Rangers v Kilmarnock - Match Thread

atcolin

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
KpHeNV0_d.jpg

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is expecting a positive reaction from his squad when they host Kilmarnock on Wednesday.

Gerrard warned after Sunday's 1-0 Betfred Cup semi-final loss to Aberdeen that his players must improve their quality in the final third or he would find replacements.

The squad have their first chance to show a reaction when they host Kilmarnock on Wednesday night.

"The players look ready and raring to go," the former Liverpool captain said.

"We have analysed it and spoken to individual players and spoke to the team collectively but there's nothing we can do to change the result. It was a disappointment but good teams and good players react in the right way and try to get back to winning ways.

"And we've got a good group of lads in there, we've got a good team spirit."

Kilmarnock, managed by Gerrard's former Liverpool colleague Steve Clarke, travel to Ibrox three points and three places ahead of Rangers.

"I know Steve will come and try and frustrate us, he will try and get the crowd on our back," Gerrard said. "And he's got a good team and good players.

"Whether we beat them or not at their place is irrelevant, it's a different game and they are coming in with confidence, so it will be a really good test for us.

"But I think our lads are lucky because this game comes around pretty quickly. The worst thing you want after a semi-final loss is a long time to wait to play again.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing the reaction of my players."

Team news
Gerrard has strikers Alfredo Morelos and Kyle Lafferty available again.

Ovie Ejaria is a doubt with an ankle knock and Borna Barisic faces another couple of weeks out with a muscle problem while Graham Dorrans and Jamie Murphy (both knee) are long-term absentees.

Jordan Jones returns from a two-match ban for Kilmarnock but Kirk Broadfoot is a doubt with an on-going back issue.

Opta stats
  • Rangers have only won one of their last five league games against Kilmarnock (D2 L2), although that was their last encounter in May last season.
  • Kilmarnock have won two of their last five visits to Rangers in the Scottish Premiership (D1 L2). They had only won two of their first 25 away matches against the Gers in the competition prior to this.
  • Rangers are yet to lose at Ibrox under Steven Gerrard in all competitions, winning nine of their 11 home games under him (D2).
  • Since the start of September, no side has earned more points in the Scottish Premiership than Kilmarnock (16, level with Hearts).
  • Kris Boyd scored three of Kilmarnock's four league goals against his former side Rangers last season.

2 nil Teds!

Flanagan will need to be on his toes tonight if he’s up against Burke.

Want to see Katic come in and get a run of games starting tonight, if 100% fit obviously.

Doc Stone been benched????

This one is not going to be pretty. I expect Killie to sit in, hit us on the break or at set pieces. It is imperative we take our chances, of which there will be many. Keep a clean sheet, we win.

On nothing more than feelig i reckon there will be a significant dropping of 1 player tonight.

It wont be tavernier but as much as i loke him i could see candeias out altogether

I'll settle for us getting any win, but I think we'll win by a good few goals.
My reasoning is that although we're still a work in progress - hence dropping points/losses - we've progressed so far already and are well on our way to consistently becoming too much for most of the teams in the league.

As long as the players are under no illusion that one win over Kilmarnock will make up for Sunday.

IMO

Coulibaly, Candeias and Sadiq dropped to be replaced by Rossiter, Grezda and Morelos.
Ejaria out injured, replaced by Arfield

Halliday at LB would not surprise me either.
Wouldn't be disappointed to see this.

IMO

Coulibaly, Candeias and Sadiq dropped to be replaced by Rossiter, Grezda and Morelos.
Ejaria out injured, replaced by Arfield

Halliday at LB would not surprise me either.

Yeah I'm thinking the same. Although McCrorie might be in with a shout too.

I say 3-0 Rangers Morelos and Lafferty. There is going to be a minute's silence tonight in tribute to the horrible helicopter crash in Leicester on Saturday night

Had bad feeling leading up to Spartak and Sunday. Got a much better feeling about tonight for some reason. I reckon we'll come out and prove a point. 3 or 4 -0

Need a Positive reaction after Sunday.
Get at their throats from the first whistle to the last please.
Confident of a win tonight
3-0 the Sons of William.
C'MON THE RANGERS! ! ! ! ! ! ;);)

Start like we did against Hearts and just go for their f.ucking throats. Be relentless.

Anything less than 3 points is simply not an option.

FWIW I think we will destroy these c.unts tonight.

you just know they are going to sit in, frustrate and foul their way in the match.

they'll be looking for the crowd to get on the players backs.

Not so sure the gaffer will make a lot of changes.
Alfie for Sadiq is an obvious no brainer.
If Ovie is not fit then Arfield will probably replace him.
I think the back 4 will be the same as Sunday.
I'd like to see Rossiter play the attacking midfielder though.

Back