Match Thread Rangers v Celtic - 15:00 Sunday - BT Sport

When Forster was in goals for them the first time, they were shocking at the back with Loovens and that big bald Swede - they were horrific and Smith's Rangers' had them, they were serial losers.

Roles reversed now however, he's in a team used to winning and it shows.

This situation reminds me ironically of our 9 in a row run when Celtic would batter us for 90 mins and we would sneak out a 1-0 win. Specifically the cup semi where David Robertson was sent off after 5 mins then McCoist scored and we held out for a 1-0 win. We had experience and a strong winning mentality in the squad, we don’t now.

It's been going on for A LONG time bud the parallels are incredible. What can we learn from it? Keep the faith in what you're doing and improve the weak areas of the team. Hugely difficult to keep swallowing defeat but we have to believe we are getting ever closer.

Sat back on the bus now, soaked and miserable. Not really the time for too many reflections on the game; but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team dominate a game so totally and yet still never really looked like we believed we deserved to.

Ran out of ideas as soon as they went down to 10 men. Far too many slack, lazy passes. Too many players looked fragile.

At least 3 or 4 players in that team bottled it today. Morelos should have been subbed as he looked as though he was too desperate and wasn’t composed. He wasted too many chances.
Aye agreed when his head went down he threw the towel in and shouldve been subbed. He will be gutted as well.

Tsvernier has effectively sold the Jersey. It's the biggest moment in his rangers career and he decides to give it to the player who has never took one.

Hes almost surrendering responsibility if it goes wrong. This is not what captains do. It really has to be said.

He should never captain us again

Or looking at the positives we were so dominant, so much better than them and if it wasn't for a missed penalty, an offside goal etc..... We gave them a lesson in how to play football

During the week, Tav was given a hard time for saying 'we have to defend for our lives', today, you saw a Celtic team that actually had to. I don't think any one of us predicted that before the game.

It was like playing Kilmarnock.

Why I said we have 2 so they are the first options. Wouldnt have had a problem with either taking it. So you can start with that ;)

You will get no argument from me that Tav should have taken it - as I said pre-kick-off. Many, many on here were aghast at the idea and have been touting Morelos for penalties for weeks.

As for Barisic, 4 out of 6 isn't a great record either so that still baffles me.

Better team. Got to win. Cant lose goals from set pieves. Collum is a long line of cheating officials we have to do something about.

We really didn't do much wrong apart from coming up against an inspired goalkeeper and a linesman not picking up on a blatant offside,
I think there was a post at the beginning of the thread that said the officials would have big say on the winners of the game,It turned out to be correct.

It's time our club took these cunts to task mentally challengeds in every department officiating this game collum is a cheating wee lady's front bottom.
I'm sure this honest mistake clip will be looped 24/7 on Sky Sports, BT, BBC, STV etc etc and the Lino sacked from teaching at Our Lady of the Immaculate kiddyfiddle High School.

absolutely gutting. At least it shows were not as far behind them as some might like to think.

very fine margins, and other than a missed penalty and excellent goalkeeping performance we would have won that.

You will get no argument from me that Tav should have taken it - as I said pre-kick-off. Many, many on here were aghast at the idea and have been touting Morelos for penalties for weeks.

As for Barisic, 4 out of 6 isn't a great record either so that still baffles me.

I'm in agreement re Tav but is Morelos record not something like 2 out of 3? Maybe 2 out of 4 now? Wrong choice for Tav not to take and for me, wrong choice of player to give it too

Barker is absolutely awful. I worry when we have a guy like him on the bench rather than a promising youngster. Barker can't control the ball, can't pick a pass and for a guy that's meant to have pace, can't even beat a slow fullback. As long as we still have guys like him, Ojo and Stewart to come on and change a game, we are still well short.

A bad signing, he's just a poor footballer.

Watched him a lot last season playing for Preston, thought he was poor then & not seen anything to make me change my mind.

Complete waste of a shirt & wage.

Too many missed opportunities and poor decisions by the ref & linesman.

Morelos is feeling the pressure and tried too hard to score.

Sutton should never commentate on a Rangers game again screaming for Morelos to be sent off and no doubt that will be all over papers tomorrow.

It’s a hard one to take but hopefully we’ll win on Thursday and onto 55 come May

No Surrender

Just bad luck today. Maybe in more games Defoe should start but it is easy to say that after the event. We need to do more at corners I thought the game against the sheep was more disappointing as we did not play in the second half. Today we ga ve our all for the whole game. Must now forget that today and go forward and beat Young Boys

I'm in agreement re Tav but is Morelos record not something like 2 out of 3? Maybe 2 out of 4 now? Wrong choice for Tav not to take and for me, wrong choice of player to give it too

Tav's overall record is fine but poor recently. Even Defoe, whom many might have wanted, has missed 9 out of 29 (a poorer overall record than Tav).

Fact of the matter is, Morelos penalty attempt was shit. It matters not that he was given responsibility, what matters is the fact that he blew it.

You’re right. He’s getting grief for not squaring it to Kent when the pass is blocked too. That’s FF for you though.

We just need to maintain this and eventually we should have a chance fall that’s more straightforward with more of the goal to aim at. Maybe we can nick a goal from a set piece, we look dominant in the air but just can’t get the right direction on the ball.
I didn’t want to come on for a while but this was one of the points I was making to friends earlier.
Every chance he had, other than the penalty, was well wide of the goal.
I’d suggest the keeper was always favourite.

How do you know that Gerrard hadn't already given instructions that Alfie was to take any penalties?
Why would Tavenier run over and pick the ball up stand at the spot then hand the ball to Morelos if The Manager had told them Morelos was now on penalties..??

I can guarantee you were one the roasters demanding that he never took another one after the last game. Alfie misses a penalty and Tav gets the blame. Mensa member I imagine.
Of course he gets the blame. He made the decision. Captains dont pass responsibilities in high pressure situations.

It's been going on for A LONG time bud the parallels are incredible. What can we learn from it? Keep the faith in what you're doing and improve the weak areas of the team. Hugely difficult to keep swallowing defeat but we have to believe we are getting ever closer.

We defo are getting closer but my worry is will it be in time to stop their 10 in a row and before an epl club tempts SG.

During the week, Tav was given a hard time for saying 'we have to defend for our lives', today, you saw a Celtic team that actually had to. I don't think any one of us predicted that before the game.

It was like playing Kilmarnock.
Oh that's all right well

All in all
Precisely mate. Hindsight is wonderful. Some can't wait to get on Tav's case whatever he decides, however he plays - and he played well today IMHO.
I agree, and he wasn't the only one. I think we won just about every individual battle all over the pitch. It's really disappointing to lose but that was a far more dominant performance than either of the 2 times we beat them last year.

What is apparent is that even when we play well against them it's too much fire in the heart, not enough ice in the head when we get in to the big moments. Unfortunately the legacy of the 8 years of gimme trophies for them is they have that winning mentality.

What is important is how we respond. After the Murty 3-2 loss we should have came out with the mentality we played as well as them but never got the breaks, win the next one. Instead we folded completely and mailed in the next 2.

Sore one. Sorest I can remember, but fk it. By far the better team and only beaten by an offside goal. Learn and move on. Nothing else we can do.

Why would Tavenier run over and pick the ball up stand at the spot then hand the ball to Morelos if The Manager had told them Morelos was now on penalties..??

I've no doubt SG will get asked about penalties in his press conference & his response will be interesting.

I'm soul destroyed and fcuking gutted to the core as everyone else but even this raw can see we battered them and were by far the better team and any other game win that by a cricket score and it's done by halftime!! Their keeper had a "worldy" and that's typical of our luck but we hammered them and have nothing to fear from them at all especially if we play like that!!

For all on here saying their usual negative bullshit about us being bottlers, nonsense!! You'll always find and look for and revel in the negatives and should be looking at your own selves and question your own part in the way you support us and the effect you have on our players you single out and constantly slaughter!! Fact is we played exactly how you all would have wanted us to today before a ball was kicked, just wasn't our day and it's sickening and I'm still numb but we need to pick ourselves up and use the pain to take us forward to our main season objective, winning 55!! I believe even more after today we will bring the league trophy back home where it belongs!!

Can everyone that's slagging the decision to have Morelos take the penalty honestly say they weren't over the moon before he hit it? I know I definitely was and he was the only person I would have wanted taking it!! Okay to be judge and jury after the fact, usual from the keyboard warriors!!

No Surrender Rangers!! Real hard result to take today, but we will have our day soon and under SG and that team!! WATP!!

I am not one for victimisation but who was that linesman today. Forget VAR any self respecting or even competent linesman should have spotted the offside, it was not difficult. It is just blatant cheating.

We really didn't do much wrong apart from coming up against an inspired goalkeeper and a linesman not picking up on a blatant offside,
I think there was a post at the beginning of the thread that said the officials would have big say on the winners of the game,It turned out to be correct.

Good teams take it out of the hands of the officials.

we had 16 shots 7 on target they had 5 shots 1 on target
any other day we would've won 3-1
we are matching them man for man
ffs we don't have any devine rights to win games.
we are still 3 players away from a winning team.
no faults with the ref today morelos could've bee sent off too.
we had a penalty , they got a guy sent off what more do we need.
i'm as gutted as the next guy though but we have nothing to fear now
and should go all out to win the league.

Tav's overall record is fine but poor recently. Even Defoe, whom many might have wanted, has missed 9 out of 29 (a poorer overall record than Tav).

Fact of the matter is, Morelos penalty attempt was shit. It matters not that he was given responsibility, what matters is the fact that he blew it.
It does matter though. You dont shift responsibility

While I agree to an extent, should he have taken it and missed there would nigh on be a lynch mob out for him
For anyone calling him a shite bag I think it took courage to pass it on . It's not as if he gave it to someone you would not expect to slot it home ..f@#king gutted none the less
Fully agree. If Tav has been told to give it to Morelos then no issues, if he has bottled it then should he really be our Captain?

Dominated that game, not sure how they got away with running that clock down the way they did which killed any momentum we had left. Why did Stewart not get on when we needed a goal?

Reminds me of when Andy Goram saved us. Gutted but it shows we are better than them and foster wont have another game like that in his life. Thought the team played well and I'll not criticize them for losing to an offside goal. But that bloody penalty broke my heart.
Penalty miss kind of summed us up today .
On the front foot for the majority of the game.from about half an hour in it kind of looked like one of those days.
And Forster having a worldy didn't help .
I would dismiss lack of bottle as the reason for defeat . As well as we played there were two or three players who did not hit the heights of the past few months
Not having a go at them at all but barasic Kent and Alfie were not as good as they have been and that unfortunately was the difference.☹️

I've no doubt SG will get asked about penalties in his press conference & his response will be interesting.
Well hes just said Alfredo was nominated penalty taker, got to respect his answer but I don't know if he is covering for his Captain.. if the Gaffer says Morelos was nominated penalty taker then that's the end of that matter.

Stevie G just said that Alfie was nominated penalty taker. I think tav was offering to take it off his hands. Good captaincy IMHO, however Alfie has too much scar tissue now.... And so does tav.

Genuinely we are a leader away from greatness. Leader is not Tav

Back