time to change generations of tradition.

The point is we all – me included – need to chip in and come up with ideas on how to improve the matchday experience and not just expect it from the club. When Ibrox is bouncing it is a magnificent thing to witness both to the eye and to the ear – we need to make it happen more.

We will all be here when the current players, directors and management have all gone so it is our future.

Before 2012 penny arcade was fine to have playing on the pa. Now no one really wants to listen to it. Or AC/DC or any other pop music pish.
I knew the guy who runs the PA system, but I don’t speak to him any more. I worked there on it for a few years myself. It’s a premade CD with all the same tunes on it, press a button and pick the speakers and bump, that’s it. The announcer is a lazy fucker too. The whole thing is amateur hour and as long as the same guy is running it, it will always be amateur hour. They don’t give a shit about it, it’s of zero importance to these people, they take your dough and that’s it.
If we had a proper liaison, and some proper people to take some ideas back to the board and have them Implement some sort of change in the atmosphere, the fans might be well up for the game.
We could certainly do with taking a leaf out of the german handbook for match atmospheres!!

Last edited:
The club should grab the bull by the horns and move the UB to a standing section in the middle of the Broomy front, help them with banners, flags drums etc,. All the moany people who want ’their’ seat can move or don’t come back. Maybe even consider another standing section Copland front, make the stadium a bear pit to intimidate other teams and fans. Pick a song that the fans identify with and gets them fired up, something LOUD and play it as the teams come out. The match experience has needed revamped for years the club needs to grow a set and do it, to hell with the SFA , this is OUR house.
This.

Standing sections with the UB in the middle of the Broomloan & Copland fronts would be a great start.

This thread is a fairly depressing read.

For me, the second Ibrox Stadium comes into view on match day it lifts my spirits.

I agree that the match day experience needs improved but I've read 4 pages of moans and groans and probably only 5 posts have come up with any realistic ideas to improve things. Having said that I have no ideas myself so I can't criticise.

We need new songs - songs with an uplifting tune with words of our fighting spirit/no surrender/we will fight till the day is done attitude.

I hope something can be sorted with the GCC - I know I know - to improve the experience outside the ground.

Anyone got any realistic ideas?
Did you hijack my brain? Everything you stated I agree with. Talk of the American style razzmatazz is a non starter. People saying the club don't care is nonsense. They may not be doing what they want. There is not one thing they could do that would get the approval of all the fans.

They are trying to get the fanzone going. I don't know how successful they have been to date, but those sorts of things will always take time to get going, now Edmiston House is getting renovated that rules the location out. But I think fanzone is a great option if done properly

Genuine question for the ones wanting walls painted, TV's upgraded, toilets done up, etc.:

Would you rather we spent £7m on making Ibrox look nicer, or are you happy that we spent £7m on Ryan Kent?

Invest in the team that has got us through to the Europa knockouts (therefore making more money) and potentially win the league? Or finish 3rd behind Aberdeen again but have a nice toilet with a TV in the food concourse?

The fact is there's not an endless pit of money at our club.

The thing Ibrox is lacking is an atmosphere... and painting walls and giving us Greggs-quality pies in the concourse is not going to make anyone sing louder.
It’s a different type of spend mate. Upgrading the stadium can be amortised and spread over many years, so both are possible.

In my opinion Simply the Best is done to death. Might be an unpopular opinion but I would like something better as the teams come out. Something that improves the atmosphere more.

Standing sections with the UB in the middle of the Broomloan & Copland fronts would be a great start.
It would be best to just have one Standing Section with the Ultras there. Unless the club make an effort the Copland is a lost cause and folk there would moan about being moved too much. Broomloan Front is your best bet.

A reminder of how pish the pre-match music is. Everyone is inside The Louden because the atmosphere inside the stadium is dreadful.

Back