Premier Sports / BBC win Scottish Cup rights

Premier Sports coverage of our European games was amateur at best.

No doubt they will now bump up their subscription rates too.

BBC get first choice, We'll be on there if we get drawn against good opposition.

Its a shambles and far too much money for peoole. An absolute disaster for Scottish football in my opinion. These people need to get out of our game and allow people with fresh ideas to take over. Always looking at short term fixes which get us nowhere.

The worry with the vpn and Rangers tv thing is that it will be cracked down on as more people use it. These tv companies are scumbag greedy cunts and will probably demand that a vpn can't be used on certain sites. Happened already with netflix and certain vpns so they have ways of doing it.

So if you want to watch all the rangers matches being shown on the telly you have to subscribe to sky, bt, premier sports & pay your tv licence to get bbc coverage. Nothing for free

I'll not be subscribing to premier sports

It's getting ridiculous, fans getting fleeced left right and centre

Shite kick off times and subscriptions galore

Which drives more and more folk to just watch illegal streams. Competition should drive down prices for the consumer however in the case of broadcast sports in the UK it’s starting to mean shelling out £10-£20 a months to umpteen different suppliers.

Further example of the amateurs in charge of Scottish football. They don't give a fluck about fans having to pay for 4 separate packages.
This will backfire on the tv companies, as I for one think this is abridge to far, I am with Sky and BT just to watch Rangers and obviously use RTV for home games at 3pm.
I have had enough.

Premier is bad enough as they offer almost no other football content most Scottish fans might want to tune into but a freaking 6 year deal. Horrendous. As I’ve said before, all Scottish domestic football should have been packaged together. An agreement could have been reached between SPFL and SFA. Scandalous decision.

This will only lead to more piracy, decreasing future rights deals, damaging the game.

I wonder if they’ll be shown free to air on its sister channel freesports

They show one game per round from the Pro 14. Usually involves one of the Italians or South African sides.

As said above, their coverage of the Pro 14 is not bad. However I know the marketing guys at Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't too keen on the switch as the social media footprint they had when it was Sky/BBC has reduced drastically since the games were hidden away on Premier. Far harder to attract casual fans, when it's not on regular sports tv or terrestrial.

I pay enough money for our football no more, this lot will go the same as that Irish mob Setanta, I have RTV and I watched the game again at midnight last night after being at Ibrox in the afternoon, this will do for me.

I pay for BT and Sky already. I will not be getting Premier. I note it says exclusive rights too so I wonder if RTV will show it live?

I stopped paying money to Sky and BT when the English Premier League started getting ridiculous amounts of cash from them.

Now I subscribe to Rangers TV and use iptv for steaming games on sky and BT. Sky sports will soon be fucked.

No money mentioned equals a rubbish deal. How are bbc going to promote the tournament when they ignore the biggest team in Scotland?

Yet another ridiculous decision from the powers that be.
I won’t be paying for premier sports I will just get the game on a dodgy channel

At least we now know why their chief sports reporter got his apparent 'promotion'.

With him still in situ and the ongoing issues between the BBC Scotland and Rangers, BBC Corp were never going to sign off on them spending that amount of money without access to all clubs.

The reason why this has ended up in premier sports is previously the Scottish Cup TV rights were packaged together with Scotland hone games. Now that these are packaged centrally by UEFA as part of nations league then the Scottish Cup rights have to be sold seperately.

The fact the SFA will have wanted a terrestrial partner, Plus the Final is under the Crown Jewels TV rights so has to be on the beeb, then the Value to Sky and BT is really only the chance of an old firm semi. Outwith that the rights are pretty much worthless.

Last edited:
Do Sky/BBC not still hold them?

Means could be soon in a position where league = Sky; league cup = BT; and Scottish = Premier.
That is just a mess. Why don't they just do a bundle with one subscriber. Too much like common sense.

So you currently need to have Sky Sports, BT Sport and Premier to watch all televised Rangers games in the UK?

This is a disgrace. We should package it all up to one buyer, or sell it ourselves.

All you need is Rangers TV, a VPN and a season ticket and you're sorted mate.

1: Premier Sports being a subscription channel means we won't get any casual viewers and reducing exposure. Okay, it's on BBC Scotland, but that means we won't get casual viewers across the UK.

2: "Premier Sports bring their reputation of high-quality sports broadcasting to the Scottish domestic scene for the first time"

Clearly the SFA never watched Rangers and Celtic's European qualifiers on Premier Sports...

3: More and more money is being pumped into football. Look at the massive inflation in transfer fees over the past 6 seasons. Yet, we sign a 6 year deal for £3.33m a year. Not too bad today, but in 6 years time that will be worth very little

4: The fans now have to fork out. For all four competitions (League, League Cup, Scottish Cup, Europa/CL) we now need 3 subscriptions - BT Sport, Sky Sports, Premier Sports. Sky Sports would be £22 per month, BT Sport is £28 on Sky and Premier is £10. That is a huge £60 per month (£720 per year). The cheapest way would be Virgin Media for the free BT, but still.

5: BT Sport are by far the best broadcaster for Scottish football (even if they do have Mutton). They actually go in depth and have decent build up, post match analysis and a highlights package and preview package. Sky Sports can't wait to get off air. BBC detest us with a passion, but even if we can put that to one side, their coverage is woeful. Sportscene is genuinely unwatchable (and I prefer to watch BT's highlights on a Monday night). Premier Sports...see point 2.

There is utter ineptitude amongst people who run our game. Absolute madness.

EDIT: Definitely best to subscribe to Rangers TV for all the matches and give the money direct to the club! http://test.rangerstv.tv/pricing.php $200 is a bargain considering everything else. Currently looking at VPNs ;)

Last edited:
The reason why this has ended up in premier sports is previously the Scottish Cup TV rights were packaged together with Scotland hone games. Now that these are packaged centrally by UEFA as part of nations league then the Scottish Cup rights have to be sold seperately.

The fact the SFA will have wanted a terrestrial partner, Plus the Final is under the Crown Jewels TV rights so has to be on the beeb, then the Value to Sky and BT is really only the chance of an old firm semi. Outwith that the rights are pretty much worthless.

The SPFL and SFA should package the cups together in future. A deal for the Scottish Cup should have been done to synchronize it with the expiration of the BT league cup deal.

What about this season?

Forget that, it's a six year deal starting in January.

More money for fans to fork out.
Think i will be investing in a Q box for Scottish cup games. F*ck forking out £120 a year for Premier Sports.

I am fortunate living overseas to subscribe legally to 2 sports packages on tv (not streamed) for the equivalent of £12 a month. That gives me all European Leagues (except Bundesliga). All EPL and Championship games are shown, any SPFL game shown on Sky or BT, and will include I am sure Scottish cup, Spanish, Italian, French, Belgian, Croatian, Russian, etc, etc.

What I dont get now is Pro 14 rugby since it moved to Premier. I get 6 Nations, Champions And Challenge Cup games.

When Rangers not on tv, I fork out my £5.99 for RTV.

Would be like many and turning to illegal streaming if I lived in the UK. I used to have Sky here, but ditched that 18 months ago when it shot up to £65 a month for me.

All you need is Rangers TV, a VPN and a season ticket and you're sorted mate.

I know, it would be nice to watch in decent resolution, with some decent camera angles, highlights and analysis though.

RTV is a decent fall back but it's about more than the tech savvy of the existing fan base watching, it is about putting together a product which encourages football fans, not just Rangers fans (and the obsessed) to watch it.

Are we allowed to discuss what is the best VPN to use? It is not illegal.
It’s a grey area for the consumer. Rangers can’t broadcast Saturday 3pm live in the UK due to draconian laws of the game, but can legally sell packages to users ‘abroad’.

The VPN facilitates the ‘abroad’ part for the user, and there is nothing that says this is illegal.

Remove if not allowed but,

Iptv will be the end of modern day subscription extortionate charge from the likes of sky and bt.

Fans will pay a one off yearly fee to watch their team home or away in HD.

But not for the prices the big boys want.

Premier Sports coverage of our European games was amateur at best.

No doubt they will now bump up their subscription rates too.

BBC get first choice, We'll be on there if we get drawn against good opposition.

It looks like Premier Sports have first picks from R4 on which is when the top teams come into the competition.

Let’s face it is anybody shocked at an Irish company winning these rights given the make up of the SFA now.

Shocking decision but with the amateurs running our game I’m not surprised. No way am I taking out a 3rd subscription.

If they truly had the supporters interests at heart they would negotiate hard for a single exclusive deal covering all Scottish football with the credible sports broadcasters - which is currently BT and Sky. Make one provider the exclusive channel and have them build the Scottish game’s profile. Premier Sports are a joke outfit.

I’d also like to see match selections for TV actually be matches that promote the best of the Scottish game. We should, for example, have more big Rangers matches at Ibrox to showcase our game - the recent Rangers v Hearts game being a prime example. Big important clash at a wonderful venue that was a great advert for our game. What was on TV that weekend? St Johnstone vs them, a poor spectacle overall. We should be putting a TV deal in place that allows us to promote the very best we have to offer so that we can build an audience over time. Folk tuning into the current schedule see crappy, small venues and awful pitches. It’s not good enough.

Shocking decision but with the amateurs running our game I’m not surprised. No way am I taking out a 3rd subscription.

If they truly had the supporters interests at heart they would negotiate hard for a single exclusive deal covering all Scottish football with the credible sports broadcasters - which is currently BT and Sky. Make one provider the exclusive channel and have them build the Scottish game’s profile. Premier Sports are a joke outfit.

I’d also like to see match selections for TV actually be matches that promote the best of the Scottish game. We should, for example, have more big Rangers matches at Ibrox to showcase our game - the recent Rangers v Hearts game being a prime example. Big important clash at a wonderful venue that was a great advert for our game. What was on TV that weekend? St Johnstone vs them, a poor spectacle overall. We should be putting a TV deal in place that allows us to promote the very best we have to offer so that we can build an audience over time. Folk tuning into the current schedule see crappy, small venues and awful pitches. It’s not good enough.

This is a great point. With 44,658 season tickets being sold I don't believe for a second that airing our home matches is going to hurt the attendances.

It would be a fantastic advert for the game. Especially when we're playing on a Sunday (so no blackout rules and no needing to change KO times)

Do it! It makes sense!

Like a lot of others I have the full RTV package.Anyone know for sure if we will still get the qualifying rounds or have Premier Sports bought the exclusive rights now.

It will probably be exclusive rights, and if so I doubt very much if RTV will be able to show it live outwith the UK.

That was certainly the case with the Europa League qualifiers when Premier Sports were covering the games"

So the fans lose out again by now needing a third subscription to see the games.

I know I for one will find alternative means of watching these games.
16knx1l.jpg

I already have ;)

It's gotten to the point im done with all the different subscription channels needed to watch Rangers.
I just Pay Rangers for every individual game on RTV. Means the haters get nothing and Rangers get my wee bit.
VPN Loyal here.

Trying to look at the bigger picture, and not saying I will subscribe to Premier sports, but if the figures are correct plus whoever wins the rights for the Scottish premiership, we're looking at £120 million overall.

How is that in the grand scheme of things compared to what we're getting now for both Scottish Cup and Premiership rights?

Trying to look at the bigger picture, and not saying I will subscribe to Premier sports, but if the figures are correct plus whoever wins the rights for the Scottish premiership, we're looking at £120 million overall.

How is that in the grand scheme of things compared to what we're getting now for both Scottish Cup and Premiership rights?

League rights are around £18m-£20m a season currently ends next season 2019/20 Sky/BT

Sky paid £56m over 4 years to the Scottish FA for the rights to Scotland Home Friendlies, Scottish Cup games and also Scottish Youth Cup. so it is difficult to say how much of that went on Scottish Cup rights

As stated in this thread UEFA now sell the home friendlies hence why Sky weren't interested or the Scottish FA tried to get money for the rights than Sky were willing to pay.

Back