Ramsey - A Goodbye

Our very own Duffy, in a couple of ways.

Arrived with huge expectations only to fail miserably.

Choked when he had the chance to become a Rangers legend.
Harsh. He missed a penalty which can happen to anyone. He did show occasional flashes of his quality but it was very fleeting on account of his fitness. Ultimately it was a total failure of a deal, but nothing like comparable to self confessed shettleston Shane Duffy coming up here to fumble around and %^*& up on a weekly basis and in comical fashion. He was so bad and cost them so frequently it was barely even believable.

Last edited:
I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole episode. It didn't work out but life goes on.

What would piss me off is if he went on to give it 100% for Wales and play every minute for them.

Let’s be honest, if Ramsey was fully fit and firing on all cylinders, we’d never have been in with a sniff of getting him.

It was a gamble that didn’t pay off, but it was one that was worth taking imo. Had it paid off, could well have made the difference in the league and Europe.

I don’t get the impression that we missed out on any other player by taking him on. It was Ramsey or nothing.

Last edited:
I was quoting in the context of the poster who said Juve were covering 90% of his wages.

Where was the rest coming from?

A government grant?
I said 10 percent which was wrong of me to say that. It was more around the region of 10 grand a week wages. Juve had to be seen to making something from the deal otherwise they would get criticised but they were desperate to get them off their books and that’s why we got him for peanuts.
10 k a week is not peanuts but you know what I mean.

He scored a goal against bottom of the table Dundee. Scored a goal against Celtic in a game we lost and got an assist against Dundee Utd.

Hardly a major contribution

You're also conveniently missing out his contribution in goals and wins against Braga, St Mirren and Hearts.

He didn't play much, but when he did he was generally always involved in the good things we did.

You're also conveniently missing out his contribution in goals and wins against Braga, St Mirren and Hearts.

He didn't play much, but when he did he was generally always involved in the good things
You’ve been consistent I’ll give you that.

A gamble that didn't pay off. He clearly came massively out of fitness and just when it looked like he was ready to play a part he got injured. Shame, no ill will to the guy and hope he finds somewhere to kick start the career again.

Very sad wee moment on Saturday when he didn’t lift the cup when he was passed it.
I think he thought he might have received some angry reaction after his penalty miss.
Or he felt as if he hadn’t contributed to the cup.
Either way I was genuinely a wee bit choked to see that.
Good luck Aaron in whatever you end up doing next.
Seems like a really genuine person in what I’ve heard about him.
Few years back he tore Scotland apart single handedly.

For my tuppence worth, the lad has natural ability and a desire to win.

His injuries though, have blighted his loan and the mere fact that he wasn't match fit was a massive mistake. A match fit Aaron Ramsey would be first on any managers team sheet.

It's a shame it's not worked out.

He didn't play much, but when he did he was generally always involved in the good things we did.
Disagree, he has shown in tiny little spells he has quality but against Dundee Utd then Hearts in his last 2 games he was pish apart from getting 1 assist, constantly caught on the ball or giving it away, just looked rusty.

He hasn’t offered anymore than our other midfielder or attackers. Probably the reason why Gio didn’t bring him on during the 2 cup finals except for the penalty after he played against Hearts last week.

If Hagi was fit we would have never signed Ramsey, was a risky signing but if he would have got fit and firing he would have been amazing signing.

Shame that injury stop him showing how good he really is.

Let’s face it the Germans don’t lose penalty shoot outs. If it wasn’t Ramsey it would have been someone else. Maybe a younger player that would have had to carry that burden for a long time. He’s gone and he takes that with him. He’ll deal with it better. Will be interesting to see where he goes next. Wish him all the best. We now need fit and willing players on the books that will be ready to go from day 1. But Ramsey may have the final say very soon.

There was nothing wrong with selecting him to take the penalty. His record before Wednesday was scored 7 penalties out of 8. The best ratio in our squad. The mistake, if we planned for him to take a penalty, was not giving him at least 5 minutes longer to get a touch of the ball and a feel for the whole thing. Was the penalty his first touch?

And better players than Ramsey have missed penalties in their time.

I watched the game back, he has 2 or 3 touches after coming on and it was him fouled for the free kick right at the end.

I'd actually love to know what happened at the penalty, did he change his mind or did he always intend going down the middle?

I watched the game back, he has 2 or 3 touches after coming on and it was him fouled for the free kick right at the end.

I'd actually love to know what happened at the penalty, did he change his mind or did he always intend going down the middle?
Better players than him have missed vital penalties when it comes down to it. He obviously didn't intend to miss and his record prior to Wednesday was solid enough (the best in our squad). Maybe it was nerves, maybe a mishit, maybe a change of mind. Guess we will never know. Hopefully folk are able to look at it rationally in time.

He doesn't have the strength to compete in a league like the SPL, doubt he ever did to be honest. Cardiff bound on loan probably.

I think we will see him next year, playing it coy till his Juve situation is resolved with his best interest in mind. I think he has un-finished business, if it where me i would come back and run riot !

I think we will see him next year, playing it coy till his Juve situation is resolved with his best interest in mind. I think he has un-finished business, if it where me i would come back and run riot !
I dont know you but you are probably fitter and less injury prone than he is so more likely to run riot.

Disagree, he has shown in tiny little spells he has quality but against Dundee Utd then Hearts in his last 2 games he was pish apart from getting 1 assist, constantly caught on the ball or giving it away, just looked rusty.

He hasn’t offered anymore than our other midfielder or attackers. Probably the reason why Gio didn’t bring him on during the 2 cup finals except for the penalty after he played against Hearts last week.

Our opinions are clearly polarised on the matter so it's best we agree to disagree.

He's gone now so it's onwards and upwards from here.

I dont know you but you are probably fitter and less injury prone than he is so more likely to run riot.
Nah I'm more injury prone than him. Would love to see him get a full pre-season and his games managed...Any large outlay for his services though and I would look for a fitter less glamorous option.

All the best Aaron. Just make sure that you help Wales to scud Scotland if that WCF play-off happens. Also, be ready for Hamish and the tartan trannies to vent their bile at you just because you had the honour of playing for The Famous.

There was nothing wrong with selecting him to take the penalty. His record before Wednesday was scored 7 penalties out of 8. The best ratio in our squad. The mistake, if we planned for him to take a penalty, was not giving him at least 5 minutes longer to get a touch of the ball and a feel for the whole thing. Was the penalty his first touch?

And better players than Ramsey have missed penalties in their time.

No problem with your reasoning VB. Just not Ramsey.
My point is that one of the guys who played their heart out to reach the
final,should have been given that opportunity,not someone who was barely on the park through all the rounds.

No problem with your reasoning VB. Just not Ramsey.
My point is that one of the guys who played their heart out to reach the
final,should have been given that opportunity,not someone who was barely on the park through all the rounds.
Looking at who we had on the pitch at that stage then that would have been McGregor, Goldson, Bassey, Lundstram, Sands or Kent.

We can safely rule of McGregor. So, Goldson, Bassey, Lundstram, Sands and Kent. I'm on record as saying I thought Lundstram would hit one - but he's missed two of the three he's taken.:eek: That's grim. Bassey has taken, and scored, just one - at u18 level. Kent, Goldson and Sands have never taken one. Ramsey, meanwhile, was 7 out of 8. Stats from Transfermarkt.

I'm guessing you mean leave Sakala on and give him the chance. 5 out of 7 scored. Its a maybe I guess but Ramsey's record, and experience, surely trumps that.

One thing I conclude from reading those stats is that we might have struggled if we'd got to 5-5 on penalties - though I've not looked at the Germans records.

Looking at who we had on the pitch at that stage then that would have been McGregor, Goldson, Bassey, Lundstram, Sands or Kent.

We can safely rule of McGregor. So, Goldson, Bassey, Lundstram, Sands and Kent. I'm on record as saying I thought Lundstram would hit one - but he's missed two of the three he's taken.:eek: That's grim. Bassey has taken, and scored, just one - at u18 level. Kent, Goldson and Sands have never taken one. Ramsey, meanwhile, was 7 out of 8. Stats from Transfermarkt.

I'm guessing you mean leave Sakala on and give him the chance. 5 out of 7 scored. Its a maybe I guess but Ramsey's record, and experience, surely trumps that.

One thing I conclude from reading those stats is that we might have struggled if we'd got to 5-5 on penalties - though I've not looked at the Germans records.
Any of the above mentioned,truely deserved the chance to %^*& up from the the spot,just like Ramsey did.

Back