Rangers hero McCoist watched Lennon tirade twice, brands bullying claim ‘unbelievable’ and calls it huge PR own goal

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Ally McCoist has branded yesterday's Neil Lennon tirade as one of Scottish football's biggest own goals.

The Rangers legend says that he watched the press conference in full TWICE as he couldn't believe what he was seeing - and can't agree with it.

Branding the Parkhead boss's claims of bullying "unbelievable" and it said it was the latest in a season of PR disasters by the Scottish champions.

McCoist told talkSPORT: "It has just been a PR disaster. I can't remember an own goal like that for a long time.

"I won't lie to you, I watched the press conference TWICE because it was incredible.

"Where do you think Neil was going with his attack? Everybody got it.

The first minister got it. The SFA got it, the Scotland national team got it.

"Margaret Ferrier got it, the Scottish MP, for travelling up and down on a train

"I saw the whole interview from Neil. I can't agree with Neil.

"It sounds as though his chief exeuctuve Peter Lawwell can't agree with Neil because he apologised.

"He came out and said something completely different - he came out and apologised to the fans for not having 13 players available.

"Andy Walker and I did the Rangers-Celtic game.

"The final whistle blew and I turned to Andy Walker and said 'I cannot believe that they are jumping on a plane in an hour and a half to fly to Dubai.

"He looked at me and shook his head.

"Even then we knew this had the potential to become a disaster.

"And it IS, make no mistake about it.

"You think of Celtic this year, going for ten in a or.w

The signings they've made, the signings they haven't made, in terms of [Fraser] Forster, or resigning [Craig] Gordon.

"Going to Dubai, Covid, shooting themselves in the foot. It has just been an unmitigated disaster for them.

"The vast majority of the public up here think Celtic got it absolutely WRONG going to Dubai.

"They are trying to hide behind that they didn't get anything legally wrong.

"I don't know and I really don't care if that is the case. The fact is they shouldn't have gone - that is the bottom line.

"They say they didn't do anything wrong.

"Think of their supporters - some of them on furlow, some of them can't see their families.

"And they are sitting watching the boys round the pool, having a beer.

"I know they haven't done anything wrong.

"But it is not a good look, a terrible image at the very least.

"I just think 'what an own goal it is from Celtic, it is absolutely remarkable."

Ally McCoist has branded yesterday's Neil Lennon tirade as one of Scottish football's biggest own goals.

The Rangers legend says that he watched the press conference in full TWICE as he couldn't believe what he was seeing - and can't agree with it.

Branding the Parkhead boss's claims of bullying "unbelievable" and it said it was the latest in a season of PR disasters by the Scottish champions.

McCoist told talkSPORT: "It has just been a PR disaster. I can't remember an own goal like that for a long time.

"I won't lie to you, I watched the press conference TWICE because it was incredible.

"Margaret Ferrier got it, the Scottish MP, for travelling up and down on a train

"It sounds as though his chief exeuctuve Peter Lawwell can't agree with Neil because he apologised.

"He came out and said something completely different - he came out and apologised to the fans for not having 13 players available.

"The final whistle blew and I turned to Andy Walker and said 'I cannot believe that they are jumping on a plane in an hour and a half to fly to Dubai.

The signings they've made, the signings they haven't made, in terms of [Fraser] Forster, or resigning [Craig] Gordon.

"Going to Dubai, Covid, shooting themselves in the foot. It has just been an unmitigated disaster for them.

"The vast majority of the public up here think Celtic got it absolutely WRONG going to Dubai.

"I don't know and I really don't care if that is the case. The fact is they shouldn't have gone - that is the bottom line.

"Think of their supporters - some of them on furlow, some of them can't see their families.

"I just think 'what an own goal it is from Celtic, it is absolutely remarkable."

They actually have done wrong Ally.

Why is this being perpetuated ?

Be curious to see if Walker retorts against the man whinks life is lived on technicalities rather than the moral codes of every decent human being

He’s lost the plot

even Celtic fans are lambasting him for it.
Goes on about hypocrisy and then in same breath rattling on about having 13 players out due to only ONE person testing positive..

yet another player tests positive from the isolation proving that was correct.

then the conga.. how many of his players were in that?

An absolute fucking idiot

What was Ally getting at here? We need to know!

He’s lost the plot

even Celtic fans are lambasting him for it.
Goes on about hypocrisy and then in same breath rattling on about having 13 players out due to only ONE person testing positive..

yet another player tests positive from the isolation proving that was correct.

then the conga.. how many of his players were in that?

An absolute fucking idiot
would be sweet if the one who has tested positive was the one sitting furthest away from Jullien on the bus and plane...

The best thing about this is that it’s UK wide. Not just Scotland getting tucked into them. The UK is. Well done Ally, keep it up and don’t be so neutral when doing games for us on Sky

I wonder if fellow TalkSport colleague, Adrian Durham, will have another go at them today? It won't mean as much as he's usually just ranting for a reaction but as we know he's known as being Rangers friendly and having no time for the Tims. And any dig at the buggers from any media source is welcome at any time.

Bullying....

Bbc radio Scotland just now.

Caller Frank he is the victim 20 years suffered of racism and bigotry and bombs and bullet.

All the comments so far are defending him big time.

From BBC website article written by Idessane this morning:

Lennon said: "Protocols at different clubs are inconsistent. As soon as Celtic are deemed to do something wrong, bang, you're all wanting blood, it's absolutely scandalous. The fallout from this has been way too much."

What actually happened, Neil, is that "as soon as celtc are deemed to do something wrong, bang, Killie and St Mirren are let off the hook, its absolutely scandalous."

From the same article

"Lennon said the club was led to believe they only had to be 2m apart on their chartered flight, but after consultation with the health authorities following the first positive test, were informed anyone sitting within two rows of seats of the positive case must isolate."

Some impressive leg room on that flight then!

Hibs rejected the fixture change 8 times, but Celtic forced it through so they could go to Dubai - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...taboutery-knuckle-draggers-tanner-hibs-eight/
I didn’t realise that. What arrogance.

The simple summary for the hard of thinking Lennon is this:
Could you go to Dubai? Yes.
Given most of Scotland in lockdown should you have gone? No, it was crass.
What did you do? No social distancing on multiple occasions, with no sign of masks.
Were you in the wrong? Yes, as a club, and as individuals. And not for the first time.

Any links to this mate?

Sorry, no links. Tanner was on Talksport and English was on Radio Scotland, both between 7 and half past I think. There might be something on the Talksport website and the English stuff might be from last night and could be on the Sportsound podcast which was mentioned earlier.

Hibs rejected the fixture change 8 times, but Celtic forced it through so they could go to Dubai - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...taboutery-knuckle-draggers-tanner-hibs-eight/
Taking the hit so the Scottish Snu won't get the clicks:

DAVID TANNER claims Celtic asked Hibs EIGHT times to move their January fixture to allow them to jet to Dubai - and says Neil Lennon's press conference tirade was the kind of "whataboutery he expects from knuckle draggers on Twitter".

TalkSPORT'S Scottish football correspondent, who works for Hibs TV on match days, claimed that "41 other Scottish clubs" are LAUGHING at Lennon's claims that they club is being bullied.
And he mounted a defence of pundit Andy Walker - who Lennon insisted owes him an apology for saying that the club's stars were on a "jolly" out in UAE.

Tanner said: "The whole thing has been entirely of Celtic's making and now they are lashing out in an attempt to divert attention away from themselves.

"That is the kind of whataboutery I expect from knuckle draggers on twitter.

"Bear in mind they were supposed to play last Saturday against Hibernian. but the game was moved to Monday.

"They rode roughshod over due process, Celtic, because they asked Hibernian EIGHT times to move that game to Monday night so they could go to Dubai.

"Eight times Hibernian said no. So Celtic went to the SPFL, who invoked a rule that many hadn't heard of.

"They should have heard of it in fairness, but they hadn't heard of it, and they moved the game.

"Now Hibernian were furious about that. That right away was a disaster area, but they [Celtic] lost at Ibrox.
"Neil Lennon said they were the better team. But try telling that to the guy who engraves the trophy at the end of the season.

Tanner added: "It is the last refuge of a club in crisis. Lashing out at pundits, questioning Andy Walker's Celtic credentials is a joke by the way.

"He is one of the biggest Celtic fans I know, he is one of the fairest pundits I know. Neil said he hasn't achieved anything at the club.

"He won the centernary double against Graeme Souness' Rangers, a far superior team.
"He had two stints at the club as a player and has been a supporter since the day he was born so I am not having that at all.

"For the club to claim it has been bullied, that will have 41 other SPFL clubs laughing ironically and I know that it has. To use a Neil would use, it is crass.

"This is a mess which is entirely created by Celtic, inlcuding having a drink outside.

"I have been on Scotland, Rangers and Celtic trips where I have had beers with the managers and a cup of tea with the manager and it has been done in a private room, not by a poolside, not in a public bar and not in an era where there are cameras in every phone.

"Now he is right about Margaret Ferrier, who is the SNP MP who got a positive test but jumped on a train and went from London to Glasgow.

"He is right the Scotland team shouldn't have done a conga, that was in November, mind you, which was a very different situation from New Year's Day when Celtic got their passport out.

"The whataboutery thing doesn't work for me. All of this is Celtic's fault."

No holding back there.
"Whataboutery"
"Knuckle Draggers" :))
Careful, Mr Tanner, they'll be running out the 'anti-Oirish' ridiculousness in spite of your Hibs connections.

TalkSport have come a long way from the 'TicSport reputation of a decade or so ago, when purple headed pisshead Alan Brazil ruled the roost and a wallcrawler like Ray 'If ye've nivver played ra game, ye cannae have an opinion' Houghton was the go to guy for Scottish football.
Now Brazil is on the outs to spend more time with his wine collection, Houghton is as passé as deely boppers and white parallels and Super Ally is the major Breakfast show attraction.

By the way, any grammatical and spelling mistakes in the above copied article - and, surprise, surprise, there are a few - are entirely the fault of the copy editors, journalists and production standards at the Scottish Snu.

Last edited:
There was so much irony in his press conference i can barely cope.
Mentions bullying before picking on an innocent colleague of someone who made a comment about his team. Asks him to explain his colleagues comments. Then when he gets asked a question he says that they will need to ask Peter/the board.

I can go as far as to understand he wants to defend his team, but he could have handled it so much better and still got his point across.

Back