Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

Just had an email to say my ticket in CD7 has been cancelled, thanks for that :mad:

Luckily they are sending me a ticket for somewhere else

Because what we have been charged with is a single issue - sectarian chanting by our fans.

I'm sure you'll be a lot more sickened if we are further sanctioned and the ground is shut. Then you can continue to say 'but celtic do x too' without actually tackling the issue and further legitimising unacceptable behaviour.

Head out the sand. Stop making excuses.

If you think closing our ground will fix a social issue that’s 100s of years old, then you’re even more naive than I originally thought.

Funny you’d suggest I have my head in the sand when you can’t see the bigger picture. Ignorant doesn’t even cover it.

If you think closing our ground will fix a social issue that’s 100s of years old, then you’re even more naive than I originally thought.

Funny you’d suggest I have my head in the sand when you can’t see the bigger picture. Ignorant doesn’t even cover it.

Exactly.
It will solve nothing and it's something society as a whole should be dealing with...how about we stop catholic schools?

You are quite correct. Closing a stand will not solve the issue.

Yet neither will blaming anyone else.

Well done the arseholes! Did anybody really, really think that the likes of Spiers,English,McLaughlin,FARE, The SFA,The BBC etc would let this kind of behaviour pass just because no one likes us, we don't care. I hope this is the wake up call needed and welcome to 2019.Again, well done the arseholes.

What has the POpe to do with Rangers?

You know yourself that is a silly question.

I understand that 'Rangers Corporate are a sports club inclusive to all and without any allegiance to any organisation' is a reasonable statement to make.

I also understand that Rangers have historical roots to Protestantism (among other things) and that Protestantism (, history of) involves the Pope quite a bit.

I think your question is a smart one, rhetorically, but anyone asking it seriously is delusional and ignorant of reality.

I hear what you say however I think it’s only fair that we are told what the racist language was

The issue is with the word “19th Century Terrorist”. It either needs dropped from songs like Super Rangers, or the songs need dropped.

I suspect if we drop the word from songs, FARE will move the goalposts and then go after the song.

The issue is with the word “19th Century Terrorist”. It either needs dropped from songs like Super Rangers, or the songs need dropped.

I suspect if we drop the word from songs, FARE will move the goalposts and then go after the song.
The SOLE issue is the word 19th Century Terrorist. We need to correct our behaviour based on this fact alone.

You know yourself that is a silly question.

I understand that 'Rangers Corporate are a sports club inclusive to all and without any allegiance to any organisation' is a reasonable statement to make.

I also understand that Rangers have historical roots to Protestantism (among other things) and that Protestantism (, history of) involves the Pope quite a bit.

I think your question is a smart one, rhetorically, but anyone asking it seriously is delusional and ignorant of reality.

I couldn’t give two flucks about the Pope. I’m not interested in hearing songs about him. I’m sure there’s are quite a lot like me.

Do you go to church?

If the word is dropped there is nothing to go after

I couldn’t give two flucks about the Pope. I’m not interested in hearing songs about him. I’m sure there’s are quite a lot like me.

Do you go to church?
Yes I do, and other religious meetings. I'm sure there are fans like yourself, also. That doesn't change anything about the history of the club you support.

No, not really. Not directly insulting, re. Hatespeech. Hating the Pope is a valid and protected opinion in this county.
The club don’t think so, neither do UEFA and in this instance it’s what they think, not you. They hold all the aces here.

This isn’t about ‘fixing a social issue’. We’ve been trying to do that for 1000s of years have are no closer to a solution. This is about not singing songs deemed unacceptable by society, or the club suffers. That’s what we need to do.

The club don’t think so, neither do UEFA and in this instance it’s what they think, not you. They hold all the aces here.
How does us being sanctioned for saying '19th Century Terrorist' mean that we can't say %^*& the Pope? I'd love to know.

Yes I do, and other religious meetings. I'm sure there are fans like yourself, also. That doesn't change anything about the history of the club you support.
You go To church ? Does your Minister say Fluck the Pope from the pulpit every Sunday? Naw he doesn’t. It’s not rooted in Protestantism to “FTP” FTP does not promote Protestantism, it merely shows your intolerance for other sects of Christianity.

In danger of becoming a bore, but this below from the fourlads Twitter, word directly from the club;

People asking for clarity & guidance from the club about songs

Stop using the word 19th Century Terrorist in it’s entirety

Any add ons that has ‘%^*& the pope or IRA’

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Like it or not - that’s the clarity

You cant help but wonder if this is a tactic to mute our supporters and effectively dull that atmosphere on match day. I take it its the UB who wont be allowed to attend the game?absolute carry on

You go To church ? Does your Minister say Fluck the Pope from the pulpit every Sunday? Naw he doesn’t. It’s not rooted in Protestantism to “FTP” FTP does not promote Protestantism, it merely shows your intolerance for other sects of Christianity.

I'm not trying to sound like a smartarse but I did my PhD on Martin Luther and I can guarantee you that '%^*& the Pope' is a central notion of Protestantism and has been since 1520.

You are being disingenuous. You know FTP is not accepted by the authorities. See @GodStruth post above.
You aren't answering my question. Saying 'FTP' is a protected position unless it is used to incite direct violence or to abuse someone (an individual, who it would need to be directed at). They'll get us on the 'incite violence' bit eventually, though.

Your ignorance on the impact of FARE on our club, not to mention their background, is deeply concerning.

Beyond belief how many of our fans are oblivious of what’s going on here.

The same organisation has been responsible for bringing two charges against us, zero against Celtic. Just so happens, their chief exec is a Tim. If that’s not a conflict of interest, nothing is.

We're being neutered and I can't believe we're just taking it.

TBB, No Surrender etc are unrivalled in football. As much as folk want to sing about Rangers we want to be able to intimidate the opposition while motivating the team.

By all means get rid of the word 19th Century Terrorist but getting rid altogether takes something away. Looks like they've got what they wanted though, we're now divided as a support. Disaster.

We're being neutered and I can't believe we're just taking it.

TBB, No Surrender etc are unrivalled in football. As much as folk want to sing about Rangers we want to be able to intimidate the opposition while motivating the team.

By all means get rid of the word 19th Century Terrorist but getting rid altogether takes something away. Looks like they've got what they wanted though, we're now divided as a support. Disaster.
100% this. The Guevara Loyal need to get back in their box over this. I realise that's divisive but this is meant to be a 'uniting' post. Welp

This isn’t about ‘fixing a social issue’. We’ve been trying to do that for 1000s of years have are no closer to a solution. This is about not singing songs deemed unacceptable by society, or the club suffers. That’s what we need to do.

It’s completely relevant, the social issue is the most pertinent part of the argument. The idea that a football club is responsible for the actions of these people, is absurd.

You don’t stop people singing inappropriate songs if you don’t fix the root of the problem. That’s the bit you seem to be missing. Banning them from the football, or even banning their team from a competition, doesn’t change their prejudice.

Too many idealists who think this is as simple as “just stop singing the songs” without any idea how we achieve that.

The club cant really do much about the guy you mention.
It's not the fellow fans job to police this either...how about stewards and police do their job.

That guys not really gonna be heard anyway, but if TBB starts from somewhere the rest of us need to drown it out.

We need to move with the times or its gonna hurt us.

If the word is dropped there is nothing to go after

We have no recourse for defending ourselves. If FARE decide the song itself is offensive, nothing we can do.

David Edgar has already confirmed the Billy Boys is banned, even if we change the words. FARE want to silence us, not make us sound nicer.

It’s completely relevant, the social issue is the most pertinent part of the argument. The idea that a football club is responsible for the actions of these people, is absurd.

You don’t stop people singing inappropriate songs if you don’t fix the root of the problem. That’s the bit you seem to be missing. Banning them from the football, or even banning their team from a competition, doesn’t change their prejudice.

Too many idealists who think this is as simple as “just stop singing the songs” without any idea how we achieve that.

But it would stop these songs from being sung at the match, which is all uefa care about. We could be looking at a full stadium closure next it we don’t stop singing this shit, so we have no choice but to start banning supporters from the stadium because “fixing the root of the problem” isn’t going to happen anytime soon never mind next Thursday.

Oh no we can’t do anything good because it won’t solve everything at once, better repeatedly punch myself in the face instead

You aren't answering my question. Saying 'FTP' is a protected position unless it is used to incite direct violence or to abuse someone (an individual, who it would need to be directed at). They'll get us on the 'incite violence' bit eventually, though.
What to do is. Email the club . Ask them if it’s alright for you to FTP in song at Ibrox and post up the response . If they say no bother, I’ll sing it with you.

Spot on. We are a real threat now.

I'm all about getting our own house in order but I also demand to be treated the same as any one else. You can't have one rule for one club and a set of others for other clubs.

UEFA and FARE are at it. Not a peep on the Celtic song book, not a word spoken of their effigies, orange bastards, sectarian songs or the flags and banners they display - 19th Century Terrorist army...

They were at it last night, a lad at work was there and was watching videos at work today. Were FARE in the ground or were they and UEFA too busy packing out the Legia Warsaw to see what we were up to.

I've fired off emails to UEFA and FARE because this is an absolute stitch up. Neither will blink an eye because they are corrupt to the core.

The rest of Scotland dont even want us to exist ffs...you seriously think us stopping couple songs will change that?
They will simply move onto something else.

So we make it easy for them? This is an open goal for them.

Take this out the equation and they can't do a thing.

We have no recourse for defending ourselves. If FARE decide the song itself is offensive, nothing we can do.

David Edgar has already confirmed the Billy Boys is banned, even if we change the words. FARE want to silence us, not make us sound nicer.
So the whole song is banned, but only because of the so called offensive 19th Century Terrorist? No 19th Century Terrorist word no ban. the sing what I want brigade, are so self absorbed and selfish they couldn’t stop.

Sorry to be bang on about the BBC, but for an idea of how damaging this is to our club, consider that you'd have had to scroll down its football page earlier today to read about our match in Warsaw last night. Now we have top billing. No doubt one of the diehard singers will tell me that any publicity is good publicity.

So the whole song is banned, but only because of the so called offensive 19th Century Terrorist? No 19th Century Terrorist word no ban. the sing what I want brigade, are so self absorbed and selfish they couldn’t stop.

There doesn’t seem to be any logic to their thinking, that’s my point. If they’ve banned the word 19th Century Terrorist, fair enough, but surely any songs using the word become acceptable if the word is removed?

The idea that they’re only after words seems misguided. They’re making it up as they go along, particularly as it’s now transpired that the acting FARE delegate was the Kilmarnock CEO.

Don't sing the banned Billy boys then.
Sing our new song instead , The rangers boys

What to do is. Email the club . Ask them if it’s alright for you to FTP in song at Ibrox and post up the response . If they say no bother, I’ll sing it with you.

That's an impressive level of facetious you're being there. Do you think the club would approve of '%^*& Neil Lennon', or '%^*& Scott Brown'? It's not hate speech or sectarian in itself, so isn't advised against on our current guidelines.

Back