Rangers related facts you didn’t know

My recollection would be that Don McKay was caretaker at the end of 85/86 after Jock Wallace left and Walter joined at the same time as Souness.
You might be right but i thought Walter was in charge for the Friday night game against celtic in the Glasgow cup

Derek Johnstone left Rangers and became Partick Thistle player manager. He was sacked, kept driving his company Rover, and Thistle alleged that he had stolen the car.

My recollection would be that Don McKay was caretaker at the end of 85/86 after Jock Wallace left and Walter joined at the same time as Souness.

Walter joined before Souness and picked the team for a small number of games right at the end of 85-86.
He selected McCloy and DJ in at least 1 game, so both players played under Waddell and under Smith.

I'm sure I read that the plane that took Rangers to Nice for a European game in the 50s had to delay due to engine trouble was the same plane that crashed with the man utd team 1 year later
That story is in - 'The Rangers - Scotland's Greatest Football Club'

The game mentioned is against Nice in 1956

Here's another one, shamelessly stolen from the H&H podcast.

Three men and two handshakes link our earliest days on Flesher's Haugh to the present day. Tom Vallance - our first Captain - was invited to the Grand Opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, at the Ne'erday game. Rangers won 3-0 and, after the game, Mr Vallance shook Bob McPhail's hand to congratulate him on the victory and on scoring one of the goals.

In January 1996 (in a 4-0 win against Raith Rovers), Ally McCoist broke Bob McPhail's scoring record which had stood for 50 years. Again, Mr McPhail attended as a guest of the club, and, after the game, shook hands with Ally to congratulate him on his achievement.

Three men and two handshakes spanning 146 years of history. No wonder we love this club!

Famed music hall artiste, George Robey, made an appearance for Rangers in Jackie Robertson's benefit match against Third Lanark in 1904.
George Robey was no novice to football, as he played a few games for Millwall

f9cb4.jpg

Three men and two handshakes link our earliest days on Flesher's Haugh to the present day. Tom Vallance - our first Captain - was invited to the Grand Opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, at the Ne'erday game. Rangers won 3-0 and, after the game, Mr Vallance shook Bob McPhail's hand to congratulate him on the victory and on scoring one of the goals.

In January 1996 (in a 4-0 win against Raith Rovers), Ally McCoist broke Bob McPhail's scoring record which had stood for 50 years. Again, Mr McPhail attended as a guest of the club, and, after the game, shook hands with Ally to congratulate him on his achievement.

Three men and two handshakes spanning 146 years of history. No wonder we love this club!
That is a cracker. My best mate at school was related to Bob McPhail and went to the same secondary as Super Ally.

Alfie Conn one of our Heroes of Barcelona has 2 Scottish Cup winner medals. One playing for Rangers against celik, the other playing for them against us.

Both he and his old man, Alfie Conn snr, scored goals against the filth in SC finals and gaining a winners' medal. His old man with Hearts in 56 and his son of course in 73.

I'm sure Ally would have shook Lee Wallace hand at some point on the pitch so still extends to this day

Waddell signed Peter McCloy from Motherwell and gave DJ his debut against Cowdenbeath.
Walter picked the two of them against Celtic in Glasgow Cup before Souness took official charge.
When Greame took over freed DJ and made Big Peter GK coach
didnt smith come in after souness i think souness said he was effectivly his first and best signing

That is superb

That is a belter.

How about 'fake news' things you thought were facts but turned out to not be true? I always thought for years that Colin Hendry was captain in the treble season.

Andy Goram played one game for Man U.

He actually managed two games. He played against Coventry in a 4-2 victory (pretty sure he was culpable for one of the goals) in a lunchtime kick off. Arsenal lost at home (possibly to Middlesbrough) later in the day and the title was clinched.

Also featured in one of the final games at the Dell where Southampton beat them 2-1.

He actually managed two games. He played against Coventry in a 4-2 victory (pretty sure he was culpable for one of the goals) in a lunchtime kick off. Arsenal lost at home (possibly to Middlesbrough) later in the day and the title was clinched.

Also featured in one of the final games at the Dell where Southampton beat them 2-1.
Did he get a league winners medal ??

I genuinely thought there was no way that two players (one was Terry Hurlock, can't mind the other:D) played in the same team. Not a chance in hell, I thought. A poster from years ago (Stan Smith) reckoned I was at it.

We were at an FF meeting in the Calvay Club and I called in reinforcements on the way up the stairs to back me up. Turned out I was wrong as a very knowledgeable guy rhymed off the games that both played in.

Having said that, my mate asked me today what the score was last time we played Hamilton? Without googling, can anyone else remember?

I couldn't.

All Rangers goals at Ibrox in the European Cup Winners Cup games leading us to Barcelona were scored in to the Broomloan Road end

Did that fat bastard Hartson either score or miss a penalty against Goram at Old Trafford while he (Hartson) was playing for Coventry??

Dave McPherson was let go by Souness, as soon as Souness was gone Walter brought McPherson back.

Smith brought McPherson back in 92 because the '3 foreigner' rule had been introduced (in 1991 I think), and even English players counted as foreigners for us.

Waddell signed Peter McCloy from Motherwell and gave DJ his debut against Cowdenbeath.
Walter picked the two of them against Celtic in Glasgow Cup before Souness took official charge.
When Greame took over freed DJ and made Big Peter GK coach
Derek didn't play in that Glasgow Cup Final. I think this is an urban myth

Iron Maiden's lead singer Bruce Dickinson once flew the Rangers team to Egypt for a European game

Back